Benedict Cumberbatch As Doctor Strange Joins The Cast Of Spider-Man 3

JayC

According to THR, actor Benedict Cumberbatch who we all know plays Doctor Strange in the MCU will be joining Tom Holland in Sony's third Spider-Man movie.

Following last week's news that actor Jamie Foxx would be reprising his role as Electro, last seen in the Andrew Garfield The Amazing Spider-Man 2 movie, this latest revelation give further credence to the theories that that Spider-Man 3 will have a strong Multiverse tie-in. The next Doctor Strange movie after all is titled Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness.

Spider-Man-3.jpg

Hmmm, okay I sure hope this doesn't lend support (which it really probably does) to the whole Multi-verse Spider-Men speculation, I really don't want to revist Toby Maguire and Andrew Garfield I don't want them to exist in any shape or form in this MCU, no thanks

spacer.png

1 hour ago, hellshock138 said:

I would like them to focus on Spidey being Spidey and build some of his mythology...not send him to Europe or other dimensions or have him meet Thanos before JJJ. 

Here, here. They need to build up Spider-Man...not Spidey trying to be in this or that group, not a part of the guys who WERE Spider-Man, not sidekick to Iron Man...

But.., you must admit that a box set featuring all 3 Spideys would be huge

if this happened we’d need the original Maguire suit, Garfield’s from ASM 1, and whatever suit Holland will wear in this movie. Add in unmasked for each actor and Hasbro will be printing money

I also see the point that Spidey’s mythos  should be built around Spidey first before he ends up in Universe wide team ups and cosmic threats.

i love  Holland’s version but his Spidey really hasn’t stood on his own yet and now they are thinking of adding two more Spideys as mentors.. sheesh 

3 hours ago, leokearon said:

Still not keen on the idea of Into the Live Action Spider-Verse

I am right there as well. I would prefer seeing Spidey facing off against The Sinister Six or something or get introduced to the Kingpin of Crime.

48 minutes ago, Dodge76 said:

I am right there as well. I would prefer seeing Spidey facing off against The Sinister Six or something or get introduced to the Kingpin of Crime.

I think it's a bit early for the Sinister Six, maybe a smaller group first.

54 minutes ago, leokearon said:

I think it's a bit early for the Sinister Six, maybe a smaller group first.

Nah, they have rebooted Spidey so many times and introduced villains that he has already fought that I feel they can just bypass certain origin stories and be alright. Just skip ahead a little with some narration feeling in the gap on how he's doing and he has already battled the likes of Electro, Sandman, Kraven, and Lizard. Those are origin stories I don't want to see again on the big screen. Doc Ock and Green Goblin story arcs also but I feel they should have already had Spidey more established when Iron Man hooked up with him with Spidey already beaten those guys so we as an audience don't have to sit through all that again. But we got what we got. I am sure its only a matter of time till they replace this Spidey with Miles Morales so why not give us the Sinister Six while they are able too. 

2 hours ago, Dodge76 said:

Nah, they have rebooted Spidey so many times and introduced villains that he has already fought that I feel they can just bypass certain origin stories and be alright. Just skip ahead a little with some narration feeling in the gap on how he's doing and he has already battled the likes of Electro, Sandman, Kraven, and Lizard. Those are origin stories I don't want to see again on the big screen. Doc Ock and Green Goblin story arcs also but I feel they should have already had Spidey more established when Iron Man hooked up with him with Spidey already beaten those guys so we as an audience don't have to sit through all that again. But we got what we got. I am sure its only a matter of time till they replace this Spidey with Miles Morales so why not give us the Sinister Six while they are able too. 

Introducing a large number of villains without any set-up is going to be disaster. None will be developed properly and most movies struggle to deal with two new villains, let alone six. If they hadn't killed off Mysterio, they might have a small chance.

57 minutes ago, McHogan said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that we haven’t seen the last of Mysterio

his whole thing is lies and misdirection.. just saying, faking his death isn’t out of the realm of possibility 

yeah but they did have EDITH confirm he was dead, but nothing stopping another Mysterio from appearing

17 hours ago, leokearon said:

Introducing a large number of villains without any set-up is going to be disaster. None will be developed properly and most movies struggle to deal with two new villains, let alone six. If they hadn't killed off Mysterio, they might have a small chance.

Spidey is already a disaster in my opinion with the already two reboots. I already stated how they could handle a Sinister Six team up. My main comment was that I would rather see a Sinister Six team up then the Multiverse stuff they have planned. I am not paying money for what they have planned. You are just wanting to argue so I am putting you back on ignore. 

On 10/9/2020 at 3:34 AM, leokearon said:

Still not keen on the idea of Into the Live Action Spider-Verse

Yeah, this definitely feels like some Sony exec saying, "Hey, that Spider-verse film was really popular! Let's made the live version just like it!!"

Although i guess Feige as input here and the multiverse is supposedly a big part of phase 4 so who knows.

I do know that i am not particularly eager to revisit Maguire or Garfield Spidey. I enjoyed Maguire spidey back in the day but its a different beast from the Holland films, and i didn't particularly enjoy the Garfield movies.

Much like in the comics, seeing versions of characters from other universes is fun once in a while but having constant interactions just lowers any dramatic stakes imo.

Hopefully Spidey 3 will be good anyhow and i'll end up eating my words

4 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

Yeah, this definitely feels like some Sony exec saying, "Hey, that Spider-verse film was really popular! Let's made the live version just like it!!"

Although i guess Feige as input here and the multiverse is supposedly a big part of phase 4 so who knows.

I do know that i am not particularly eager to revisit Maguire or Garfield Spidey. I enjoyed Maguire spidey back in the day but its a different beast from the Holland films, and i didn't particularly enjoy the Garfield movies.

Much like in the comics, seeing versions of characters from other universes is fun once in a while but having constant interactions just lowers any dramatic stakes imo.

Hopefully Spidey 3 will be good anyhow and i'll end up eating my words

It's like Disney and their desire to do realistic versions of their animated movies.

It is clear that the multiverse is going to be a big part of Phase 4, given WandaVision and I think Loki also link to Dr. Strange 2

Ever since news broke several weeks ago about actor Jamie Foxx reprising his role as Electro for Sony's Spider-Man 3 movie that stars Tom Holland, rumors have been rampant that previous Spider-Man actors Tobey Maguire & Andrew Garfield would also be joining the cast.

According to Entertainment Tonight, Sony is neither confirming or denying that possibility. According to them a Sony rep told them the following when asked about Garfield and Maquire:

“Those rumoured castings are not confirmed,”

Just last week it was confirmed that Benedict Cumberbatch would be reprising his role as Doctor Strange for the movie giving more credence the plot of the film will have some kind of Multiverse theme. After all the next Doctor Strange movie is titled Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness.

Since Sony isn't flat out denying the Tobey Maguire & Andrew Garfield casting rumors, that likely means that things are still being negotiated between the studio and the two actors, or it's a done deal and the studio is waiting for the right time to make the official announcement. If things are still in the negotiating stage, that could certainly mean things don't work out and one or both of the actors could walk away from the negotiating table. We will just have to wait and see.

Spider-Man_actors.jpg

On 10/16/2020 at 6:36 AM, JayC said:

Ever since news broke several weeks ago about actor Jamie Foxx reprising his role as Electro for Sony's Spider-Man 3 movie that stars Tom Holland, rumors have been rampant that previous Spider-Man actors Tobey Maguire & Andrew Garfield would also be joining the cast....

According to Entertainment Tonight, Sony is neither confirming or denying that possibility....

Since Sony isn't flat out denying the Tobey Maguire & Andrew Garfield casting rumors, that likely means that things are still being negotiated between the studio and the two actors, or it's a done deal and the studio is waiting for the right time to make the official announcement....

Spider-Man_actors.jpg

Well they seem to be back pedaling, or at least hedging their bets, don't they?  I'd say take it with a grain of salt....especially with the news where Tatiana Maslany says she's NOT playing She-Hulk, despite many news outlets saying she was. 

9 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Well they seem to be back pedaling, or at least hedging their bets, don't they?  I'd say take it with a grain of salt....especially with the news where Tatiana Maslany says she's NOT playing She-Hulk, despite many news outlets saying she was. 

That's the problem these days, too many leaks and rumours and not enough official releases and verified sources