Marvel Select 7" Fantastic Four Human Torch Figure Revealed

JayC

Actually, not all that impressive. It's a simple translucent gimmick. Might as well throw some glitter in there somewhere. Is the head sculpt better, mmmmmeh.....maybe. I I prefer to think it more comes from people wishing ML woulda done something a little closer to this, but this is far from the definitive Human Torch. Even the accessories are lame. It's just a glorified figure stand that makes him look like he's just floating in space instead of flying. And what's up with those red marshmallow things on his hands? The ML versions are far from perfect but this...this is a half-assed attempt at best.

This looks unappealing. It could be the posing but it just looks meh to me..  Plus we all know Hasbro is going in hard next spring with their FF wave. I'll save my bitcoins.  Hopefully we and get and Android human torch alternate head. 

Yeah this doesn't seem like it's it, it's looks like it doesn't belong in this era, at least from these pictures, looks blocky and diminutive in the articulation department, sure it's got the color right,  and it's translucent, firey stand check, and that's about it, same usual toy tricks, I don't really like it.

Just me, but I don't think they should cast Iceman or Human Torch in clear unless they do a wash over it, I mean these characters (as I remember them) are not see through in the comics.  And I agree that we will probably see more FF in 2021, so hopefully we get a definitive Human Torch along with great versions of the rest. I would love to see the red with black dashes/lines all over, like I remember him from when I was a kid!

Its a big pass for me too, I never really liked any of the Marvel Select figures I've bought in the past. Other than a Hulk and Colossus I traded them all off. I should have gotten Odin/Destroyer when I had the chance but lost my window there. 

17 minutes ago, RAMCAT said:

I know I’ve said time and time again — just hoping the ML team doesn’t take the transparent route on another Torch. Wouldn’t necessarily be a deal breaker for me but I would give much more kudos for that flat, classic comic art look.

Agreed.  What an odd choice!  The Torch is never depicted as translucent in any 2-D artwork.  I think the way to go is an opaque figure in red & black with translucent yellow flames sculpted on.  And some of the flames should be removable/snap-on like they've been doing.  Please, no fiery "4" logo on his chest, either.  Don't get fancy and don't overthink it.

1 hour ago, Gigantor said:

That is all they have to do. My God, it isn't rocket science! Who at Marvel told the ML Hasbro team that the Human Torch is translucent!!!???  He's a man on fire, not made of fire! Same goes for Iceman!

I agree I always never understood why everyone who makes a all fire or all ice/water character in figure form, they think they need to make them translucent, these characters have organs they are not transparent in the art, just seems like a gimmick that needs to go off to pasture, it's not like it wouldn't be easier to paint them solid with a few translucent effect pieces.?, why go through all of the work to make the figure less accurate and generally undesired, we are not in 93' and in awe over a magically new toy gimmick we haven't seen before.

This looks like a Toy Biz figure from The Fantastic Four movie toy line. Echoing what others have said- Johnny Storm is not translucent, he's a guy who is on fire. An opaque figure with translucent flame accessories is the way to go. And, agreed- I strongly prefer that it not have the "4" logo on his chest. This is an easy pass for me. I would also be all over a proper Golden Age Human Torch figure. 

How cool can translucent be when all the joints and inner workings are exposed and unsightly? Especially when the character they're trying to portray is no freaking see through? This is a lowbrow gimmick that just a small few have tendencies towards. Is it different? Yeah, I guess. Is it accurate? Hell no. Is it relevant? That's subjective. If you like it, you like it, but this is nowhere near one of the better interpretations of Human Torch. The damn thing looks like a piece of candy, and not even a good flavor, like cherry, but a more suck-ish flavor like cinnamon or watermelon.

17 minutes ago, monron999 said:

How cool can translucent be when all the joints and inner workings are exposed and unsightly? Especially when the character they're trying to portray is no freaking see through? This is a lowbrow gimmick that just a small few have tendencies towards. Is it different? Yeah, I guess. Is it accurate? Hell no. Is it relevant? That's subjective. If you like it, you like it, but this is nowhere near one of the better interpretations of Human Torch. The damn thing looks like a piece of candy, and not even a good flavor, like cherry, but a more suck-ish flavor like cinnamon or watermelon.

Woah, WOAH, I will not have you disparage cinnamon in such a way, sir!