Marvel Legends Fantastic Four Retro 6" Dr. Doom Figure Video Review And Images

JayC

I literally LOL’d seeing Dr. Doom throw a book at Reed.. that’s is some funny stuff there..

I was on the fence but decided to grab this guy when i find him. I really like the lighter colors and accessories. The soft goods bib or whatever it is, is the worst part of this figure. Glad it is easily removed. 

I know there was some discussion on the length of Doom’s ...erm... skirt but seeing the older figures with Doom showing off his sexy legs makes me think they made the right decision on its length..I guess that’s the difference between 21 year old Doom and 40 year old Doom 😂

56 minutes ago, McHogan said:

I literally LOL’d seeing Dr. Doom throw a book at Reed.. that’s is some funny stuff there..

I was on the fence but decided to grab this guy when i find him. I really like the lighter colors and accessories. The soft goods bib or whatever it is, is the worst part of this figure. Glad it is easily removed. 

I know there was some discussion on the length of Doom’s ...erm... skirt but seeing the older figures with Doom showing off his sexy legs makes me think they made the right decision on its length..I guess that’s the difference between 21 year old Doom and 40 year old Doom 😂

Actually its not a skirt, its a tunic. Basically an overshirt; some were thigh length, some knee length and some went a bit further. Often a belt was worn around the waist which has led some people (even marvel comic artists) to call the bottom part a "skirt". I saw some artist's notes for drawing Robin, and they referred to the bottom portion of his tunic as a skirt as if it were a separate piece. Tunics were often worn over armor as Doom does, and just as often for just daily wear. Of course if he wanted to wear a skirt that's his choice. I personally prefer the shorter tunic length so as not to impede the leg articulation. Hasbro Legends team really need to cut in seams for this kind of thing in the future to allow for movement. Same thing goes for the "hair" on some figures (Thunderbird for example could've had the hair on the back of his head molded shorter, which would allow for better movement of the head).

The collar piece or mantle Shart is referring to was indeed part of Dr Doom's first appearance outfit. Its basically styled after medieval clothing wear. These collars were often part of the hood and worn over the cloak, but there were variants as well where its all one piece.

t1.jpg

4 hours ago, Satam said:

Hasbro probably shouldn't have molded the charts and writing and stuff in the book so they could have printed other stuff in there.

Yeah, it would have been a smarter idea to leave the cover and inside plain so they could do something like tampo on the designs

I think this is a poor attempt by Hasbro in cashing on one of their better figure, by adding a "cloth bib"; yes that's what I'm going to call it. We've gotten the "needed" blast effects for Doom's back thrusters but the plastic cape just hides it. A soft-goods cape would've been nice,  not to mention an unhelmeted headsculpt and lightning hands, instead of the other re-used accessories.

On 10/19/2020 at 10:00 PM, Atlantis said:

Actually its not a skirt, its a tunic. Basically an overshirt; some were thigh length, some knee length and some went a bit further. Often a belt was worn around the waist which has led some people (even marvel comic artists) to call the bottom part a "skirt". I saw some artist's notes for drawing Robin, and they referred to the bottom portion of his tunic as a skirt as if it were a separate piece. Tunics were often worn over armor as Doom does, and just as often for just daily wear. Of course if he wanted to wear a skirt that's his choice. I personally prefer the shorter tunic length so as not to impede the leg articulation. Hasbro Legends team really need to cut in seams for this kind of thing in the future to allow for movement. Same thing goes for the "hair" on some figures (Thunderbird for example could've had the hair on the back of his head molded shorter, which would allow for better movement of the head).

The collar piece or mantle Shart is referring to was indeed part of Dr Doom's first appearance outfit. Its basically styled after medieval clothing wear. These collars were often part of the hood and worn over the cloak, but there were variants as well where its all one piece.

t1.jpg

Well ok haha,  As always great info.

my only other preferred look that Hasbro could get me to buy this guy a third time is the Secret Wars version.. not very practical as warrior garb but that limited series was so impactful to me  as a child that I would absolutely love that version of Doom

3 hours ago, McHogan said:

Well ok haha,  As always great info.

my only other preferred look that Hasbro could get me to buy this guy a third time is the Secret Wars version.. not very practical as warrior garb but that limited series was so impactful to me  as a child that I would absolutely love that version of Doom

1402045E-5509-4400-BE28-8C116385AEF2.jpeg

F08F62B6-161E-4944-A87F-0DD0C45E68ED.jpeg

I think a LOT of people share your view on Secret Wars' versions....I'm kind of surprised they didn't use that theme with the just-announced "retro" series. 

10 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

I think a LOT of people share your view on Secret Wars' versions....I'm kind of surprised they didn't use that theme with the just-announced "retro" series. 

It would be really cool to see a "Retro Series" of Secret Wars Marvel Legends. Doom is the only particularly unique one, but it would still be cool to get repaints of Iron Man, Hobgoblin, Cap, etc. on cards inspired by the old Secret Wars toy line, along with Doom in his Secret Wars getup. They could even throw in some characters who weren't in Mattel's toy line, but were in the Secret Wars comic mini-series. The Secret Wars series is still very well known, and a lot of people have nostalgia for Mattel's toy line. 

10 hours ago, The Mad Bubbler said:

It would be really cool to see a "Retro Series" of Secret Wars Marvel Legends. Doom is the only particularly unique one, but it would still be cool to get repaints of Iron Man, Hobgoblin, Cap, etc. on cards inspired by the old Secret Wars toy line, along with Doom in his Secret Wars getup. They could even throw in some characters who weren't in Mattel's toy line, but were in the Secret Wars comic mini-series. The Secret Wars series is still very well known, and a lot of people have nostalgia for Mattel's toy line. 

"Make the earth a living TooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOMB!"

SECRET WARS TOY AD DEC84.jpg-From DJ Dr. Doom's best selling rap album, "Straight Outta Latveria".

Check it out, yo.

1 hour ago, The Mad Bubbler said:

I believe they can't uses the Secret Wars packaging because it was designed by Mattel, so they would own the rights to it.

Still I would love to see a Marvel legends Secret Wars Doom, I have the original and Hobgoblin I got in a second hand shop

Didn't gentle giant do Jumbo scale line of secret wars replica figures tho? I think they arranged special agreement  with both Marvel  and Mattel because it had their logo but considering how iconic and important Secret Wars is as a toy line I think eventually they have to make tribute line be it exact replicas or just blister card with ML scale figures.  and by Odin's beard I hope Reviewers are't serious when they say they want Toad figure with that fabric collar it will look drastically inferior to ML series 1 toad, this fabric collar works here because it's mostly used with hoodie and cape.

2 hours ago, SpiderS said:

Didn't gentle giant do Jumbo scale line of secret wars replica figures tho? I think they arranged special agreement  with both Marvel  and Mattel because it had their logo but considering how iconic and important Secret Wars is as a toy line I think eventually they have to make tribute line be it exact replicas or just blister card with ML scale figures.  and by Odin's beard I hope Reviewers are't serious when they say they want Toad figure with that fabric collar it will look drastically inferior to ML series 1 toad, this fabric collar works here because it's mostly used with hoodie and cape.

yeah Gentle Giant had a special agreement to make them. The original press release for those figures, mentions they obtained the licence