Is Closed Box Packaging An Option For Marvel Legends?!?

JayC

Hm I'm not sure tbh, if using closed box package will affect cost and will make it cheaper for them than they have to put saved up money towards better quality control so we won't get horrible paint apps. But I can't see how it's going to make figure appealing on shelves? I would think that something similar to rotocast figure packaging makes more sense since it displays figure but at cost of it being prone to part stealing/damage, but if they do boxes only for like web channel/amazon exclusives I'm def fine with that. 

Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 6.10.31 PM.png

The road to hell is paved with Hasbro's good intentions...

Star Wars collectors are faced with these same issues, and are not looking forward to the prospect of having an enclosed box with no potential to choose between the sloppy paint apps and switched out figures either. 

While Hasbro is trying to do something they view as good, and maybe the overall net effect on the planet may be a positive one, (the jury is still out on that), Hasbro forgets that when paper breaks down in an confined space, (like a dump, or in a trash bag), and can't breathe, it emits harmful chemicals as it breaks down, and gases that damages our ecosystem. So if the cardboard isn't recycled what the collectors are throwing away will be harmful to the environment as well. Not to mention the increased demand on the worlds lumbar supply which is growing steadily year after year.

Where both substances are able to be recycled, to me it would make more sense if Hasbro did away with frivolous lines that didn't sell - THAT would save the most plastic.

• 4 months later...

You may recall back in 2019 Hasbro announced an initiative to remove all plastic from their product packaging for environmental reasons. This would include the clear plastic front currently featured on most of their 6" action figure lines. The goal was to have this accomplished by 2022.

Well now it seems the folks at Yakface have gotten wind of a survey they are conducting with select participants getting their opinions on three different options we might see done with the 6" Black Series Star Wars line. Shown below are images of the three choices the participants have to choose from.

Now obviously the images show Star Wars based figures, but if one of these options are chosen for the Black Series line, I imagine we would end up seeing something similar for Marvel Legends as well. I am also not entirely sure who the actual participants for this survery are, but my guess they are select Hasbro retail partners.

From the three choices shown below, it looks as if the clear plastic has been removed completely on two of the three options. One of the choices looks to have a much smaller clear plastic window on the front so you can still see the figure inside a little bit.

Let us know in the COMMENTS, which option you would prefer to see Hasbro go with. If we learn of any similar survey's being conducted specifically for the Marvel Legends line we will be sure to let you know.New-Hasbro-Packaging.thumb.jpg.f1a5a67b2038b91aa5d851b02ce6403c.jpg

New-Hasbro-Packagin1.jpg

New-Hasbro-Packaging2.jpg

I prefer to be able to examine a figure so I can tell if the paint is ok but then again I have to use online stores to get my figures anyway and I don't really get to pick with that method so I guess it doesn't matter. My biggest issue with a fully cardboard box is that this will drop the cost of Hasbro's production and yet again none of that savings is being passed on to the customer since a higher price tag is coming. 

This is a good idea in concept but there are some seriously crazy bad implications in the long run. If these new boxes are anything like the old ones, just with no plastic window, people that love to swipe out figures are going to have it EASY and these boxes will be more like a gamble of loot boxes when buying them at retail stores. Bought a Thanos? came home with a gi joe. Thankfully I havent really bought any Legends at retail stores in a loong time but this will suck for those that do. Also not seeing the paint apps or if theres any defects wont be a great thing for some. Another is those that are MiB collectors. The main thing I see a draw for with those collectors is the friggin window and how the characters are displayed, be it in a pose or just how they are presented in general. Alot of bad for a potential good. Taking out a small percentage of plastic to hold a very large substantial piece of plastic kind of seems like its not really that much better. If I had to choose, Id select the small window option out of the 3. 

1 hour ago, The Mad Bubbler said:

Wait- so 2 of them have no window whatsoever, so people can just touch the figure?

No, there is no opening at all, you can't see the figure.

TF toys have started with the smaller window design with Kingdom and have no windows with the Generations Selects line, so I can see this happening with marvel legends and other lines. 

I can totally see them going forward with using that package that has the really small window, do I like it no, because QC issues and part swapping can happen, but at least there is a chance you can get a good face deco, but that might be the only for sure thing, who knows what lies beneath.

I don't know what to think about this the box will look nicer thats a given, but I and many other collectors like to look at the figures before buying them looking for better paint apps and certain other qualities. So I am not really feeling this. But it having an open flap thing would change my mind.

I don't think that's a small plastic window on option 2. I think that's a small opening with no barrier at all between figure and finger. In any event, the line will survive.

14 hours ago, EvilHayato said:

Taking out a small percentage of plastic to hold a very large substantial piece of plastic kind of seems like its not really that much better.

The biggest problem with plastic is that recycling it is usually either not at all cost effective or actually has a worse carbon footprint than just throwing it out, and that's when it's even recyclable at all. The figure may be the bigger chunk of plastic, but it's far less likely to be thrown away than its packaging. Taking plastic windows out of the equation is going to result in a huge amount of plastic not ending up in landfills.

35 minutes ago, Benn said:

I don't think that's a small plastic window on option 2. I think that's a small opening with no barrier at all between figure and finger. In any event, the line will survive.

The biggest problem with plastic is that recycling it is usually either not at all cost effective or actually has a worse carbon footprint than just throwing it out, and that's when it's even recyclable at all. The figure may be the bigger chunk of plastic, but it's far less likely to be thrown away than its packaging. Taking plastic windows out of the equation is going to result in a huge amount of plastic not ending up in landfills.

Well u r right it is cost effective and better for our environment. But damn it hurts my.collecting heart lol. Still honeslty won't be that big a deal anyways when I buy like half my figures online and u don't see the paint apps and stuff before hand so that being 100% of the time should not be a big deal. 

Aside from not being able to inspect for QC, the bigger issue with closed boxes is getting hosed by a fig swapper if you buy figures at WM or Target. so i would definitely prefer the option where you get to see that the right figure is in the box (although who knows if all the accessories and BAF piece are in there)

. I'd almost prefer to buy figures loose in a (reusable) ziploc baggie over closed box although obviously that isn't going to fly in the toy aisle.  Also i think i'd be more inclined to watch figure reviews before buying since you don't get a close look at the figure aside from the promo pics.

9 hours ago, Benn said:

I can understand it, it just seems like a crazy way of eliminating it. I get it tho and it wont really affect me overall since i do majority of my purchasing online. We are going to have so many fun swap stories after this tho. 

6 hours ago, ZufallX said:

1) That's not 3 different. It's the same box in 3 angles.

It is 3 different designs in EACH of the pictures. Each picture displays a box design in 3 angles. They arent drastically different except for the windowed box that actually displays a portion of the figure. I questioned it at first as well and then I had to look a bit closer.