Is Closed Box Packaging An Option For Marvel Legends?!?

JayC

2 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

Aside from not being able to inspect for QC, the bigger issue with closed boxes is getting hosed by a fig swapper if you buy figures at WM or Target. so i would definitely prefer the option where you get to see that the right figure is in the box (although who knows if all the accessories and BAF piece are in there)

I didnt even think of that seems like some solid points. But if they go this route wouldn't the box be really damaged if someone managed to "swap" steal parts of the figure? So I am.thinking there should be far less of that going on.

16 minutes ago, SUPREME007 said:

I didnt even think of that seems like some solid points. But if they go this route wouldn't the box be really damaged if someone managed to "swap" steal parts of the figure? So I am.thinking there should be far less of that going on.

It really depends on how they seal them. The problem with current Legends, Star Wars 6", etc. packaging is that it's just sealed with a few pieces of tape. What they should do anyway, but especially if they go with packaging that's solid or close to it, is glue-seal the boxes tightly, so that it's virtually impossible to to open them without it being obvious. 

3 hours ago, SUPREME007 said:

The closed boxed Transformers Generations selects have a huge label on the opening, which is very easy to see if it has been tampered with.

1 hour ago, RyanDaly said:

Like others who have already commented, the vast majority of my Marvel Legends purchases are done online where I can't inspect the quality of the specific figure I'm getting anyway. I would be perfectly fine with them going to closed box packaging.

Ya, it wouldn't be a problem for you or me or most of us here, mainly cuz we're familiar with all the molds and paint apps and general quality we expect from ML, but I think it would seriously suffer shelf presence at the brick and mortar stores. My kids are aging out of the toy phase now, but as a parent I would have a huge problem purchasing a now $23 product without actually seeing it.

10 hours ago, Flounnderr said:

So the toys and all the accessories are still made of plastic, right? 😉

Does it matter? I mean think about it. Say a collector is one the "MOC" crowd. They'll be paying 20+ bucks for a figure they'll never see!

I keep flashing back to all those horror stories of people buying X-Boxes and Playstations only to get home and find the boxes full of rocks or old phonebooks. I don't know what, if any, impact this would have on the environment (other than increasing the amount of trees we need to make cardboard), but it could be the start of a new golden age for shop-lifters and repackagers.

On 3/20/2021 at 4:18 PM, monron999 said:

Ya, it wouldn't be a problem for you or me or most of us here, mainly cuz we're familiar with all the molds and paint apps and general quality we expect from ML, but I think it would seriously suffer shelf presence at the brick and mortar stores. My kids are aging out of the toy phase now, but as a parent I would have a huge problem purchasing a now $23 product without actually seeing it.

See i was thinking this way a while ago like people who are not followers of the brand like you and I, so they have no familiarity with the product. So they are not gonna cough up $23 for a product like you said "without actaully seeing it". Like wouldn't this drawback the causal collectors? So could hurt the sales 🤷🏽‍♂️

50 minutes ago, SUPREME007 said:

See i was thinking this way a while ago like people who are not followers of the brand like you and I, so they have no familiarity with the product. So they are not gonna cough up $23 for a product like you said "without actaully seeing it". Like wouldn't this drawback the causal collectors? So could hurt the sales 🤷🏽‍♂️

There's a little rough spot in your logic. While I'm not as gung-ho as some, I do consider myself a serious collector. That being said, even I have a problem with the concept of dropping 23 bucks for a sight unseen action figure.

1 hour ago, mako said:

There's a little rough spot in your logic. While I'm not as gung-ho as some, I do consider myself a serious collector. That being said, even I have a problem with the concept of dropping 23 bucks for a sight unseen action figure.

As do I, it would trouble me to buy the product without viewing it. But i think if it were in my hands at a store I would still buy it due to my history of having some of the worst luck when it comes to hunting. Also, I do like a lot of online shopping so its essentially the same thing buying something I can't see. And a sidenote pains me to see the price to go up.

10 minutes ago, mako said:

Another potential wrinkle to "Blind-Box Buying" I've been thinking of is that some stores, like Walmart, won't accept returns on electronics that have been opened. I wonder how long it would be before they enacted a similar policy for action figures in enclosed packaging.

I don't think it would take long. The amount of returns Walmart will get if Legends go this route will become a huge hassle. You know good and well people will abuse this to get build a figure parts and money back on figures they just cram in there. 

21 minutes ago, sentinelofliberty41 said:

I don't think it would take long. The amount of returns Walmart will get if Legends go this route will become a huge hassle. You know good and well people will abuse this to get build a figure parts and money back on figures they just cram in there. 

Yeah pains me that we have to worry about that. People being scammers will never end.

34 minutes ago, SUPREME007 said:

Yeah pains me that we have to worry about that. People being scammers will never end.

It's almost ended me being  apart of the toy hobby to be honest. The scams, scalpers and people generally taking advantage of collectors and the collector mentality have forced me to stop collecting for the most part. Due to where I live my only choices anymore are preorders on bigbadtoystore/amazon or ebay which usually means spending more. Add the possibility of windowless packaging into the mix and its just going to get worse.