Jump to content

Is Closed Box Packaging An Option For Marvel Legends?!?


JayC
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

Aside from not being able to inspect for QC, the bigger issue with closed boxes is getting hosed by a fig swapper if you buy figures at WM or Target. so i would definitely prefer the option where you get to see that the right figure is in the box (although who knows if all the accessories and BAF piece are in there)

I didnt even think of that seems like some solid points. But if they go this route wouldn't the box be really damaged if someone managed to "swap" steal parts of the figure? So I am.thinking there should be far less of that going on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, SUPREME007 said:

I didnt even think of that seems like some solid points. But if they go this route wouldn't the box be really damaged if someone managed to "swap" steal parts of the figure? So I am.thinking there should be far less of that going on.

It really depends on how they seal them. The problem with current Legends, Star Wars 6", etc. packaging is that it's just sealed with a few pieces of tape. What they should do anyway, but especially if they go with packaging that's solid or close to it, is glue-seal the boxes tightly, so that it's virtually impossible to to open them without it being obvious. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SUPREME007 said:

I didnt even think of that seems like some solid points. But if they go this route wouldn't the box be really damaged if someone managed to "swap" steal parts of the figure? So I am.thinking there should be far less of that going on.

The closed boxed Transformers Generations selects have a huge label on the opening, which is very easy to see if it has been tampered with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RyanDaly said:

Like others who have already commented, the vast majority of my Marvel Legends purchases are done online where I can't inspect the quality of the specific figure I'm getting anyway. I would be perfectly fine with them going to closed box packaging.

Ya, it wouldn't be a problem for you or me or most of us here, mainly cuz we're familiar with all the molds and paint apps and general quality we expect from ML, but I think it would seriously suffer shelf presence at the brick and mortar stores. My kids are aging out of the toy phase now, but as a parent I would have a huge problem purchasing a now $23 product without actually seeing it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Flounnderr said:

So the toys and all the accessories are still made of plastic, right? 😉

 

Does it matter? I mean think about it. Say a collector is one the "MOC" crowd. They'll be paying 20+ bucks for a figure they'll never see!

I keep flashing back to all those horror stories of people buying X-Boxes and Playstations only to get home and find the boxes full of rocks or old phonebooks. I don't know what, if any, impact this would have on the environment (other than increasing the amount of trees we need to make cardboard), but it could be the start of a new golden age for shop-lifters and repackagers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/20/2021 at 4:18 PM, monron999 said:

Ya, it wouldn't be a problem for you or me or most of us here, mainly cuz we're familiar with all the molds and paint apps and general quality we expect from ML, but I think it would seriously suffer shelf presence at the brick and mortar stores. My kids are aging out of the toy phase now, but as a parent I would have a huge problem purchasing a now $23 product without actually seeing it.

See i was thinking this way a while ago like people who are not followers of the brand like you and I, so they have no familiarity with the product. So they are not gonna cough up $23 for a product like you said "without actaully seeing it". Like wouldn't this drawback the causal collectors? So could hurt the sales 🤷🏽‍♂️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, SUPREME007 said:

See i was thinking this way a while ago like people who are not followers of the brand like you and I, so they have no familiarity with the product. So they are not gonna cough up $23 for a product like you said "without actaully seeing it". Like wouldn't this drawback the causal collectors? So could hurt the sales 🤷🏽‍♂️

There's a little rough spot in your logic. While I'm not as gung-ho as some, I do consider myself a serious collector. That being said, even I have a problem with the concept of dropping 23 bucks for a sight unseen action figure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mako said:

There's a little rough spot in your logic. While I'm not as gung-ho as some, I do consider myself a serious collector. That being said, even I have a problem with the concept of dropping 23 bucks for a sight unseen action figure.

As do I, it would trouble me to buy the product without viewing it. But i think if it were in my hands at a store I would still buy it due to my history of having some of the worst luck when it comes to hunting. Also, I do like a lot of online shopping so its essentially the same thing buying something I can't see. And a sidenote pains me to see the price to go up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another potential wrinkle to "Blind-Box Buying" I've been thinking of is that some stores, like Walmart, won't accept returns on electronics that have been opened. I wonder how long it would be before they enacted a similar policy for action figures in enclosed packaging.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, mako said:

Another potential wrinkle to "Blind-Box Buying" I've been thinking of is that some stores, like Walmart, won't accept returns on electronics that have been opened. I wonder how long it would be before they enacted a similar policy for action figures in enclosed packaging.

I don't think it would take long. The amount of returns Walmart will get if Legends go this route will become a huge hassle. You know good and well people will abuse this to get build a figure parts and money back on figures they just cram in there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, sentinelofliberty41 said:

I don't think it would take long. The amount of returns Walmart will get if Legends go this route will become a huge hassle. You know good and well people will abuse this to get build a figure parts and money back on figures they just cram in there. 

Yeah pains me that we have to worry about that. People being scammers will never end.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, SUPREME007 said:

Yeah pains me that we have to worry about that. People being scammers will never end.

It's almost ended me being  apart of the toy hobby to be honest. The scams, scalpers and people generally taking advantage of collectors and the collector mentality have forced me to stop collecting for the most part. Due to where I live my only choices anymore are preorders on bigbadtoystore/amazon or ebay which usually means spending more. Add the possibility of windowless packaging into the mix and its just going to get worse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...







Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!


Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE