Marvel Legends Retro Spider-Man Cyborg Spider-Man?!?

JayC

10 minutes ago, JayC said:

Hasbro has officially announced that the 6" Marvel Legends Retro Cyborg Spider-Man figure will be released later this year as a Target exclusive in the US and EB Games

Cyborg-Spider-Man-01.jpg

Cyborg-Spider-Man-02.jpg

and for people living in Europe, keep an eye out on Etailers as they will more then likely get all three.

Hopefully they will reveal another retro for F4 as well. 

What?...who...whoa....?! Sorry, I fell asleep for a second, oh another Blink-And-You-Missed-It version of Spider-Man, never mind, I'm good. See, now this is the kinda crap they need to make into Target exclusives. Things that will create a little interest with certain fans and look cool and different enough to the casual fan, but not a "must have" to serious collectors. I'll pick him up if I see him (on sale), but it's not something I'll worry about if I miss out.

2 hours ago, tarot said:

and for people living in Europe, keep an eye out on Etailers as they will more then likely get all three.

Hopefully they will reveal another retro for F4 as well. 

Was half-expecting this to be the November Marvel Monday, since it isn't, that means another reveal in a few days time.

Not essential for me, but might still get it

Might be the first figure I can find zero redeeming qualities to justify picking up. Just personal opinion, with no connection to this era of Spidey and the so dumb it’s cool look about him just aren’t enough.. I mean, I picked up Apocalypse for a skull accessory and even I can see no reason to grab this guy

Well, I'm definitely in the minority of looking forward to this one it sounds like.  I certainly understand why.  It's an absurd thing, but I'm a fan of absurd.  Well, maybe it will be the Target exclusive that isn't a nightmare to try and get a hold of.

Since this is the internet and therefore the place to be pedantic, is "Cyborg Spider-Man" an odd title for the figure?  It's been forever since I read this story, but I think I remember that the "cybernetic" arm really just amounted to a high-tech cast to speed up healing a broken arm, and the eyepiece was just a high-tech monocle.  Like that was part of the joke, right?

1 hour ago, MonsterChris said:

Well, I'm definitely in the minority of looking forward to this one it sounds like.  I certainly understand why.  It's an absurd thing, but I'm a fan of absurd.  Well, maybe it will be the Target exclusive that isn't a nightmare to try and get a hold of.

Since this is the internet and therefore the place to be pedantic, is "Cyborg Spider-Man" an odd title for the figure?  It's been forever since I read this story, but I think I remember that the "cybernetic" arm really just amounted to a high-tech cast to speed up healing a broken arm, and the eyepiece was just a high-tech monocle.  Like that was part of the joke, right?

The design was officially given the name Cyborg Spider-man when it was given a toy in the old 5inch line. Since then when it appeared in Spider-man Unlimited game and the PS4 Spider-man it was called Cyborg Spider-man. It kind of like how all the Life Foundation symbiote didn't get names until the toys, games etc.

51Aoe8mStTL._AC_.jpg340?cb=20151006224826spider_man_ps4_spider_verse.jpg

2 hours ago, MonsterChris said:

You are right that cyborg Spider-Man isn't a cyborg at all, but "Cyborg Spider-Man" is a bit shorter than "Cyborg Spider-Man But Not Really" 😛

Not necessary, I admit, but I’m looking forward to this one. Pretty much only because of having/enjoying him as a kid.

I also keep in consideration that maybe certain folks on the ML team would like to see some of the nostalgic designs they remember from their childhood / teenhood.... young manhood, whatever 😃. Id say they have that right🤷‍♂️. Besides, if older boys don’t get this, kids will probably be like ooooh I want that robot Spider-Man ha.

3 hours ago, tarot said:

The design was officially given the name Cyborg Spider-man when it was given a toy in the old 5inch line. Since then when it appeared in Spider-man Unlimited game and the PS4 Spider-man it was called Cyborg Spider-man. It kind of like how all the Life Foundation symbiote didn't get names until the toys, games etc.

51Aoe8mStTL._AC_.jpg340?cb=20151006224826spider_man_ps4_spider_verse.jpg

Oh, that's cool.  I didn't realize they were referencing the 5" release in the name, or that there was even a precedent.  Respect.

1 hour ago, ADour said:

You are right that cyborg Spider-Man isn't a cyborg at all, but "Cyborg Spider-Man" is a bit shorter than "Cyborg Spider-Man But Not Really" 😛

Well, I guess there's only so much room on the card after all.

I don't know. I REALLY love the Spidey Retro line, and I'm glad they're not in a hurry to let it go, and the story-line spawning this HMO nightmare IS one of my all-time favorites (all Larson's Spider-Man stuff was pure gold), I'll probably end up talking myself into this bad-boy just like Mysterio.

Just to bad they can't give us more of the guest-heroes from the story . . . YET.

2 hours ago, leokearon said:

Yeah, we need the Spider Armour MK1

So unfathomable why they haven't done either Armored Spidey or Iron Spidey (comics). I hope that means they're holding out to make sure they do them right and not just sitting on them to extend the line. They should at least be able to do as good a job with Armored Spidey as they did with Armored DD, right?.I'm sure it's just a matter of time, but when they start digging this deep one has to wonder how long we'll have to wait.

21 hours ago, monron999 said:

So unfathomable why they haven't done either Armored Spidey or Iron Spidey (comics). I hope that means they're holding out to make sure they do them right and not just sitting on them to extend the line. They should at least be able to do as good a job with Armored Spidey as they did with Armored DD, right?.I'm sure it's just a matter of time, but when they start digging this deep one has to wonder how long we'll have to wait.

Hopefully we will see both next year. 

On 10/29/2020 at 1:14 PM, McHogan said:

Might be the first figure I can find zero redeeming qualities to justify picking up. Just personal opinion, with no connection to this era of Spidey and the so dumb it’s cool look about him just aren’t enough.. I mean, I picked up Apocalypse for a skull accessory and even I can see no reason to grab this guy

Yes, this feels like a scraping the bottom of the barrel move to me. This'll be a Target exclusive that I wont care about, so don't have to worry about looking for it and not finding it. 

That may sound harsh but the bright side is, it makes me think Iron Spider is just around the corner. Sure hope that's gonna be part of a wave we can easily get.

23 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Yes, this feels like a scraping the bottom of the barrel move to me. This'll be a Target exclusive that I wont care about, so don't have to worry about looking for it and not finding it. 

That may sound harsh but the bright side is, it makes me think Iron Spider is just around the corner. Sure hope that's gonna be part of a wave we can easily get.

I wouldn't call it scrapping the bottom of the barrel yet. Maybe when they do Ben Reilly's imagined costumes then it will be. (Though Toy Biz did make toys of some of them)

spacer.png

I think the retrocard compliments the figure all the better. If he was in a regular baf wave then I’d probably have different feelings. But as far as the retro line goes, I still think it’s a cool addition to that collection. Still several of character designs to be had with these throwbacks so I just see it as another scratched off that list.

Besides a 2nd Spidey I had acquired, I haven’t opened any of the retro Spidey figures as they’ll all be going up as wall decor in my mancave 😄

8 minutes ago, RAMCAT said:

I think the retrocard compliments the figure all the better. If he was in a regular baf wave then I’d probably have different feelings. But as far as the retro line goes, I still think it’s a cool addition to that collection. Still several of character designs to be had with these throwbacks so I just see it as another scratched off that list.

Besides a 2nd Spidey I had acquired, I haven’t opened any of the retro Spidey figures as they’ll all be going up as wall decor in my mancave 😄

Yeah this is a look that only really works with a huge dose of nostalgia