Hasbro Marvel Legends X-Men Retro Rogue Figure Video Review And Images

JayC

SunRoom Toy Reviews takes a look at the new 6" Marvel Legends X-Men Retro Rogue figure from Hasbro. Here in the US the figure will be sold as a Target store exclusive and should be released in November/December time frame.

Check out images for both Rogue and the upcoming

X-Men Marvel Legends Retro Gambit figures below in our GALLERY and be sure to share your own thoughts about them in the COMMENTS SECTION. Look for their Gambit review to go live tomorrow.

Marvel-Legends-Retro-Gambit-And-Rogue 00.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Retro-Gambit-And-Rogue 1.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Retro-Gambit-And-Rogue 2.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Retro-Gambit-And-Rogue 3.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Retro-Gambit-And-Rogue 4.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Retro-Gambit-And-Rogue 5.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Retro-Gambit-And-Rogue 6.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Retro-Gambit-And-Rogue 7.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Retro-Gambit-And-Rogue 8.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Retro-Gambit-And-Rogue 9.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Retro-Gambit-And-Rogue 10.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Retro-Gambit-And-Rogue 11.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Retro-Gambit-And-Rogue 13.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Retro-Gambit-And-Rogue 14.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Retro-Gambit-And-Rogue 15.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Retro-Gambit-And-Rogue 16.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Retro-Gambit-And-Rogue 17.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Retro-Gambit-And-Rogue 18.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Retro-Gambit-And-Rogue 19.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Retro-Gambit-And-Rogue 20.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Retro-Gambit-And-Rogue 21.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Retro-Gambit-And-Rogue 22.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Retro-Gambit-And-Rogue 23.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Retro-Gambit-And-Rogue.jpg

I wish this figure did anything to address my criticism of the original, but it doesn't. The colours seem like a slight improvement maybe? Neither one of them holds a candle to the Pyro two-pack Rogue, and this is still the worst figure in the modern X-Men line (Cannonball's the worst half-figure, though). Gambit's new hair looks great, but I definitely prefer the colours on the previous version.

Both these figures look much better in person than the production images. Not enough of an improvement (especially in Rogue's face) over the originals that they're a "must have" but I'll probably get them if I come across them and that's a big IF. The colors are a bit more cartoon accurate, if that's something you're into.

The Rogue headsculpt is not as bad as it originally appeared... but it's still kinda bad? Maybe it'll grow on me, or maybe it looks better in person. People who have the Select Rogue claim that headsculpt looks good but I cannot see how that can be. so maybe that's the case here too.

I like the new Gambit's hair slightly better but I prefer the old one's colors so I'll probably stick with the old one. I wish he came with different arms so I could display him without his jacket.

They both look pretty good, I mean yes they look good, are they so much better then the originals, No, and they certainly arn't going to be worth shelling money for or to hunt, these to me are here to service all of those who cried oceans over not getting into legends until after Rogue became an after market nightmare, and I guess Gambit was just a good choice for a second figure to re-vamp because he makes sense along side Rogue. I am very happy Hasbro listened to the fans and gave all of those non stop sqeeeling about not being able to get a Jim Lee Rogue, thanks Hasbro for being cool to those collectors, I will say I do love the new Hair on both of these guys though.

17 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

The Rogue headsculpt is not as bad as it originally appeared... but it's still kinda bad? Maybe it'll grow on me, or maybe it looks better in person. People who have the Select Rogue claim that headsculpt looks good but I cannot see how that can be. so maybe that's the case here too.

I'm wondering if the sculpted face actually is bad or if it's just an issue with the mouth being painted wrong and those super stern eyebrows they gave her.
I notice that the white in her hair is actually white (the best thing about this figure in my mind) whereas on the older Jim Lee figure it is really quite gray and the newer "Legacy figure" has it somewhere in between.  It's weird to me that it's not actually white on every Rogue figure Hasbro puts out.

I was originally very interested in both of these as they seemed like pretty nice improvements. But as Ive seen more and more pics of them, they are like 1 step forward, 2 steps back. My favorite part for both of them are their hair sculpts are corrected and look good, also Rogues colors are more accurate. I had no idea Gambits coloring was so blue, not as much a fan. The worst part is the super stern RBF on Rogue. Id take static face over that, but to not have her smiling in this revamp seems like a missed opportunity. Since I have the originals, I dont think I will be picking these up and stick with them instead. Happy for those that missed them the first time as they are better than spending the after market prices on the older ones. 

5 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

I like the new Gambit's hair slightly better but I prefer the old one's colors so I'll probably stick with the old one. I wish he came with different arms so I could display him without his jacket.

Glad it is somewhere in the middle...I started collecting late last year so I missed out on the original one...I'm glad I am given a choice to get a Jim Lee Rogue if...a big IF it becomes available to collectors outside the US.

9 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

People who have the Select Rogue claim that headsculpt looks good but I cannot see how that can be. so maybe that's the case here too.

I've seen that Select Rogue in-person a ton. Like virtually all Select headsculpts, it looks very weird.

9 hours ago, Satam said:

I'm wondering if the sculpted face actually is bad or if it's just an issue with the mouth being painted wrong and those super stern eyebrows they gave her.

It's the same head as the previous figure. Just different paint and hair.

Well I for one am happy that people who were unable to get this Rogue when she first came out have another chance. Such an outstanding figure! Absolutely one of the best Legends made. Also glad to see this body buck is back. While its not perfect for every character, it is one that fits many of them and there shouldn't be a reason we don't see it more. NOT happy about it being another #$@! exclusive, but, baby steps....

I don't really have a problem with her face, though I do think something lighter, less stern,  would've been fine.

Marvel_Legends_X-Men_Rogue05.jpg

It's definitely the same head. New hair, but we can even see the slight smirk on the left side (edit: her right, our left) of her mouth due to the horrendously misapplicated lipstick paint attempt. Think of it as the juggernaut wave Rogue head after being blasted in the face with Homer Simpson's makeup application shotgun lol. This is probably a factory reject as it doesn't even come close to being in the same ballpark of quality compared to the in hand Rogue Rektangular leaked. The Gambit in that same guys review looked like he had all kinds of paint issues around the sides of his mask.

Can see all kinds of excess plastic flashing, esp on the left side of her face giving her an earlobe attached to her jaw and all the excess paint beneath her lips. Ignoring all that extra paint, , I can make out the original's mouth distinctly.

405251363_Marvel-Legends-Retro-Gambit-And-Rogue21.jpg.fd61832e1e2e87b69a7eca6aacf65431.jpg

1727791559_Marvel-Legends-Retro-Gambit-And-Rogue18.jpg.b18ff8ca2fb90d5eea2d203a80637f9b.jpg

1 hour ago, philly-phil said:

It's definitely the same head. New hair, but we can even see the slight smirk on the left side (edit: her right, our left) of her mouth due to the horrendously misapplicated lipstick paint attempt. Think of it as the juggernaut wave Rogue head after being blasted in the face with Homer Simpson's makeup application shotgun lol. This is probably a factory reject as it doesn't even come close to being in the same ballpark of quality compared to the in hand Rogue Rektangular leaked. The Gambit in that same guys review looked like he had all kinds of paint issues around the sides of his mask.

Can see all kinds of excess plastic flashing, esp on the left side of her face giving her an earlobe attached to her jaw and all the excess paint beneath her lips. Ignoring all that extra paint, , I can make out the original's mouth distinctly.

405251363_Marvel-Legends-Retro-Gambit-And-Rogue21.jpg.fd61832e1e2e87b69a7eca6aacf65431.jpg

1727791559_Marvel-Legends-Retro-Gambit-And-Rogue18.jpg.b18ff8ca2fb90d5eea2d203a80637f9b.jpg

Woah good eye.

On 10/29/2020 at 3:46 AM, GrtWhiteCustoms said:

I'll be doing some Head/Hair swapping with these and the originals. Still not really "feeling" the look on Rogues face. A grin on a cocked eyebrows would have been cool. I like the new hair on both figures. 

If the finished product does indeed look bad, I think the retro wave Dazzler would be a perfect substitute. Just pry the top part of her hair off after soaking in boiling water, paint her red headband green, and a couple little touch ups like darker eyebrows and I don't think anyone would ever know it wasn't a Rogue head initially.

1 hour ago, JayC said:

Gambit review

For the Gambit review: I'm not a big Gambit fan but glad to have him part of the collection. The newer version looks like a pass for me, but the hair is definitely better and I'm impressed that the coat is more flexible (even though its just a lighter repaint of the first one). The added and improved details for the energized throwing cards is fantastic (off topic, I know , but I sure hope we get a fully translucent Invisible Woman by next year)!

Also glad to see they're apparently not afraid of re-visiting even fairly newer figures and correcting or updating them. Sometimes just that one little detail (*cough Silver Centurion needs metal paint, fix the damn helmet and give him the right back pack*cough) make all the difference.

If anything, these two figures are good for those who missed out on the original release. This is off topic but, I hope Mafex tries to make a Rouge figure; I think their Marvel Comic line is pretty good.