Completionist or Cherry Picker

AnotherPunkChef

Completionist or Cherry Picker?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Just wondering how everyone collects, if you're about having specific pieces or if you "gotta catch em all"

• Completionist
    • Cherry Picker

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/06/2020 at 06:00 AM

My norm is Avengers characters but my dilemma is EVERYONE is an Avenger these days.. 

And due to recent comic storylines and MCU films my collection has expanded into X-Men, Guardians, FF as official Avengers..

and TBH, when Hasbro puts out that amazing figure like Doom, Kingpin, Classic Ghost Rider I am too weak willed and grab them too

Cherry picker, for sure.  Right now i'm mostly into comic characters sporting looks that at least nod towards their 70s/early 80s appearances.  I have gotten most of the mcu characters so far altho i'm not sure if i'll continue with that.  

I think the most figures i bought in a single year was probably 2017 or 2018.  I bought fewer figures in 2019 than 2018 and fewer figures in 2020 than in 2019, so trending towards buying fewer figures each year. This year has been particularly weird as I feel like i've bought fewer figs from BAF waves than ever before.  there are 5 waves i bought i bought 2,1,or 0 figures from.  

Cherry picker. My collection is mostly just Iron Man (comics, MCU and soon also Gamerverse). The only exception is my Parker brothers mini-collection (Peter, Kaine and Ben) that I wedged into my comic book shelf, and I pretty much only have them because I already had a Peter (McFarlane Spidey Hasbro re-release), a Kaine (Rocket Raccoon wave) and Ben (Spider-Man Classics) before I started collecting more seriously, so I just upgraded them to retro Pizza Spidey, SP//dr Kaine and retro Ben.

I guess the 80 Years Thor and Cap could also count as exceptions, but since they're together with the 80 Years Iron Man to form the Big Three, they're still appropriate for an Iron Man shelf.

I think its really hard to be a "completionist" unless you're going for the Fantastic Four team (no, I don't count Medusa or Cage or anyone else they've had as fill ins).  My team is the Avengers, but even there I'm not interested in all the members. For one thing, a lot of characters are in the group that I personally feel just don't fit (Spider-Man, Dr. Strange), or are unworthy ( Swordsman, Rage) and also as mentioned above, its like they're making everyone a member! I want the Inhumans royal family, but don't really care about Crystal. On the other hand I do want all the members of the original Guardians of the Galaxy and the Starjammers.

I thought I had an exception with Iron Man's Armory. I had every suit made but then realized I passed on the hideous Guardians Space armor; also don't care for the Atmosphere suit. So yeah, don't think I'll ever be able to be a completionist. But I'm sure there are collectors out there who are. More power to ya!

6 hours ago, Chunkylover said:

I'm a completist in that I am trying to complete certain teams or storyline casts, but I'm definitely a cherry-picker if I don't need the figure for one reason or another. I'm really happy with the product these days, I just don't have the money.

That's another good point- economics. I could afford the Haslab Sentinel, but just can't justify the cost in my mind. Cost is another reason why I never consider scalpers- I can't justify spending 4x the amount on a figure just to satisfy some selfish @$$wipe's greed. And if you really want that full Serpent Society lineup, but you also have an electric bill and groceries to consider, then plastic snakes are gonna have to take a back burner.

Cherry Picking all the way, I have no real focus, I just buy what I like and want, and don't buy what I don't want.

I just don't have the interest in having everything, it's unreasonable, plus I like to collect multiple lines. I might make an exception for a figure I don't want if it's for a BAF piece or a figure in a multi pack, but generally try not to. 

Cherry picker for only comic looks mostly modern looks, and some classic if they look good and don't look silly. I primarily focus on Avengers, then X-Men, Spidey, Cosmic, and other sides of the MU. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would say that I'm a completionist- while I don't buy every single Legends figure, I probably buy at least 90-95% of them. There will be some sub-categories where I decide I'll only, or mostly, buy them if I find them ay a decent discount (like the X-Men movie Legends), or an occasional exclusive, or slight repaint, that I pass on, but I buy almost everything, eventually. 

On 11/3/2020 at 9:09 PM, McHogan said:

My norm is Avengers characters but my dilemma is EVERYONE is an Avenger these days.. 

And due to recent comic storylines and MCU films my collection has expanded into X-Men, Guardians, FF as official Avengers..

and TBH, when Hasbro puts out that amazing figure like Doom, Kingpin, Classic Ghost Rider I am too weak willed and grab them too

I disagree bout "everyone" being an Avenger. That is all dependent on what era of Avengers you prefer. I'm 70s/80s/early 90s era & those are the characters I have on my Avengers shelf. With the announcement of Quasar, I only need Yellowjacket, US Agent, classic 80s Falcon, Starfox,, 1st app Wonderman , Photon & 80s Hercules to complete my classic Avengers team. 

Only other X-Men I'm waiting on are classic Banshee, classic Angel in either Blue/white or Red/ White costume & redo of 1st app Havok. 

I cherry pick classic characters I like & that are needed to fill out a team or are long overdue & never done before. Now that we're finally getting classic Thanos & classic Ultron, my most wanted Avengers villain is classic 80s Count Nefaria.

32 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

I disagree bout "everyone" being an Avenger. That is all dependent on what era of Avengers you prefer. I'm 70s/80s/early 90s era & those are the characters I have on my Avengers shelf. With the announcement of Quasar, I only need Yellowjacket, US Agent, classic 80s Falcon, Starfox,, 1st app Wonderman , Photon & 80s Hercules to complete my classic Avengers team. 

Only other X-Men I'm waiting on are classic Banshee, classic Angel in either Blue/white or Red/ White costume & redo of 1st app Havok. 

I cherry pick classic characters I like & that are needed to fill out a team or are long overdue & never done before. Now that we're finally getting classic Thanos & classic Ultron, my most wanted Avengers villain is classic 80s Count Nefaria.

Well I thought my use of “everyone” was clear hyperbole but I get what you mean as well. 

Im not an “era” guy as far as collecting but I do have my favorite lineups that span from every decade of the Avengers existence. And spin off teams as well like WCA, Force Works ( pretty much WCA but they had a different feel and definitely a different look to them).

Not a fan of nearly any of Hickman’s additions but I begrudgingly bought Ex Nihilo. Will do the same if they ever put out a Nightmask or a Dr. Druid from a more familiar time.

Im unapologetically a completist so for me, as I mentioned above, anyone who has ever been an Avenger will be bought. Though I can absolutely respect and understand your point of only counting certain eras or characters as Avengers. 

10 hours ago, McHogan said:

Im unapologetically a completist so for me, as I mentioned above, anyone who has ever been an Avenger will be bought. Though I can absolutely respect and understand your point of only counting certain eras or characters as Avengers. 

Shew. Bless your heart, man. That's a LOT of characters.

I fancy myself a Cherry Picker by choice, but I'm a completionist by nature. I must also admit I'm a self aware OCD sufferer. I do have some incomplete waves and the figures that I have skipped I am very secure that I will not miss (Iron Skull, Spider-Ham, the tiny Giant Man, etc.), but should I ever find them at a massive mark down, which is often the case with most figures I pass up, I will eventually buy them. I've even gone the route of buying or trading for a BAF because I passed on the figure.

The upcoming Eternals wave will be the single wave in which I will not purchase a single figure though, that I am confident in saying. There is not a single thing I like about it I find desirable. From the characters' awkward facial expressions to the uninspired costume designs, to the lack of accessories, to the weird single use hand gestures, to the so called BAF that puts Okoye to shame, there is nothing appealing about it. Now, don't get me wrong, I do hope the movie is and does perform well, but watching good characters with lame costume designs in an overall good movie versus spending money on totally unappealing product are two different things. Once that wave comes out I will be counting the hours until the next product comes out.