Hasbro Fan First Friday: Marvel Legends Livestream - 12/04/20 - X-Men, M.O.D.O.K., Classic Ultron, NOVA And More

JayC

Classic Ultron... amazing and about time. May buy 600

Kinda really love that modern Wolverine, great update on the classic brown. 

Wont get Moira but I have been saying for some time that Hasbro should implement that arm swap trick for characters that often wear jackets ala Black Widow in bomber jacket. Mattel has been doing it for some time with their WWE figures.

MODOK Is fun as well. I sold my original ToyBiz version so I’ll be getting him for sure, another classic Avengers villain so yes, please. Great to see  Kang, Ultron and MODOK.. can’t wait to add more classics to stand against my Avengers.

Xmen stuff looks great but no interest for me. Another great looking set, Hasbro has upped their game

nice to Hasbro seeing what other companies have done like the “radar” for prof X (Can of Beams)  the interchangeable face plates for MODOK ( Saw these on Fortnite figures first) , the arm swapping ( Mattel)  for Moira and finding appropriate uses.. 

We're not getting any comic Ant-Man waves anytime soon (that's not a character who is gonna carry a wave without some sort of movie tie-in), and there simply may not have been room in either of the Avengers waves next year, especially since both are allegedly Disney+ tie-ins and thus will almost certainly be more focused on characters in those shows.

So I'm more than fine with them putting him in an Iron Man wave.

23 minutes ago, Biggbubb said:

Unicorn

Blacklash

Force

Guardsmen

Neo Classic Iron Man

Og stealth armor

Classic Crimson Dynamo and Titanium Man

Firepower

I'm all about a Guardsman figure. I can see Blacklash as well.  I imagine an Ironheart would be in the works.  I think given that we're getting a Marvel Select Titanium Man, I'd be more partial to a BAF Classic Crimson Dynamo

20 hours ago, Atlantis said:

You said it. The level of sheer cheapness and laziness here just p1sses me off. While I'm no fan of this outfit of hers- which always screamed 1950s blandness to me- if theyre gonna do it, then do it right. Marvel Girl wears pointed yellow boots in this outfit. Not hard to do. Yet Hasbro seems to have a problem with getting these kinds of boots right, and then they cheap out and just paint it on. Worse, they just painted over Moira's shoes and didnt even bother to hide it to make it look like a boot. Even just adding a raised seam, like they did for the Hellfire Club opera gloves or Rogue's green and white outfit, wouldve been better. For the Dormammu BAF, they not only gave him pointed boots but threw in boot swivel as well. Its just so odd, because Dwight Stall is on record saying how much he loves this character. You'd think they'd pull out the stops to make it right.

Jean-Grey-Phoenix-Marvel-Comics-X-Men-i.jpg

yep, this one either got past final inspection or their was no final check. I didn't notice about Moira but I will take another look. However I already pre ordered Moira so its not a deal breaker for her. Quality control is dropping the ball for sure.

Classic Ultron feels like a weird pick for an Iron Man wave. I get that he's clashed with Iron Man alone a few times, but I already have an Ultron in my Iron Man villains shelf and he feels like a bit of a stretch.

And while a classic Ultron screams "vintage" I'm not sure he'd fit well with a retro Iron Man wave since it will surely imitate the packaging of the 90s toyline, and this design for Ultron is more Bronze Age. Hopefully this means the tentative Iron Man wave is not vintage-inspired. Retro waves are fun, but they really limit the eras they can pluck characters and looks from, and some of my most wanted Iron Man suits in figure form are modern.

If the wave includes a BAF, I would also like to see an unarmored big bad for a change. Controller, Arsenal or Ultimo could be fun BAFs. I always figured Hasbro could repurpose the Juggernaut mold into Arsenal.

2 hours ago, CAC said:

So we can get an Iron Man comic wave but the only way we can get a Thor wave is in a movie wave which means half the wave is MCU figures.  I’m sorry but that’s BS!  We need Asgardians more than we need 14 new Iron Man armors.

If you want to complain about Thor not getting a wave, do it when the Nth Spider-Man or X-Men wave within the same year is announced. The last Iron Man wave came out in 2013 (which was 2/5 movie figures) so the last thing this wave is is unwarranted, especially since an Iron Man wave doesn't mean every figure will be an Iron Man armor, and as an Iron Man fan I'm always eager to get more Iron Man characters who aren't just Iron Man.

1 hour ago, silverback said:

yep, this one either got past final inspection or their was no final check. I didn't notice about Moira but I will take another look. However I already pre ordered Moira so its not a deal breaker for her. Quality control is dropping the ball for sure.

Quality control is derpy eyes or two left hands.  This seems like a short cut they were forced to make because some bean counter told the Marvel team that one more newly tooled thing in this wave would be too expensive.

I can understand Ultron popping up in an Iron Man wave, because a huge chunk of the populace who has heard of Ultron thinks he was created by Iron Man, because of Avengers: Age of Ultron. Now, I would *assume* that most people collecting the comic-based action figures are familiar with the comic books, but that's not a certainty. And a whole lot more people see the movies than read the comics, so in terms of the number of potential buyers you want to market it to... anyway, I understand why he might show up there.

What does surprise me, though, is Hasbro's decision to do an Iron Man wave next year when they just released three of the most sought-after figures/armors this year. Iron Man (Silver Centurion), War Machine, and Iron Man 2020 could have been massive draws for an Iron Man vintage or retro wave; those would've been the anchors. Without those three... I mean, yeah, there is no shortage of armors and variants they can stack the line with, but I'm surprised.

And I still think (and predict) one character from the line will be a comic-based Mark I armor from his first appearance, and then a gold-painted repaint, as in the one worn in Avengers #1, will be an exclusive.

32 minutes ago, RyanDaly said:

What does surprise me, though, is Hasbro's decision to do an Iron Man wave next year when they just released three of the most sought-after figures/armors this year. Iron Man (Silver Centurion), War Machine, and Iron Man 2020 could have been massive draws for an Iron Man vintage or retro wave; those would've been the anchors. Without those three... I mean, yeah, there is no shortage of armors and variants they can stack the line with, but I'm surprised.

Like you said there are plenty of armors they could make but the ones people are asking for still need to be made or remade. Modular, Superior, a Proper Neo Classic, First Appearance, Stealth and my personal most wanted armor, the Submarine armor. Also I'm throwing this out there but my 2 guesses for the BAF is Hulkbuster Armor (comic obviously) OR the Controller, using the Comic Thanos build.

Also don't forget according rumors, Iron Man will appear in the Shang-Chi wave as one of the comic figures. So it seems next year's focus will be all bucket head. Which, now that he is done in the movies, is a great thing to build an armory

4 hours ago, CAC said:

So we can get an Iron Man comic wave but the only way we can get a Thor wave is in a movie wave which means half the wave is MCU figures.  I’m sorry but that’s BS!  We need Asgardians more than we need 14 new Iron Man armors.

They've been doing Retro figures based on the 90s ToyBiz ones. Iron Man had one, Thor did not (as far as I know).

2 hours ago, ADour said:

If you want to complain about Thor not getting a wave, do it when the Nth Spider-Man or X-Men wave within the same year is announced. The last Iron Man wave came out in 2013 (which was 2/5 movie figures) so the last thing this wave is is unwarranted, especially since an Iron Man wave doesn't mean every figure will be an Iron Man armor, and as an Iron Man fan I'm always eager to get more Iron Man characters who aren't just Iron Man.

I do complain about SpiderMan and X-Men waves (especially alternate universe mini-series X-men from the mid-90s) and I will also complain about Iron Man.  How many armors did we get this year?  2 Walgreens exclusives, 2 Gamerverse armors, a Target exclusive, a deluxe figure....that’s the equivalent of a full wave.  At this point I can predict 90% of what Legends will put out every year:

1. X-Men,

2. Spider-Man,

3. Iron Man armor,

4. Repeat 1-3,

5. One or two random characters,

6. Repeat 1-3

We need Asgardians, we need cosmic figures, we need lots of characters (like Dr. Strange) in their classic costumes. We don’t need more Iron Man or an assortment of bad guys who are basically a different colored Iron Man.

4 hours ago, CAC said:

We need Asgardians more than we need 14 new Iron Man armors.

I understand why Iron Man gets a wave, especially a vintage/retro wave when they have the packaging from the '90s line to repurpose. On the other hand, I agree with you that the Nine Realms are severely underrepresented. I would love to get comic versions of the Warriors Three, Heimdall, Sif, Hildegarde, and more. 

4 hours ago, ADour said:

Classic Ultron feels like a weird pick for an Iron Man wave. I get that he's clashed with Iron Man alone a few times, but I already have an Ultron in my Iron Man villains shelf and he feels like a bit of a stretch.

So cuz you have what, the outta scale 7' tall Marvel select version of Ultron, Hasbro shouldn't have made him in the 6' ML scale for the vast majority of us Ultron fans that have been pleading & begging for this version since the Toy Biz days?? Classic Perez Ultron goes well in either an Avengers wave or Iron man wave. Just don't buy this figure & enjoy your outta scale, wonky articulation MS version. The rest of us classic Ultron fans will buy & enjoy this  long overdue & in scale Ultron to the max!

2 hours ago, RyanDaly said:

I understand why Iron Man gets a wave, especially a vintage/retro wave when they have the packaging from the '90s line to repurpose. On the other hand, I agree with you that the Nine Realms are severely underrepresented. I would love to get comic versions of the Warriors Three, Heimdall, Sif, Hildegarde, and more. 

The Thor side of the Marvel Universe is definitely lacking in figures, but to be fair, pretty much all the Avengers generally only get waves when they have movies in theaters, so it's not like Iron Man's been getting wave after wave while Thor gets nothing. If the rumor is legit, this would be the first time Iron Man has gotten a dedicated wave since Iron Man 3 came out in 2013. 

4 hours ago, CAC said:

I do complain about SpiderMan and X-Men waves (especially alternate universe mini-series X-men from the mid-90s) and I will also complain about Iron Man.  How many armors did we get this year?  2 Walgreens exclusives, 2 Gamerverse armors, a Target exclusive, a deluxe figure....that’s the equivalent of a full wave. 

(...)

We need Asgardians, we need cosmic figures, we need lots of characters (like Dr. Strange) in their classic costumes. We don’t need more Iron Man or an assortment of bad guys who are basically a different colored Iron Man.

If you're going to complain about Hasbro making Iron Man-related figures, you could at least know that not every Iron Man character is either Iron Man or "basically a different colored Iron Man." And it's literally the point of my comment that getting an Iron Man wave allows us to get other figures who are related to Iron Man but aren't either just those two types.

The argument that throughout the year we've gotten the equivalent of a full wave isn't even sound. Because that's only an equivalent in numbers and not variety. Trust me, despite being an Iron Man fan it gets tiresome when the only Iron Man-related releases are straight-up Iron Men, whereas Spider-Man and X-Men fans are getting a lot of variety in terms of type of characters. If we actually broke down the "equivalent wave" we basically only have two base body molds being used six times: Iron Man 2020, Silver Centurion and War Machine all use the 80 Years Iron Man as the base. Gamerverse Iron Man, Starboost Iron Man and Atmosphere Iron Man all use the Gamerverse Iron Man as the base, and the two latter share the exact same sculpt. Can you really imagine, say, a Spider-Man wave being six Spider-Men reusing only two body molds with the only variety between each body mold use being the color palette?

So, yeah. Even if Thor figures are overdue and Iron Man has a fair amount of releases, that doesn't make an Iron Man wave any less warranted.

2 hours ago, Gigantor said:

So cuz you have what, the outta scale 7' tall Marvel select version of Ultron, Hasbro shouldn't have made him in the 6' ML scale for the vast majority of us Ultron fans that have been pleading & begging for this version since the Toy Biz days?? Classic Perez Ultron goes well in either an Avengers wave or Iron man wave. Just don't buy this figure & enjoy your outta scale, wonky articulation MS version. The rest of us classic Ultron fans will buy & enjoy this  long overdue & in scale Ultron to the max!

... I'm sorry, what are you talking about?

I never said that Hasbro shouldn't have made a classic Ultron, only that I think he's a weird pick for an Iron Man wave since he's not really part of Iron Man's rogues gallery even if they have a bit of history. Every time Iron Man has fought Ultron it has felt like he is fighting an enemy of the Avengers without the Avengers, not an enemy of his own.

I didn't even mention that I'm not going to buy it. I only mentioned that I already have an Ultron because that allows me to already feel that him being in an Iron Man villains shelf is a bit of a stretch for me. On top of that, I never mentioned the Marvel Select Ultron. The Ultron figure I mentioned having is the one from the Iron Monger wave, which I only got because it was part of it. I'm actually happy for this Ultron release even if I'm not gonna get it, and the reason I'm not gonna get it doesn't have anything to do with believing that Hasbro shouldn't have made a new Ultron, because I don't even believe that.

10 hours ago, CAC said:

Wait, who said we can only get a Thor wave as long as its tied to a movie? That's just jumping to conclusions.

Marvel Legends was started long before anyone even thought about the Cinema Universe, and lets face facts: the cinema/tv 'verse does not have and never will have the scope and scale of the breadth found in the comics. 

And frankly, as I've said on this forum before, there are some characters that just don't have enough variants/foes/allies to warrant a full wave over others. I love Iron Fist, for example, but making a wave strictly dedicated to him is a stretch. I can definitely get a wave out of Thor, but probably not more than two, unless I start picking random one-off characters from his book that noone ever heard of.

Iron Man, on the other hand, has a deeper bench to pull from so there can be more than 2 waves.  The Fantastic Four have an even deeper bench! I could see Hasbro doing multiple waves- they've got potential for costume and outfits galore. Foes. Allies. Accessories. Vehicles. Sets. It goes on and on. 

Bottom line, even going from what the Hasbro team itself has said in recent interviews, they have no virtually no limits on what they can do or what properties they can explore. So we can have Steel Serpent and Warriors Three. We can also have Sunturion and Impossible Man. Its a great time to be an action figure collector.

Now, if these fools could just do something about these Exclusives....

I started collecting right before the Marvel Legends line started, and I remember the aim being to focus on iconic characters... not really focusing on a complete wave from one character's comics. We had waves with X-Men characters and Avengers characters in the same wave... there was a wave with Blade, Colossus, Fury, Mister Fantastic, Red Skull, Sabretooth, and Silver Surfer - that is what I think they should get back to! I like complete teams too (X-Force, New Mutants), but I think the waves would be a lot more exciting if there was a little bit of everything. Imagine a wave with Classic Doctor Strange, Ultron, Fandral, Marrow, Dum Dum Dugan, Classic Powerman, Mole Man, and a Ulik BAF. I will buy damn near whatever Hasbro pushes out, but I would much prefer waves without a theme and more variety.  

You all may be giving out that Iron Man is getting a wave but Thor isn't (though he has a movie out in 2 years) But I think this is more the case of Hasbro making a special wave each year. They started with the F4, next is Iron Man and after that probably be something else, could be Thor, Captain America, Dr. Strange, etc.

I suggested it before that Hasbro should make a rotating Theme wave each year. I hope this is what hasbro is doing now.