Hasbro Fan First Friday: Marvel Legends Livestream - 12/04/20 - X-Men, M.O.D.O.K., Classic Ultron, NOVA And More

JayC

Personally I enjoy themed waves if they suit my tastes. An all Xmen wave or spiderman wave tend to be up my alley depending on their obscurity and i usually buy them all because of it. But if they do a mixed wave, i cherry pick and rarely ever buy that whole wave. Im mostly a spiderman/xmen guy with a touch of other stuff like some avengers, hulk, ironman. I grew up with xmen and spiderman comics as well as of course the cartoons. Its interesting how those are what i typically collect. 

11 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Agree. This is what I've been saying: the MCU content is a great addition to the Marvel Legends line, but really isnt indispensable in the long run. Legends werent made to tie into movie goers interest, because Legends were started way before anyone even thought of a movie line.

Marvel's characters will be around long after the studios run out of gas, and 2020 has just shown that again, as if it had to be done. Its baffling to hear that some people who've long been fans of these comic characters are buying into this notion that Hasbro can't do a toy unless its got movie/tv to fuel it. People need to let that go.

Also, they don't necessarily need a BAF either, nor does the wave have to be "themed". If Hasbro were to debut a new wave of Firelord, Equinox, Thundra, Namorita, Blue Marvel (helmeted head and unhelmeted), Wonder Man (original outfit),  and Gladiator (from Daredevil), with the Watcher as the BAF (or with no BAF), BBTS, Target, Amazon, big box stores etc. are gonna carry it. And even while ranting on forums like this that these characters have virtually nothing to do with one another, fans and collectors will buy it.

Seriously, tell me you wouldn't get that wave. 

I'd get Blue Marvel and Namorita but thats it.

15 hours ago, Atlantis said:

If Hasbro were to debut a new wave of Firelord, Equinox, Thundra, Namorita, Blue Marvel (helmeted head and unhelmeted), Wonder Man (original outfit),  and Gladiator (from Daredevil), with the Watcher as the BAF (or with no BAF), BBTS, Target, Amazon, big box stores etc. are gonna carry it. And even while ranting on forums like this that these characters have virtually nothing to do with one another, fans and collectors will buy it.

I would buy that entire wave, with or without the BAF, because I happen to want figures of all those characters.

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 5:40 AM, tarot said:

For anyone who missed JayC latest news video, Ultron is rumored to be part of a Iron Man based wave. My guess is it will likely be next years' Vintage theme.

A thought just occurred to me: they've done Iron Man, Ant-Man, Black Panther & War Machine wearable helmets and props. I've never seen an Ultron though. That would be an impressive replica for the desk.

10 hours ago, Atlantis said:

A thought just occurred to me: they've done Iron Man, Ant-Man, Black Panther & War Machine wearable helmets and props. I've never seen an Ultron though. That would be an impressive replica for the desk.

You could use it as an ashtray

7007604-technology-%20has%20a%20ultron%2

• 2 weeks later...

I wish Jean also had alternative head with more in battle action expression, they way she's is depicted on the back of packaging, kinda seems unfair that Jean and Magneto are only ones who didn't get additional headsculpt accessory, included Jeans face expression seems so bored, which I don't think she should be, considering she supposed to be having 3 or 4 way or whatever way happens on Krakoa besides multidimensional conflicts and such. 

1 hour ago, SpiderS said:

I wish Jean also had alternative head with more in battle action expression, they way she's is depicted on the back of packaging, kinda seems unfair that Jean and Magneto are only ones who didn't get additional headsculpt accessory, included Jeans face expression seems so bored, which I don't think she should be, considering she supposed to be having 3 or 4 way or whatever way happens on Krakoa besides multidimensional conflicts and such. 

Yeah, no. Alternate heads just to sport different expressions seems a bit wasteful . . . and stupid. Do we really need an extra head for every mood Wolverine may be in? Give me a nicely sculpted neutral expression, I'll provide the acting.

12 minutes ago, mako said:

Yeah, no. Alternate heads just to sport different expressions seems a bit wasteful . . . and stupid. Do we really need an extra head for every mood Wolverine may be in? Give me a nicely sculpted neutral expression, I'll provide the acting.

Yeah, I would prefer neutral expressions instead of an permanent mood expression (Thunderstrike); If they wanted to give Jean an alt head, an unmasked one would have been better or even a Candy Southern head

I must say, while I assume there will be many complaints about re-used molds, I will maintain that they were all (re)used accurately. Prof X would not have looked any better on any other buck, save maybe the Reed Richards buck. The shredded Bucky Cap buck is perfectly suited for Cyke. It always has been. Wolverine and Magneto still look good on their perspective bucks. The only hiccup I see here is the re-use of the Moira buck for Jean. The boots painted over the grandma flats aside, her legs are going to be really short. I am excited for this wave though the Tri-Sentinel is less than excitable. Still not as bad as Caliban, I suppose.

1 hour ago, leokearon said:

If they wanted to give Jean an alt head, an unmasked one would have been better or even a Candy Southern head

Now THAT'S an idea. Plus, it would be more economical from Hasbro's standpoint. An unmasked Jean head could be repurposed down the line with a simple redeco. example: Silk + Paint = Comic Style Jessica Jones.

Yeah, Magneto's missing all the ribbing on his costume too, plus the details on Cerebro are pretty soft, Karima's been white-washed, and every single X belt buckle is the wrong combination of colours. Also, silver is a really dubious interpretation of the colouring of Magneto's helmet. Other than Karima, it's all stuff I can live with. It's clear the missing lines and ribbing were just cost-cutting measures, like Jean's awful, awful shoes. It's likely they would've otherwise had to choose different characters with less individual detail as alternatives to Xavier, Magneto, and Jean, and there just weren't other characters from House of X that fit that bill and played any sort of a role in the story, so I get it. These are all still clearly identifiable as the costumes they're intended to represent, with no more variation from the source than you'd be likely to get from different artists on the same book. I just can't imagine them giving Xavier a whole new sculpt just for two torso seams on what otherwise amounts to a blank black bodysuit. Karima's skin and hair colouration, on the other hand... how and why did they botch that?

8 hours ago, monron999 said:

Still not as bad as Caliban, I suppose.

Really? I get that there are more important characters out there than Caliban, and that you particularly dislike that figure for whatever reason, but damn. There literally aren't less important characters than "tri-sentinel". It appeared in six panels of one scene of one book in the future of an alternate timeline that was scrubbed from existence a few books later, and it was even destroyed during its one and only scene. It's probably the most trivial character to ever receive a Legends figure. Caliban has history with the X-Men, as a morlock, as a member of X-Factor, as a hound, as a horseman, and as a member of multiple iterations of X-Force, and he retained the Apocalypse-engineered roided out physique for almost 20 years, with the BAF costume being by far his most iconic look at that size (and probably just in general). It's a good toy, with a good claim to existence. Like you, I'm unenthusiastically fine with the "tri-sentinel", but there's no question it was a worse call for use of a BAF slot than Caliban.

1 hour ago, Benn said:

Karima's skin and hair colouration, on the other hand... how and why did they botch that?

I've been asking that for weeks. Via social media, I've asked Hasbro,, Hasbro Pulse, Dan Yun, Ryan Ting, Dwight Stall and I've also asked if there's time to fix it, if not in time for first release in April, then with a running change.  I just hope they saw the posts about it from folks here, on that other toy board, on FB, Twitter, Instagram and make the correction.  It's a pretty damn embarrassing and fairly troubling mistake. As to how it happened, I don't think we'll ever know.

4 hours ago, Benn said:

Really? I get that there are more important characters out there than Caliban, and that you particularly dislike that figure for whatever reason, but damn. There literally aren't less important characters than "tri-sentinel".

Like you, I'm unenthusiastically fine with the "tri-sentinel", but there's no question it was a worse call for use of a BAF slot than Caliban.

We're in agreement on most things toy related and most of this as well. My problem with Caliban is not the character himself, but the way they executed. He is/was a lasting part of X-Lore. I particularly liked the story where he threw himself at Apocalypse's feet to beg for power. He was "roided" up a bit and I know some artists have taken their liberties on his appearance but for the most part he's been portrayed as roughly Sabretooth size, if only slightly taller. The figure itself looks great. The buck is one of the best large sized bucks and I wish there were more uses for it, but the figure is just completely inaccurate. He's just not that big. To put it in perspective Warpath, at 7'2", is substantially bigger than Caliban, yet he only got the single figure release. I guess I'm okay with that, but Caliban shoulda got the same. Had they done Cal on the Omega Red buck and done WP as a BAF it woulda made much better sense. I recall a lot of people speaking out that WP did not necessarily need the the BAF treatment as Colossus was done as single card. I'll concede that, but using that logic Cal shoulda just been a single card filler in a wave and the BAF be left to a similarly recognizable, yet actually larger support character such as Rockslide or Armor. That's my own personal opinion, but I honestly think it's valid based on character data and the appearance of the character(s) historically. Don't hate him, just hate the way they did the figure. I'm a professed Scale Nazi and I've made no qualms about it. Missteps like Caliban (too big) and Sasquatch (way too small) just really bother me, especially considering that it isn't likely that these characters will ever get redone correctly.

2 hours ago, Satam said:

I've been asking that for weeks. Via social media, I've asked Hasbro,, Hasbro Pulse, Dan Yun, Ryan Ting, Dwight Stall and I've also asked if there's time to fix it, if not in time for first release in April, then with a running change.  I just hope they saw the posts about it from folks here, on that other toy board, on FB, Twitter, Instagram and make the correction.  It's a pretty damn embarrassing and fairly troubling mistake. As to how it happened, I don't think we'll ever know.

During the 70s in his comic, Shang-Chi was colored cheeto-orange. Why his creators thought that having an asian father and caucasian mother, could result in a child with orange skin, beats me. It made absolutely no sense whatsoever. Aside from his sinister father, Fu- Manchu, being colored a pastel yellow shade, everyone else in the book had human skin coloration.

Happily Hasbro corrected this nonsense with their recently released figure. Why and how they got Karima wrong, was likely not a mistake  but a marketing choice. If the team addresses it at all, its gonna be a lot of wide eyes and open mouths and "wow, sorry fam, we have no idea how this happened", and face palms and promises of having better quality oversight in the future. 

12 hours ago, Atlantis said:

During the 70s in his comic, Shang-Chi was colored cheeto-orange. Why his creators thought that having an asian father and caucasian mother, could result in a child with orange skin, beats me. It made absolutely no sense whatsoever. Aside from his sinister father, Fu- Manchu, being colored a pastel yellow shade, everyone else in the book had human skin coloration.

Maybe he was just eating a lot of carrots at the time. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carotenosis)

Hasbro, you've managed to make me super-stoked about a Moira MacTaggert figure.  My hat is off to you.  I really do think she's the highlight of the set.

I'm disappointed in the Marvel Girl, though.  I can't for the life of me understand what happened with those boots/feet.  They had plenty of pre-existing options to choose from.  Why in the world wouldn't they just use the Gwen Stacy legs or whatever?  Is there something I'm missing?  I hate her head, too.  Moira's expression (with glasses) is what I would call "neutral".  Jean looks somewhere between bored and pissed off.  And I can't look at that weird, swept back wall of hair without it calling to mind that scene from There's Something About Mary.  This costume was at the top of my want list for so long, too.

7 hours ago, monron999 said:

We're in agreement on most things toy related and most of this as well. My problem with Caliban is not the character himself, but the way they executed. He is/was a lasting part of X-Lore. I particularly liked the story where he threw himself at Apocalypse's feet to beg for power. He was "roided" up a bit and I know some artists have taken their liberties on his appearance but for the most part he's been portrayed as roughly Sabretooth size, if only slightly taller. The figure itself looks great. The buck is one of the best large sized bucks and I wish there were more uses for it, but the figure is just completely inaccurate. He's just not that big. To put it in perspective Warpath, at 7'2", is substantially bigger than Caliban, yet he only got the single figure release. I guess I'm okay with that, but Caliban shoulda got the same. Had they done Cal on the Omega Red buck and done WP as a BAF it woulda made much better sense. I recall a lot of people speaking out that WP did not necessarily need the the BAF treatment as Colossus was done as single card. I'll concede that, but using that logic Cal shoulda just been a single card filler in a wave and the BAF be left to a similarly recognizable, yet actually larger support character such as Rockslide or Armor. That's my own personal opinion, but I honestly think it's valid based on character data and the appearance of the character(s) historically. Don't hate him, just hate the way they did the figure. I'm a professed Scale Nazi and I've made no qualms about it. Missteps like Caliban (too big) and Sasquatch (way too small) just really bother me, especially considering that it isn't likely that these characters will ever get redone correctly.

That's all fair.

4 hours ago, MonsterChris said:

And I can't look at that weird, swept back wall of hair without it calling to mind that scene from There's Something About Mary.  This costume was at the top of my want list for so long, too.

Hahaha! I'm glad I don't collect X-men because I can't unsee that now. 🤣

On 12/29/2020 at 9:35 PM, mako said:

I disagree, There's nothing wasteful about it unless you work for Hasbro, Jean/Phoenix Cyclops 2 pack had 2 alt heads, Storm's new 2 pack had it, it made these sets way better than they would be otherwise. Not every character needs it sure, but popular characters Like Storm and Jean do qualify. In my mind there's not doubt that Storm only benefited with angry head she was included with. I would rather get additional Jeans angry head with well sculpted hair instead of Wolverines boring alt head with goatee.  

image.png

Ok I better stop reading these posts because I was initially excited about these figures after the pics were first revealed. Now I'm gonna be thinking about why Magneto has a silver helmet, etc. Damnit people! 😝  (I initially loved the Quicksilver that came in the Family Matters 3-pack and actually preferred him over that Scarlet Witch. Now I can't unsee Quicksilver's head being way too big for his body). I'm being facetious, I still think these figures are gorgeous 🙂

Re: the choice of BAF. I've surrendered to the fact that the X-men waves will (Apocalypse aside) get the weaker BAF because Hasbro knows X-fans will buy them (Sugarman aside lol). That's why Deadpool got Sauron and Strong Guy.