Alfred Molina Who Played Doc Ock In The Original Spider-Man Movies Returns For Spider-Man 3

JayC

It's being reported by Variety that Alfred Molina who played Doc Ock in the original Tobey MaGuire Spider-Man 2 movie will be returning Tom Holland Spider-Man 3 movie from Sony.

It's been previously reported that Jamie Foxx from the Andrew Garfield “The Amazing Spider-Man 2” movie will also be in this on reprising his role as Electro. Benedict Cumberbatch is also appearing in the movie as Doctor Strange.

All this continues to seemingly point to a Multiverse stroyline. The movie is slated for release on December 17, 2021.

Doc-Ock.jpg

the more we see these actors signing on to reprise their roles from the old spider-man movies , the more we can confirm that yes indeed this is some spider-verse thing, and I am not too keen on that whole idea at all personally, it strikes me as really lame and potentially franchise ruining.. but that's just me., it brings me back to the whole don't trust sony with this stuff they will mess it up, they love messing it up, you give them a bit of praise they just get way over confident.

spacer.png

14 minutes ago, tarot said:

I have a feeling all these old actors will just be glorified cameos and not involved in the actual plot.

That's kinda the feeling I get. Like somewhere in the movie they'll be travelling the multiverse through the quantum zone and there will be short or brief interactions with their alternate selves. I don't think there will be any major collaborations other than perhaps the Spider-Men. I don't think Molina is going to be a major catalyst in the overall plot.

On another train of thought, does anyone else think that Paton Oswalt or Jonah Hill would make a good Doc Ock?

30 minutes ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

the more we see these actors signing on to reprise their roles from the old spider-man movies , the more we can confirm that yes indeed this is some spider-verse thing, and I am not too keen on that whole idea at all personally, it strikes me as really lame and potentially franchise ruining.. but that's just me., it brings me back to the whole don't trust sony with this stuff they will mess it up, they love messing it up, you give them a bit of praise they just get way over confident.

spacer.png

Much like how Eternals is being set up to explain where the X-Men and Fantastic Four were during the Avengers timeframe, I think this is being set up to explain why the MCU was not present during on or around the time the original Spider-Man and Amazing Spider-Man arcs were going on. Not brilliant, not very creative, but it should be quite effective in tying them all together. It also should provide an avenue where they could possibly tie other franchises like Venom and Morbius into the fold in the future without a need for too much explanation. From now on it can just be like, "Oh yeah, we just popped in through the quantum zone and now we're here. Oh, and we put together of 6 villains who all want the death and destruction of every Spider-Man in the entire Multiverse." I can see that happening. If you think about it, pretty much all the major players in a possible Sinister Six have already been introduced through the three arcs, so basically all they have to do is set someone to travel through the Multiverse and pluck them all from their respective Universe and put the team together. Now that would actually be pretty creative.

What would be really cool is if J. Jonah Jameson is the exact same character through all the Multiverse. What is also a possibility is that JJJ is some universe jumping major bad guy like Kang and they're setting him up to be the villain in the next big crossover. You start playing with the Multiverse and basically nothing is off the table. Cheap and easy fix for all those hard questions people would be bringing up, but whatever works I guess.

dont  not know where I land on this news.. on one hand I think it would be awesome to see Maguire, Garfield and Holland together even if it is brief. On the other, those early Spidey films were great ( Spidey 2) to ok (ASM2, generous I know but Garfield was fun) for their time but Marvel movies, specifically the MCU,  has elevated their films well beyond those entries.

plus the animated film I assume will keep this theme going through one or two sequels so do we really need a live version?

ive supported and enjoyed every MCU movie thus far and have been greatly impressed how they have handled D listers like Mysterio, Vulture and the Shocker, although The Eternals is threatening to end their streak.. fingers crossed they pull their MCU magic with that one..

3 hours ago, mako said:

YAY!!! More multiverse crap.

Nothing says "Hey, our movie is worth watching," like using sloppy left-overs from OTHER movies.

So, Doc Ock is coming back from the dead, are Uncle Ben & Defoe's GG coming back from the grave as well?  Sheeeesh, c'mon now, gimme a break with this multi universe crap. Holland should be allowed to be Spiderman for a few movies. Toby's time came & went & Garfield was forgettable in the role. 

I never felt that McGuire or Garfield were the best Peter Parker, but they did what they could with what they had to work with. The best part for me was when Spidey and Doc Ock fought on the train. That felt like genuine Spiderman to me. I think the villains designs were the main problem in those franchises. Rhino was ridiculous, overkill on Green Goblin mask and tech suit, the Lizard was not good. Sandman could have been better done also. They were good movies for the time but not great by any means compared to the MCU.

I'm still very apprehensive of this movie, increasingly moreso with each new piece of news. So far, we have Kraven, Green Goblin, Doc Ock, Scorpion, Electro and probably others I'm forgetting set to appear in this movie, not to mention 3 different Spider-Men. I was really hoping for at least one more movie to establish Holland as Spidey before they do a Sinister Six or Spider-Verse movie. This movie runs the risk of continuing the Spider-Man movie curse of having way too many villains and storylines to be in any way cohesive. The only way I could see this working would be merely having multiverse cameos, maybe a final battle with all 3 fighting all the multiverse villains, but then everyone going back to their universe at the end, akin to ITSV. I want MCU Peter to have his time to shine now that he's not under Tony's wing anymore, and you can't really do that unless the movies are smaller scale. Luckily, it seems they'll do more than 3 MCU Spider-Man movies, but my love for Sony hasn't grown any since 2018. Hopefully those rights go to Disney eventually. All the cross-studio drama and universes is just getting confusing.

17 hours ago, Gigantor said:

So, Doc Ock is coming back from the dead, are Uncle Ben & Defoe's GG coming back from the grave as well?  Sheeeesh, c'mon now, gimme a break with this multi universe crap. Holland should be allowed to be Spiderman for a few movies. Toby's time came & went & Garfield was forgettable in the role. 

I grew up with and enjoyed the first Spider-Man trilogy, but I always felt that something was missing from Tobey's portrayal. I skipped the Garfield movies, mostly because I didn't get back into Marvel until like 2014/2015 with Guardians. As a long term Spider-Man fan, I can say that Holland's has by far been the most accurate in terms of the character and tone of the movies. I really want to see more of him as a solo character in Phases 4 and 5, and he can't do that if these movies are dredging up old stuff constantly. JJJ is one thing, but the villains is something else entirely.

On 12/9/2020 at 12:36 PM, leokearon said:

Now there are reports of Charlie Cox's DD might be turing up, at the rate it is going, will Tom Holland's Spidey even get an screentime

Yeah I saw that. Again, mixed feelings. Cox’s DD portrayal was amazing and IMO the clear gem of the Netflix shows but talk about a clash in styles.

DD ( with Cox once again taking up the role) needs a new show not a glorified cameo in Spidey 3. If they handled it as a fun “wink wink” here’s Matt Murdoch then have him do something DD like then is gone it could work. But anything more runs the chance of lessening DDs impact once he is allowed to be used in a proper DD MCU project.

10 hours ago, McHogan said:

Yeah I saw that. Again, mixed feelings. Cox’s DD portrayal was amazing and IMO the clear gem of the Netflix shows but talk about a clash in styles.

DD ( with Cox once again taking up the role) needs a new show not a glorified cameo in Spidey 3. If they handled it as a fun “wink wink” here’s Matt Murdoch then have him do something DD like then is gone it could work. But anything more runs the chance of lessening DDs impact once he is allowed to be used in a proper DD MCU project.

Yeah all these reports are getting ridiculous now,, the joke ones are more interesting and fun than the actual announcements.

11 hours ago, McHogan said:

I agree, the Netflix show was the best of the bunch, but it was so dark and so watered down. He never really became the DD we see in the comics. He was always being caught off guard and getting saved by another character. He just never became the badass he was supposed to be. No gliding through the city using his grapple line, no interaction with the public. It was like almost always on the verge of elevating to the DD everyone wanted to see yet never quite getting there. Especially the last season. He shoulda wiped the floor with Bullseye, yet he was lucky to walk away with his life. It was just too much of an "any man on the street wearing spandex" feel. If Marvel plans to use him they need to do him justice. If he is in Spider-Man three I hope it's a springboard to his own movie and I hope they make him a lot more dynamic than the Netflix show, a true Man Without Fear.

• 4 months later...

Back in December we first brought you word that actor Alfred Molina who played Doctor Octopus in Sam Raimi’s 2004 Spider-Man 2 movie would be returning to reprise the role in Sony's latest Spider-Man: No Way Home movie which stars Tom Holland as Spider-Man.

Alfred in a recent interview with Variety confirmed that he is in fact putting the tentacles back on for the latest Spider-Man movie which is slated to hit theaters on December 17, 2021.

“When we were shooting it, we were all under orders not to talk about it, because it was supposed to be some great big secret, but you know, it’s all over the internet. I actually described myself as the worst kept secret in Hollywood!”

Jamie Foxx is also slated to appear as Electro, the villain he played in “The Amazing Spider-Man 2.” All this seemingly will revolve around some type of multiverse/divergent timelines story.

While the rumors have seemingly been denied, many still think that both Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield who where the previous actors to play Spider-Man before Holland put the mask on will also be showing up in this one. I guess time will tell.