Costume Poll 2: Banshee

leokearon

Costume Poll 2: Banshee  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which Costume should they use for Banshee?

• Iconic Green
    • Muir Island/Training Uniform
    • Generation X
    • X-Corps
    • Horseman

In desperate need of an update. The second of my Costume Pools is everyone's favourite Irish X-Man Banshee. Once again, pick the costume you would like to seee Banshee have on a new marvel legends Figure

Iconic Green

banshee-bigcostume1.jpg

Muir Island/Training Uniform

banshee-bigcostume2.jpg

Generation X

banshee-bigcostume3.jpg

X-Corps

banshee-bigcostume4.jpg

Horseman

banshee-bigcostume05.jpg

I voted for classic green & yellow.  I think it's unquestionably the most urgently needed.  The figure should come with three heads in total: screaming; neutral; and his helmeted, Factor Three look.

After that one's in the can, the blue & yellow Muir Island uniform is a close second for me, followed more distantly by the Generation X uniform and then his Age of Apocalypse uniform.  Heads should be swappable across all four versions of the character to offer collectors plenty of options for display.  The classic heads (aside from the Factor Three one) should have that 1970's feathered Farrah Fawcett look.  Blue & yellow comes with two heads, screaming and neutral, but this time he's rocking wild and wooly sideburns as he sometimes do.  Both Generation X (again, screaming and neutral) heads are sporting super-cool 1990's stubble, and the neutral head is wearing little round John Lennon shades.  He also needs swappable arms/removable jacket like they've done with the upcoming Moira Mactaggert.  Frankly, if the AOA figure came with a screaming head only, I wouldn't be too disappointed provided he was the last made and we had all of the above already.

I don't have much interest in his X-Corps or Horseman uniforms.  I would probably take a pass on owning either of those.

I voted for the green uniform. The old one needs the collar. Multiple heads would be nice. Maybe a classic normal and screaming head, and a “modern” one from the Phalanx Covenant days. If they could throw in his origin look with the Factor 3 mind control device that would be cool.

If they do the training uniform they could pack in a Generation X head sculpt. It would work for me.

2 hours ago, MonsterChris said:

I voted for classic green & yellow.  I think it's unquestionably the most urgently needed.  The figure should come with three heads in total: screaming; neutral; and his helmeted, Factor Three look.

After that one's in the can, the blue & yellow Muir Island uniform is a close second for me, followed more distantly by the Generation X uniform and then his Age of Apocalypse uniform.  Heads should be swappable across all four versions of the character to offer collectors plenty of options for display.  The classic heads (aside from the Factor Three one) should have that 1970's feathered Farrah Fawcett look.  Blue & yellow comes with two heads, screaming and neutral, but this time he's rocking wild and wooly sideburns as he sometimes do.  Both Generation X (again, screaming and neutral) heads are sporting super-cool 1990's stubble, and the neutral head is wearing little round John Lennon shades.  He also needs swappable arms/removable jacket like they've done with the upcoming Moira Mactaggert.  Frankly, if the AOA figure came with a screaming head only, I wouldn't be too disappointed provided he was the last made and we had all of the above already.

I don't have much interest in his X-Corps or Horseman uniforms.  I would probably take a pass on owning either of those.

AoA would be sweet. That was a cool look. I like the new removable jackets feature. It would be nice to see that used more.

Iconic Green & Yellow no question, as most people said training outfit coming close behind that, I do love the Gen X look, just because I love Gen X, but I could do without ever getting that in figure form, just really need the Green & Yellow and we good.

No question, green/yellow. I posted this a few times before on the board....and floated the idea of a Banshee/Siryn 2 pack, even a running change (him in the classic suit, her in the blue/yellow, then vice versa). But regardless....green and yellow, all the way. I'm sure the flight panels will be soft goods like the first figure was done and I'm fine with that. 

banshee-sir_jpg_13780ffff02af695eba9302c0f3a5452.jpg.d691f3afb0a349d2d5c1367a2884c6fc.jpg

13 hours ago, RyanDaly said:

I gotta say, I'm shocked by the results of this poll. I definitely want the classic green costume, but I assumed I was in the minority based on how many people here seem to favor or feel nostalgia for the '90s X-Men lineups.

The green and yellow is his best known and the costume nearly everyone associates with Sean. Also it did wear it in the 90's cartoon and technically the Muir Island costume is from the 80's (it debuted in Dec 1989)

6 hours ago, leokearon said:

The green and yellow is his best known and the costume nearly everyone associates with Sean. Also it did wear it in the 90's cartoon and technically the Muir Island costume is from the 80's (it debuted in Dec 1989)

December 1989 is the '90s. 😉

I probably gave the training uniform more clout because I had the original ToyBiz Banshee figure and I read Generation X for its first two years.

banshee.jpg

Gotta go green for Banshee.  Now that being said, if they started releasing the team in the blue and yellow training uniform, I'd like to see him released in that costume too.  As it is, I'd rather get the classic that fits in just about all X-Men displays, rather than very specific costumes that we don't have the rest of the team to go with him.  

4 hours ago, RyanDaly said:

December 1989 is the '90s. 😉

I probably gave the training uniform more clout because I had the original ToyBiz Banshee figure and I read Generation X for its first two years.

banshee.jpg

Nostalgia is always a powerful marketing tool... 

Banshee isn't Spidey, Wolverine, Ironman, A+ characters that have sported different costumes in the comics. He's a B+ C- lister & rates just his classic Green/ Yellow iconic 1st app look. Don't want slots wasted on him for any other looks that can go to other deserving characters that have yet to be made. His classic 1st app look goes well with any era of X-Men. And tell the truth, the Blue/ yellow JL team , if it's ever made, needs to just be a box set.

On 12/11/2020 at 10:01 PM, Atlantis said:

I'm sure the flight panels will be soft goods like the first figure was done and I'm fine with that. 

I'm giving 50/50 odds on soft goods or hard plastic for the flight panels.  I'll cite the recent giant-size Storm's cape, Spide-Woman's underarm webbing, and Black Bolt's wings as precedent.  I think soft goods is probably the way they should go, but I wouldn't be completely floored if they did hard plastic.

On 12/13/2020 at 2:59 PM, Gigantor said:

His classic 1st app look goes well with any era of X-Men. And tell the truth, the Blue/ yellow JL team , if it's ever made, needs to just be a box set.

He wore the green and yellow costume in fewer than 20 separate issues before adopting the training uniform, which he wore for quite a few more issues than that, including several notable events, before the formation of Generation X. During Gen X, he continued to wear the training uniform, or some variation of it for the vast majority of 75 issues. He's come back to the green and yellow a few times since, usually for single-issue appearances here and there, but for the decade when he appeared most consistently and stayed most involved in super heroics, he wore the blue and yellow almost exclusively. The idea that the green and yellow is somehow his definitive look is dubious, at best.

1 hour ago, Benn said:

He wore the green and yellow costume in fewer than 20 separate issues before adopting the training uniform, which he wore for quite a few more issues than that, including several notable events, before the formation of Generation X. During Gen X, he continued to wear the training uniform, or some variation of it for the vast majority of 75 issues. He's come back to the green and yellow a few times since, usually for single-issue appearances here and there, but for the decade when he appeared most consistently and stayed most involved in super heroics, he wore the blue and yellow almost exclusively. The idea that the green and yellow is somehow his definitive look is dubious, at best.

Yeah it's probably not a numbers thing. I imagine it is definitive in people's minds because more people have read the Giant-Size and Phoenix era issue with him than those who have read the Shadow King arc leading to the Muir Island Saga. Probably more people have read those early issues than Generation X!

We may never get a Banshee in blue and yellow, but I bet you we get a second Wolverine.... 😉😄

38 minutes ago, Chunkylover said:

Yeah it's probably not a numbers thing. I imagine it is definitive in people's minds because more people have read the Giant-Size and Phoenix era issue with him than those who have read the Shadow King arc leading to the Muir Island Saga. Probably more people have read those early issues than Generation X!

We may never get a Banshee in blue and yellow, but I bet you we get a second Wolverine.... 😉😄

Well now don't forget that the blue & yellow is what he was wearing in X-Men (1991) issues 1-3, with that number one issue (probably) being the #1 selling single-issue comic book of all time.  That's certainly some fine exposure!  Remember also that not everyone first met Banshee in a comic book.  Some became aware of him through trading cards, action figures, animation, etc.  And while he wore green & yellow in the animated series, his original Toybiz figure was blue & yellow.  His trading cards in the 90s celebrated blue & yellow.  It's what he wore for "X-Tinction Agenda".

He kept that costume after most of the others traded theirs in for the "Jim Lee-era" designs, making it his de facto "Jim Lee-era" look.  While he wasn't a mainstay on the blue or gold teams, it was his uniform during a time that the X-Men may very well have been at their pop-culture zenith.

I personally hold it as a very close second to the green & yellow.  He wore it better than most of the other team did.  They were right to let him hang onto it for a while.

Don't get me wrong! I don't want to downplay the green uniform's importance. I just think the idea that it's the be-all, end-all look for Banshee is nonsense. Banshee is definitely a sporadic character who usually appears in green and yellow when he makes his occasional appearances, but he had one really active decade, the 90s, during which time he wore the blue and yellow almost exclusively. I have no doubt that the Phoenix saga and Giant Size X-Men are some of the most read and well-loved X-Men comics of all time, but remember that the 90s was also the decade when the X-Men were at the height of their popularity, and had more active readers than they had ever had prior or have ever had since. It's non-trivial. I'm not begrudging anyone their preference for the green, just responding to yet another of Gigantor's claims that nobody else's opinions matter but his own.