Marvel Celebrates Deadpool's 30th Anniversary With Covers By Rob Liefeld

JayC

The Merc with a Mouth turns 30! Three decades ago, Deadpool first appeared in the legendary NEW MUTANTS #98 by Rob Liefeld and Fabian Nicieza, and the comic book world has never been the same! Throughout 2021, Marvel is proud to celebrate the character’s anniversary in grand Marvel fashion starting with DEADPOOL NERDY 30 #1, a giant-sized special issue of classic Deadpool creators exploring the past, present, and future of Wade Wilson. The celebration continues with superstar creator Rob Liefeld who will return to his creation in a series of 30 extraordinary variant covers depicting Wade teaming up with heroes from all corners of the Marvel Universe!

“When the opportunity to illustrate 30 variant covers commemorating Deadpool’s 30th anniversary came up, I literally jumped at the chance! I went over a quick checklist with the Marvel brass and I think we’ve picked a great array of Marvel’s biggest and brightest stars to pair with the Mighty Merc over 30 unique covers!” Liefeld said. “It’s giving me a chance to draw Deadpool with Marvel stars I’ve never drawn before, like Miles Morales and Silver Surfer! This is going to be grand, I hope the fans enjoy this special event, it’s a blast putting it all together!

These outstanding pieces of artwork will grace the covers of your favorite ongoing series in 2021. See Deadpool reunite with Cable on the cover of X-FORCE #15, get bloody with Wolverine on the cover of X-MEN LEGENDS #4, go web-slinging with Miles Morales on MILES MORALES SPIDER-MAN #25, and more! Check out the first batch below and keep your eyes peeled for more DEADPOOL 30th Anniversary variant cover reveals coming your way when the celebration kicks off in March!

IMMORTAL HULK #45 LIEFELD DEADPOOL 30TH VARIANT

MILES MORALES SPIDER-MAN #25 LIEFELD DEADPOOL 30TH VARIANT
VENOM #35 LIEFELD DEADPOOL 30TH VARIANT
X-FORCE #18 LIEFELD DEADPOOL 30TH VARIANT A
X-FORCE #18 LIEFELD DEADPOOL 30TH VARIANT B
X-MEN LEGENDS #4 LIEFELD DEADPOOL 30TH VARIANT

HULK2018045_Liefeld_deadpool-30th.jpg

MMSM2018025_Liefeld_DP-30th.jpg

VENOM2018035_Liefeld_DP-30th-var.jpg

XFORCE2019018_Liefeld_A.jpg

XFORCE2019018_Liefeld_B.jpg

XMLEGENDS2021004_Liefeld_30-anni.jpg

It's just so amazing how Liefeld has learned nothing about anatomy and fluidity after 30 years. All he's really done is learned the McFarlane method of muddying up the shortcomings with a buncha texture and shading. At least he learned how to finish feet. Not do them well by any means, but at least finish them. Total bird cage lining.

4 hours ago, mako said:

What!?! This turds been around for 30 years?

Now I really am depressed.

spacer.png

Yeah really right, even looking at his art here after 30 years, ...ugh

19 minutes ago, monron999 said:

It's just so amazing how Liefeld has learned nothing about anatomy and fluidity after 30 years. All he's really done is learned the McFarlane method of muddying up the shortcomings with a buncha texture and shading. At least he learned how to finish feet. Not do them well by any means, but at least finish them. Total bird cage lining.

nothing you said here wasn't true SMH

2 hours ago, ADour said:

I remember last year when Liefeld parted ways with Marvel very dramatically on Twitter, he even implied taking legal action.

Did the cheque for these covers have enough zeros, Rob?

THIS is what I can't figure out. The man is a preening douche bag, a grating man-boy, a poor businessman, a sub-par artist, he's literally alienated every REAL comic professional he's ever worked with, he's committed numerous acts of plagiarism (landing him in court more than once), and he's been given the heave-ho by all three of the leading comic publishers in the industry . . . including the one he helped launch.

Yet, they keep having him back.

How does this guy keep getting work!?!

13 hours ago, mako said:

THIS is what I can't figure out. The man is a preening douche bag, a grating man-boy, a poor businessman, a sub-par artist, he's literally alienated every REAL comic professional he's ever worked with, he's committed numerous acts of plagiarism (landing him in court more than once), and he's been given the heave-ho by all three of the leading comic publishers in the industry . . . including the one he helped launch.

Yet, they keep having him back.

How does this guy keep getting work!?!

Hey, but he is the creator of Deadpool, right? I mean, Nicieza actually fleshed out his story and personality and Tony Moore and Skottie Young refined his look, but that part about stealing Marv Wolfman's concept for Deathstroke and then drawing a few pretty lines over a nude male body sketch, yeah that was all Rob.