Loki - Exclusive First-Look Trailer

Outsiders

20 minutes ago, SpiderS said:

Didn't comic book Age of Ultron ignore these rules tho? Especially when Logan went back to prevent his past time traveling self from doing something to Hank Pym.

I did say there are exceptions.

But aside from the paradox caused by Logan travelling back in time to stop himself from killing Pym (which is not 100% impossible since it's been explained that Doctor Doom's platform makes use of magi-tech to allow travel within one's timeline), it follows the rules since the Pym-less timeline wasn't Earth-616 but Earth-26111. The handbooks themselves clarify that the Invisible Woman and Wolverine that arrived at the good present in the end of the series are alternates whose fates are unknown after the story.

13 hours ago, ADour said:

But the time-travel rules they used for Endgame are pretty much the same as the rules in the comics. These rules have been broken from time to time, but a time-traveller being able to jump in time within their own timeline is an exception, not the norm. The comics have even had to come up with ways to explain the instances of time-travel within the same timeline.

qEL5AhhjTiHm9JpgR4HPAED-9f8GAs7d1AHPXUhf kukLp3ObJw06r-7bJuroodHGveRmJ9i1NjnZOYy5

Ya, it's gone back and forth, just with no consistency. I know the rules they wanted to set up, but they rarely stuck by them, and certainly not 100% of the time. How many times have time traveling character's plans been based on "undoing" something in the past to "fix" the future? Bishop, Cable, Kang? That's comics. My point is that I don't think the MCU is gonna be able to just ignore the rules they set up like the comics do. Now here's the fix. What if the MCU version of the TVA has always been behind the scenes "cleaning up" or "removing" all the alternate time streams that are created when a character thinks they are "changing" the past? Because, as the theory goes, if time travel will ever exist, then it's always existed. I'm totally down with that idea, and it would actually create some leeway for time travel stories in the future.

I'm not ripping the show by any means (not yet anyway), but I think my original point was just because the TVA was created many, many, many years ago does not mean the show based on it didn't "rip off" elements from shows like Quantum Leap.

4 hours ago, monron999 said:

Ya, it's gone back and forth, just with no consistency. I know the rules they wanted to set up, but they rarely stuck by them, and certainly not 100% of the time. How many times have time traveling character's plans been based on "undoing" something in the past to "fix" the future? Bishop, Cable, Kang? That's comics. My point is that I don't think the MCU is gonna be able to just ignore the rules they set up like the comics do. Now here's the fix. What if the MCU version of the TVA has always been behind the scenes "cleaning up" or "removing" all the alternate time streams that are created when a character thinks they are "changing" the past? Because, as the theory goes, if time travel will ever exist, then it's always existed. I'm totally down with that idea, and it would actually create some leeway for time travel stories in the future.

I'm not ripping the show by any means (not yet anyway), but I think my original point was just because the TVA was created many, many, many years ago does not mean the show based on it didn't "rip off" elements from shows like Quantum Leap.

Time-travellers going back in time to change the future in comics are no different than War Machine suggesting to go back in time to kill Thanos as a baby. The only difference is that other time-travellers seldom have a smart Hulk to tell them it doesn't work like that.

It's easy to miss this kind of nuance since we have an out-of-universe perspective of what transpires in the comics, but interally there's no reason why people have to understand the mechanics of time-travel unless they're Kang or Doctor Doom.

1 hour ago, ADour said:

Time-travellers going back in time to change the future in comics are no different than War Machine suggesting to go back in time to kill Thanos as a baby. The only difference is that other time-travellers seldom have a smart Hulk to tell them it doesn't work like that.

It's easy to miss this kind of nuance since we have an out-of-universe perspective of what transpires in the comics, but interally there's no reason why people have to understand the mechanics of time-travel unless they're Kang or Doctor Doom.

Which begs the question, what's the point of time travel if not to go back to make changes to the past, which would render the act of doing so pointless if it has no effect to the reality that you're trying to alter. At that point an organization like the TVA would make sense as it would constantly be cleaning up the messes as all these alternate timelines are being created by people attempting to change the past. As you said, there's no way for any of us to know and from our perspective it's still only theoretical, so the storyline potentials are literally endless and boundless. That's why I believe this show was made, in part, to shore up any loose ends or inconsistencies in the MCU that people have pointed out thus far and also be put in place to explain future issues that may arise in MCU. I guarantee, there will be at least a few hiccups when they attempt to weave the X-Men and FF into the MCU, and nothing like a little time travel, with some help from the Multiverse, to cure those ills.

After finally seeing every trailer, I am actually really hyped up about this, it looks really fun, it took awhile to grow on me, I was like eh..a Loki show, but I honestly think this has massive potential, it's going to introduce some interesting elements and possible characters into the mix, I feel like it's going to be a surpriser, I think this is going to be the best show out of the 1st three that's my humble prediction I think they saved this one for the summer for a reason. I could be wrong though *shrug*

Treating this the same as the other series. I watched the initial trailers but not watching anything else. Very happy not having anything spoiled regardless of how well Marvel guards their secrets. 

On 5/19/2021 at 7:47 PM, Atlantis said:

Looks like they're playing this for laughs....and I can't help but wonder if we're going to see Loki's asgardian god side, appear....

the trailers don't move me but thus far, aside from the Iron Fist, Inhumans, and SHIELD MCU on tv hasnt let me down. Bring it on!

So! Just watched the first episode. Not bad! And it had its humorous moments but its not strictly being "played for laughs", at least not this episode. No spoilers, but there were a lot of call backs to the events of the first Avengers movie. 

The first Wanda Vision episode didn't grab me. The first Falcon & the Winter Soldier did. This one is more in the middle. But I'm definitely looking forward to next week's episode!!

I'm going to assume most have watched the first episode but spoiler warning none the less. here are all the character that appeared in it that need a comic figure. Not really spoilers as they appeared in the trailers (not including stuff from the movies IE Dark World).

• Mobius M. Mobius
  • Ravonna - Kang most beloved. She was the judge
  • Time Keepers
  • TVA Minute Men

mobius.jpg

ravonna.png

timekeepers.jpg

tvaagents.jpg

34 minutes ago, RyanDaly said:

Even though Mobius and TVA aren't involved, this show makes me want an Avengers Forever wave or two.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Lots of great characters in that story, with or against the Avengers. Be a fun couple of lines. Could get some much needed updates and never before seen versions of others. 

I really enjoyed this episode, but my finicky side wishes the lore they provided for the TVA and the Time-Keepers computed with the established lore from the comics. I normally have no problems when adaptations deviate from the source material, but with the MCU dipping its toes in the Multiverse, it's kind of a completely different ballpark and, in theory, it should play along with the established rules of the Marvel Multiverse from the comics.

Oh, and I loved the design direction for the TVA. I don't know why, but while mid-century modern and populuxe aren't my preferred aesthetics on their own, I really enjoy them when they're applied with specific purposes like this one.

40 minutes ago, SpiderS said:

This is easily the best first episode of marvel Disney + shows, this episode does great job at creating mystery, giving Loki motivation and exploring his character and at the same time explaining enough about new circumstances  without giving away too much. Hopefully, following episodes are on the same level. 

Yeah i felt the exact same

26 minutes ago, ADour said:

I really enjoyed this episode, but my finicky side wishes the lore they provided for the TVA and the Time-Keepers computed with the established lore from the comics. I normally have no problems when adaptations deviate from the source material, but with the MCU dipping its toes in the Multiverse, it's kind of a completely different ballpark and, in theory, it should play along with the established rules of the Marvel Multiverse from the comics.

Oh, and I loved the design direction for the TVA. I don't know why, but while mid-century modern and populuxe aren't my preferred aesthetics on their own, I really enjoy them when they're applied with specific purposes like this one.

Also agreed, but it I mean we always knew they'd do their own adaption and it might not be exact.