Marvel Celebrates 80 Years Captain America With A Giant-Sized Tribute Issue

JayC

In March 1941, comic book legends Jack Kirby and Joe Simon introduced the world to Steve Rogers in the historic CAPTAIN AMERICA COMICS #1, and a pop culture icon was born. Now, Marvel is proud to honor their tremendous contribution to the comic book industry with CAPTAIN AMERICA TRIBUTE #1, a giant-sized special celebrating the character’s 80th anniversary.

CAPTAIN AMERICA TRIBUTE #1 will feature a cadre of Marvel’s best artists redrawing and modernizing Captain America’s first appearance, CAPTAIN AMERICA COMICS #1, as well as his genre-defining reintroduction to the Marvel Universe, Stan Lee and Jack Kirby’s AVENGERS #4. See the Star-Spangled Avenger’s extraordinary origin, his first battle against the Red Skull, and his Silver Age debut where he emerges from suspended animation to live on as a Star-Spangled Avenger like never before as your favorite artists reimagine these classic tales for a new age. These definitive comic book stories will be presented in an all-new way in a star-studded special that will delight long-time True Believers and the current generation of Marvel fans!

This unparalleled undertaking will include artwork by John Cassaday, Marguerite Sauvage, David Lapham, Declan Shalvey, Perf Pérez, Salvador Larroca, Leinil Francis Yu, Valerio Schiti, Carlos Pacheco, Inhyuk Lee, Kei Zama, Sara Pichelli, Jesús Saiz, Kim Jacinto, Adam Kubert, Federico Vicentini, Mahmud Asrar, Jim Cheung, Terry Dodson, Joe Bennett, Alex Ross, Steve Epting, Adam Hughes, Stephanie Hans, Javier Garrón, Alitha E. Martinez, Elena Casagrande, Paco Medina, Daniel Acuña, Chris Samnee, Butch Guice, Rachael Stott, Pepe Larraz, Greg Smallwood, Greg Land, Ray-Anthony Height, Mark Bagley, and Marvel’s Stormbreakers including Peach Momoko, Juann Cabal, Carmen Carnero, R.B. Silva, Joshua Cassara, Natacha Bustos, Iban Coello, and Patrick Gleason!

“We packed this book full of top-flight artistic talent, all paying tribute to the King,” Executive Editor Tom Brevoort said.

“So while you can just read these as stories, readers are definitely going to want to savor the experience, and see how each artist stacks up to the original work done by Jack Kirby.

For 80 years, Captain America’s adventures have entertained fans of all ages around the world. Don’t miss today’s top talent pay homage to Captain America’s most legendary stories when CAPTAIN AMERICA TRIBUTE #1 hits stands this coming March! Check out Steve McNiven’s cover below.

Captain-America-Tribute-1.jpg

That cover is horrible everyone has aged like a thousand years. Also the comic is pointless, why not just rerelease but Captain America Comics #1 and Avengers #4 as facsimile editions and let people enjoy the Kings actual work, instead of a pointless art jam.

Wow. Brag about the artwork featured inside and slap a cover on it with some incredibly hideous art. Why do they all look like zombies or really old people? The vast majority of the artists listed here I don't even know who they are. Also, why redo stories from the past? How about various new stories celebrating Caps long career spanning these 80 years? It'd be nice to revisit some of his various time periods and past friends and relationships but from new creators. Complaints aside, I do have to admit I'll likely get this as Captain America is my favorite and John Cassaday is one of my favorite artists ever so I'll check it out to see what he does.

2 hours ago, sentinelofliberty41 said:

The vast majority of the artists listed here I don't even know who they are.

I think you might be a bit out of the loop because most of them are established long-running Marvel artists. A lot of heavy hitters and only a handful I don't recognize. The only misfires seem to be Salvador Larroca and Greg Land, but the rest of the list is top-notch with people like Declan Shalvey, Valerio Schiti, Joe Bennett, Alex Ross, Steve Epting, Adam Huges, Javier Garrón, Chris Samnee, Pepe Larraz, Greg Smallwood, Mark Bagley, R.B. Silva, Iban Coello and Patrick Gleason.

3 hours ago, sentinelofliberty41 said:

Wow. Brag about the artwork featured inside and slap a cover on it with some incredibly hideous art. Why do they all look like zombies or really old people? The vast majority of the artists listed here I don't even know who they are. Also, why redo stories from the past? How about various new stories celebrating Caps long career spanning these 80 years? It'd be nice to revisit some of his various time periods and past friends and relationships but from new creators. Complaints aside, I do have to admit I'll likely get this as Captain America is my favorite and John Cassaday is one of my favorite artists ever so I'll check it out to see what he does.

If it is like the Giant-Size X-Men tribute, he will do one page

2 hours ago, ADour said:

I think you might be a bit out of the loop because most of them are established long-running Marvel artists. A lot of heavy hitters and only a handful I don't recognize. The only misfires seem to be Salvador Larroca and Greg Land, but the rest of the list is top-notch with people like Declan Shalvey, Valerio Schiti, Joe Bennett, Alex Ross, Steve Epting, Adam Huges, Javier Garrón, Chris Samnee, Pepe Larraz, Greg Smallwood, Mark Bagley, R.B. Silva, Iban Coello and Patrick Gleason.

I know Bennett, Ross, Epting, Hughes, Samnee and Bagley. I've been reading comics since 93 and don't recognize most. Maybe when I see their art I'll recognize them. I really wish Ron Garney or Ron Lim would have been on the list.

1 hour ago, leokearon said:

If it is like the Giant-Size X-Men tribute, he will do one page

That's exactly what I assume it'll be.

15 minutes ago, sentinelofliberty41 said:

I know Bennett, Ross, Epting, Hughes, Samnee and Bagley. I've been reading comics since 93 and don't recognize most. Maybe when I see their art I'll recognize them. I really wish Ron Garney or Ron Lim would have been on the list.

That's exactly what I assume it'll be.

I figured you'd be familiar with the most long-standing artists, but still, a lot of them are still also established artists and some of Marvel's most prominent current pencilers, even if their careers are, by comparison, shorter than those you mentioned.

1 hour ago, ADour said:

I figured you'd be familiar with the most long-standing artists, but still, a lot of them are still also established artists and some of Marvel's most prominent current pencilers, even if their careers are, by comparison, shorter than those you mentioned.

I'm also a very niche reader. I just stick to Cap and Avengers. I'm also horrible with names, lol.

As far as stacking up to the works of Jack Kirby the only one I can vouch for is Alex Ross. Of course I have been out of the comics collection since 2012 so I could be off my game a bit. Anyway if I was a betting man my money would be on Ross the boss.

6 hours ago, silverback said:

As far as stacking up to the works of Jack Kirby the only one I can vouch for is Alex Ross. Of course I have been out of the comics collection since 2012 so I could be off my game a bit. Anyway if I was a betting man my money would be on Ross the boss.

Ross is a fantastic artist, but once again he will probably be just doing a page

• 1 month later...
On 12/15/2020 at 7:46 AM, ADour said:

Wait...what's wrong with Salvador Larroca?

3 hours ago, enzosaurusrex said:

Wait...what's wrong with Salvador Larroca?

Even since he's gone photo-realistic in the mid-2000s, his style has gone downhill. His faces are very uncanny valley, his shading is pretty bad, he takes very obvious shortcuts like copy-pasting the same character or object in several panels instead of redrawing it, and he relies too much on tracing. When he was drawing Iron Man, his Tony Stark was 90% traced photographs of Josh Holloway, and when he drew Star Wars, 90% of his panels and faces were infamously just straight-up traced from screencaps of the movies. Some of his most flagrant examples include tracing memes, like the heart attack guy or cocaine bear. He was also recently caught using a Star Wars map lifted straight up from DeviantArt (with watermark and everything)

stark-7.jpg?w=700&h=438&zoom=2 iron-sawyer-11qouj.jpg shameonyou_larroca.jpg WLxSIjX.jpg EkzPQmuWkAENkzG.jpgEhWuwRXWsAgtZkt?format=jpg&name=900x900 i-fucking-love-cocaine.jpg doctor-doom-7.jpg CoverSwipe-Doctor-Doom.jpg?q=50&fit=crop

Awh man that's disappointing. I remember loving his Heroes Reborn run (from my bro's copies of the book) when he first debuted and when he did the art for X-treme X-men.

I do remember random stuff from him like Iceman looking like Brad Pitt and thinking that was weird but not to this extent 😞