New WandaVision News And Discussion

JayC

On 1/6/2021 at 11:00 PM, silverback said:

Certainly some very interesting scenes here, on the surface this could give the impression of a sitcom type comedy but from some of the content on the trailers I feel a serious undertow of Marvel suspense thriller underneath it all. This could definitely be a big surprise and not what we may think it is. Whatever we think it is.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking. Hopefully it's good.

21 hours ago, leokearon said:

Being a big Wanda and Vision fan, I'm both excited and worried about this series. 

I don't know. The more I see of it, the better I feel.

Also, that's totally the kitchen from the Dick Van Dyke Show! Talk about a deep-dive. I'm ready to watch this sucker just to see what other couch-potato fan service they work in.

2 hours ago, mako said:

I don't know. The more I see of it, the better I feel.

Also, that's totally the kitchen from the Dick Van Dyke Show! Talk about a deep-dive. I'm ready to watch this sucker just to see what other couch-potato fan service they work in.

I just want any references to the likes of Disassembled and HOM to be kept to minimium or better not to be referenced at all

The more of these trailers they release, the more and more frustrated I keep getting. Every time I see one I think I've nailed down the premise, but then the next trailer sets me back a few paces. Looking at them all together I'm firmly under the impression that this world is not a world of Wanda's own making. She's actually in captivity or simulation for the safety of herself and others around her, and the world itself, quite frankly.

I'm thinking what happened is sometime after Endgame Wanda had one of her famous mental breakdowns. I think the show of her powers as she fought Thanos and damn near killed him was a very intentional placement in the movie, Unlike the cringeworthy "Girl Power" scene, it was well done and totally relevant to setting up Phase 4. Her powers have been somewhat "unlocked" and her full potentially has been realized and the powers that be, probably Thunderbolt Ross or SHIELD or perhaps Damage Control, have taken noticed and realized she must be contained in the event that she suffers a complete meltdown. It's possible that there's been another event since the one in Captain America: The Winter Soldier that we just haven't been aware of yet.

I think they probably put her in containment and simulation in an area similar to the one hinted to that "The Big Green Guy" had been put in on Agents of SHIELD. The first part of the show will be her realizing that she has some control of the environment around her through use of her own powers which which her captors cannot stop, but only hope to contain and control, and she'll be able to mold her world and life to her liking. Agatha Harkness will be an infiltrator, working as a double agent within whatever agency is holding her and is slowly, behind the scenes, trying to break her out of her simulation and actually make her have a psychotic episode in order to use her for her own nefarious plans. Of course, we all know Wanda will eventually escape, and she will eventually have a full mental breakdown which will have major consequences to the MCU like a House of M or whatever they are setting up for the Multiverse of Madness storyline that's supposed to traverse several franchises. Maybe something will happen where she will do something in a past timeline that will bring about the creation of the Mutants and then somehow brings them into the MCU timeline.

Once they opened up the Multiverse in Ant-Man and the Wasp, a billion possibilities opened as well. I've had this wild theory that, since there's been no real explanation as to how the Mind Stone actually gave Wanda and Petro their powers, that it will eventually be revealed that the stone didn't imbue them with abilities but rather somehow pulled them, being true mutants, from an alternate world in the multiverse where mutants actually exist, Eventually she will try to access the multiverse to retrieve her brother, who is most likely with the X-Men in his particular universe, and she will inadvertently open a portal that brings the X-Men to the MCU

I know that's a long crazy theory, but it would be better that the whole "Mutants were created by the Celestials and have been in the MCU the entire time, but were hiding inside some pocket universe" thing a lot of online personalities are theorizing.

34 minutes ago, monron999 said:

The more of these trailers they release, the more and more frustrated I keep getting. Every time I see one I think I've nailed down the premise, but then the next trailer sets me back a few paces. Looking at them all together I'm firmly under the impression that this world is not a world of Wanda's own making. She's actually in captivity or simulation for the safety of herself and others around her, and the world itself, quite frankly.

I have a similar theory. Basically, I think they have a The Prisoner/Matrix/Truman Show type thing going. My impression is Wanda is a prisoner of who/whatever the Big-Bad for the show is supposed to be. While a prisoner, she's given an entire world to run-around in, complete with a fake Vision, while Big-Bad tries to harness/figure out her powers (find out about mutants?). Basically, Wanda's in a big rat's maze. As time goes on, she begins to "outgrow" her cage, and with help from fake Vision (given some semblance of his former "life" through Wanda's influence), and SHIELD, who lend a hand on the outside, manages to free herself.

2 hours ago, mako said:

I have a similar theory. Basically, I think they have a The Prisoner/Matrix/Truman Show type thing going. My impression is Wanda is a prisoner of who/whatever the Big-Bad for the show is supposed to be. While a prisoner, she's given an entire world to run-around in, complete with a fake Vision, while Big-Bad tries to harness/figure out her powers (find out about mutants?). Basically, Wanda's in a big rat's maze. As time goes on, she begins to "outgrow" her cage, and with help from fake Vision (given some semblance of his former "life" through Wanda's influence), and SHIELD, who lend a hand on the outside, manages to free herself.

Wow. That's pretty good too. That kinda puts a Mojoworld spin on things. What if the big Shyamalan twist is that Mojo (who happens to be infatuated with Mutants and their ability to boost ratings) is behind this entire caper? Now, that's a way to bring the X-Men rumbling into the MCU.

Haven't watched yet, which is weird because the Marvel lineup is the sole reason I even bought Disney+, but I hear it's a total mindf##ck. I knew it would be, and it's looking to be a whole containment/manipulation plots as I was predicting. I'm debating if I should watch now or wait another few episodes so I can do a bender....errrrr....I mean binger.

2 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

The first two episodes were fun but didn’t really scratch my itch for more epic mcu adventures. I think if you appreciate the sitcoms they are sending up you will enjoy it, if you are looking for something action-packed you will likely find it disappointing. I liked it though 

I may be biased, these slow-burner short form sci-fi mystery type shows are like crack to me. Plus as an old-school couch potato I take special pleasure in all those TV tropes and easter-eggs.

I like episodes for what they are but imo they should  have been closer to "too many cooks" short from adult swim or even closer to twin peaks, it wasn't creepy, weird or cerebral enough in these two episodes, all the hints about it being fake are very subtle, but we only saw 2 episodes which isn't much, I guess they are betting on MCU magic keeping people around, but I def see a lot of casual people being disinterested after seeing these 2 episodes, even if following episodes are amazing having such slow debut isn't good strategy I think. 

I found the first two episodes fun, but not particularity exciting and didn't really scratch the MCU itch yet, I know the action will pick up, I guess the first two just felt nothing like anything MCU we have seen before, but they were fun, I am looking forward to what comes next, I only wish we just got every episode at once, I hate the whole waiting thing. I also thought the episodes were really short not the length I was expecting. 

I really liked what I saw in the first two episodes. I enjoyed the sitcommy stuff, and I love how off it is, and how that's growing along with a sense of impending doom. I like subtle, and I love nuance. I'm not looking for this to scratch a big MCU itch or anything, per se. I just want to see some good tv, and so far, I feel like I'm getting it.  My only complaint is that we have to wait a week to see more.

These first two episodes didn't grab me. I can see what they were going for, and its clear this isn't supposed to be the "meat" of the series - the nitty gritty is on the way- but there's a way to hook the viewer in and this wasn't it. Fortunately it wasn't what I would call "bad" so I'm looking forward to the next show.

11 hours ago, SpiderS said:

I like episodes for what they are but imo they should  have been closer to "too many cooks" short from adult swim or even closer to twin peaks, it wasn't creepy, weird or cerebral enough in these two episodes, all the hints about it being fake are very subtle, but we only saw 2 episodes which isn't much, I guess they are betting on MCU magic keeping people around, but I def see a lot of casual people being disinterested after seeing these 2 episodes, even if following episodes are amazing having such slow debut isn't good strategy I think. 

While my personal preference would've been for more creepy stuff, the show is rated TV-PG rather than TV-14, so i wouldn't expect anything like 'too many cooks'.  And the creepy stuff they did have worked pretty well imo, especially since it was such a contrast to the goofy sitcom that surrounded it. 

I've already seen a number of mcu fans commenting that they found it boring,  not an opinion i share but i can understand where they are coming from.  Probably doesn't help that this is people first mcu fix in quite awhile (aside from Agents of Shield i guess, but i'm not sure that even counts) ... if we had gotten a few movies last year, people might be more forgiving of this  show's  lack of action.

I'm guessing that the Venn diagram for "mcu fans" and "people who appreciate 50s/60s sitcoms (sincerely or ironically)" does not have that huge of an overlap.  A send-up of the Office or something may have worked better, i dunno.  But i'm enjoying it so i'm not gonna worry about it.