New WandaVision News And Discussion

JayC

Opinions on the first two episodes of the new Disney+ WandaVision series that debuted on the streaming service seem to be relatively split. I've seen comments online ranging from it being boring to loving the unique storytelling style. However you come down on the first two episodes, I do think more exciting things from the show will soon be coming. I will keep spoilers out of this, but if you are familiar with Vision and Scarlet Witch's history in the comic books, I think you can start to see where they are going with this show.

Anyway check out this newest clip from the show with footage for upcoming episodes.

WandaVision-Episode-3.jpg

After these first two episodes I can certainly see where it could go in the direction of the comics. Which is not a bad idea at all, but from the clues we got in the first two shows I still don't have a clue on what single villain could be controlling all this. Maybe its all a dream.

17 minutes ago, silverback said:

After these first two episodes I can certainly see where it could go in the direction of the comics. Which is not a bad idea at all, but from the clues we got in the first two shows I still don't have a clue on what single villain could be controlling all this. Maybe its all a dream.

There are plenty of villain candidates, (Nightmare, Chthon, Mojo) of course, it might not be a single villain it could be a group

1 hour ago, silverback said:

I don't think its a dream....it looks more like the Vision & Scarlet Witch, plus some of the supporting cast, are trapped in some kind of mind-altering scenario and are being observed/detained by SWORD (who themselves are filling the SHIELD gap). The SWORD logo is shown here and there in these first two episodes, so it wouldn't surprise me if the show is going into the direction of a few of the comic books arcs, where Vision suffered a trauma and then attempted to take control of the world's computers.  He regained his senses but was closely monitored by a coalition of government agencies in case it happened again. Also, we know how Wanda had her reality warping saga in the books and maybe elements of that are being sewn in here too.

Overall I was just bored by these first 2 episodes. I hope they pull it together. Theres a LOT of potential here.

5 hours ago, Atlantis said:

I don't think its a dream....it looks more like the Vision & Scarlet Witch, plus some of the supporting cast, are trapped in some kind of mind-altering scenario and are being observed/detained by SWORD (who themselves are filling the SHIELD gap). The SWORD logo is shown here and there in these first two episodes, so it wouldn't surprise me if the show is going into the direction of a few of the comic books arcs, where Vision suffered a trauma and then attempted to take control of the world's computers.  He regained his senses but was closely monitored by a coalition of government agencies in case it happened again. Also, we know how Wanda had her reality warping saga in the books and maybe elements of that are being sewn in here too.

Overall I was just bored by these first 2 episodes. I hope they pull it together. Theres a LOT of potential here.

Yes, a lot of potential. I wonder if any of the other neighbors may turn out to be other Marvel characters in the same situation as Wanda and Vision.

I never understood how they "killed" off the MCU Vision so easily, since he was supposed to be a superior model to Ultron, and Ultron wiped the floor with the Avengers. Besides, he's an android....he was never "alive", so how could he actually die? Perhaps the show will answer that. 

I'm also interested in how they define the Scarlet Witch's powers. How is she materializing objects out of thin air like that? IS she doing that, or is this some form of telekinesis/teleportation? 

On 1/5/2021 at 1:03 PM, SUPREME007 said:

Man I hope this show will fire on all cylinders, looking amazing. Wonder if this will introduce new concepts into the mcu? Hopefully so.

Hope so. They've already made the mistake of presenting the Vision as a "robot" as opposed to a synthetic being. Even the comics get this wrong so not much criticism I can toss there. Although this outing bored me to tears I'm still looking forward to their Halloween night where we get to see Vision with his true color palette, not to mention his flowing cape and signature collar. Sure, they're deliberately cheesy renditions of their costumes....but they still look good!

13 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

I never understood how they "killed" off the MCU Vision so easily, since he was supposed to be a superior model to Ultron, and Ultron wiped the floor with the Avengers. Besides, he's an android....he was never "alive", so how could he actually die? Perhaps the show will answer that. 

I'm also interested in how they define the Scarlet Witch's powers. How is she materializing objects out of thin air like that? IS she doing that, or is this some form of telekinesis/teleportation? 

They've already made the mistake of presenting the Vision as a "robot" as opposed to a synthetic being. Even the comics get this wrong so not much criticism I can toss there. Although this outing bored me to tears I'm still looking forward to their Halloween night where we get to see Vision with his true color palette, not to mention his flowing cape and signature collar. Sure, they're deliberately cheesy renditions of their costumes....but they still look good!

Vision was nerfed for plot reasons. If he wasn't damaged at the start of Infinity War, there would have been no story as he and Wanda would have defeated the Black Order easily and therefore no snap.

Yeah Wanda's powers need better definition (same in the comics), she doesn't even use her telepathic powers any more

12 minutes ago, leokearon said:

Vision was nerfed for plot reasons. If he wasn't damaged at the start of Infinity War, there would have been no story as he and Wanda would have defeated the Black Order easily and therefore no snap.

Yeah Wanda's powers need better definition (same in the comics), she doesn't even use her telepathic powers any more

Well, if that's true, its a weak and flawed reason on the filmmakers' part. If they had written it better we wouldnt have to point out the obvious stumble they made. 

On 12/17/2020 at 5:26 PM, JayC said:
Marvel has released a new 30 second spot for the upcoming Disney+ WandaVision series.

WandaVision, an Original Series from Marvel Studios, starts streaming January 15 on Disney+.

wandavision_ver2_xlg__scaled_600.jpg

Anybody else wonder why the nod to the sitcoms of the 50's-60s, which Wanda, as a Sokovian European, would not likely be able to relate to, and certainly not the Vision, who is basically only a few years old at this point? 

10 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

Anybody else wonder why the nod to the sitcoms of the 50's-60s, which Wanda, as a European, would not likely be able to relate to, and certainly not the Vision, who is basically only a few years old at this point? 

I think they mentioned that that would be explained. The common reason is that Wanda watched Sitcoms while growing up. Of course, it could also be that the mastermind loves sitcoms

11 minutes ago, leokearon said:

I think they mentioned that that would be explained. The common reason is that Wanda watched Sitcoms while growing up. Of course, it could also be that the mastermind loves sitcoms

Yeah see I have a problem with that because she had a traumatic childhood full of strife. The MCU background goes: "....horrifically traumatic experience gave the twins a great hatred for Tony Stark, and later, the Avengers, whom they aimed to take down. The Maximoffs dedicated much of their lives to this goal, including organizing protests against the Avengers. Their constant political activity put Wanda and Pietro on both S.H.I.E.L.D. and HYDRA's radar as potential threats and allies, respectively..." 

Not much room for watching American sitcoms there. Wanda just wouldn't have been doing that, and it makes even less sense for the Vision. Lets face it, the sitcom thing is really more for us, the viewers of today, to relate to. 

I know, I know....some people are going to call this nit-picking. But it hit me the first time I saw it and to me, its not a minor thing.

34 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

Yeah see I have a problem with that because she had a traumatic childhood full of strife. The MCU background goes: "....horrifically traumatic experience gave the twins a great hatred for Tony Stark, and later, the Avengers, whom they aimed to take down. The Maximoffs dedicated much of their lives to this goal, including organizing protests against the Avengers. Their constant political activity put Wanda and Pietro on both S.H.I.E.L.D. and HYDRA's radar as potential threats and allies, respectively..." 

Not much room for watching American sitcoms there. Wanda just wouldn't have been doing that, and it makes even less sense for the Vision. Lets face it, the sitcom thing is really more for us, the viewers of today, to relate to. 

I know, I know....some people are going to call this nit-picking. But it hit me the first time I saw it and to me, its not a minor thing.

The traumatic childhood really started after her house was bombed, we don't know what her early childhood was like. The family could have been watching Sitcoms as a way of escapism, like Wanda is doing now.

5 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Anybody else wonder why the nod to the sitcoms of the 50's-60s, which Wanda, as a Sokovian European, would not likely be able to relate to, and certainly not the Vision, who is basically only a few years old at this point? 

I don't think it's her creating these realities. It's most likely an outside entity who saw these shows and though that's what the real world was like and is putting her in those idealistic settings to extract something out of her. I don't think SWORD is behind it. I think they're trying to help her break out of it. I'm guessing it's some off-world party because SWORD is like the cosmic version of SHIELD, it's not a direct replacement of it.

49 minutes ago, monron999 said:

I don't think it's her creating these realities. It's most likely an outside entity who saw these shows and though that's what the real world was like and is putting her in those idealistic settings to extract something out of her. I don't think SWORD is behind it. I think they're trying to help her break out of it. I'm guessing it's some off-world party because SWORD is like the cosmic version of SHIELD, it's not a direct replacement of it.

Yeah, it's  clear that someone else is pulling the strings 

Ok I can see S.W.OR.D. maybe trying to help here- and their logo was on the red & gold toy Wanda found, which makes me see a nod to Stark, and also there was the tv commercial featuring a Stark product (toaster that was counting down like a bomb- not unlike the Stark bomb that killed Wanda's family). Also the commercial featuring the Von Strucker /Hydra watch. Both of these references hark back to the movie, and its likely something Wanda's mind is working thru as she gets back to reality. I still find the episodes flat, but at least I'm curious enough to tune in to see if there's anything worth watching here.

10 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Ok I can see S.W.OR.D. maybe trying to help here- and their logo was on the red & gold toy Wanda found, which makes me see a nod to Stark, and also there was the tv commercial featuring a Stark product (toaster that was counting down like a bomb- not unlike the Stark bomb that killed Wanda's family). Also the commercial featuring the Von Strucker /Hydra watch. Both of these references hark back to the movie, and its likely something Wanda's mind is working thru as she gets back to reality. I still find the episodes flat, but at least I'm curious enough to tune in to see if there's anything worth watching here.

S.W.O.R.D are trying to help it seems to suggest that Wanda is a member as she's seen wearing a necklace with their logo in some images and according to some merchandise that Monica has one as well which is important to unravelling part of the mystery  

I wonder that since Marvel seems to have regained X-Men from 20th Century Fox, if they can go back and establish Wanda as a mutant now. It never sat well with me that her powers came from Hydra scientists. 

Well, its more likely Disney is just gonna concentrate on the here and now. Probably dont care about her origins.

1 hour ago, Atlantis said:

I wonder that since Marvel seems to have regained X-Men from 20th Century Fox, if they can go back and establish Wanda as a mutant now. It never sat well with me that her powers came from Hydra scientists. 

Well, its more likely Disney is just gonna concentrate on the here and now. Probably dont care about her origins.

Many books have hinted that there was something about the twins that allowed the twins to survive the experiments

On 1/18/2021 at 1:45 AM, leokearon said:

Many books have hinted that there was something about the twins that allowed the twins to survive the experiments

We'll see, I guess. I doubt the MCU will bother with it but hopefully the comics will restore the kids as mutants. I really despise these clumsy and needless retcons and "hidden backgrounds" that so many of these clods, who call themselves writers, come up with. What really burns me is Marvel lets these other media forums dictate what the comics are doing, as opposed to the other way around. They stupidly sold the X-Men movie rights to some corporation, and now cant even use the term "mutant"? Senseless but ok. Thats the movies, shouldnt be the same for the comics.

But hey I'm ranting and who cares. My main hope is that the show does very well; I hope to see the Vision (in a costume closer to his comic form) back on the big screen soon.