Hasbro Marvel Legends And Other 6" Lines Price Hike For 2021?!?

JayC

With a new year upon us, it seems like the dreaded price increase for Hasbro's 6" action figure lines is also upon us as well. Earlier today we were treated to our first Marvel Legends pre-order for 2021, and with that many couldn't help but notice the increase in price from the normal $19.99 to $22.99.

I've been doing some checking, and while not officially confirmed by Hasbro yet, this price increase seems to be for all Marvel Legends releases as well as other 6" lines like Hasbro's Star Wars Black Series. I haven't checked on every single 6" line Hasbro does, or other scales of figures from Hasbro, so I can't say for sure how it will impact things like Power Ranger, G.I. Joe Classified or even smaller scale lines or things like Transformers. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see some kind of price hike all across the board.

From what I can tell you should expect to see prices increase with products seeing release around July time frame.

While seeing prices increase is never a good thing, it should also be noted that Hasbro has held off on increasing their prices for these things for several years, and truth is the prices only go up on these things, not down.

I also don't know what kind of impact these price hikes will have at the big box stores like Walmart and Target. Those stores often are given discounts the smaller guy doesn't get, just because they order so much more inventory, and they could likely take on a price increase without raising prices on the consumer, at least for a while just to try and thin out the competition. Small retailers don't have that luxury, so this kind of thing tends to hurt them more than the larger stores. We will have to wait and see how all this plays out.

Hasbro-price-hike.jpg

yeah feels like we were talking about the same thing last year.  But it it turns out to be true, glad i have most of the characters i want already.  will probably just push me further into cherry picking and waiting on sales, but that's OK.  A price increase will also likely encourage more people to figswap and/or steal BAF pieces tho. 

12 minutes ago, bashpics99 said:

yeah feels like we were talking about the same thing last year.  But it it turns out to be true, glad i have most of the characters i want already.  will probably just push me further into cherry picking and waiting on sales, but that's OK.  A price increase will also likely encourage more people to figswap and/or steal BAF pieces tho. 

It wasnt rumor, it just didnt end up being across the board. I've done checking, this looks to be across the board this time staring with stuff in July.

19 minutes ago, Ironspider428 said:

$3 isn’t a huge increase, but it’ll add up after a few waves. I guess this year I’ll have to really stick to cherry picking, only Spider-Man, MCU and a couple other characters here and there. 

Could be worse, could be $30 which is what i've been seeing reports of the 6" Jazwares Fortnite figures selling for at Targets recently.

32 minutes ago, JayC said:
it should also be noted that Hasbro has held off on increasing their prices for these things for several years, and truth is the prices only go up on these things, not down.

It should ALSO be noted that this same article (or ones strikingly similar) runs at least once a year, so we should take it for what its worth.

That being said, an across the board price hike to accompany the pending minimum wage increase is only to be expected, much as the increase in unemployment that will follow as many already pandemic ravaged smaller businesses will be unable to hire as many entry-level employees or retain ones they already have.

12 minutes ago, Ironspider428 said:

That's very true. Will the anniversary lines also increase in price then? Those could end up closer to $30.

That I don't know yet. I do know there some rather expensive figures in the works ala the Deluxe MODOK, but I dont know how much of that is price hike and how much of it is size of the figure.

7 minutes ago, mako said:

It should ALSO be noted that this same article (or ones strikingly similar) runs at least once a year, so we should take it for what its worth.

That being said, an across the board price hike to accompany the pending minimum wage increase is only to be expected, much as the increase in unemployment that will follow as many already pandemic ravaged smaller businesses will be unable to hire as many entry-level employees or retain ones they already have.

Dude feel free not to believe it. I really don't care if you do or not. I've demonstrated my info is pretty accurate but certainly your welcome to wait until you find it on shelf and see it at the increased price.

8 minutes ago, JayC said:

Dude feel free not to believe it. I really don't care if you do or not. I've demonstrated my info is pretty accurate but certainly your welcome to wait until you find it on shelf and see it at the increased price.

And yes things change or sometimes we only get partial info like last year, which is why I specifically checked to see if this would be for regular releases as well because my initial thought with She-Hulk was maybe the price increase was due to it being a Fan Channel exclusive. From what I can tell this is not just limited to fan channel exclusive or special sub lines. We got a price increase last year, it just wasn't on everything.

Damn this blows, 3 dollars for a single figure Aint bad but after u buy majority of their lines stuff its adds up. I hope this means atleast hasbro will start to implement their new articulation scheme across all the marvel legends cuz the consistent reuse sucks. But that won't happen.

I really don't understand the increase in price. Hasbro has done a few changes with the line and brought some the quality up, sure, but the big change coming is going pegless which they said was good for cost savings. Maybe pass the savings on to the consumer and at least keep the price the same? I'm just glad I bought the last of the characters I needed already. It'll be extreme cherry picking now.

30 minutes ago, sentinelofliberty41 said:

I really don't understand the increase in price. Hasbro has done a few changes with the line and brought some the quality up, sure, but the big change coming is going pegless which they said was good for cost savings. Maybe pass the savings on to the consumer and at least keep the price the same? I'm just glad I bought the last of the characters I needed already. It'll be extreme cherry picking now.

the price of oil and other material keeps rising. That the main factor into this.

1 hour ago, tarot said:

the price of oil and other material keeps rising. That the main factor into this.

I get that, but if that were the case shouldn't the price have gone up a few years ago when oil was ridiculously high? Regardless, I'm not bailing since Legends is the only modern toy line I collect. I just hope this is as high as it goes for a good while. 

Last year the Fantastic Four wave and one or two Black Series waves were $21.49, presumably to test the waters, but they ended up sticking with $19.99 for the rest of the year. This year they're peppering in $22.99 waves in the late spring/early summer, and by the end of the summer $22.99 will be the new price. At least for 2021, $24.99 will remain the price for the anniversary line.

The price hike irks me but being as the ML line is the only toy line I buy & I don't collect MCU figs & cherry pick only the comic based figs I like, this won't break me. But with a $3 price hike, they better start including numerous alternate heads & hands with just about every damn character & incorporating the pinless tech in all their figs. 

2 hours ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

Yup here in Canada all new releases starting with ITSV wave are now $32, if it goes up any higher I'm going to have to jump off board because 40 for a marvel legend is ridiculous and I will refuse.

YES. We must all have our "walk away" point. Regardless of how much I may like a figure or even if I could easily afford it, if they hit that price that I deem ridiculous, then I'm gone.