Hasbro Marvel Legends And Other 6" Lines Price Hike For 2021?!?

JayC

2 hours ago, Psychosomatic said:

EXACTLY!  Same thing with Shang Chi! I think the Shang Chi figures might not have seemed as exciting until the trailer hit and people realized it was probably going to be another hot property!  Always funny to see people try to predict what are going to be great sellers and what are not. We are talking about toys. They are a want, not a need, so if you want them bad enough you will pay what they are asking. People paid almost $400 for a Haslab Sentinel (me included), and will spend the same on Galactus (me included). Hasbro knows what they are doing. 🙂

I would say you're probably right about Shang Chi. At the moment a lot of folks are up in the air on getting them but as soon as the film drops they'll get heat. Kong vs Godzilla did this, Eternals will do this. Just a matter of when.

6 hours ago, sentinelofliberty41 said:

I would say you're probably right about Shang Chi. At the moment a lot of folks are up in the air on getting them but as soon as the film drops they'll get heat. Kong vs Godzilla did this, Eternals will do this. Just a matter of when.

Neither movie will make me drop a penny on either line.

4 hours ago, Gigantor said:

Yeah. I don't get this notion that a movie will compel you to buy a figure. I loved Marvel's movies but the only MCU figure I ever bought was Iron Man from the first Avengers movie and Black Panther. Both of those are just about spot on for the comics anyway. I am baffled that anyone would want to buy the figures we've seen for the Eternals, whether its a great movie or not. 

10 hours ago, Brenttoo said:

Unfortunate, but fair. Maybe its just me, but two or three dollars per figure doesn't get me nearly as upset as what scalpers put them up for. That entire Disney+ wave is already up for "preorder" on ebay for twice this price. I swear to God I'd go to prison for life if I could my hands on a scalper.

Not really. Two or three dollars is kinda ridiculous . . . considering. I won't pretend that I'm not willing to give Hasbro my hard-earned toy-buying dollar, but I'm old school. I expect to get what I pay for. They wanna up the price, fine . . . once they show me they deserve it. I'm talking improved QC, distribution, and materials.

We all saw the Elmer Fudd cartoon when we were kids. You don't just GET more money, you provide improved goods and services for it.

6 hours ago, Gigantor said:

1 hour ago, Atlantis said:

Yeah. I don't get this notion that a movie will compel you to buy a figure. I loved Marvel's movies but the only MCU figure I ever bought was Iron Man from the first Avengers movie and Black Panther. Both of those are just about spot on for the comics anyway. I am baffled that anyone would want to buy the figures we've seen for the Eternals, whether its a great movie or not. 

The point I'm making is the films will likely draw some eyes to characters people don't know anything about just yet and after seeing them in the film they might like those characters enough to want a figure of them. People already familiar with the Eternals and Shang Chi know if they want them or not but the majority of MCU fans who don't read comics or know these characters won't know anything until they see the flicks.

It will just encourage me to be even more selective about which figures i buy. And there are always sales (which presumably would at least reduce the price back to $20).  But i do worry about the impact it will have on smaller retailers and e-tailers, and also whether it might even affect sales of the line at WM/Target enough for them to reconsider carrying the line, or at least how many cases they order.  Time will tell, i guess.

I wonder if McFarlane will be able to keep his price point at $20 for waves without a BAF.  For guys like me who already have a lot of the major marvel characters they want in their collection, it may be tempting to start building up DC more, especially if Todd can start diversifying more beyond "versions of Batman and weird alternate versions of characters from Batman stories". Just got Grodd and John Stewart in the mail this week and both represent a step in the right direction imo

59 minutes ago, bashpics99 said:

It will just encourage me to be even more selective about which figures i buy.

There you have it. In a way, the price increase is minutiae. 14.99, 19.99, 22.99: at the end of the day the wisest of us look at what's on the pegs and ask ourselves: "Is it worth it to ME?" That's the only criteria that really matters.

3 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

It will just encourage me to be even more selective about which figures i buy. And there are alwayI wonder if McFarlane will be able to keep his price point at $20 for waves without a BAF.  For guys like me who already have a lot of the major marvel characters they want in their collection, it may be tempting to start building up DC more, especially if Todd can start diversifying more beyond "versions of Batman and weird alternate versions of characters from Batman stories". Just got Grodd and John Stewart in the mail this week and both represent a step in the right direction imo

Don't count on it. The only time Todd doesn't seem to wanna "buck" the trend is when it's actually involving actual bucks. Speaking of trends, I do believe he's fully adopted the BAF concept and the advantages it will bring to his line. First off, he'll be able to avoid another situation like the Devastator figure which ended up being way too small due to him trying to conform to price and packaging restrictions. The Bane BAF was a step in the right direction, but it did suffer some glaring design flaws, but I do believe he will get better. This will also allow him to justify the price increase (which I'm sure he already knew was coming), and it will also allow him to revert pretty much any "larger" character to the BAF process which would allow him to do mostly "normal" sized figures in each wave and save on production costs. Of course, it will probably also boost sales a bit. If he was smart, and he is, he should diversify more within each wave and make all those weirdo alternate versions of Batman his BAF, and if Batman is as popular as he holds him up to be, the BAF would basically sell the wave.

2 hours ago, mako said:

There you have it. In a way, the price increase is minutiae. 14.99, 19.99, 22.99: at the end of the day the wisest of us look at what's on the pegs and ask ourselves: "Is it worth it to ME?" That's the only criteria that really matters.

That's the way I been buying since I was a kid

If they're going to increase the price of the figures then maybe not make so many repaints or multiples of the same characters..make the ones we've been asking for years to get made..How about more MCU and Fox figures, I can think of many MCU figures I want...The Warriors three, Justin Hammer, some Outriders, Wong and the Ancient One...just to name a few... Fox- The X-Men both versions..

A $3 increase should automatically include alternate heads, hands & depending on the character's power set, FX powers as well. Cyclops should always come with a variety of optic blast beams & none should be permanently glued or sculpted to his visor! I'm for getting rid of the BAF & just making certain characters in deluxe packages ala Thanos & War Machine. For $23, I'd prefer alternate heads, hands & accessories/ weapons FX.

1 hour ago, Gigantor said:

A $3 increase should automatically include alternate heads, hands & depending on the character's power set, FX powers as well. Cyclops should always come with a variety of optic blast beams & none should be permanently glued or sculpted to his visor! I'm for getting rid of the BAF & just making certain characters in deluxe packages ala Thanos & War Machine. For $23, I'd prefer alternate heads, hands & accessories/ weapons FX.

I'm sure the 3bucks increase isn't because they can make more things and because they can't keep affording the business as is and everything is getting more expensive. 

On the other hand, you do bring an interesting proposition. I'd be all for getting rid of BaF pieces and just get alt heads and accessories. But I'm not sure it would work business wise since the only way to get us to buy certain figures is by making them have a BaF piece from a figure we want.

1 hour ago, Typhis said:

If they're going to increase the price of the figures then maybe not make so many repaints or multiples of the same characters..make the ones we've been asking for years to get made..How about more MCU and Fox figures, I can think of many MCU figures I want...The Warriors three, Justin Hammer, some Outriders, Wong and the Ancient One...just to name a few... Fox- The X-Men both versions..

There's plenty more MCU that I want as well! Happy, Odin, Freya, Malekith, Kurse, Ultron Drone, Korath, Kraglin, Cosmo, Whiplash, Chitauri, The Shockers, AoU Hawkeye, and I can keep going!

47 minutes ago, memocromatico said:

I'm sure the 3bucks increase isn't because they can make more things and because they can't keep affording the business as is and everything is getting more expensive. 

On the other hand, you do bring an interesting proposition. I'd be all for getting rid of BaF pieces and just get alt heads and accessories. But I'm not sure it would work business wise since the only way to get us to buy certain figures is by making them have a BaF piece from a figure we want.

Yeah, while its fine to gripe about it, i think people expecting the price increase to lead to more "stuff" are going to be disappointed. as jay noted, the price increase is a consequence of increase in costs for material and transportation.  and let's be fair, the price has been $20 since i started collecting in 2014, and while $3 all at once might seem a bit steep, an increase in price (or a decrease in accessories, etc) had to be expected sooner or later. 

Also, i feel like moving away from the BAF model would be a mistake, at least if you want to keep seeing the diverse selection of characters the line currently produces.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  I'm not sure we would get as many mcu figures as we do without the comic figures in the wave to (generally) balance out tooling costs, and the BAF helps to move those comic figures.  and of course the mcu figures (along with the endless variants of A-listers like Spidey, Wolverine, Deadpool, Cap, iron Man, and Venom that we often like to complain about) are a big part of what sells the line to hasbro's *true* customers, namely Walmart and Target. 

And of course the current BAF model encourages collectors to buy more figures and allows them to recoup some of hte money they spend,  since they can sell off either figures they don't want or BAF pieces they don't want. Sure its a hassle but again it allows for greater character selection in the line. 

All just my opinions, naturally

1 hour ago, Gigantor said:

I'm for getting rid of the BAF & just making certain characters in deluxe packages ala Thanos & War Machine. For $23, I'd prefer alternate heads, hands & accessories/ weapons FX.

Yes, please!  Get rid of BAFs and replace them with more accessories, alternate heads, blast effects -- CapSam doesn't even come with fists for crying out loud. 

I think some of those less popular characters don't sell well because we don't know when or if Hasbro will finish the team.  Take Rock Python and the Serpent Society, the Serpent guys have come out over a number of years with no real sense of what the final team would look like.  I think collectors might be more likely to buy them if Hasbro would announce it all at once rather than dribbling them out over several years.  Possibility 1: make them their own wave with a relevant BAF: i.e. King Cobra, Rock Python, etc. should be their own wave with a kickass Bushmaster as the BAF (you could make him as big/long as you want like Stilt-Man)).  Possibility 2: make a box set (like Alpha Flight) of the core Serpent Society.  Then, if the box sells well, you can always add members down the line.  For bigger guys like Mr. Hyde, make him a deluxe figure with more accessories or and a smaller production run and sell him through Pulse/Fan Channel.      

I really don't like BAFs.  Splitting up Sam's wings puts a really sour taste in my mouth.  He should have been a deluxe figure with ALL the pieces in one box (including the peg for the shield to carry on his back while in flight).      

11 minutes ago, bashpics99 said:

Yeah, while its fine to gripe about it, i think people expecting the price increase to lead to more "stuff" are going to be disappointed. as jay noted, the price increase is a consequence of increase in costs for material and transportation.  and let's be fair, the price has been $20 since i started collecting in 2014, and while $3 all at once might seem a bit steep, an increase in price (or a decrease in accessories, etc) had to be expected sooner or later. 

I don't think anyone really expects "more stuff," they'd like it sure, but we all live in the real world. We know why the prices are going up. For what's its worth, the one thing I "expect" Hasbro to give me for that $3 is exactly the same thing I expected for 19.99, or any price really. Good distribution, great quality control, decent character selection. Oh, and take it easy on the HasScam. Everyone deserves an equal shot at Galactus, Sentinel, etc.

4 hours ago, burroughsd said:

Yes, please!  Get rid of BAFs and replace them with more accessories, alternate heads, blast effects -- CapSam doesn't even come with fists for crying out loud. 

I think some of those less popular characters don't sell well because we don't know when or if Hasbro will finish the team.  Take Rock Python and the Serpent Society, the Serpent guys have come out over a number of years with no real sense of what the final team would look like.  I think collectors might be more likely to buy them if Hasbro would announce it all at once rather than dribbling them out over several years.  Possibility 1: make them their own wave with a relevant BAF: i.e. King Cobra, Rock Python, etc. should be their own wave with a kickass Bushmaster as the BAF (you could make him as big/long as you want like Stilt-Man)).  Possibility 2: make a box set (like Alpha Flight) of the core Serpent Society.  Then, if the box sells well, you can always add members down the line.  For bigger guys like Mr. Hyde, make him a deluxe figure with more accessories or and a smaller production run and sell him through Pulse/Fan Channel.      

I really don't like BAFs.  Splitting up Sam's wings puts a really sour taste in my mouth.  He should have been a deluxe figure with ALL the pieces in one box (including the peg for the shield to carry on his back while in flight).      

and this why Mcfartlane got my attention recently. 4 figs with the poseability of dried wood at $25 a pop doesnt seem so bad compared to that greedy bastard Falcap! 

56 minutes ago, mako said:

Oh, and take it easy on the HasScam. Everyone deserves an equal shot at Galactus, Sentinel, etc.

Define "equal shot."  Because last time I check a heavily advertised ordering window with clearly defined start and end dates is about as "equal shot" as anything gets in the toy industry.

8 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

It will just encourage me to be even more selective about which figures i buy. And there are always sales (which presumably would at least reduce the price back to $20).  But i do worry about the impact it will have on smaller retailers and e-tailers, and also whether it might even affect sales of the line at WM/Target enough for them to reconsider carrying the line, or at least how many cases they order.  Time will tell, i guess.

I wonder if McFarlane will be able to keep his price point at $20 for waves without a BAF.  For guys like me who already have a lot of the major marvel characters they want in their collection, it may be tempting to start building up DC more, especially if Todd can start diversifying more beyond "versions of Batman and weird alternate versions of characters from Batman stories". Just got Grodd and John Stewart in the mail this week and both represent a step in the right direction imo

Why would McFarlane have a price increase??? It looks like Hasbro is the only ones doing the price hikes... I still don't get the Haslab stuff..It just seems like they are sitting around saying what can we over charge for next...Why not make the sentinel with out light up eyes and charge $150 and put it in stores so so multiples can be bought for arm building

11 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Yeah. I don't get this notion that a movie will compel you to buy a figure. I loved Marvel's movies but the only MCU figure I ever bought was Iron Man from the first Avengers movie and Black Panther. 

That's because you personally have mentioned you have a predisposition towards classic comic characters. If there wasn't an audience interested in buying movie figures, I doubt Hasbro would keep making them. Or any of the other companies producing them like Hot Toys, Bandai, Diamond Select or Mafex.

1 hour ago, watanabefan said:

That's because you personally have mentioned you have a predisposition towards classic comic characters. If there wasn't an audience interested in buying movie figures, I doubt Hasbro would keep making them. Or any of the other companies producing them like Hot Toys, Bandai, Diamond Select or Mafex.

That's true, I am predisposed towards comic versions. I'm also predisposed towards good MCU/film versions.

The Iron Man, Panther figures I mentioned were good; Jessica Jones from Netflix was also very well done. Had they ever made the Norton Hulk, I would've dropped cash on that. But the Captain Marvel MCU wave, to me, was boring, bland....a shame 'cause I loved (most of) the movie. The upcoming Eternals MCU figures are just not appealing.  I don't care for either the current Guardians of the Galaxy comics or figures, but the movie absolutely rocked. I thought that would tank hard. I paid to see it twice. Couldn't get me to pick up the figures though. So its not that I'm pro-comics, its about what appeals. "Oh my gosh those are from the movie" is just not the thing that gets my dollar. 

48 minutes ago, watanabefan said:

Toy BIz was selling like 90% comic based waves back when the only movies out were Spiderman and Blade. The comic based waves were selling out! Plz stop using the MCU as the only reason Hasbro"keeps making" them.  Funny how the "all comic" based Ursa Major wave seems to be a huge hit & people are buying up the entire wave while the same can't be said for the "all movie" based Eternals wave & heavy MCU centric Shang Chi wave. I bet the comic based AI IM is the best seller in that wave. 

17 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

Toy BIz was selling like 90% comic based waves back when the only movies out were Spiderman and Blade. The comic based waves were selling out! Plz stop using the MCU as the only reason Hasbro"keeps making" them.  Funny how the "all comic" based Ursa Major wave seems to be a huge hit & people are buying up the entire wave while the same can't be said for the "all movie" based Eternals wave & heavy MCU centric Shang Chi wave. I bet the comic based AI IM is the best seller in that wave. 

except they are the reason Hasbro keeps making it. The MCU saved Marvel Legends. there is no denying that. Marvel Legends was not being order by stores half way through the Bad Days of ML. Even when they came back, the line wasn't been order as much as they like. However, once the Iron Monger and Mandroid came out, the line began to explode. 

Also the reason the Ursa Major line is selling well is because of the familiarity with the MCU. Do you think stores care for comic figures? No, they don't. What they care about is the fact that it is Iron Man. The most popular character of the MCU. 

Even the like of MCU haters in this forum generally agree that the MCU is needed to keep the line going. I am a comic book collector. I only get a MCU figure to build the BAF or if the character has not been made in comic book form. Do I want a all comic line? Yes. Do I think it will ever happen? Never. Never again. I have accepted that this line will be mixed.