Jump to content

Hasbro Marvel Legends And Other 6" Lines Price Hike For 2021?!?


JayC
 Share

Recommended Posts

Ursa Major seems like the main reason for IM wave's success because it looks like a kickass figure whether you know the character or not, which brings us to the first point as to why BaFs are such an important factor to Marvel Legends' success and why it wouldn't be a great idea to get rid of them.

As to being compelled to buy or not a figure based on what you saw in a movie it's very subjective and relative to each movie and person. You may like the figure but hate the movie (Venom, in my case), ignore the figure but love the movie (T'Chaka in my case), or be ignorant of the characters, watch the movie and want to get them (Guardians of the Galaxy for me, although to be fair I wanted them since the trailer hit.)  So far, neither Shang-Chi nor The Eternals have given me much reason to get them, but I wouldn't put it past me to want them after watching the films. 

Thing is, these are still superhero toys for children. They may be appealing to us adult collectors, but the main market is still kids. That's probably what got me into collecting in the first place, and why I have narrowed to only movie based figures and not comic based ones, being able to get the characters I liked from the movies I watched. I remember wanting every character from the Lost World for example, and hunting for the Lord of the Rings figures. When I finally made the jump to Marvel Legends as a young adult, it was mostly X-men because of my nostalgia of the tv series and videogames.

My point is ML needs both comic and movie figures to keep catering to all of us. Whether you buy MCU to get the comic BAF or vice-versa, neither would be available without the other. Comic's wouldn't get Spymaster, we wouldn't get Mantis.

Can either survive without the other? I guess Hasbro is testing the waters with the retro lines and the MCU celebration lines, but I doubt we'll see an absolute and definitive divide.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And if they divide the line, Store may order a few comic lines but eventually they will only get movie figures. They are what's in the public eyes. They don't care about a bunch of adult collector. we make up a very small portion of the toy market. So it's better is have a combined line, that caters to all, then have only a movie line that only cater to an even smaller portion of the collecting community.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Atlantis said:

That's true, I am predisposed towards comic versions. I'm also predisposed towards good MCU/film versions.

The Iron Man, Panther figures I mentioned were good; Jessica Jones from Netflix was also very well done. Had they ever made the Norton Hulk, I would've dropped cash on that. But the Captain Marvel MCU wave, to me, was boring, bland....a shame 'cause I loved (most of) the movie. The upcoming Eternals MCU figures are just not appealing.  I don't care for either the current Guardians of the Galaxy comics or figures, but the movie absolutely rocked. I thought that would tank hard. I paid to see it twice. Couldn't get me to pick up the figures though. So its not that I'm pro-comics, its about what appeals. "Oh my gosh those are from the movie" is just not the thing that gets my dollar. 

But you don't speak for everyone, is my point. Again, there must be some sales data Hasbro is happy with since they keep pumping these out, so there definitely are people who gain an interest in the figures due to the movies. Not even counting Legends, that's pretty much the entire premise of making movie merchandise in the first place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure that outside of pure comic collectors, the vast majority of people on this forum never even heard of Groot, whom imo was nothing but a D Lister & not even an original member of the comic based GOTG. I really don't have an issue with all MCU based waves or mixed waves consisting of both MCU/comic based figs, I just collect comic based figs regardless. Just tired of people thinking that the MCU is better or the main reason for the success of the line, just remember that w/o the comics, the MCU wouldn't even exist. And this belief that little Tommy is the one buying up the MCU figs is laughable. We all know the vast majority of ML buyers are adults. No mommy's gonna be continuously buying their 10yr old $20+ figs, let alone, an entire wave.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

I'm pretty sure that outside of pure comic collectors, the vast majority of people on this forum never even heard of Groot, whom imo was nothing but a D Lister & not even an original member of the comic based GOTG.

So you mean exactly what I said, that there's a pattern of audiences developing an interest in certain formerly obscure characters after a movie. Because the argument that was being made was that the belief that movies cause people to buy things is untrue based on anecdotal evidence, when literally an entire cottage industry of movie tie-in products (not even strictly Marvel; the entire film industry as a whole) that would suggest that there is indeed some truth to the idea that movies often drive an interest in product. Nowhere in my post was the claim that movie figures are the only reason the line sells, so I'm not sure where you are getting that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, watanabefan said:

So you mean exactly what I said, that there's a pattern of audiences developing an interest in certain formerly obscure characters after a movie. Because the argument that was being made was that the belief that movies cause people to buy things is untrue based on anecdotal evidence, when literally an entire cottage industry of movie tie-in products (not even strictly Marvel; the entire film industry as a whole) that would suggest that there is indeed some truth to the idea that movies often drive an interest in product. Nowhere in my post was the claim that movie figures are the only reason the line sells, so I'm not sure where you are getting that.

It's basically a sad commentary on the current generation only finding out about certain characters due solely to movies and not via actually reading about the character. No shocker that reading levels nation wide are at all time lows and getting worse. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, watanabefan said:

....So you mean exactly what I said, that there's a pattern of audiences developing an interest in certain formerly obscure characters after a movie. Because the argument that was being made was that the belief that movies cause people to buy things is untrue based on anecdotal evidence, when literally an entire cottage industry of movie tie-in products (not even strictly Marvel; the entire film industry as a whole) that would suggest that there is indeed some truth to the idea that movies often drive an interest in product.

Not just movies, but tv & animated series, and seemingly video games now.  And while media tie-ins beyond comics may not matter to some collectors, they certainly do matter to Walmart and Target who are hasbro's main "customers". 

I do agree that the idea that lots of kids are collecting MLs is pretty laughable. Parents buy their kids toys from the more basic lines, not the $20 (soon to be $23) a pop figure line.  The only kids i know with MLs are the ones who have an adult who collects MLs involved in their lives.  But it is kind of a wink-wink-nudge game everyone plays, so that the figures are designed with safety standards for ages 4+ and are put in the kids toy section, even if 99% of purchases are made by adult collectors.  However, it works to our advantage; if MLs became part of the "collector" sections at target and WM i think they would be more expensive and i don't think these stores would order near the quantity of figures that they do - even if this year it seems like the pegs are empty more often than not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Gigantor said:

It's basically a sad commentary on the current generation only finding out about certain characters due solely to movies and not via actually reading about the character. No shocker that reading levels nation wide are at all time lows and getting worse. 

comics are like $5 a pop these days and its not like they're sold at convenience stores anymore.  unless you get an online subscription line marvel unlimited, kids get much more bang for their buck with other forms of entertainment, and that has been true for quite a while, sadly.  But i think marvel unlimited is great and a good way to get kids into reading comics.

I, for one, am glad to have lived to see the day when it was possible to really bring these characters to life on the big screens.  We've come a long way from the 70s Lou Ferrigno Hulk and Nicholas Hammond Spider-Man.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, bashpics99 said:

comics are like $5 a pop these days and its not like they're sold at convenience stores anymore.  unless you get an online subscription line marvel unlimited, kids get much more bang for their buck with other forms of entertainment, and that has been true for quite a while, sadly.  But i think marvel unlimited is great and a good way to get kids into reading comics.

I, for one, am glad to have lived to see the day when it was possible to really bring these characters to life on the big screens.  We've come a long way from the 70s Lou Ferrigno Hulk and Nicholas Hammond Spider-Man.

Oh, I quit collecting when they hit the $4  mark & the PC SJW agenda starting infesting the storylines. I was lucky to start reading comics when they were 30-35 cents. With my weekly allowance of $10 , I use to bring home a stack of comics from Forbidden planet in NYC. Now you can't get 2 comic's for $10. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, mako said:

Not really. Two or three dollars is kinda ridiculous . . . considering. I won't pretend that I'm not willing to give Hasbro my hard-earned toy-buying dollar, but I'm old school. I expect to get what I pay for. They wanna up the price, fine . . . once they show me they deserve it. I'm talking improved QC, distribution, and materials.

We all saw the Elmer Fudd cartoon when we were kids. You don't just GET more money, you provide improved goods and services for it.

 

I get where you're coming from, but this sounds like a simple case of supply and demand. I get the impression they don't want to drive away customers and have put this off as long as they could, but I believe them when they say that Covid has probably put a dent in their operations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, watanabefan said:

But you don't speak for everyone, is my point. Again, there must be some sales data Hasbro is happy with since they keep pumping these out, so there definitely are people who gain an interest in the figures due to the movies. Not even counting Legends, that's pretty much the entire premise of making movie merchandise in the first place.

There seems to be some kind of conflict going on here and it makes no sense to me. In no way did I say I spoke for everyone. I expressly said a movie/tv isnt what gets ME to buy a figure. If it moves you, fine. Guess what, BAFs aren't usually the hook for me to buy a wave either. It is for others.

Neither did I say or infer Hasbro shouldn't be making MCU figures, so they can "pump them out" as much as they want. I see absolutely no reason for there to be controversy here.

Far as sales data goes, clearly there is more $ to be made off Marvel's stable because the movies/film etc can only do so many every few years, while the rest are free to churn out the likes of the Hellfire Club set, the "vintage" line, the X-Men (majority of those waves are comic based) etc. The Legends team themselves have already said they have no plans in slowing down, nothing's off the table. That means the majority of Legends is and will continue to be comic based. There's nothing wrong with that. We get MCU, Netflix/Disney, etc....its all good.

Off the subject a bit: Disney+ , ABC SHIELD, refers to the movies now and then and Netflix made references too ( more hidden, though). Has Disney+ ever referenced any of the Netflix stuff?? Maybe like Murdock's law office on a piece of paper or the like? I've not seen it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Atlantis said:

There seems to be some kind of conflict going on here and it makes no sense to me. In no way did I say I spoke for everyone. I expressly said a movie/tv isnt what gets ME to buy a figure. If it moves you, fine. Guess what, BAFs aren't usually the hook for me to buy a wave either. It is for others.

Neither did I say or infer Hasbro shouldn't be making MCU figures, so they can "pump them out" as much as they want. I see absolutely no reason for there to be controversy here.

Far as sales data goes, clearly there is more $ to be made off Marvel's stable because the movies/film etc can only do so many every few years, while the rest are free to churn out the likes of the Hellfire Club set, the "vintage" line, the X-Men (majority of those waves are comic based) etc. The Legends team themselves have already said they have no plans in slowing down, nothing's off the table. That means the majority of Legends is and will continue to be comic based. There's nothing wrong with that. We get MCU, Netflix/Disney, etc....its all good.

Off the subject a bit: Disney+ , ABC SHIELD, refers to the movies now and then and Netflix made references too ( more hidden, though). Has Disney+ ever referenced any of the Netflix stuff?? Maybe like Murdock's law office on a piece of paper or the like? I've not seen it.

I was actually looking for some sort of reference to the Netflix shows but it was always a one way street. But the Netflix shows did find fun ways to reference the MCU. 

I worried that since Daredevil was cracking bones at least once per episode that this content would be too much for Disney + but after seeing Bucky do some breaking of his own in the Flacon / Winter Soldier series in hindsight it probably would have fit fine.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Brenttoo said:

I get where you're coming from, but this sounds like a simple case of supply and demand. I get the impression they don't want to drive away customers and have put this off as long as they could, but I believe them when they say that Covid has probably put a dent in their operations.

Without bringing Covid into it, I never said they didn't have a valid reason for upping the price, and I'm willing to pay that price. It's just that if we're willing to pay 3 bucks more, and I'm basically okay with it, the very least they could do is make sure we're getting our money's worth by doubling down on QC, and ironing the bugs out of their distribution system. You know, the stuff they should've been doing all along.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, McHogan said:

I was actually looking for some sort of reference to the Netflix shows but it was always a one way street. But the Netflix shows did find fun ways to reference the MCU. 

I worried that since Daredevil was cracking bones at least once per episode that this content would be too much for Disney + but after seeing Bucky do some breaking of his own in the Flacon / Winter Soldier series in hindsight it probably would have fit fine.

 

Right! Like I said, maybe we see an advert for Nelson & Murdock, or someone makes a reference about a surly hot boozehound he tried to hook up with in a bar, but she tore the door off his car...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had to rethink alot of my collecting habits recently and realized I went overboard over the years getting away from my limits I set for myself when I started collecting these. My main goal was just the heroes and completing the Jim Lee X-Men, Avengers, and Spiderman's classic rogue gallery. Also getting other main Heroes in the Marvel Universe. I have done most of that plus grabbing the bad guys and movie figures. I made myself cancel my Modok pre-order seeing I have limited room. I am pretty much content with my collection and just checking back to see if they give us updated figures of Banshee, Tigra and Longshot. The Johnny Storm figure in the white and blue costume looks appealing but I don't know if I am willing to shell out more cash for a third Fantastic Four team. Its really how I wanted them in the first place but I may stick with my Walgreen's team and call that it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Dodge76 said:

I had to rethink alot of my collecting habits recently and realized I went overboard over the years getting away from my limits I set for myself when I started collecting these. My main goal was just the heroes and completing the Jim Lee X-Men, Avengers, and Spiderman's classic rogue gallery. Also getting other main Heroes in the Marvel Universe. I have done most of that plus grabbing the bad guys and movie figures. I made myself cancel my Modok pre-order seeing I have limited room. I am pretty much content with my collection and just checking back to see if they give us updated figures of Banshee, Tigra and Longshot. The Johnny Storm figure in the white and blue costume looks appealing but I don't know if I am willing to shell out more cash for a third Fantastic Four team. Its really how I wanted them in the first place but I may stick with my Walgreen's team and call that it.

We've all been there, man. I'm in very limited space on an even more limited budget. When I first started collecting I stuck to just Captain America and his crew but suddenly got to buying everything. I'm not an Xmen fan yet I even was getting them just because Legends are so great. I finally slimmed down to Avengers and Avengers primary villains and I'm still a little embarrassed how much money I've spent. I'm like you and the new FF costumes are really tempting me especially since Thing is in my top 3 favorite comic characters. This hobby can be a curse sometimes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/30/2021 at 6:29 AM, Dodge76 said:

I had to rethink alot of my collecting habits recently and realized I went overboard over the years getting away from my limits I set for myself when I started collecting these. My main goal was just the heroes and completing the Jim Lee X-Men, Avengers, and Spiderman's classic rogue gallery. Also getting other main Heroes in the Marvel Universe. I have done most of that plus grabbing the bad guys and movie figures. I made myself cancel my Modok pre-order seeing I have limited room. I am pretty much content with my collection and just checking back to see if they give us updated figures of Banshee, Tigra and Longshot. The Johnny Storm figure in the white and blue costume looks appealing but I don't know if I am willing to shell out more cash for a third Fantastic Four team. Its really how I wanted them in the first place but I may stick with my Walgreen's team and call that it.

 

On 4/30/2021 at 6:38 AM, sentinelofliberty41 said:

We've all been there, man. I'm in very limited space on an even more limited budget. When I first started collecting I stuck to just Captain America and his crew but suddenly got to buying everything. I'm not an Xmen fan yet I even was getting them just because Legends are so great. I finally slimmed down to Avengers and Avengers primary villains and I'm still a little embarrassed how much money I've spent. I'm like you and the new FF costumes are really tempting me especially since Thing is in my top 3 favorite comic characters. This hobby can be a curse sometimes. 

Sounds like we all became plastic addicts lol. I started with Superman (my all time favorite comic character) and building a Jim Lee X-Men #1 display. Now I'm trying to collect/complete all the other 90s X-Men teams, X-Men villains, classic X-Men, Wolverine, Deadpool, and MCU Iron Man. Also did an Avengers MCU display with the comic versions as a mirror image. All it took was a little taste smh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When you collect both comic based & MCU figs, that becomes a problem both financially & space wise. I only collect comic based & I only collect the ML line, no other toy line except for buying a couple of Joe figs for customizing purposes. I also don't buy every single wave of comic based figs, just the ones that I am a fan of & my faves are from the 70s-80s & some of the 90s, hardly any 2000s based figs. I just need a classic Banshee, Angel & Havok & I'm done with my classic era of X-Men figs. I need for Hasbro to hopefully make 7 more classic Avengers & my classic Avengers team is done. I have the Walgreens FF but had to customize that Human Torch fig as it sucked! Have to see how the rest of the upcoming retro FF wave looks to see if they'll replace the Walgreens FF. Only need classic Spidey & Black costume Spidey. A new classic DD would be much appreciated as would a 2 pack of classic Ironfist & Powerman. More Marvel bad guys is what I'm still hoping for.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Emnems80 said:

 

Sounds like we all became plastic addicts lol. I started with Superman (my all time favorite comic character) and building a Jim Lee X-Men #1 display. Now I'm trying to collect/complete all the other 90s X-Men teams, X-Men villains, classic X-Men, Wolverine, Deadpool, and MCU Iron Man. Also did an Avengers MCU display with the comic versions as a mirror image. All it took was a little taste smh.

Oh, the addiction is real. And as much as I love Marvel, I was at least able to break it down into collecting my favorite character/team. But I'm a big GI Joe fan as well and because of all the world building and just how fun that line is, I went even more insane. I really do understand why people call it plastic crack.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, sentinelofliberty41 said:

Oh, the addiction is real. And as much as I love Marvel, I was at least able to break it down into collecting my favorite character/team. But I'm a big GI Joe fan as well and because of all the world building and just how fun that line is, I went even more insane. I really do understand why people call it plastic crack.

I loved GI Joe as a kid, almost gave in to the classified series. Glad I didn't just from the financial side. Did pick up the two snake eyes though, really tempted by the fortnite version but couldn't spend $40 on it. Legends is pretty much what I try to stick with. Outside of Superman as I mentioned earlier, Gambit is my favorite Marvel/X-Men character so I'll pick up most versions of him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Emnems80 said:

I loved GI Joe as a kid, almost gave in to the classified series. Glad I didn't just from the financial side. Did pick up the two snake eyes though, really tempted by the fortnite version but couldn't spend $40 on it. Legends is pretty much what I try to stick with. Outside of Superman as I mentioned earlier, Gambit is my favorite Marvel/X-Men character so I'll pick up most versions of him.

I haven't bought any Classified yet but I do have Flint and Lady Jaye pre ordered. I have literally over a hundred 25th and maybe half that in vintage betweenfiguresandvehicles. They're seriously the most addictive toyline I collect, lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...







Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!


Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE