BAF's and Deluxe releases

Dabboi

BAF's and Deluxe releases poll  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Should BAF's come with accessories?

• Yes; always
    • Yes; if it fits the character
    • Yes; but only if the BAF is a Deluxe release
    • No
  2. 2. Do you like the idea of a Deluxe figure?

• Yes
    • Yes; but only for the BAFs that are crazy expensive now (ex. Rhino)
    • Only for certain character like MODOK or Mojo
    • No

I think BAFs should come with appropriate accessories (for example, Sugarman’s hammer)

I’m fine with Deluxes that are either BAF rereleases, repurposed BAFs like Toxin, or even new characters like MODOK. I definitely prefer spending $30 on a deluxe over completing a BAF but I get that w/o the BAF first the deluxe would be way more expensive. 

not the hugest fan of the deluxe being a figure with ton of accessories but I certainly don’t begrudge others the option for the likes of War Machine or deluxe mcu widow 

Personally, I've never cared for the baf setup. The few I have were purchased assembled since I never buy entire waves. Since they've started I have really liked the deluxe option for bigger characters or characters with tons of accessories. That said, I do agree that bafs should have their accessories.

I said yes, if it fits, for the first question. I’m not sure I understand what the debate would be one way or the other.

I really like the idea of deluxe figures. They are expensive, but not as bad as the secondary market, if they actually go the route of re-releasing old BAFs. Is that something that may actually happen?

I would love the BAF format if there was more uniformity and consistency of the waves, like all comic book waves from a particular character or concept or era, such that I would feel compelled or encouraged to get all six or seven figures. That hasn't been my experience with Marvel Legends, however. On average, I get two or three figures per wave, resulting in me now having nearly 100 BAF pieces and 0 completed BAFs. 

So, for as long as the waves are going to include figures I want and figures I don't, the BAF concept is going to be wasted on me. I would much prefer deluxe figures available as needed, which is why I've purchased the repainted deluxe Kingpin, Monster Venom, and upcoming Thanos and M.O.D.O.K. figures. 

I love the deluxe sets their perfect for my cheap ass and honestly they are perfect opportunities for repaints or entirely new figures that are difficult to have a wave around. I also like when they use an average size figure but give it a #$## ton of accessories, because to me lack of accessories kills a figure.

BAFs should only come with accessories if it suits the character, there is no pint for example giving the Lizard a sword just for the sake of having an accessories.

For the most part, I like the Deluxe idea as long as it is for large figures like re-released BAFs or characters like the Rulk. I don't like when a Deluxe Figure is a figure suffering from Siege Shockwave Syndrome.

12 hours ago, RyanDaly said:

I would love the BAF format if there was more uniformity and consistency of the waves, like all comic book waves from a particular character or concept or era, such that I would feel compelled or encouraged to get all six or seven figures. That hasn't been my experience with Marvel Legends, however. On average, I get two or three figures per wave, resulting in me now having nearly 100 BAF pieces and 0 completed BAFs. 

So, for as long as the waves are going to include figures I want and figures I don't, the BAF concept is going to be wasted on me. I would much prefer deluxe figures available as needed, which is why I've purchased the repainted deluxe Kingpin, Monster Venom, and upcoming Thanos and M.O.D.O.K. figures. 

Yeah, uniformity in the wave would be nice. I remember Hasbro's first few waves they had X3 characters mixed in. I think the Toy-Biz waves worked with the BAFs because there were so many truly "Legendary" figures to make. It wasn't hard to swallow buying them. Plus they were cheaper. Like, you didn't mind if every wave had a Wolverine because you still needed them. If the BAF and wave were matched well with each other that would certainly excite me to buy more.

I really would like to get Sauron but I can't pull the trigger on half the figures in the wave. In fact, I have the TB Bishop and Omega Red so I don't really want anyone but Sauron. If they changed the color of his pants or something and reissued it for $30 or something, that would be pretty sweet.

The build-a-figures that I would want re-released are: 

1. Man-Thing - I like him as is, but if they wanted to do a slightly different paint job, maybe include some kind of flame effect for his burning touch, hey, I'd be cool with that.
  2. Absorbing Man - Not sure I would want much changed about this guy. I guess a subtle paint overhaul would be fine.
  3. Sandman - I don't understand why this guy had to be so big, but whatever, I would love to get him released on his own
  4. Super-Skrull - I like him, though ideally he'll get repainted with slightly brighter green and purple colors for the retro Fantastic Four look. He could also be a Walgreen's exclusive for the Cosmic set this year, since Super-Skrull was rumored to be a Walgreen's figure a couple years ago anyway.
  5. Abomination - a slightly altered paint job, but this is one where they could actually add something to appeal to collectors of new characters, too. Give Abomination an interchangeable head with the creepy finger face thing from the Immortal Hulk comic. Boom, added incentive for people to get him, because now they can have a Blonsky Abomination and a Fortean Abomination. 
  6. Sauron - Like some of the others, he's great as is so if he gets released, do the minimum amount of changes.

24 minutes ago, Chunkylover said:

I don't know how good or bad the Hasbro Onslaught BAF was, but there is pretty high demand on eBay.

Maybe they can update Holocaust as well, and he really needs an update.

The eyes on the Magneto helmet are a little far apart and should probably be white instead of blue, and it has the older ball-style hips, but otherwise, that Onslaught BAF from a few years ago is a damned good figure.

1 hour ago, Satam said:

The eyes on the Magneto helmet are a little far apart and should probably be white instead of blue, and it has the older ball-style hips, but otherwise, that Onslaught BAF from a few years ago is a damned good figure.

Yeah, I still have mine. I used it for a Red Skull robot in some of my earlier pics. Never was a big fan of the Onslaught character or story.

Totally think that if the BAF character has accessories in the comics or what not we should get them.

I also like the deluxe figures, both for getting cool bigger characters in one go, and for the potential that BAFs we may have missed out on for whatever reasons, we can actually get... like man I need that Manthing and Space Agent Venom, a Rhino would be damn good as well.

I do think BAFs should always come with accessories. Even if the character doesn't have one, there is more than likely a related character (future, or already made) that needs an extra accessory. 

I like the Deluxe figures, as well. I think that when they do repainted BAFs, they also need an extra accessory that can be used for either. I think they should get more creative with them. 

BAFs should come with accessories only if it fits the character. Looks like most people agree with that.

I do like the deluxe figures in all ways (rereleased BAFs, new BAFs, or characters with large or multiple accessories). I'm really hoping Hasbro could release a deluxe Iceman with multiple head sculpts, power effects, and an ice slide that is designed in a way where you can make multiple shapes out of the separate pieces.

BAFs should generally come with accessories that benefit them, that way the budget can be spread to accessories across the wave that benefit the characters in it, ex. effect parts, alternate heads etc.

Deluxe figures are a great idea, but it really depends on the character, some are a great choice, like Ghost Rider so that you can actually get his motorcycle.  Others, like Archangel come across as something that could have fit in the regular line.  Figures should either be things that everyone will need/want in their collection, ex. comic Thanos, or with a TON of accessories to justify, ex. War Machine, or needs a vehicle, ex. Ghost Rider/Prof X.

I don't think that all BAFs should get a rerelease as a deluxe figure, some of these recent BAF to deluxe reissues have left me wondering if it's even worth completing any BAFs anymore. If I can wait six months to a couple years and get the same thing with a little different paint for a fourth of the cost, I'd do that for sure.  Yes, there are some good examples of this working well, Kingpin allowed most people to snap up that classic look and give a body to Shadow King, Toxin probably wouldn't have held down his own wave, and as for Apocalypse, if they never get another wave out, at least those that are into AoA have him.  

On 1/13/2021 at 2:10 PM, RyanDaly said:

Super-Skrull - I like him, though ideally he'll get repainted with slightly brighter green and purple colors for the retro Fantastic Four look. He could also be a Walgreen's exclusive for the Cosmic set this year, since Super-Skrull was rumored to be a Walgreen's figure a couple years ago anyway.

I personally look for them to re-release the "Super-Skrull" as just a generic Skurll as a Pulse army builder at some point

I’d say I prefer the deluxe releases to BAF personally since I don’t typically buy the entire wave. 

I’m hoping that deluxe figures will eventually include more regular sized figures with more accessories. Like the Mafex Dr. Strange or Mafex infinity war Thor. But priced at 50 - 60 dollars rather than 90 to over a hundred