Chris Evans Set To Return To The MCU Already?!?

JayC

Deadline is reporting that Chris Evans is very close to setting a deal that would see him return as Captain America in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. This is despite a number of times the actor suggesting he was fully retired from the role.

If or when he returns, don't expect another Captain America solo movie, but look for him to return in the capacity of a supporting character in other MCU films.

Two possible options for using Steve as a young Captain America again.

1. Ant-Man and the Wasp: QuantuMania - The next Ant-Man movie is going to introduce Kang the Conquerer and could involve more time shenanigans. They could do something fun like create a mini Avengers team of time-displaced heroes, sort of like a stealth Avengers Forever movie, including Evans as an earlier version of Captain America.

2. The Invaders - Return to the World War II setting for an untold tale of Captain America and Bucky during the war, introducing Namor the Sub-Mariner and the original Jim Hammond Human Torch.

I'm sure if he does in fact return they will find some way to make him young again, more then likely involving an alt reality young steve or what not.

not sure why we couldn't just close the book on Steve his story ended, I thought we were all okay with that, the more and more I hear about what is planned for the future of MCU with all of this alternate reality and dimensions and multiple versions of characters, I'm getting quite scared about how wonky and silly it all could become.

I always had it in my head that he would make some sort of appearance in Falcon and Winter Soldier, even for just a cameo.  To me, this now gives them the opportunity to do something with him being involved with Shield in the past. 

2 hours ago, leokearon said:

Hard to see what would be the point. Steve's story is done, unless they want adventures of Old Man Steve

Not necessarily mon ami, If they went the route of Endgame and what Cap did when he went back to the 40's to find Peggy Carter and live out his life. I'm sure if a knuckle head like me could dream up all kind of adventures he could have had throughout those years, then the Brainiac's at Marvel could certainly come up with some fantastic tales. Not to mention introduce more Marvel characters into the MCU.

I know everyone probably wants him back as regular Cap, and I'd like that too, especially maybe a movie or show set between Civil War and Infinity War with him as Nomad teaming up with Falcon and Widow. I think it would be cool as well, maybe in a future Loki season, to introduce him back as Hydra after 2023 Steve said it in 2012. Maybe how that line affects the 2012 Steve or something like that, particularly when he gets to 2014 with the whole Hydra reveal.

12 hours ago, silverback said:

Not necessarily mon ami, If they went the route of Endgame and what Cap did when he went back to the 40's to find Peggy Carter and live out his life. I'm sure if a knuckle head like me could dream up all kind of adventures he could have had throughout those years, then the Brainiac's at Marvel could certainly come up with some fantastic tales. Not to mention introduce more Marvel characters into the MCU.

true, but Cap had a nice send off in Endgame, it seems almost pointless to bring him back.

56 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

Cap's story arc as well as Ironman's have ended, enough already with rehashing #$##. Deep down, Marvel has doubts that their much lesser known characters will have the clout that the big 3 had.  Is there even a trailer for Shang Chi which comes out this summer? 

Well they still have the FF and X-Men, hopefully they are working overtime to get projects with those teams off the ground. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2021 at 8:55 AM, leokearon said:

Hard to see what would be the point. Steve's story is done, unless they want adventures of Old Man Steve

I agree. They pretty much closed him out. While I would love to see him stay, they themselves ended his story and if they brought it back it would just be hollow and contrived.

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2021 at 4:16 AM, Gigantor said:

Cap's story arc as well as Ironman's have ended, enough already with rehashing #$##. Deep down, Marvel has doubts that their much lesser known characters will have the clout that the big 3 had.  Is there even a trailer for Shang Chi which comes out this summer? 

I would love to see Cap return to reclaim the shield by the end of the Falcon's show, but at the same time think keeping him around cheapens the farewell the MCU had for him. Let's face it, they closed him out well, but maybe too early.

Captain America's ending in the MCU was actual nonsense. They went to great lengths to show us in Endgame that going back in time using Pym particles was actually creating branching timelines in adjacent universes. Thor stole Mjolnir before it was destroyed, Loki escaped with the tesseract, Tilda Swinton lectured Hulk about dooming her world to save his, etc. Then Rogers goes back in time using the same technology, but somehow grows old naturally in the past of the prime MCU? What am I missing? He should have been growing old in some adjacent universe until he decided to rematerialize on that platform, which he never did.