Ethan Hawke Set To Play Moon Knight Bad Guy For Upcoming Disney+ Series

JayC

According to THR, actor Ethan Hawke has closed a deal with Marvel to play a villain in the upcoming Moon Knight live-action series coming to Disney+.

Oscar Isaac is playing the lead role in this one and Hawke is said to be the lead villain, though which character he will actually play is not yet known. Bushman is probably considered Moon Knight's greatest enemy in the comics but we will have to wait and see if that is who Hawke ends up playing for the show.

Ethan-Hawke.jpg

They need to tread very carefully with this project, so that it doesnt wind up either a Netflix Daredevil clone, nor a disaster like Iron Fist. There are a lot of ways to go wrong with Moon Knight. They don't want him to come off like Marvel's answer to the Batman,  but also don't need to make him into some drooling spastic who's straightjacketed in this scene but then strategically targeting and taking out badguys in that scene. Also with it being Disney, how far can they go (violence wise). Then again Mandalorian's  doing pretty damn well.....Fingers crossed.

I really don't want him to be Bushman, I don't think that would work, but I do think he'd be a good Morpheus or maybe Carson Knowles (aka Black Spectre) . I always thought a Adewale  Agbaje would make a good Bushman. I also saw someone suggest Omar Sly as Bushman.. I thought that was good. I highly doubt they'd take a black character and make him white in this day and age. I bet he's Morpheus or Carson, maybe Ryan Trent.

I was not at all familiar with the Bushman character. Almost thought it was Bushmaster from the Luke Cage Netflix episodes. But I looked him up and can see why some resist the change in look. They would have to pretty much change the background of the character using Ethan Hawk. Unless they make him like a Ulysses Klaw type character familiar with black market crime syndicate. No pun intended.

Yeah, I doubt he's playing Bushman. I'm not terribly familiar with Moon Knight's villains, but I know he's fought Count Nefaria in the past and Hawke definitely seems like he'd fit that role better. I know Nefaria is mostly an Avengers villain, but maybe they could introduce him as a crime boss in the Moon Knight show and eventually when he gains his powers, he could be the villain of Avengers 5 or 6. Just a thought.

15 minutes ago, Ironspider428 said:

Yeah, I doubt he's playing Bushman. I'm not terribly familiar with Moon Knight's villains, but I know he's fought Count Nefaria in the past and Hawke definitely seems like he'd fit that role better. I know Nefaria is mostly an Avengers villain, but maybe they could introduce him as a crime boss in the Moon Knight show and eventually when he gains his powers, he could be the villain of Avengers 5 or 6. Just a thought.

If im not mistaken, I think Nefaria was already in the Agent Carter series.

46 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

To my knowledge, MK has never fought Count Nefaria , that conflict would last all of 5 seconds.

He did indeed fight Count Nefaria when Nefaria was the Kingpin of L.A. , it was during that Bendis period in 2011 -12 or so, I don't remember exactly, it was when he had those alter egos of Spider-Man, Wolverine and Cap

13 hours ago, Atlantis said:

They need to tread very carefully with this project, so that it doesnt wind up either a Netflix Daredevil clone, nor a disaster like Iron Fist. There are a lot of ways to go wrong with Moon Knight. They don't want him to come off as Marvel's feeble copy of the Batman,  but also don't need to make him into some drooling spastic who's straightjacketed in this scene, but then strategically targeting and taking out badguys in that scene. Also with it being Disney, how far can they go (violence wise). Then again Mandalorian's  doing pretty damn well.....Fingers crossed.

Now that everyone's said Nefaria, I can't unsee it.  I truly hope they're not pulling from that god awful Bendis run for this series.  If they are Moon Knight is doomed, that series was such a radical departure and practically tore away everything great about the character.  

I'm hoping Hawke will be taking on the role of Midnight Man, he could even be playing Morpheus and with enough makeup and CGI that'd work.  I admittedly haven't seen enough of Hawke's work to know if he'd fit well as Black Spectre, but honestly if it isn't Bushman as the main antagonist then it needs to be Black Spectre, seeing as how he's every bit the arch nemesis that Bushman is, the Huston/Benson run proved that.

11 hours ago, Gigantor said:

Non powered version I assume.

Definitely had his powers for some of the series, it was an awful series with a lot of plot induced stupidity from Bendis, but Nefaria trounced Marc in most encounters if I remember correctly, I've been trying to forget the series ever since.  When Marc won, it was through some degree of tactics and trickery.  

11 hours ago, greenlucario said:

Definitely had his powers for some of the series, it was an awful series with a lot of plot induced stupidity from Bendis, but Nefaria trounced Marc in most encounters if I remember correctly, I've been trying to forget the series ever since.  When Marc won, it was through some degree of tactics and trickery.  

I have zero confidence that this series will be any good. MK has never had a good rogues gallery of villains imo & his own origins have suffered numerous revamps. Last I heard, he was powered up to even beat Thor. No thanks, I'll stick to his 70s version or even the version that fought & beat Taskmaster a few yrs back. MK is a street level hero, nothing more, nothing less. 

12 hours ago, Gigantor said:

I have zero confidence that this series will be any good. MK has never had a good rogues gallery of villains imo & his own origins have suffered numerous revamps. Last I heard, he was powered up to even beat Thor. No thanks, I'll stick to his 70s version or even the version that fought & beat Taskmaster a few yrs back. MK is a street level hero, nothing more, nothing less. 

Yeah that whole Thor thing was really, really bad.  I love the character personally, so I'm really hoping that we get something that is fairly faithful to the 70s/80s Moench/Seinkeweicz material, the Huston/Benson material from the 00s, or even the 90s stuff.  But I agree that Moon Knight should be firmly rooted as a street level hero, with a touch sometimes of supernatural.

I am cautiously optimistic about a MK show. 

1. Oscar Isaac and Ethan Hawke are both great actors.  (not really familiar with other cast members)
  2.  they can play up the whole "is Khonshu real or is MK delusional" aspect (hopefully they keep it ambiguous for the whole series and let the viewers argue about it.  its not very exciting if we the viewer know Khonshu is real but the characters are constantly debating about it - see for instance the Iron Fist ep where he is institutionalized)
  3. powerset doesn't really require CGI, just need a great fight choreographer. also MK is generally masked while fighting so easy to get a good stunt double in there
  4. MK's relative obscurity works in his favor (like GotG or Antman) - people have relatively few preconceived notions about the character other than "skilled with hand-to-hand and weapons" and "(probably) crazy in some way"

Of course they could blow it but i expect something similar to DD but closer to PG-13 and (hopefully) better pacing/tighter plotting