Underrated Build-a-Figures

Hogun

What are some of the most underrated Build-a-figures or figures you forgot were Build-a-figures? My favorite underrated Build-a-figure is Warlock. Highly detailed sculpt and paint wash. Hasbro really shelled out on that sculpt. I would also put Caliban on the list if I didn't ask myself who asked for a Caliban Build-a-Figure? A build-a-figure that I forgot was a build-a-figure is M'Baku. He's a regular size BAF. He would have been underrated if it were not for the stupid skirt piece which hinders his leg articulation.

I love Caliban, he's on my top list of BAF's, he just looks so menacing and bad ass.

some BAFs I really like that I'd surely say are not well enjoyed mostly are

Ultimate Green Goblin - not sure why this guy gets so much hate
Titus - such a left field character choice, how can someone not apperciate a big White tiger dude with a cannon arm?
SP//DR - seems nobody cares about this BAF, it looks crazy good, and so different from the other figures on a shelf.
Wendigo - one of my favorite BAFs in recent times, I really wanted this BAF to be a reality, and it turned out nice.
MCU Molten Man - I hated this BAF until I put him together, and now he just stands out so well on the shelf, so unique.

1 hour ago, Atlantis said:

I loved the Mandroid BAF. Yeah it was from like 8 years ago and likely forgotten, but I thought it was great. 

I haven't forgotten the Mandroid. That was the only baf I ever completed by buying the figures. I sold it and have regretted it ever since. Great figure. 

18 hours ago, sentinelofliberty41 said:

I haven't forgotten the Mandroid. That was the only baf I ever completed by buying the figures. I sold it and have regretted it ever since. Great figure. 

I still have that one, but never collected the head for it. I used a red skull head for some of my pics on it I think.

18 hours ago, Emnems80 said:

Love Caliban too. Sauron is awesome and Strong Guy didn't disappoint. Didn't realize how under appreciated Kingpin was until the Shadow King head came out.

I like the Caliban figure too, The KIngpin was a must have for me, and speaking of Shadow KIng I have yet to take some pics using the head on KIngpin. I wonder if the hands from Caliban will fit on the Kingpin body?

On 1/21/2021 at 7:22 PM, sentinelofliberty41 said:

If they re-released him in an updated gold color and some other feature slightly different from the original, I'd sure be on that.

On 1/22/2021 at 8:49 AM, Lord_Scareglow said:

I love Caliban, he's on my top list of BAF's, he just looks so menacing and bad ass.

some BAFs I really like that I'd surely say are not well enjoyed mostly are

Ultimate Green Goblin - not sure why this guy gets so much hate
Titus - such a left field character choice, how can someone not apperciate a big White tiger dude with a cannon arm?
SP//DR - seems nobody cares about this BAF, it looks crazy good, and so different from the other figures on a shelf.
Wendigo - one of my favorite BAFs in recent times, I really wanted this BAF to be a reality, and it turned out nice.
MCU Molten Man - I hated this BAF until I put him together, and now he just stands out so well on the shelf, so unique.

I agree with this list, especially Molten Man..it does look great.

3 hours ago, Atlantis said:

If they re-released him in an updated gold color and some other feature slightly different from the original, I'd sure be on that.

Re-releasing it with some paint apps would take that figure from a 7 to a 10. Id love to see it as a deluxe with some of the new war machine accessories. 

A few that come to mind are:

-Iron Monger

-Warlock

-Wendigo (although controversial, there's just something about it that stands out for me).

-Demogoblin (I don't seem to hear enough about him and even though he's a small BAF he's excellent).

53 minutes ago, greenlucario said:

A few that come to mind are:

-Iron Monger

-Warlock

-Wendigo (although controversial, there's just something about it that stands out for me).

-Demogoblin (I don't seem to hear enough about him and even though he's a small BAF he's excellent).

Demogoblin is a fantastic figure but should never have been a BAF

1 hour ago, leokearon said:

I've heard this before; the same was said about M'Baku, Jubilee, Hit Monkey, Mantis, etc. basically because all of these were more or less around the standard 6" size when assembled. I get that people have come to expect the BAFs to be larger than the other figures- I prefer that too- but I then have to remind myself, its called Build A Figure, not Build A Bigger Figure. I get less irritated that way! 🙂

48 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

I've heard this before; the same was said about M'Baku, Jubilee, Hit Monkey, Mantis, etc. basically because all of these were more or less around the standard 6" size when assembled. I get that people have come to expect the BAFs to be larger than the other figures- I prefer that too- but I then have to remind myself, its called Build A Figure, not Build A Bigger Figure. I get less irritated that way! 🙂

True but it doesn't help that Hasbro shot themselves in the foot with the Mantis/Death's Head 2 BAF reason

On 1/22/2021 at 3:19 PM, silverback said:

I like the Caliban figure too, The KIngpin was a must have for me, and speaking of Shadow KIng I have yet to take some pics using the head on KIngpin. I wonder if the hands from Caliban will fit on the Kingpin body?

Didn't even think about using the Caliban hands, everyone always used the Monster Venom hands. I'd try it out but sadly most of my figures are packed up, planning on moving this year. Definitely will try it after the move and I bust all my figures back out on display.

23 hours ago, Emnems80 said:

Didn't even think about using the Caliban hands, everyone always used the Monster Venom hands. I'd try it out but sadly most of my figures are packed up, planning on moving this year. Definitely will try it after the move and I bust all my figures back out on display.

I tried it out and yes, they did fit and well. So now it's goodbye Kingpin and hello Shadow king. But only temporarily, that mug on the Shadow king is ferocious.

On 1/24/2021 at 12:26 PM, leokearon said:

No denying that, but it seems like that fact definitely overshadows him more than it should.

The Molten Man BAF was a slightly odd choice, and a weird size to display with the 6" figures, but it IS a great-looking, well-done figure. 

I agree about the smaller BAFs- some of them are great, but are underrated because people are used to getting a bigger figure. It does feel like less of a value, unless there's a lot of new tooling, but that doesn't make them bad figures. Demogoblin is great; M'Baku is probably my favorite "regular sized" BAF. It's a perfect representation of MCU M'Baku, and there is enough new tooling that I think it is totally justified to make him a BAF. Okoye is also great, for that matter, even though she's a regular-sized figure with some reused tooling. On the flipside of that, there are occasionally regular figures that I wish were BAFs, so that Hasbro would have invested more in executing them properly. Hydro-Man, six-armed Spidey, and Doppelganger would all have been better off as BAFs, instead of the lacking interchangeable parts (Hydro-Man) or small-ness (the other two).

6 hours ago, silverback said:

I tried it out and yes, they did fit and well. So now it's goodbye Kingpin and hello Shadow king. But only temporarily, that mug on the Shadow king is ferocious.

Good to know. Will probably buy an extra set of Caliban hands in the future, especially since it will be cheaper than buying the Monster Venom hands.

8 hours ago, greenlucario said:

No denying that, but it seems like that fact definitely overshadows him more than it should.

For me, it is the fact he could have easily been a standard release that I can't shake especially as it was a figure I wanted for ages and he is just a retool