Repaints/retools that are worse than the originals

Hogun

Which figures are worse than the originals. It can be because of paint apps, accessories or even different body parts. For the sake of this article, the figure has to be a representation of the same character from the same universe. So, the Age of Apocalypse Apocalypse will not be on this article because that version of Apocalypse had a different powerset compared to his mainstream counterpart. Also, no different characters using the same mold. It has to be the same character with the same base body. I can think of a few. The Jim Lee Cyclops from the love triangle three-pack. What makes Hasbro think they can slap a jacket on a figure and call it comic accurate? I've seen one panel where Cyclops was wearing his 90s outfit with that jacket. Those arms really hinder the articulation and makes an otherwise perfect figure look bad. I also do not like the repainted Thing figure. The was looks out of the place and the head makes him look duck-billed. I wish Hasbro gave him an open hand instead of two fists. That's so boring for an action figure. Same reason why I never bought the Venom figure from the Monster Venom wave. I do not like the lighter colors on any of the retro wave figures and the Mr. Fantastic with salad fingers is so bland. Stretch arms were better.

In general I like the modern FF, the costumes are different enough that I don't mind them, but that light paint on Thing is atrocious.  Personally I love the sculpt, but the fact that you can't put it on the Walgreens Thing without it looking horribly out of place was such a let down.  

I'd also include both Wolverine and Cyclops from the Love Triangle 3 pack, the super bright yellow doesn't work for me, I like the darker yellow of the original releases much better.  

Personally the wave release Thing also comes to mind, that paint job is no good to me, looks like he's a lump of hot cheetos or something, I also gotta say the BP wave Black Bolt with it's blueish paint, the Thanos Imperative figure's paint job is far greater to me being that it's actually black. I can't think of any other re-paints that really stand out as worse IMO at least off the top of my head, other than the fact I think that we personally really didn't need a black retro storm at all it seemed necessary, but it's not worse just didn't seem needed. 

I'm not entirely sure if this counts but the original 2 pack of Spider-Gwen and Miles Morales. Given that it's supposed to be figures from Into the Spiderverse, yet the figures look absolutely nothing like their film counterparts and are just repaints of older figures.

I like the Allfather wave Scarlet Witch better than the 3-pack one- the original head sculpt is superior.

11 hours ago, leokearon said:

Obvious mention for the Silver Centurion and its Dumbbell neck joint

It's still superior to the Toy Biz one, though- the arms of that one are awkward-looking, and it seems less in-scale.

The MCU Giant Man is one for me. The original BAF is my preferred version even if the Deluxe version is technically screen accurate.

another that comes to mind is the original Mysterio being the better in my opinion than the recent retro version. 

the old 3 3/4 Marvel Universe had more examples of repaints as it seemed they opted to shove as many variants of Cap, Spidey, Thor, Wolverine.. you know the usual suspects .. down our throats as they could. Great line though, really miss the ability to be a completist as today’s prices makes me be a little more selective.

21 hours ago, Dabboi said:

I'm not entirely sure if this counts but the original 2 pack of Spider-Gwen and Miles Morales. Given that it's supposed to be figures from Into the Spiderverse, yet the figures look absolutely nothing like their film counterparts and are just repaints of older figures.

They're also worse repaints of the older figures.

12 hours ago, The Mad Bubbler said:

I like the Allfather wave Scarlet Witch better than the 3-pack one- the original head sculpt is superior.

It's still superior to the Toy Biz one, though- the arms of that one are awkward-looking, and it seems less in-scale.

I this the head sculpt is better on the new one, but at least the Allfather one has the right colours.

It maybe better than the Toy Biz one but it's weaker hand the 80th Anniversary Iron Man that it is based off

On 1/27/2021 at 2:30 PM, The Mad Bubbler said:

I like the TB silver centurion. The arms are a little weird I suppose. I don't think it's terrible. 

15 hours ago, Atlantis said:

The arms make it looks like a damn gibbon. At least they used a metallic looking paint, though.

Meh. He has that big rocket, and his hands fit in the handles for it, while still being posable for a repulsor ray blast. I'm just saying I'm happy with him and feel no need to replace him.

If you want to talk about someone with too-long arms, the Toy-biz Juggernaut is waiting for you in his office....