Deadpool's Year-Long Anniversary Celebration Continues With More Rob Liefeld Covers

JayC

Announced last month, Deadpool’s 30th anniversary will be celebrated all year long with an incredible series of variant covers all drawn by Deadpool co-creator and legendary artist Rob Liefeld. Liefeld will bring Deadpool to life on 30 different covers that will be released on some of your favorite ongoing series throughout 2021, and today, Marvel Comics is proud to present the next set of covers in this amazing collection. Getting the star treatment he deserves, the Merc with the Mouth will be teaming up with heroes from all across the Marvel Universe such as Captain America, Iron Man, the Guardians of the Galaxy, and more.

“When the opportunity to illustrate 30 variant covers commemorating Deadpool’s 30th anniversary came up, I literally jumped at the chance! I went over a quick checklist with the Marvel brass and I think we’ve picked a great array of Marvel’s biggest and brightest stars to pair with the Mighty Merc on over 30 unique covers!” Liefeld said. “It’s giving me a chance to draw Deadpool with Marvel stars I’ve never drawn before, like Miles Morales and Silver Surfer! This is going to be grand, I hope the fans enjoy this special event. It’s a blast putting it all together!

Three decades ago, Deadpool first appeared in the legendary NEW MUTANTS #98 by Rob Liefeld and Fabian Nicieza, and the comic book world has never been the same! Be sure to celebrate Deadpool’s big year with these extraordinary covers when they begin debuting in March!

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #13 LIEFELD DEADPOOL 30TH VARIANT (FEB210541)
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #15 LIEFELD DEADPOOL 30TH VARIANT
FANTASTIC FOUR #33 LIEFELD DEADPOOL 30TH VARIANT
CAPTAIN AMERICA LIEFELD DEADPOOL 30TH VARIANT TBA
IRON MAN LIEFELD DEADPOOL 30TH VARIANT TBA

FF2018033_Liefeld_Deadpool30Cover.jpg

GARGAL2020013__Deadpool30Cover.jpg

GARGAL2020015_Liefeld_Deadpool30Cover.jpg

Liefeld_Deadpool30Cover_CaptainAmerica.jpg

Liefeld_Deadpool30Cover_IronMan.jpg

Rob Liefeild should have never gotten out of the 90's with his weird eye squinching art, I liked it as a kid because I felt I didn't know any better and he would draw big huge epic characters with super exaggerated everything, and the panels were all so fleshed out with way too much going on and I thought it was super coolio. Now when I see his art I always cringe a bit, his proportions are just unnerving when you really take them into consideration, DP's head is so tiny here along with countless other nit picky things I just find unappealing to the eyes. I don't know why I just feel like this guy still draws like hes a fan of comics who works at dunkin donuts, rather then being what he actually is a world famous comic artist. He really struck gold by accident, he was right place right time, we all know there are countless better artists who deserve to have his fame.

1 hour ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

"Rob Liefeild should have never gotten out of the 90's with his weird eye squinching art....He really struck gold by accident, he was right place right time, we all know there are countless better artists who deserve to have his fame...."

"Legendary artist"? Now that's a rather charitable description.

Keith Pollard, Keiron Dwyer, just to name a few....none of these guys blew up like Liefield did, and it always baffled me. Scareglow hit it on the head.

Think of all the aspiring artists who submitted their work to Marvel, only to be turned down because it wasn't quite up to their standard...then they hire this guy....

Yeah Liefeld.. he owes his career to the happy accident of McFarlane and Lee becoming such dynamic artists that people looked past his glaring shortcomings as an artist. With the benefit of knowing what a world class A-hole his social media comments have proven him to be, not sure how this joker keeps getting work..

agree with all the above comments. Odd proportions, weird weapons,.. among so many other little things that catch your eye not in a good way. 

His run on Avengers and Cap, the only books I collected at the time were an all time low. 

Only good news is, he is always one tweet away from his current employers distancing themselves from him again.

58 minutes ago, McHogan said:

Only good news is, he is always one tweet away from his current employers distancing themselves from him again.

Yet, they always call him back, even though the man has done everything imaginable to give the industry a bad name. It's like if in 2024 Pelosi called Trump and said "Hey, you wanna be President again?"

Also, that GOTG cover? Has Liefeld never seen a picture of a Raccoon? He looks like the Wookie kid from the Star Wars Christmas Special.

1 hour ago, mako said:

Yet, they always call him back, even though the man has done everything imaginable to give the industry a bad name. It's like if in 2024 Pelosi called Trump and said "Hey, you wanna be President again?"

Also, that GOTG cover? Has Liefeld never seen a picture of a Raccoon? He looks like the Wookie kid from the Star Wars Christmas Special.

Oh, he's definitely never seen a raccoon. #$%@er gave Rocket four fingers and three toes.

Most of these are surprisingly fine, but what is going on with that Captain America cover? The weird, short blade; the fact that Captain America is more than a head taller than Deadpool (aren't they both 6'2"?); their legs cutting off at the knee, even though the background continues; the awkward stances; etc. It's like Liefield-inspired fan art it's so bad.

2 hours ago, Benn said:

the fact that Captain America is more than a head taller than Deadpool (aren't they both 6'2"?); their legs cutting off at the knee, even though the background continues; 

Bruh thats hilarious, makes that cover look like it was drawn by an amateur💀

Liefeld is one of the few artists that managed to sell 5 million copies of his comics, and it was partially if not mainly because of his art, which people liked for some reason, I guess reason being absolute unorthodoxy of his style. So he is indeed legendary, his art is even worse today than it was in 90s but his name is still marketable to some degree, and if something sells more comics publishers will do it, especially in comics market that is in dire straits.

11 hours ago, SUPREME007 said:

Bruh thats hilarious, makes that cover look like it was drawn by an amateur💀

Hey, give the kid some credit. He's gotten way better at using shading and texture line to cover up his total lack of anatomical knowledge. If he don't know what it looks like he just covers it up. Scratch that thought. If that was the case the entire damn cover would be one big black box.

Liefeld is simply using the fact that he was ONE  of the people who created Deadpool to make himself bigger then he is. He literally spend one solo series drawing the character before is was forcefully taken off of him. Hell, to Liefeld the character was just a broading funny wolverine. It wasn't until it was taken off of him that he became the Merc with a mouth we all know and love.

14 hours ago, sentinelofliberty41 said:

Why, in the name of God, is Rob Liefeld still getting work? 

The only conclusion I can come to is the old Ad man's mantra: "It doesn't matter if they love it or hate it, as long as they remember it."

The mere fact that we're all still discussing Liefeld after 30 years gives a kind of sick credence to Marvel, or anyone else, still hiring him today.

30 minutes ago, mako said:

The only conclusion I can come to is the old Ad man's mantra: "It doesn't matter if they love it or hate it, as long as they remember it."

The mere fact that we're all still discussing Liefeld after 30 years gives a kind of sick credence to Marvel, or anyone else, still hiring him today.

Nostalgia is a very powerful marketing tool

On 1/28/2021 at 12:44 PM, mako said:

You have a point there. His ugly, malformed art definitely sticks with you. 

On 1/28/2021 at 9:19 AM, monron999 said:

Well, at least he's now been relegated to mostly cover art (probably self imposed), and we only really have to look at one page. Unfortunately it's the first one we see.

I'm definitely going to try and stay away from these covers, lol.