New Regular Retail 3.75" Marvel Retro Figures From Hasbro

JayC

Last year you may recall Hasbro released as Pulse exclusives some Retro 3.75" Marvel Legends that were based on the concept of "What If" Kenner had done Marvel figures back in the day. The figures themselves have around 5 points of articulation and they come on Retro like cardbacks.

Well now Hasbro is releasing more as single carded figures at regular retail. Well they will start off at Target stores in March and then see a more general release in April. Each figure costs $9.99.

The figures shown below include Hulk, Human Torch, Captain Marvel, Spider-Man, Captain America and Magento.

Retro-Wave-13.jpg

Retro-Wave-12.jpg

Retro-Wave-11.jpg

Retro-Wave-10.jpg

Retro-Wave-09.jpg

Retro-Wave-08.jpg

Retro-Wave-07.jpg

Retro-Wave-06.jpg

Retro-Wave-05.jpg

Retro-Wave-04.jpg

Retro-Wave-03.jpg

Retro-Wave-02.jpg

Retro-Wave-01.jpg

Captain-America-01.jpg

Captain-America-02.jpg

Just makes me grateful I have the 6" Ms. Marvel figure with the original Cockrum designed outfit.

Maybe, MAYBE, if these things had the articulation of the original Marvel Universe 3.75" or even the Kenner Super Powers figures (most of them at least had knee joints)  I could see people being interested. I do like the vibrant colors though. Too often Legends go for overly dark tones (lookin at YOU, 80th anniversary Thor's cape) and its nice to see the costumes as theyre supposed to be shown.

I don't plan on collecting these, I do understand the appeal, however they look fun and the whole aesthetic of the bright classic looks and colors on the cool cardbacks, it's cool, not for me though, but I do really like that Ms. Marvel, it looks great I was worried what a female character in this line was going to look like and they didn't make me feel like I stepped into a really rickity time machine and go back to 91', good work Hasbro.

Wait wasn't Ms. Marvel and torch already have been spotted on Chinese seller ebay store? I literally saw them like 8 days ago on ebay.  I guess I would get Carol,  mainly due to box art, figure is rather too simplistic, however, I would love to see new Marvel legends Warbird/Ms. Marvel figure with whited out eye mask. 

1212998516_ScreenShot2021-01-18at9_12_29PM.thumb.png.9534aade23ed8f1e111227921d1d7b44.png

5 hours ago, leokearon said:

Still don't see the point. There is no Nostalgia to leverage off. Fun for people who enjoy them but it also makes no sense for Hasbro to do there own Reaction line when they are letting Super7 do Reaction lines best on their properties.

I think you answered your own question. If I had to guess Hasbro just wanted to get in on that market after seeing the success Super7 has had. 

On 1/30/2021 at 12:10 PM, leokearon said:

and yet Hasbro have given their own brands to Super 7

Hasbro hasn't given anything, they sold the rights for Super7 to do certain stuff which is money in Hasbro's pocket. Hasbro doesnt own Marvel, they pay Disney to be allowed to make Marvel product. Super7 would have to be able to get the rights from Disney to do ReAction Marvel figures.

The why for all these "Retro" figures is easy. They are cheap to make and due to nostalgia Hasbro hopes people will buy them.  Marvel is a little different beast however because so many Marvel collectors demand articulation in their figures thanks to Marvel Legends. It remains to be seen how well these will actually sell. The ones on Pulse never once sold out so I suspect Hasbro will have an uphill battle for these and also the fact that they aren't actually based on a real old toyline probably doesn't help because it does diminish the nostalgia factor some. My guess if Hasbro could have replicated the actual old Mattel Secret Wars figures they would be a bit more popular.

The biggest saving grace with these particular figures, they are cheaper than ReAction figures at only $10 each. Also if you want something cheap and Marvel related for your kids to play with these have some appeal there as well.

19 minutes ago, JayC said:

Hasbro hasn't given anything, they sold the rights for Super7 to do certain stuff which is money in Hasbro's pocket. Hasbro doesnt own Marvel, they pay Disney to be allowed to make Marvel product. Super7 would have to be able to get the rights from Disney to do ReAction Marvel figures.

The why for all these "Retro" figures is easy. They are cheap to make and due to nostalgia Hasbro hopes people will buy them.  Marvel is a little different beast however because so many Marvel collectors demand articulation in their figures thanks to Marvel Legends. It remains to be seen how well these will actually sell. The ones on Pulse never once sold out so I suspect Hasbro will have an uphill battle for these and also the fact that they aren't actually based on a real old toyline probably doesn't help because it does diminish the nostalgia factor some. My guess if Hasbro could have replicated the actual old Mattel Secret Wars figures they would be a bit more popular.

The biggest saving grace with these particular figures, they are cheaper than ReAction figures at only $10 each. Also if you want something cheap and Marvel related for your kids to play with these have some appeal there as well.

It still doesn't make sense. Hasbro are making Transformers  action figures and then they give Super 7 the rights to make Transformers  Action Figures which upstage them. Yes it will still be money in Hasbro's pocket but it still looks bad.

I think the main reason that these "Retro" figures aren't doing as well as they probably  should is due to the fact there's no nostalgia to play off. There never was a 3.75 inch Marvel line back in the 70's-90's so there is no memories to attach to. If they based they on actual toylines then the would have a hit.

20 minutes ago, leokearon said:

I think the main reason that these "Retro" figures aren't doing as well as they probably  should is due to the fact there's no nostalgia to play off. There never was a 3.75 inch Marvel line back in the 70's-90's so there is no memories to attach to. If they based they on actual toylines then the would have a hit.

You would think that they would have tried something in the vein of Secret Wars or the 90s Toybiz figures. I get that Legends do the retro waves but those are just cardbacks with modern figures. Why not mold these similarly to the old figures and fill in the ranks with characters that never got made and slap them on the retro cardbacks? That would have been a fun series of figures.

17 minutes ago, sentinelofliberty41 said:

You would think that they would have tried something in the vein of Secret Wars or the 90s Toybiz figures. I get that Legends do the retro waves but those are just cardbacks with modern figures. Why not mold these similarly to the old figures and fill in the ranks with characters that never got made and slap them on the retro cardbacks? That would have been a fun series of figures.

Yeah  a continuation of some of the classic lines would be awesome 

On 2/1/2021 at 2:50 PM, JayC said:

Cap and Spider-Man are also part of wave 1.

Captain-America-01.jpg

Captain-America-02.jpg

Cool! I have held off ordering any of the figures from Hasbro Pulse, because, especially with figures this simplistic, I really want to check out the paint jobs if at all possible- I was surprised to see Pulse later say that all of them were "Pulse exclusives," when I thought it was just the 2 metallic figures. Hopefully the other 4 figures will pop up in upcoming regular waves.

On 1/31/2021 at 1:43 PM, sentinelofliberty41 said:

The thing is, while there is nostalgia for those lines, they are not in scale with anything else, whereas there is a lot of love for 3.75"-4" figures. While there's less nostalgia for Marvel figures in this scale, specifically (Mego made a handful of 3.75" Marvel figures in the late 1970s.), They are also basing these very specifically on comic art from the 70s and early 80s, which is cool. As long as they keep a steady supply of interesting character/outfit choices, I can definitely see this line developing a following, especially at a $9.99 price point. I think they should include at least 1 accessory with most or all figures, though. 

-Also: What's with the 2 weird stripes, or suspenders, or whatever they are on the front of Magneto? I don't recall ever seeing him drawn like that.

On 1/31/2021 at 2:16 PM, JayC said:

That is why I like these figures right now. The card backs appeal to me, but the toys are for my son who is too young for more serious and expensive toys. But thanks in part to these retro figures he knows who Iron Man and Captain America are and he likes to hear Avengers bedtime stories.

I don't need to collect a hundred of these retro figures; to me they're gateway drugs so my kid can learn to appreciate the characters before he (hopefully) gets into the comics and movies. 

3 hours ago, The Mad Bubbler said:

The thing is, while there is nostalgia for those lines, they are not in scale with anything else, whereas there is a lot of love for 3.75"-4" figures. While there's less nostalgia for Marvel figures in this scale, specifically (Mego made a handful of 3.75" Marvel figures in the late 1970s.), They are also basing these very specifically on comic art from the 70s and early 80s, which is cool. As long as they keep a steady supply of interesting character/outfit choices, I can definitely see this line developing a following, especially at a $9.99 price point. I think they should include at least 1 accessory with most or all figures, though. 

-Also: What's with the 2 weird stripes, or suspenders, or whatever they are on the front of Magneto? I don't recall ever seeing him drawn like that.

Oh, I definitely understand the reasoning behind the scale as 4 inch is a lot more desirable than the bigger figures of Secret Wars or Marvel Superheroes. I just don't get why they don't follow the aesthetic of those.