Wakanda Based Series Series In The Works For Disney+

JayC

It's being reported by Variety that a new Wakanda based series is in the works for Disney+.

The series is part of a multi-year television deal between Disney and Ryan Coogler along with his Proximity Media company . The deal will include multiple television projects including one based on Black Panthers homeland Wakanda. Coogler previously directed and co-wrote the first “Black Panther” movie and is currently working on the sequel.

Wakanda.jpg

I think that Disney needs to slow down a bit, way too many MCU based shows on the Horizon, it always scares me when they start doing to much, that usually ends up resulting in watered down product, over saturation which leads to tired and bored fanbases.

17 minutes ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

I think that Disney needs to slow down a bit, way too many MCU based shows on the Horizon, it always scares me when they start doing to much, that usually ends up resulting in watered down product, over saturation which leads to tired and bored fanbases.

Yeah, I'd like to see what they already have in the pipeline turn out before they start into something else.

13 minutes ago, greenlucario said:

Yeah, I'd like to see what they already have in the pipeline turn out before they start into something else.

Yeah I as well, lets get at least Falcon & Winter Soldier out, Loki, and at least 2 more shows out, before we start turning the wheels again getting ready to pump out more, also I don't want to be that guy who says.. a show about Wakanda seems low brow to me, it's just going to have that NBC show feel.. like a Gotham, with a bunch of low tier characters doing minor activities strickly in their country.. meh seems too WB DC for me at this point.

56 minutes ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

Yeah I as well, lets get at least Falcon & Winter Soldier out, Loki, and at least 2 more shows out, before we start turning the wheels again getting ready to pump out more, also I don't want to be that guy who says.. a show about Wakanda seems low brow to me, it's just going to have that NBC show feel.. like a Gotham, with a bunch of low tier characters doing minor activities strickly in their country.. meh seems too WB DC for me at this point.

Nah, project development time being what it is (usually anywhere from 16 months to three years), there's nothing too out of the ordinary with Marvel's TV plans, except that it's making headlines. Normally, we don't hear much about future TV projects until they're much further along, and closer to release, but with Disney/Marvel/Lucasfilm, the huge fan interest turns minor news like this into a big deal. These shitty pandemic times, and the resulting state of the entertainment industry, which has caused Disney (and other studios) to shift focus to "direct-to-consumer" entertainment (streaming), has also made this sort of stuff into bigger news than it used to be.

1 hour ago, SUPREME007 said:

If they do this what the hell will go on in the show? Still nothing to get excited about since it will be like at least 2 years before this releases.

First thing that came to my mind was a prequel series focusing on a young T'Challa. Of course, are we really ready for "Wakandaville?"

Alternatively, they could do T'Chaka as Black Panther in his prime. They could delve into the mythology of Wakanda and maybe mix in a little hard sci-fi with Wakanda's advanced tech. I haven't even seen the movie yet, but i'm sure there are quite a few angles you could work out of it.

1 hour ago, mako said:

First thing that came to my mind was a prequel series focusing on a young T'Challa. Of course, are we really ready for "Wakandaville?"

Alternatively, they could do T'Chaka as Black Panther in his prime. They could delve into the mythology of Wakanda and maybe mix in a little hard sci-fi with Wakanda's advanced tech. I haven't even seen the movie yet, but i'm sure there are quite a few angles you could work out of it.

I'd be down for a prequel type show... They could take material from Reginald Hudlin/JR Jr series which explored who is the Black Panther and the secret history of Wakanda.  Plus include Ulysses Klaw and his battles against Wakanda.

The other thing to think about is that many of the MCU shows appear to be single season mini-series as opposed to more standard multi-season TV. We're probably seeing the equivalent of two to four shows that each last an average of three seasons. It's just that each season will instead be a different mini-series.

10 hours ago, JayC said:
It's being reported by Variety that a new Wakanda based series is in the works for Disney+.

The series is part of a multi-year television deal between Disney and Ryan Coogler along with his Proximity Media company . The deal will include multiple television projects including one based on Black Panthers homeland Wakanda. Coogler previously directed and co-wrote the first “Black Panther” movie and is currently working on the sequel.

Wakanda.jpg

They need to stop. This notion of doing the Black Panther story without the Panther is just as foolish as the idea that no other actor could possibly portray T'Challa, so they won't recast the role. Whether its Gotham or Krypton or Smallville or SHIELD...these types of shows always come off as cheap place holders, baiting the audience for the Main Event ( which can't ever really happen). And don't even get me started with Batwoman.

Those examples did manage to stay on the air because they at least had enough exposure time for viewers to get familiar with. Even if the average person never read the comics, they knew what these things referred to because of radio, newspaper strips, merchandising, etc. Black Panther is a revered character but sadly only got a brief (although memorable) amount of time on screen. We need to see more of him, before we go delving into a series about his nation. Especially with covid still jacking up movie and tv production. I say take the time, hone an actor for the role, then in about a year or two give us a recast Panther.

5 hours ago, Benn said:

The other thing to think about is that many of the MCU shows appear to be single season mini-series as opposed to more standard multi-season TV. We're probably seeing the equivalent of two to four shows that each last an average of three seasons. It's just that each season will instead be a different mini-series.

Feige did state they have plans for some of their shows to be Multi-seasons, of course he didn't say which ones

10 hours ago, mako said:

Yeah, they have a whole country to explore, so they won't be short of ideas

10 hours ago, Benn said:

The other thing to think about is that many of the MCU shows appear to be single season mini-series as opposed to more standard multi-season TV.

That's kind of a broad assumption to be making this early in the game. Seriously, we've just barely gotten through the first half of the first series. At this point, I doubt Disney even knows what they'll do with these shows.

1 hour ago, mako said:

That's kind of a broad assumption to be making this early in the game. Seriously, we've just barely gotten through the first half of the first series. At this point, I doubt Disney even knows what they'll do with these shows.

It's not an assumption. Wandavision and Falcon & Winter Soldier are explicitly single-season shows and have been since announcement.

2 hours ago, Benn said:

It's not an assumption. Wandavision and Falcon & Winter Soldier are explicitly single-season shows and have been since announcement.

. . . and Lois and Clark was given a multiyear renewal that would take it through Season 6 . . . until Season 4 tanked. Star Trek: The Next Generation was supposed to end after Season 6, but some champion renegotiating with cast, crew and bean counters netted a seventh season.

Things change.

I like the idea about getting another actor for the Black Panther, They did it with Superman and Batman and Spiderman ect, Anything less is cutting short a lot of his story that can be told. And lets not forget that Marvel knows how to play the long game. Look what they did with the MCU in the movies for over 10 years. And the main theme was tying stories together as one universe. The only problem Marvel may have is some Disney toads sticking their nose in where it does not belong as far as creative storyline. Their is a fountain of Marvel character's and stories to pull from. We might not all be on the same page as for which characters or which stories but then again we never are. Anyway we hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

3 hours ago, mako said:

. . . and Lois and Clark was given a multiyear renewal that would take it through Season 6 . . . until Season 4 tanked. Star Trek: The Next Generation was supposed to end after Season 6, but some champion renegotiating with cast, crew and bean counters netted a seventh season.

Things change.

The future is indeed never certain, but saying that the MCU series cited are single season shows isn't an assumption, they're designed that way. The examples you gave and what Marvel is doing are different in nearly every way. Traditional series like the ones you pointed out, where made in a system where they had to be sold to their advertisers in order to survive, year after year. And everyone involved in the show typically wanted it to keep going, because that meant you were a success. 

The MCU franchise is a massive, multifaceted storytelling beheamoth with the might and wallet of Disney behind it. It drives their marketing profits and, now, is tentpolling their new streaming service which is at the very core of their business model moving forward. Point being, these shows are being planned out and vetted WAY in advance to fit with the overall Marvel story plan. So when Feige says it's a one season show, it isn't because he's not sure if it will be successful, it's because they've planned it to be exactly the right sized cog in their current storytelling machine.

The story of WandaVision for instance, is planned specifically to intersect with the film stories, and if they decided to continue it they would need to adjust a lot of other components. Not impossible by any means, but it's pretty clear that some of the shows in production are meant to tell one specific story and then end, and others (Loki maybe) are more open ended. 

1 hour ago, glhshelby said:

The future is indeed never certain, but saying that the MCU series cited are single season shows isn't an assumption, they're designed that way. The examples you gave and what Marvel is doing are different in nearly every way.

Actually, no they're not. Schedules were made, contracts signed, money paid.

. . . and things changed.

My point is, for all we know, Marvel/Disney could extend any of their shows . . . or they could cancel WandaVision tonight. If 2020 showed us anything, it's that there's NO SUCH THING as an iron-clad arrangement. The future of the Disney+ shows probably will go on exactly as planned. But if you're willing to make bank on it, you haven't been paying attention for the last 11 or so months.

12 minutes ago, tarot said:

I was thinking about this at work and thinking this could actually be a great thing. Think about all the character they could introduce. Manifold, Vibrax, White wolf (Hunter not Bucky) and even Storm could be brought into the MCU via this series.  

I was thinking along similar lines. I also thought this might be a great way to ease a new actor into the T'Challa character. Sort of like how Supergirl took their sweet time rolling out Tyler Hoechlin's Superman.

On 2/1/2021 at 4:58 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

Yeah I agree, could be cool, but overall using low tier characters doesn't have much appeal to me.  But then, I'm not a huge Black Panther fan, so maybe there's a lot of material to pull from that I'm unaware of.