Will there be more waves for comic specific events

Pan

With recent Marvel Legend Waves dedicated to specific events like Age of Apocalypse, House of X, and the Venom wave, do you think we will see more comic inspired waves?  I can see Civil War, King in Black, and Planet Hulk creating some cool figures.  What stories do you think would be good for a wave or two?

Since I prefer the characters in their classic/iconic outfits, I'm not all that interested in waves for specific events that present alternate takes on characters. 

However, in the interest of playing along, I think the recent Thor-centric crossover event WAR OF THE REALMS would've been perfect for this, because Hasbro could've made the modern versions of Thor, Valkyrie, and the Strikeforce team that goes to Jotunheim (basically Captain America, Iron Fist, and Spider-Man wearing fur coats).

2 hours ago, RyanDaly said:

Since I prefer the characters in their classic/iconic outfits, I'm not all that interested in waves for specific events that present alternate takes on characters. 

However, in the interest of playing along, I think the recent Thor-centric crossover event WAR OF THE REALMS would've been perfect for this, because Hasbro could've made the modern versions of Thor, Valkyrie, and the Strikeforce team that goes to Jotunheim (basically Captain America, Iron Fist, and Spider-Man wearing fur coats).

I'm with you, I wanna see the classic outfits first. At the very least, mostly  classic and a sprinkling of alt outfits. But at the end of the day, if Hasbro wants to push specific event themed waves, and those waves sell, thats what theyre gonnna do.

I would like to see some super villain exclusives or three packs. Like the Red Ghost and his super Apes. The Frightful Four, Mad thinker and his awesome android. Moleman and his moloids. Nothing over the 30 or 40 dollar range. Of course I know that's wishful thinking. About the price I mean.

The only event Waves I'd like to see are Secret Wars (on vintage style cards) and Infinity Warps.

I really think it would be amazing if we got Secret Wars on cards that were like the Originals, that would be a fantastic series and a good way to get a bunch of characters we greatly need and characters in classic yet released outfits , it could be a nice way of getting a new Wreckling crew, a Molecule Man etc.

20 minutes ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

The only event Waves I'd like to see are Secret Wars (on vintage style cards) and Infinity Warps.

I really think it would be amazing if we got Secret Wars on cards that were like the Originals, that would be a fantastic series and a good way to get a bunch of characters we greatly need and characters in classic yet released outfits , it could be a nice way of getting a new Wreckling crew, a Molecule Man etc.

as hasbro has said when they did the 2-packs of the MU line, they can't used the package design as Mattel and the artist still own the rights to it. Marvel can use them on covers and stuff but not Hasbro. Not saying they can't do a Secret War line but not with using the packaging.

15 hours ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

Yes! And Monica Rambeau Captain Marvel, Titania, Volcana, Beyonder Doom. Have they done that version of Wasp?

I'd love a secret wars wave, especially with some of the villains we haven't gotten in figure form yet , but also some of the heros in the costumes of that era like Monica Rambeau.

The issue (as i see it) with storyline waves from hasbro's perspective is that it makes it easier for collectors to skip a whole wave, and in the meantime the collector may start checking out other action figure lines to satisfy their addiction to buying figs. Currently hasbro's approach seems to be to design waves for which most collectors will want at least 2-3 characters, and hammer the consumer with wave after wave relentlessly so that collectors are always either hunting or anticipating a few new figures, so that their eyes don't wander over to DC Multiverse or Fortnite or whatever. I know that the recent ML waves not being that appealing to direct more of my figure budget towards mcfarlane figures.

But obviously hasbro is experimenting more with waves that focus entirely on one storyline, and i trust they know what they are doing better than i do. 

I personally don't mind comic specific waves. I've been trying to find the right pieces to make my own Knull. But if Hasbro makes one first, best believe I'm getting in line to preorder! The fact that comic specific waves like house of x and a.o.a even exist make it possible for newer collectors to get excited for newer characters as not all are fans of classic costumes. There should be a balance between movie figs, classic comic figs, and event specific figs.

20 hours ago, tarot said:

as hasbro has said when they did the 2-packs of the MU line, they can't used the package design as Mattel and the artist still own the rights to it. Marvel can use them on covers and stuff but not Hasbro. Not saying they can't do a Secret War line but not with using the packaging.

Oh true true, I forgot about that, I'd imagine Mattel owns that card art, anyways they can just do something similar or why not just do a Secret Wars series on the Vintage Cards, I think it's a no brainer a secret wars figure series needs to happen eventually.

Honestly, no, I'd rather Hasbro didn't do too many of these waves, both the AoA and HoX/PoX waves do very little for me and I really only bought one character from each.  Of course my wallet is grateful for these waves, but the mixed approach is still the way to go.

I really wish Hasbro worked with Marvel Comics as close as they do with Marvel Studios. I think it would be great if whatever event is coming out had a complementary wave, which is something that only MCU properties get.

For example, when Infinity Wars was coming out in 2018, it would have been the perfect moment to release modern Loki and Pymtron alongside Iron Hammer, Soldier Supreme and the rest of the main Infinity Warps. The Marvel Legends Malekith could have been released in a War of the Realms wave alongside figures like modern Thor and Jane Foster Valkyrie. The modern Fantastic Four could have been released to tie into Empyre, with figures of Hulkling, Wiccan, Quoi and the Swordsman, among others.

Getting complementary waves for whatever event is going on at the moment would really help with my main issue with Hasbro, which is that they are so slow on the uptake with modern looks and characters that a lot of the time they end up releasing them when the hype around them has already come and go.

The only way I could get behind a themed wave is if it fills in gaps for characters and costumes we need. Like a lot of you are saying, a secret wars or Infinity Gauntlet wave would be cool if it meant classic characters who've either not gotten a figure yet or have but in an alternate costume. I prefer waves to be a mix of things but if we're going themed at least finish off teams/groups that need finishing. 

The thing about story waves is it is all about if you have a love/connection for the story. I loved the AOA, so I was really happy to have an AOA wave (one of the few waves I have completed), on the other hand, I haven't read HOX (and in no hurry to) so most of the wave is an easy pass

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2021 at 3:10 AM, leokearon said:

The thing about story waves is it is all about if you have a love/connection for the story. I loved the AOA, so I was really happy to have an AOA wave (one of the few waves I have completed), on the other hand, I haven't read HOX (and in no hurry to) so most of the wave is an easy pass

Same here. It means money saved though. I wonder if aiming for hard core fans would benefit sales though. I bet that AoA wave sold really well for a comic based wave.