War Machine Coming To Falcon And The Winter Soldier Disney+ Series

JayC

Actor Don Cheadle who plays War Machine/Jim Rhodes in the MCU movies recently told brobible.com in an interview that he will be making an appearance in the upcoming Disney+ Falcon and The Winter Soldier series which will star Anthony Mackie as Sam Wilson (Falcon) and Sebastian Stan as Bucky Barnes (Winter Soldier).

“That’s some of the fun of the MCU, that we all get to show up in each other’s stories, and there are ways that we’re cross-platforming these characters, and they become storylines, sometimes, in the movies. And then these storylines in the movies become storylines in the shows,” Cheadle told BroBible.

“It’s really a fun and interesting and, by all imagination, completely open-ended — this can go anywhere. It’s great, I can’t wait to get in the room with the writers and figure out how all those things [connecting Armor Wars to the MCU] happen. You know, Rhodey shows up in Winter Soldier and Falcon’s show. So, it can be a lot.

It was announced late last year that Cheadle will be starring in his own MCU Disney+ series called "Armor Wars".

BEST-WM-LEAD.jpg

Glad to hear it but TBH is that something that shouldn't be expected with these shows? I expect there to be a lot of guest spots and cameos in all these upcoming films. What's the point of building a greater MCU if they aren't going to be crossing over and interacting with other characters in that universe. It'd be kinda sad if they all just kinda stuck to their own individual corners and never even acted like any of the other character existed.

I'm excited for this show even more than WandaVision and I hope Rhodie isn't the only other Avenger that pops through these panels. This show seems a little more grounded in the overall MCU throughout where WandaVision is kinda floating on this psychedelic rollercoaster in some outworld setting that will eventually conclude in the MCU, whether it be at the end of it's season or through one of the tied in movie projects. The latter being my opinion as to how this thing ends.

I'm glad to see Rhodes back too, I was worried for a while that after his big crash in the Warmachine armor in civil war he was out of the game. Wonder if his character is still active duty in the air force or did he take a medical discharge. I don't remember him in any uniforms after his crash landing.

6 hours ago, silverback said:

I'm glad to see Rhodes back too, I was worried for a while that after his big crash in the Warmachine armor in civil war he was out of the game. Wonder if his character is still active duty in the air force or did he take a medical discharge. I don't remember him in any uniforms after his crash landing.

Yeah I don't remember him in uniform either, he's either in regular clothes or his armour.

17 hours ago, leokearon said:

Yeah I don't remember him in uniform either, he's either in regular clothes or his armour.

I always assumed it was like a James Bond situation. Bond was a Commander in the Royal Navy until recruited by Her Majesty's Secret Service. He still holds the rank, he's just not in the Navy any more. I assume when the government commissioned the War Machine armor, they made War Machine/Iron Patriot a kind military branch in and of itself, with Rhodey as its sole operative. He still works for Uncle Sam, just not in the Air Force.

Whatever, it'll be real interesting seeing them expand on these little character details in the various series (FINALLY).

On 2/5/2021 at 10:42 PM, silverback said:

The name tag for the War Machine MK IV in Infinity War reads  "Lt. Col. James Rhodes Ret." However, the MK VI in Endgame doesn't make that distinction, which would imply he retired but then returned to active duty after the Snap.

On 2/5/2021 at 7:42 PM, silverback said:

Well, he was definitely still involved in the armed forces in some way because when Cap and Nat showed up at Avengers headquarters during the conference hologram call, after fighting Proxima and Corvus, Ross commanded Rhodie to place them under arrest. Of course, Rhodie terminated the session, stating to Cap & Nat "That's a Court Martial", so he was still answering to someone.

22 hours ago, leokearon said:

He's likely on a kind of special duty from the Air Force. Not performing his normal functions but still very much a part of the service and still under the UCMJ.  Of course there could be some mistakes made in the movies....even the comics could never seem to keep his rank (or even his service) straight. He's a Lieutenant in the Marines during 'Nam. Oh wait he's in the USAF. I've seen him go from Lieutenant Colonel to Colonel and back to Lt Col so many times I can't keep track. He's retired, he's active duty, etcetera etcetera....bottom line, they're counting on the audience to ignore the inconsistences  and just fill in the gaps....like we're doing now.

10 hours ago, monron999 said:

Well, he was definitely still involved in the armed forces in some way because when Cap and Nat showed up at Avengers headquarters during the conference hologram call, after fighting Proxima and Corvus, Ross commanded Rhodie to place them under arrest. Of course, Rhodie terminated the session, stating to Cap & Nat "That's a Court Martial", so he was still answering to someone.

Right, good catch, maybe Thunderbutt Ross gave him an article 15 and tried to get him dishonorable discharge. Rhodie disregarded a direct order. Good for him.

21 hours ago, RyanDaly said:

In the early 2000s comics, Tony Stark actually became United States' Secretary of Defense. Regardless of how well that was executed, it's an interesting idea to have an armored Avenger at that position. I wonder if that's a direction they could take Rhodey in the MCU going forward. 

With Fury as the new director or SWORD, I wouldn't mind seeing Rhodes as the new director or SHIELD, as he ages out of his superhero duties but still has extensive military experience. I could see that as the future of SHIELD in the MCU. He could be a sort of amalgam of when Stark and Rogers' respectively were in charge of SHIELD. Of course, that would knock Maria Hill out as director, and being familiar with Disney's agenda(s) that's probably something they aren't gonna let happen, so I won't hold my breath.

It would be cool though.

2 hours ago, monron999 said:

With Fury as the new director or SWORD, I wouldn't mind seeing Rhodes as the new director or SHIELD, as he ages out of his superhero duties but still has extensive military experience. I could see that as the future of SHIELD in the MCU. He could be a sort of amalgam of when Stark and Rogers' respectively were in charge of SHIELD. Of course, that would knock Maria Hill out as director, and being familiar with Disney's agenda(s) that's probably something they aren't gonna let happen, so I won't hold my breath.

It would be cool though.

Maria isn't Director of SHIELD, Mack is.

5 hours ago, leokearon said:

Maria isn't Director of SHIELD, Mack is.

I was talking in terms of comic history. Though I wasn't following the comics closely at that time frame, I'm pretty sure Maria was  largely responsible for having Stark ousted as director. I may be misremembering. Still I wouldn't mind if they shifted that storyline to Hill unseating Mack as the director. He's already striking me as a major douche.

1 hour ago, monron999 said:

I was talking in terms of comic history. Though I wasn't following the comics closely at that time frame, I'm pretty sure Maria was  largely responsible for having Stark ousted as director. I may be misremembering. Still I wouldn't mind if they shifted that storyline to Hill unseating Mack as the director. He's already striking me as a major douche.

Maria Hill was actually one of Tony's few allies when he went on the run after he was ousted a director, and Stark's removal was the President's decision. He was like "well, I guess it's Tony Stark's fault that he didn't see a threat nobody at all saw coming, so Normie gets the keys to the castle now."

9 hours ago, monron999 said:

Tony was ousted by Osborn at the end of Secret Invasion. In the comics I think Hill is in charge but with the constant disbanding and reforming of SHIELD it is hard to say

10 hours ago, leokearon said:

Tony was ousted by Osborn at the end of Secret Invasion. In the comics I think Hill is in charge but with the constant disbanding and reforming of SHIELD it is hard to say

Maria got fired during Nick Spencer's Captain America run in 2017 after the major screw-up of creating a clandestine prison for super-villains that used reality-warping to brainwash them and having its prisoners break out. She was trialed and everything. Then Hydra Cap became director right before Secret Empire, where he dismantled S.H.I.E.L.D. and absorbed it into Hydra.