Jump to content

Recommended Posts

It's often talked about which Legends figures are underrated, but which ones are not as good as people tend to claim?

 

The Man-Thing wave Blade is one that I personally find to be slightly overrated

Image result for marvel legends bladeThe heads are near perfect; but he can barely hold his sword and I personally would've liked some butterfly joints.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Butterfly joints on Blade would help, the figure has too much blue and not enough black, and while I can get it to hold the sword quite well, I would have preferred if the "lightning bolts" on the "bald" head were tattoos instead of sculpted hair.

I find the Kingpin figure (both versions) overrated, mostly because it's so damn oversized. It's about a half inch too tall and doesn't scale well with basically anything, let alone any of the Daredevil or Spiderman (and related figures) that have been made. It's a great looking figure but pretty much only by itself.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Iron Man MK 85: I've seen so many people sing this figure so many praises, when I think that it's serviceable at most.

The most glaring issue is the arc reactor, while some reviewers do point out the absence of any paint detail or sculpt (I mean, Jesus, you can even see some of the red coming through in the center), I've seen nobody point out that the shape itself is wrong. It's missing the notch on the top side. I find this really baffling considering the MK 50 has a similar arc reactor, and Hasbro did a decent job with its shape and paintjob.

The proportions of the figure are also weird. The chest sits too low and the legs are too short.

I also don't fancy the way Hasbro broke up the articulation. The diaphragm cut is too low and pronounced. Like in the MK 50, the plates on the back of the hand are cut by the wrist articulation, which makes it look ugly. The way they solved the shoulder articulation is also pretty lazy. They basically just got rid of the shoulder plate, streamlining it to the shape of the shoulder. That combined with the weird proportions really throws off the armor's frame. They should have solved it by implementing the shoulder plates like in the MK 46 figure or the Gamerverse Iron Man. I'd rather loose a few degrees of articulation over the accuracy of the figure. The neck articulation is an odd choice that reduces articulation and doesn't allow for headswaps.

The paintjob is also pretty lackluster. The red should have been darker and the gold a bit less saturated. When it comes to small paint details, I don't expect Hasbro to add silver to every little nick where there should be, but the omission of the miniature arc reactor nodes is pretty flagrant. Similarly, I still dislike Hasbro's reluctance to paint the inside of the fisted hands.

In terms of accessories, the four repulsor pieces are alright (side note: the holes on the open hands are too shallow, so the pegs of the blasts don't fit all the way in), but the lack of a hand with Infinity Stones is just unexplainable. Everbody, myself included, brushed it off as "yeah, they're going to release an 'I am Iron Man' version of this figure down the line" but it's been a little bit too long. I can only hope they also improve the paint on this tentative new version of the figure... specially the arc reactor.

iron+man+mk+85.png 

Link to post
Share on other sites

First one that springs to mind is Strong Guy. He just sets off my sensitivities in all thee wrong ways. The odd proportions, the weird hair curl, the diaper.. never got why so many were so happy he was getting made then in hand could not understand the appeal. Feel like he belonged in The Incredibles Universe

 

9CD8A47E-4861-4214-B404-A17896537D10.png

12858ED5-7BC1-4179-9EF4-ABFE46E722E5.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ADour said:

Iron Man MK 85: I've seen so many people sing this figure so many praises, when I think that it's serviceable at most.

The most glaring issue is the arc reactor, while some reviewers do point out the absence of any paint detail or sculpt (I mean, Jesus, you can even see some of the red coming through in the center), I've seen nobody point out that the shape itself is wrong. It's missing the notch on the top side. I find this really baffling considering the MK 50 has a similar arc reactor, and Hasbro did a decent job with its shape and paintjob.

The proportions of the figure are also weird. The chest sits too low and the legs are too short.

I also don't fancy the way Hasbro broke up the articulation. The diaphragm cut is too low and pronounced. Like in the MK 50, the plates on the back of the hand are cut by the wrist articulation, which makes it look ugly. The way they solved the shoulder articulation is also pretty lazy. They basically just got rid of the shoulder plate, streamlining it to the shape of the shoulder. That combined with the weird proportions really throws off the armor's frame. They should have solved it by implementing the shoulder plates like in the MK 46 figure or the Gamerverse Iron Man. I'd rather loose a few degrees of articulation over the accuracy of the figure. The neck articulation is an odd choice that reduces articulation and doesn't allow for headswaps.

The paintjob is also pretty lackluster. The red should have been darker and the gold a bit less saturated. When it comes to small paint details, I don't expect Hasbro to add silver to every little nick where there should be, but the omission of the miniature arc reactor nodes is pretty flagrant. Similarly, I still dislike Hasbro's reluctance to paint the inside of the fisted hands.

In terms of accessories, the four repulsor pieces are alright (side note: the holes on the open hands are too shallow, so the pegs of the blasts don't fit all the way in), but the lack of a hand with Infinity Stones is just unexplainable. Everbody, myself included, brushed it off as "yeah, they're going to release an 'I am Iron Man' version of this figure down the line" but it's been a little bit too long. I can only hope they also improve the paint on this tentative new version of the figure... specially the arc reactor.

iron+man+mk+85.png 

Feel like that mystery EndGame box set we’ve heard rumors of my fix many of your points about that version. Fingers crossed!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2021 at 5:38 PM, McHogan said:

First one that springs to mind is Strong Guy. He just sets off my sensitivities in all thee wrong ways. The odd proportions, the weird hair curl, the diaper.. never got why so many were so happy he was getting made then in hand could not understand the appeal. Feel like he belonged in The Incredibles Universe

 

9CD8A47E-4861-4214-B404-A17896537D10.png

12858ED5-7BC1-4179-9EF4-ABFE46E722E5.jpeg

I for one love the Strong Guy figure. It's not perfect but it gives me all kinds of good 90s feels.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Emnems80 said:

I for one love the Strong Guy figure. It's not perfect but it gives me all kinds of good 90s feels.

Yeah, I understand the nostalgia, but really figures of 90s was not that good as we can find now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2021 at 6:09 AM, CraigLee said:

Yeah, I understand the nostalgia, but really figures of 90s was not that good as we can find now.

Well, they are not that good by today's standard, but maybe they were in their own context. I don't personally find the goofy bell bottom boots that most Marvel heroes had back in the day to have aged well.

I think Strong Guy was intentionally goofy. His presence compliments the "cool" guys like Iron Man or Spiderman. They did explain his proportions as a result of his mutation.

With that said, I never noticed the diaper.... Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2021 at 9:19 PM, Emnems80 said:

I for one love the Strong Guy figure. It's not perfect but it gives me all kinds of good 90s feels.

And I knew when posting him , someone would say they love him. Even SP//dr has its fans. 

You mention that the strong guy BAF isn’t perfect. What could Hasbro have done to give you a perfect strong guy? Better sculpting?  Accessories? Better paint app? For me, nothing could be done. Didn’t read Xfactor, and when I did see this guy my reaction was “who the f#@$ is this guy” ?

Wonder what figures could be turned around by better tic?

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, SpiderS said:

I don't think Blade is overrated it's just only comic book based figure of Blade in 6 inch scale that isn't Mezco. 

Yeah I kinda like the Blade figure. He fits in as a “ close enough” version of either comics or film. Depending on which head

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2021 at 12:31 PM, Chunkylover said:

Well, they are not that good by today's standard, but maybe they were in their own context. I don't personally find the goofy bell bottom boots that most Marvel heroes had back in the day to have aged well.

I think Strong Guy was intentionally goofy. His presence compliments the "cool" guys like Iron Man or Spiderman. They did explain his proportions as a result of his mutation.

With that said, I never noticed the diaper.... Thanks.

Yeah those tights whities (yellowies?) .. I’ve been an underwear on the outside guy since Donners Superman but the design on this guy just can’t see any thing other than adult diapers..

Link to post
Share on other sites

Strong guy was the best part of 90s X-factor Peter david comic while it lasted imho. Haven't touched the baf figure since there are  some figs in that wave I couldn't care less for like black Tom. I wouldn't mind getting him(strong guy) at a reasonable price though. 

Edited by GulagEscapee666
Error
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, McHogan said:

And I knew when posting him , someone would say they love him. Even SP//dr has its fans. 

You mention that the strong guy BAF isn’t perfect. What could Hasbro have done to give you a perfect strong guy? Better sculpting?  Accessories? Better paint app? For me, nothing could be done. Didn’t read Xfactor, and when I did see this guy my reaction was “who the f#@$ is this guy” ?

Wonder what figures could be turned around by better tic?

The same issue that plagues all large figures.....articulation.

My heyday of comic book reading was the early to mid 90s of everything X-Men. So I had to have him in my collection.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...







Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!


Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE