Zawe Ashton Tapped To Play Villain In 'Captain Marvel 2'

Outsiders

Sources have informed Deadline that Velvet Buzzsaw's Zawe Ashton has been set as the villain in the next installment of Captain Marvel 2.

Nia DaCosta has been tapped as director on the film from a script by Megan McDonnell.  Ms. Marvel star Iman Vellani and Teyonah Parris are also onboard to star in the project.  No additional information on the exact characters but sources say Ashton will be the main villain, though this can change over time or additional villains can be added.

Ashton is TV credited with Fresh Meat and recently starred with Jake Gyllenhaal in Netflix’s Velvet Buzzsaw.

Zawe_Ashton.jpg

gotta be someone pretty powerful to be able to go up against Danvers as she's been depicted in the mcu.  they could easily gender-swap a powerful villain who's male in the comics so i'd say its pretty wide open.

do we know if this movie is supposed to take place in the present of the mcu or is it supposed to be set in between the events of CM 1 and Endgame?

Oooooh. Let's hope its Deathbird! She's got a nice tall frame to work with so wings would look killer (though I highly doubt she's gonna look exactly like the comic anyway). If its Deathbird, they'll have a nice link to the "cosmic" side of the MCU which brings us THOSE characters, not to mention the Shi'ar Empire and of course, eventually....Marvel's Merry Mutants!

6 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

gotta be someone pretty powerful to be able to go up against Danvers as she's been depicted in the mcu.  they could easily gender-swap a powerful villain who's male in the comics so i'd say its pretty wide open.

do we know if this movie is supposed to take place in the present of the mcu or is it supposed to be set in between the events of CM 1 and Endgame?

I was wondering who this actress would play to be the main villian and wasnt even thinking bout how they can gender swap that really opens the doors.

I can definitely see Deathbird with her long neck and the crop of her hair. However, it's hard to imagine Deathbird as a formidable opponent to Carol, as powerful as she is in the MCU now. So what if she's a different type of villain like...

Empress Lilandra!

There's no rule that the Shi'ar have to be connected to the X-Men, and for the love of all that is good, let's not go down the Dark Phoenix Saga route again. Forget about that whole story, but you still have the Shi'ar, and the Royal Guard. Now a whole army (or "Legion" 😉) of superpowered foes led by Gladiator could be a real challenge to Captain Marvel. 

Hey I'm just spinning here. Not saying she has to be Deathbird and/or that this Deathbird has to be connected to the Shi'ar, (therefore Lilandra, therefore Prof X's men, etc. ) just saying it could go that way and its an easy link. She does have a very lanky build, that I can see would look fitting for a kind of avian humanoid, though.

Far as power levels go, they could easily reduce Captain Marvel for a time, and let her regain full abilities before movie's end. Or, jack up Deathbirdie. Right now for all we know they could make Zawe an all new character, maybe another lost daughter of Thanos....

• 2 weeks later...