Custom Golden Age Angel

MonsterChris

IMG_0078.thumb.JPG.fc5729029191e386418adfc1310a19ac.JPGIMG_0082.thumb.JPG.31a0ed56eb8f0e9c11a69130b83bc5b1.JPGIMG_0085.thumb.JPG.46b2d406cae4c9ed570a9c7b4b74cc8c.JPGIMG_0099.thumb.JPG.567c8f355ddf395a0a4b1383996445f1.JPG

IMG_0076.thumb.JPG.32e6edcc4ece0879077b0a4fb6f43805.JPGIMG_0086.thumb.JPG.04d1c0b505e5e3ffc62a9f8cfba306d1.JPG

This is my first custom and I wanted to share him with you guys first.  He's far from perfect, but I had a great time doing him and learned so much to help make my next one better. 

Angel is made from a Marvel Legends Blizzard body with sculpted costume elements.  The bracers came from a Marvel Legends Brother Voodoo, the cape is from a Superman action figure and also features some additional sculpting.  His heads are resin casts of an Admiral Thrawn head I bought on eBay with mustaches, eyebrows, and domino mask sculpted in epoxy.  The pistols were cast from a Metal Gear Solid action figure's weapons and the gunfire effects are just sculpted epoxy.

1558609-marvel_mystery_comics_030_59.thumb.jpg.25326291813a6172c86d6cb2e5a08f4b.jpg974495-angel4.thumb.png.c82567b6f60c7fcae3fd03c7557bde89.pngAs I said, he's clearly a first-time effort, but I'm satisfied with him for now.  He serves as my thesis on how the character should be executed in Marvel Legends or a comparable line.  The cape had to be permanently attached to the body, so I wanted it to be flexible and able to flow out behind him while running.  The figure comes with two heads: Golden Age and The Marvels Project (or Dr. Thomas and Simon Halloway if you prefer!)  He's got some interchangeable hand options as well: two fist hands (for two-fisted action, natch), two weapons grip hands, and one karate chop hand.  His twin Colt Single Action Army Model P "Peacemaker" revolvers are those gifted to him by The Two-Gun Kid at the end of The Marvels Project.  The gunfire effects have little holes in the bottoms and just fit right over the tips of the pistol barrels.  I may yet decide that he needs to come with a note promising the city officials that he plans to murder "The Six Big Men", because that's hilarious.

Nice work here MonsterChris, this is certainly an oldie but goody. You did a really good job on the paint and the cape really completes the figure. I like your action pic with him fighting the bad guy's too. Congrats on a very good piece of artwork here amigo. Thanks for sharing.

18 minutes ago, silverback said:

Nice work here MonsterChris, this is certainly an oldie but goody. You did a really good job on the paint and the cape really completes the figure. I like your action pic with him fighting the bad guy's too. Congrats on a very good piece of artwork here amigo. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, man!  Yeah, I'm probably happiest with how the cape came out.  I used the Zenithal method for priming after reading about it on Action Figure Toronto's website.  That guy's awesome.

Here's a better shot.

IMG_0089.thumb.JPG.7a4224dcb7a016a265566ec552865ed8.JPG

3 hours ago, Biggbubb said:

Absolutely fantastic! Sure doesn’t look like a first time custom. Well done ! Love the Timely heroes!

Thanks!  Well, I took my time and re-did each step, like five times.  I seriously had the whole thing painted and wasn't happy, so I stripped and started over.  Learned a lot.  Next one won't take me quite so long.

2 hours ago, RyanDaly said:

That's a terrific job! I have a weird fondness for this character, so I would love to see Hasbro produce a version this good. Maybe someday we'll get that Golden Age themed box set of the Invaders or All Winners Squad.

Yes!  They should so a Marvel Comics #1 boxed set with Angel, Human Torch, Golden Age Sub-Mariner, The Masked Raider, and Golden Age Ka-Zar.  I mean, who doesn't want a Masked Raider in Legends style?