Shang-Chi VS. The Marvel Universe

JayC

Last year, award-winning writer Gene Luen Yang and rising star artist Dike Ruan transformed the Shang-Chi mythos in a critically-acclaimed new series. And today, Marvel Comics is proud to announce that the incredible team will continue their bold work on the character this May in a new ongoing series. SHANG-CHI #1 will kick off a surprising new journey for Marvel’s greatest fighter as he finds himself on the opposite side of Marvel’s heroes.

After the events of his latest series, Shang-Chi has finally taken his place as the leader of the Five Weapons Society but using an evil secret organization as a force for good won’t be easy. And it’s about to get a lot harder when Shang-Chi’s fellow super heroes from Spider-Man to the X-Men to the Avengers, start to question his motives! Don’t miss what happens when Shang-Chi and his newfound family of warriors collide with the Marvel Universe’s biggest heroes!

“I'm very, very thankful for all the support that we got for the Shang-Chi miniseries. I mean, the first two issues sold out,” Yang said. “I'm thrilled that we get to continue the story of Shang-Chi and his siblings in the Five Weapons Society. We're going to show how Shang-Chi's brand-new role affects the rest of the Marvel Universe. We'll have him interact with old friends and new foes... and even old friends who become new foes. Dike Ruan and I are already hard at work. The stuff I've seen from Dike so far has been his best yet.

Through their expansive world-building in their previous series, Yang and Ruan have successfully modernized Shang-Chi for a new age. Don’t miss the next revolutionary story in his saga when SHANG-CHI #1 hits stands in May.

SHANG-CHI #1
Written by GENE LUEN YANG
Art by DIKE RUAN
Cover by LEINIL FRANCIS YU
On Sale 5/19

Shang-Chi-1.jpg

Meh, maybe it could be a good series but I don't think I'll run out to grab these books, I have since last year, limited my comic buying to only getting the TPB, instead of every issue, just couldn't warrant the additional spending each week when I was spending like 100 on comics (since who knows when), covid really crushed that in the beginning of last year, also they got rid of some books I was really liking. I had to pull the plug, I'm sure this is like the other books, ______ insert name vs. the marvel universe or ____insert name kills the marvel universe. I am happy to see them giving Shang Chi a push before his MCU debut.

Never a huge fan of this type of story. Maybe Deadpool.... maybe.. could take on the entire MU but Shang Chi? 

Ok these a out of canon, suspend all beliefs, one off that is supposed to raise the stock of whichever character is the main event this time.. but SHANG CHI?!? There are 10 martial artists I can name without googling that Marvel themselves has said are better hand to hand combatants.. 

i guess for those that love this character the exposure is a good thing, and I know that Marvel raises the profile of future MCU stars but efforts like this and the general announcement that this lame-o is getting a movie has me concerned about the next MCU phase

@McHogan Shang chi has been confirmed to be the best hand to hand martial artist in the entire marvel universe several times over decades. Iron fist, spiderman and even wolverine have all gone to him to be trained. He has taken down many powered people, including deadpool., captain America and iron man. 

And yet he is still lame.

We are talking about a guy who has been around since the 70s and could not hold a monthly for a sustained period that lifted him to the big time.

He has done well for a 70s karate Bruce Lee inspired (clone) character. But even his biggest supporter cannot claim he is an upper echelon character. Nobody thinks of Shang Chi when they think of Marvel.

outside of his own books, when has he beaten anyone? The last time there was a major crossover, when was Shang Chi the first guy the Avengers called? The last 10 crossovers? 

This is just Marvel saying he is SUPPOSED to be important and the masses responding with a yawn. Like they always have with Shang Chi