Comic characters you hate but need to be made into a Legend to complete or add to team

McHogan

So I was looking over a article that listed the all time Avengers comic roster. While we have discussed characters that would be a long shot to get a Legend, are there any characters for your favorite team that you have never cared for but need them to either check that box or complete a team? 

Being an Avengers Legends collector I have many. While not a fan of the roster mixing that Uncanny Avengers brought, I didn’t hate any X character brought in. Also not thrilled by most of Hickman’s additions none were completely despised ( In fairness, I was out of collecting at the time so I hadn’t read the stories they were in. ) 

I’ll get the ball rolling with probably the one Avenger with zero redeeming qualities: Dr Druid. This guy looked like your creepy uncle, was seduced by one of the teams greatest enemies and eventually betrayed the team before falling into the time stream. If there were ever a character that I wish could be erased from Avengers history it’s this turkey. 

That got me thinking. As a Avengers completist, I’d have to get this guy. Heck, I’d even be a little excited that they made him. But as a comic character and member of Earths Mightiest Heroes, he is the worst. I hated every issue he was in. When they made him leader I actually actively hope for his death. 

For a fictional character, that’s quite a reaction. What character was added to your favorite team that you hated but you need him/her/it to be made into a Legend so you can check them off your list? 

12 minutes ago, McHogan said:

So I was looking over a article that listed the all time Avengers comic roster. While we have discussed characters that would be a long shot to get a Legend, are there any characters for your favorite team that you have never cared for but need them to either check that box or complete a team? 

Being an Avengers Legends collector I have many. While not a fan of the roster mixing that Uncanny Avengers brought, I didn’t hate any X character brought in. Also not thrilled by most of Hickman’s additions none were completely despised ( In fairness, I was out of collecting at the time so I hadn’t read the stories they were in. ) 

I’ll get the ball rolling with probably the one Avenger with zero redeeming qualities: Dr Druid. This guy looked like your creepy uncle, was seduced by one of the teams greatest enemies and eventually betrayed the team before falling into the time stream. If there were ever a character that I wish could be erased from Avengers history it’s this turkey. 

That got me thinking. As a Avengers completist, I’d have to get this guy. Heck, I’d even be a little excited that they made him. But as a comic character and member of Earths Mightiest Heroes, he is the worst. I hated every issue he was in. When they made him leader I actually actively hope for his death. 

For a fictional character, that’s quite a reaction. What character was added to your favorite team that you hated but you need him/her/it to be made into a Legend so you can check them off your list? 

28EAB6D5-9ACB-4B07-9847-5D930EB7FE47.png

I hated him too before I read Avengers Under Siege he has small role but it did make me more sympathetic towards him. 

12 minutes ago, SpiderS said:

I hated him too before I read Avengers Under Siege he has small role but it did make me more sympathetic towards him. 

I get that. stern had a way of writing that today’s writers don’t have.

for me, I saw Druids membership coming from a mile away and I just couldn’t believe it. Here was this pudgy, balding middle aged dude who obviously was not Avengers material coming to the teams rescue.

believe me, I tried to accept this guy but he was a hard sell that never really took hold. 

I do admit, his fall was compelling and an interesting read but I got the impression that Druid, while under Nebulas control, kinda knew what he was doing and his ego justified his actions

44 minutes ago, GulagEscapee666 said:

Wonderman, is there a hasbro version of this loser yet? Stingray? 

Wonderman has gotten a Legend albeit not one of his more “famous “ costumes. 

Stingray has seen no love from Hasbro yet

Swordsman hate the character, seems like he’s always betraying the Avengers and they always fall for it no matter which time plus the fact he died, before he could marry Mantis, that the Cotati overtook his body, and fathered the Celestial Messiah Quoi, and he made his own son try to kill the Avengers as well during Empyre. He got cucked so bad. Terrible character up there with Dr. Druid. 

Now that I have Stiltman, I'm looking forward to a nice appropriate sized Mr. Hyde. I would like a Swordsman and a nice Trevor Fitzroy of Xmen fame, so Cable and Bishop can beat the snot off his nose. A Mad Thinker and his awesome android, a nice Mole Man and throw in a few Moleoids. Sorry guess I kinda got off track. Oh and a single pack Monica Rambeau. 

Captain Britain.  Admittedly, I haven't read a huge amount of his stuff - just any X-Men appearances and maybe fifty or so issues of the first Excalibur run - but he always just came off as a whiny, self-important, condescending a$$hole, especially towards Meggan.  But, I love the rest of the Excalibur cast and need to complete the team.

Maybe he was cooler in his pre-Excalibur days  or something.

Doctor Druid was the first character I thought of when I read the title of this topic. I always associate him with the end of Roger Stern's run on The Avengers and the ousting of Monica Rambeau by Mark Gruenwald's poor editorial decisions. 

Edit: After thinking about it for another moment.... nah, I wouldn't buy a Doctor Druid toy. Screw him!

I don't hate Venom, but I'm no fan either. I do, however, feel compelled to have a Venom in my collection, which is why I got the deluxe Monster Venom when it was offered on Pulse. If they took the movie Venom from last year and repainted it with a classic comic accurate look, hoo boy... I think I would have to get that one. 

12 hours ago, nWoWolfpack said:

Swordsman hate the character, seems like he’s always betraying the Avengers and they always fall for it no matter which time plus the fact he died, before he could marry Mantis, that the Cotati overtook his body, and fathered the Celestial Messiah Quoi, and he made his own son try to kill the Avengers as well during Empyre. He got cucked so bad. Terrible character up there with Dr. Druid. 

I love seeing differing opinions, because I know a guy who talks about pretty much nothing else other than his belief that it's a crime worthy of the Hague that Hasbro hasn't already made Swordsman.😆

As for me, I really don't care about Wonder Man, but his chance of ending up in my collection goes up ever so slightly if Hasbro ever commits to the West Coast Avengers.

1 hour ago, watanabefan said:

I love seeing differing opinions, because I know a guy who talks about pretty much nothing else other than his belief that it's a crime worthy of the Hague that Hasbro hasn't already made Swordsman.😆

As for me, I really don't care about Wonder Man, but his chance of ending up in my collection goes up ever so slightly if Hasbro ever commits to the West Coast Avengers.

I'll buy the Swordsman, to complete my Avengers, just don't like the character. 

The only costume I'd take Wonder Man is Safari Jacket or if they wanna re-do his black modern look which he's had for so long

16 hours ago, nWoWolfpack said:

What I don't like about the Swordsman is that he just was never Avengers material. I really believe he was put on the team just to have him killed off, which frankly wasn't a bad idea (killing him wasnt bad, ever making him an Avenger was). While I've stated before that I want the 70s line-up roster, I wouldnt buy Swordsman and would feel quite content. Mantis, yes, Moondragon, yes. Swordsman....just die already. Loser.

14 minutes ago, leokearon said:

I would love a Swordsman, I would stay clear of Mantis and Moondragon though

Wait, what?? You like Swordsman but not Mantis? What is wrong with you? 🙂

Actually my concern is that they would put the both of them on totally wrong bucks. But if I can't get them in their correct outfits and body builds, it would all be a waste. 

56 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

Wait, what?? You like Swordsman but not Mantis? What is wrong with you? 🙂

Actually my concern is that they would put the both of them on totally wrong bucks. But if I can't get them in their correct outfits and body builds, it would all be a waste. 

I'm a Wanda fan, therefore I must automatically hate Mantis

57 minutes ago, sentinelofliberty41 said:

Oh no, you guys are talking about Mantis. I don't know why but I have always had a major dislike of that character but we really do need her in plastic form to finish the 70's Avengers (along with Moondragon.)

I liked Mantis in her GotG outfit but not so much her 70s Avengers look.  But not very relevant since we don't have many of the other characters from that GotG team in their outfits either.  I do agree that a 70s Mantis is needed for avengers rosters

I thought after we got the classic Red Guardian that the Swordsman wouldn’t  be far behind. It’s been years now, every time I see that Red Guardian I think it would have been so easy to redo this guy into a classic Swordsman

I never had been a big fan of either 70s Mantis or Moondragon but it they are glaring holes in the Avengers lineup from that era. 

Now that it has been mention, Moondragon was a huge A hole as well. Her whole God complex and terrible costume. Bet if we ever got her it wouldn’t be the 70s look. Probably a more visually striking Defenders black and white costume or her GOTG look.

1 hour ago, bashpics99 said:

I liked Mantis in her GotG outfit but not so much her 70s Avengers look.  But not very relevant since we don't have many of the other characters from that GotG team in their outfits either.  I do agree that a 70s Mantis is needed for avengers rosters

Yeah, I can agree with that. She was just a better fit for guardians, her and swordsman were just odd picks as Avengers but as Atlantis said, I think them being there was to get you invested in Swordsman for his eventual demise. Which thus leads to them being needed for that 70s roster.

I am really hoping we get some more classic, badly needed Fantastic Four villains in the next couple years. I'm talking Mole Man, Annihilus, the Mad Thinker, Diablo, Blastaar, etc. The one OG First Family foil that I've never liked but would totally get a Marvel Legends figure of is the Puppet Master. I can see the designers having a ball with his crazy-eyed face and big-ass lips. 

b73493cfb3f38795b6b9a03b29871ba9.jpg

Puppet Master.. I wonder who (Kirby?) used for inspiration for that guy? His features are all over the place as far as traits go.

i wouldn’t hate more classic villains. Legends are at their best when they give us the classic looks in my opinion