Good characters with figures with terrible execution

Hogun

Alright, give me your picks for good characters with poorly executed figures. It can be one character with a good costume but it has another figure in a different costume that was poorly executed.

Here are some of my picks: Morph. This character is supposed to be super wacky and yet Hasbro could not even bother to get his head right and at least have given us a wacky head. Instead, his figure looks smug.

Venom from the Monster Venom wave. 4 words: Double-fisted figures suck. Unless it's a big figure such as a Build-a-figure or they have some kind of effect piece attached to the hand.

Black Tom Cassidy. First and foremost, he is not black. Hasbro is run by racists. Nah JK. The figure is really bland. They should have included an effect piece.

Vintage wave Iceman. I wanted that figure but I keep passing up on it because A) Hasbro could not bother to give him open hands in order to recreate the promo image on the packaging. Fists do not work with the ice slide. B) Every copy I have seen has that seam in the middle of the face.

First thing that springs to mind are any characters with thigh or calf straps that fall down with every movement of the figure.

Jim Lee Cyclops and others that could have been the defining version but are frustrating due to the constant battle with these straps.

collectors should not have to glue pieces of their figures in place to keep the proper look. 

I was shocked that Black Tom even got a figure, so accessories would be asking for too much!! 

Cosmic Ghost Riders hips are joke.

Avengers 1 Cap is a relic they insist on rereleasing without updating.

Silver  Centurion Iron Man for a couple reasons. The neck joint obviously is poor execution but overall, the figure just doesn’t have the bulk that armor needs 

Hands down, Silver Centurion. The armor was markedly wider, bulkier than his classic red/golden suit and the figure should have had bigger shoulder pads to reflect this. It should also have had a calf swivel, but that's a minor issue.

More importantly: no metallic paint. This alone would have made up for many of the other execution flaws for the figure. Sheer foolishness.

Then there's the back pack. The SC armor had a distinctive, angular back pack that for some bizarre reason, was replaced for some rectangular thing that looked like it fell off some generic piece of factory junk.

Lastly of course was the helmet/neck joint....this just ruined the figure and it really was preventable.

Throw in some special effects like the Marvel Select figure.

10 hours ago, McHogan said:

First thing that springs to mind are any characters with thigh or calf straps that fall down with every movement of the figure.

Jim Lee Cyclops and others that could have been the defining version but are frustrating due to the constant battle with these straps.

collectors should not have to glue pieces of their figures in place to keep the proper look. 

I was shocked that Black Tom even got a figure, so accessories would be asking for too much!! 

Cosmic Ghost Riders hips are joke.

Avengers 1 Cap is a relic they insist on rereleasing without updating.

Silver  Centurion Iron Man for a couple reasons. The neck joint obviously is poor execution but overall, the figure just doesn’t have the bulk that armor needs 

Hey I love the Jim Lee Cyclops. The Warlock wave release that is. Yes his straps were a constant source of frustration but it does not stop me from loving it because other than those straps. It is a very good figure. In fact, he's my favorite figure in my entire collection.

I would have to throw the vintage style Hawkeye in there. I love the look of him but the purple is too dark, he can just barely hold that goofy bow that barely looks like a bow. His quiver is a hunk of ugly plastic that just sort of floats on him and doesn't look strapped to him. And speaking of straps, his costume hinders the ab crunch and makes posing him tedious as it shifts and tugs. Surely they can do better than this.

11 hours ago, Hogun said:

Vintage wave Iceman. I wanted that figure but I keep passing up on it because A) Hasbro could not bother to give him open hands in order to recreate the promo image on the packaging. Fists do not work with the ice slide. B) Every copy I have seen has that seam in the middle of the face.

That Iceman is so frustrating. Having no open hands is like making Banshee, and not including a "yelling" head. I think Iceman is a good candidate, and popular enough, for a deluxe release- give him a few sets of hands, and an interchangeable smiling head. He should also have a bigger, better ice slide, with some swiveling joints, and/or interchangeable pieces for different display options.

Cannonball is a big one. Besides the lack of legs, the "blasting off" bottom half we got is too small, in my opinion, and just looks weird. 

I think retro Hawkeye and SC Iron Man are both what I'd call "mediocre" figures- not awful, but not quite right, We REALLY need a new quiver for Hawkeye- I agree, that one just looks like a big hunk of plastic that just kind of "floats" behind Clint.  SC Iron Man should have bigger armor, agreed- I feel like Toy Biz got the look of the armor well, but it has the awkward-looking Toy Biz articulation, and is too short. The Select SC Iron Man has a teeny, tiny head. Maybe we'll get an update in a handful of years, since no one has gotten it quite right yet...

As much as I love Psylocke, let's be trully honest that currently the 2 figures we have are poor representations of the Psylocke we love, as much as I like the figures, they could be way better, I think it's the wrong buck and sculpt she's too spindley, the face is oddly off, not even really asian, kinda of just weirdly proportioned. I think most people agree, they still have not given us that near perfect psylocke.

I will make this a blanket complaint but a few figures really jump to mind, I cannot stand figures that come with yelling or screaming, or tongues sticking out heads, but do not include a neutral head, I want the option to decide if my character is yelling or not, standing in a vanilla pose with a angry yelling face throws me off, so to speak of that Thunderstrike, Gwenpool, Beast , they all are big offenders, Gwenpool was such a great figure..and same with Beast..but you gave them no neutral heads, that really messed things up for me. my final word is on Family Matters Scarlet Witch, yes I love this figure..but do I like her slightly jarring inaccurate paint job, no not really, they didn't have to do that.

17 minutes ago, nWoWolfpack said:

The Hood 

Haha yes, this guy seems like the first assignment for the new guy on the Legends team. 

He needs a neutral or demon face, a cape that doesn’t look like he stole it from his big brother, and just a better overall design ( but I guess that can be blamed on his creator ) 

On 2/23/2021 at 9:12 AM, Hogun said:

Hey I love the Jim Lee Cyclops. The Warlock wave release that is. Yes his straps were a constant source of frustration but it does not stop me from loving it because other than those straps. It is a very good figure. In fact, he's my favorite figure in my entire collection.

I hear you, I agree great figure. My point was it could have been flawless with out the poorly executed design in those straps. You should not have to even think about those things dropping..

For me, the Black Knight is the gem in my collection. But it’s not without things I wish were different too. For example, I wish the neutral head was under the wingless helmet ( to mimic Avengers #273), that the chainmail was more gray than blue ( from his best run under  Roger Stern ) and that his default base didn’t have the long cloth in front.

I was able to (painstakingly) get the neutral face under the “correct” helmet but it cost me 2 extra BK figures, a dremmel, and luck to make it work. I was also able to remove the cloth so now I have a couple distinct looks for BK that can stand in for his different eras. but for me, he really is the greatest representation of BK I’ve ever gotten and would be hard pressed to want more.

41 minutes ago, mako said:

Just off the top of my head, MCU Dr. Strange. I've said it a thousand times: Why bother with articulation at all when you just render it useless with a hard plastic skirt? For that matter, anybody in an overcoat (Gambit, Multiple Man, MCU Nick Fury) has the same issue.

Oh, and do I REALLY have to mention Cannonball?

The M’Baku BAF is the worst offender of your point. That skirt might as well be a brick. It’s so unnecessarily thick too. Seems they could have given us the idea with thinner material without bulking it up to the point of making his lower half useless.

Loki.  The classic one from the MCU Hulk BAF wave.  ☹️

He's on a wrong buck.  His scale mail is painted on.  His metallic parts look like bright yellow plastic.  He's got boring un-Loki-like hands with no alternate options, and he comes with a sword!?  Of all the things to give him... I mean, Loki with a sword isn't exactly unheard of, but no spear?  No staff?  No magical effects?  No book?  No Norn Stones?  Not even a flagon of wine?

He's one of the big bads of the Marvel Universe and he got a real indecent treatment in that figure.  He needs a whole rethink from top to bottom.

17 minutes ago, MonsterChris said:

He's on a character inaccurate  buck.  His scale mail is painted on.  His metallic parts look like bright yellow plastic.  He's got boring un-Loki-like hands with no alternate options, and he comes with a sword!?  Of all the things to give him... And that's new, right?  Like, they went out of their way to make sure he came with a special sword all his own?  I mean, either way, Loki with a sword isn't exactly unheard of, but no spear?  No staff?  No magical effects?  No book?  No Norn Stones?  Not even a flagon of wine?

He's one of the big bads of the Marvel Universe and he got a real indecent treatment in that figure.  He needs a whole rethink from top to bottom.

My first thought about Loki was that he was too stocky. Loki is tall and skinny, the opposite physically of Thor. A guy who gets what he wants by brains not Braun. 

His Legend IS very underwhelming.. too bad

22 hours ago, Hogun said:

Vintage wave Iceman. I wanted that figure but I keep passing up on it because A) Hasbro could not bother to give him open hands in order to recreate the promo image on the packaging. Fists do not work with the ice slide. 

Bro I feel u, but I snagged that ice man for 5 bucks at ganestop so I'm not complaining.

The recent Captain Marvels head looked a little too cartoony

the Leader was phoned in

even though I like Mach 1 and there are some clear new parts to him, the detail is a little “happy meal” and less finished

23 hours ago, MonsterChris said:

He's on a wrong buck.  His scale mail is painted on.  His metallic parts look like bright yellow plastic.  He's got boring un-Loki-like hands with no alternate options, and he comes with a sword!?  Of all the things to give him... I mean, Loki with a sword isn't exactly unheard of, but no spear?  No staff?  No magical effects?  No book?  No Norn Stones?  Not even a flagon of wine?

Wow, good one, I totally forgot about it. The only thing other than the outfit colors that they got right was the (excellent) head sculpt. Painting on the chain mail scales, giving him that buffed-out buck, not giving effects and maybe a more sinister head....all of these led to a major let down.

I hate that Beast head. Psylocke could've been better. I didn't mind the Iceman from the Juggernaut wave (although the top of the thigh on mine broke off) but we need a more classic-looking Iceman and that Vintage one is not gonna cut it. Even if Cannonball came with both legs and a blasting effect, I was always going to pose him with his power set. I just wish it was higher and wider.