Jump to content

Good characters with figures with terrible execution


Hogun
 Share

Recommended Posts

The Vision. CLASSIC Vision. While the "vintage" version had the best paint job, the body buck is really too small for the character. They should have taken the pectoral articulation and colors on that one, and put them on the larger buck used in the Vision/Captain/Kate 3 pack.

The Vision has earcups on that widow's peak cowl of his. 3 pack got it right, vintage didn't.

The solar gem on his forehead isn't diamond shaped, its teardrop shaped. 

The Vision's eyes are basically black sockets; sometimes there are tiny gold lights. I suppose the 3pack came closer to getting this right (but really the one that did it best was the first Hasbro Vision back in 2010).

The Vision's cape has a distinctive collar and a cord that pulls it together; no Marvel Legends figure yet seems to be able to get this right. Its not like they don't have the ability- Taskmaster has the cord on his cape. I do like that they got the length right on each version so far, perhaps an optional cape representing movement could be added (like they did with Storm's cape in the Storm/Thunderbird 2 pack). 

The Vision's belt is a distinctive piece that for some reason, these people want to paint on, and it just looks silly and cheap each time. Puma and Night Thrasher both have similar belts, and those are molded separate pieces, so there's no reason for Hasbro to keep doing this to the Vision. 

The Vision wears standard old school superhero briefs, not "trunks"; they never did this before, so why they did it for his vintage look makes no sense. Then there are his boots. Why Legends can mold distinctive boots for the likes of Wolverine, Shatterstar, Thunderstrike, Nova (Groot BAF), etc. but can't/won't do standard boots that end in a point to the knee, like DC Essentials does, is just beyond me. Especially when there are so many characters that wear that style of boot! When they do the Vision's boots they paint on the pointed top and it just looks so so very cheap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Atlantis said:

The Vision. CLASSIC Vision. While the "vintage" version had the best paint job, the body buck is really too small for the character. They should have taken the pectoral articulation and colors on that one, and put them on the larger buck used in the Vision/Captain/Kate 3 pack.

The Vision has earcups on that widow's peak cowl of his. 3 pack got it right, vintage didn't.

The solar gem on his forehead isn't diamond shaped, its teardrop shaped. 

The Vision's eyes are basically black sockets; sometimes there are tiny gold lights. I suppose the 3pack came closer to getting this right (but really the one that did it best was the first Hasbro Vision back in 2010).

The Vision's cape has a distinctive collar and a cord that pulls it together; no Marvel Legends figure yet seems to be able to get this right. Its not like they don't have the ability- Taskmaster has the cord on his cape. I do like that they got the length right on each version so far, perhaps an optional cape representing movement could be added (like they did with Storm's cape in the Storm/Thunderbird 2 pack). 

The Vision's belt is a distinctive piece that for some reason, these people want to paint on, and it just looks silly and cheap each time. Puma and Night Thrasher both have similar belts, and those are molded separate pieces, so there's no reason for Hasbro to keep doing this to the Vision. 

The Vision wears standard old school superhero briefs, not "trunks"; they never did this before, so why they did it for his vintage look makes no sense. Then there are his boots. Why Legends can mold distinctive boots for the likes of Wolverine, Shatterstar, Thunderstrike, Nova (Groot BAF), etc. but can't/won't do standard boots that end in a point to the knee, like DC Essentials does, is just beyond me. Especially when there are so many characters that wear that style of boot! When they do the Vision's boots they paint on the pointed top and it just looks so so very cheap.

I'd really like to see this revisited and use that new Spider-man buck. And maybe have some alternate hands this time and a cape that isn't so solid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/23/2021 at 3:13 PM, nWoWolfpack said:

The Hood 

I'm sure The Hood is somebody's favorite villain, but this figure looks not only phoned-in but botched. It aggravates me because if Hasbro wanted/needed to save money by doing a simple re-deco with a new head, they could've used the Doctor Octopus body with a new head and bada-boom, you got Zarrko, the Tomorrow Man. 

unnamed.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/24/2021 at 12:01 AM, Lord_Scareglow said:

As much as I love Psylocke, let's be trully honest that currently the 2 figures we have are poor representations of the Psylocke we love, as much as I like the figures, they could be way better, I think it's the wrong buck and sculpt she's too spindley, the face is oddly off, not even really asian, kinda of just weirdly proportioned. I think most people agree, they still have not given us that near perfect psylocke.

 

Agreed 100%, it's a shame we don't have her good figure yet. and I think we already have parts ready for her, using moonstone body with silk head would easily top all existing figures. We could also wish for all new female martial artist type body, with good articulation, that would include double jointed elbows, of course all this having pin less system and sculpted on straps, which can be used for Elektra in the future, since their costumes are so similar. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, SpiderS said:

Agreed 100%, it's a shame we don't have her good figure yet. and I think we already have parts ready for her, using moonstone body with silk head would easily top all existing figures. We could also wish for all new female martial artist type body, with good articulation, that would include double jointed elbows, of course all this having pin less system and sculpted on straps, which can be used for Elektra in the future, since their costumes are so similar. 

I'd say this is true for most of their female figures. Its a shame because they have definitely improved their head sculpts/face technique by leaps and bounds over their earlier efforts. The faces used for the Wasp, Black Queen, Emma Frost, She-Hulk come to mind, and these are just fantastic examples of what they can do when they set their minds to it. Even the upcoming Omega Sentinel....yes, they effed up the skin color on the alt head, but that facial expression on the bald/red head is incredible. This is what I would expect Moondragon's (if they ever make her) face to look like. If only they could get the female body correct. If the Legends team can have different body bucks for the males, they should be able to do this for the females. No, the spindly teen Kate Bishop mold doesn't work for the Black Widow. Invisible Woman's (and where the hell is my all translucent version of her!) body shouldn't be used for characters like Storm or Jubilee. And contrary to some of the nervous nellies out there, Yes, some of these figures should and must have larger bosoms. Again going to Omega Sentinel- the figure could almost pass for a guy. She's definitely more curvy than that in the comics. I am glad that the team has brought back, at least a little, the Ms. Marvel/Rogue buck from back in the day. But they seriously need to expand their selection. Figures like She-Hulk, Thundra, Valkyrie etc need to be on bigger/taller bucks. Curvier characters like Storm, Emma Frost, etc need a figure to reflect that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Atlantis said:

I'd say this is true for most of their female figures. Its a shame because they have definitely improved their head sculpts/face technique by leaps and bounds over their earlier efforts. The faces used for the Wasp, Black Queen, Emma Frost, She-Hulk come to mind, and these are just fantastic examples of what they can do when they set their minds to it. Even the upcoming Omega Sentinel....yes, they effed up the skin color on the alt head, but that facial expression on the bald/red head is incredible. This is what I would expect Moondragon's (if they ever make her) face to look like. If only they could get the female body correct. If the Legends team can have different body bucks for the males, they should be able to do this for the females. No, the spindly teen Kate Bishop mold doesn't work for the Black Widow. Invisible Woman's (and where the hell is my all translucent version of her!) body shouldn't be used for characters like Storm or Jubilee. And contrary to some of the nervous nellies out there, Yes, some of these figures should and must have larger bosoms. Again going to Omega Sentinel- the figure could almost pass for a guy. She's definitely more curvy than that in the comics. I am glad that the team has brought back, at least a little, the Ms. Marvel/Rogue buck from back in the day. But they seriously need to expand their selection. Figures like She-Hulk, Thundra, Valkyrie etc need to be on bigger/taller bucks. Curvier characters like Storm, Emma Frost, etc need a figure to reflect that.

Last She Hulk body is amazing, I would assume Hasbro has digital version of this body in more naked state without Jeans and T shirt, so if they do it would be interesting to see them use it for Titania and other bigger females.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, SpiderS said:

Last She Hulk body is amazing, I would assume Hasbro has digital version of this body in more naked state without Jeans and T shirt, so if they do it would be interesting to see them use it for Titania and other bigger females.

Whew... I really didn't know where you were going with that sentence. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/26/2021 at 6:35 PM, SpiderS said:

Agreed 100%, it's a shame we don't have her good figure yet. and I think we already have parts ready for her, using moonstone body with silk head would easily top all existing figures. We could also wish for all new female martial artist type body, with good articulation, that would include double jointed elbows, of course all this having pin less system and sculpted on straps, which can be used for Elektra in the future, since their costumes are so similar. 

As much as I like that Silk head, Betsy deserves a brand new head sculpt.

They really should fix this Psylocke problem before they do a third repaint of that weak Apocalypse wave figure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

The latest Crossbones is a bit underwhelming given that it's on a horrible buck, I don't know if the Omega Red one would have worked but at least it wouldn't be 10 years old.

 

I've heard the Hasbro team say that they don't want to use the Omega Red body because of the holes in his torso for the shoulder pads, I gotta say that is a weak argument. The Hyperion mold, has a hole in the back for a cape and literally most figures on that buck do not come with capes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dabboi said:

The latest Crossbones is a bit underwhelming given that it's on a horrible buck, I don't know if the Omega Red one would have worked but at least it wouldn't be 10 years old.

Personally I love this figure except for the overly long neck which makes his head look small. Really wish there was a way to fix that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Dabboi said:

The latest Crossbones is a bit underwhelming given that it's on a horrible buck, I don't know if the Omega Red one would have worked but at least it wouldn't be 10 years old.

 

I've heard the Hasbro team say that they don't want to use the Omega Red body because of the holes in his torso for the shoulder pads, I gotta say that is a weak argument. The Hyperion mold, has a hole in the back for a cape and literally most figures on that buck do not come with capes.

This is all very accurate. I hate that mild so much man, I have been advocating for new bucks but hasbro for so long like its time for new bucks they kill me

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh man, I forgot how underwhelming the Grim Reaper figure is. His minimalist costume is such that he really depends on a great artist to make him look cool, so the figure has to be perfect in order to make him look cool, and this figure is... not perfect. The midnight blue/faux black is easily forgettable. His lack of physical definition could be enhanced with a cool cape, but this one is ridiculously thin and weak. And the scythe? I understand why they can't make it too sharp, but... for real, it looks like a kitchen utensil. Like a busted spatula or bottle opener. 

spacer.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/15/2021 at 2:37 PM, RyanDaly said:

Oh man, I forgot how underwhelming the Grim Reaper figure is. His minimalist costume is such that he really depends on a great artist to make him look cool, so the figure has to be perfect in order to make him look cool, and this figure is... not perfect. The midnight blue/faux black is easily forgettable. His lack of physical definition could be enhanced with a cool cape, but this one is ridiculously thin and weak. And the scythe? I understand why they can't make it too sharp, but... for real, it looks like a kitchen utensil. Like a busted spatula or bottle opener. 

spacer.png

 

I agree, but alot of Legends from that same era all look pretty cheap by todays standards. It's crazy how quickly and poorly they've aged.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/26/2021 at 6:20 PM, Atlantis said:

The Vision. CLASSIC Vision. While the "vintage" version had the best paint job, the body buck is really too small for the character.

The Vision wears standard old school superhero briefs, not "trunks"; they never did this before, so why they did it for his vintage look makes no sense. Then there are his boots. Why Legends can mold distinctive boots for the likes of Wolverine, Shatterstar, Thunderstrike, Nova (Groot BAF), etc. but can't/won't do standard boots that end in a point to the knee, like DC Essentials does, is just beyond me.

I am pretty sure we have discussed this in another thread before. But one more time for people in the back! Hasbro needs to sculpt boots and not cheap out and paint em. And give characters the appropriate bodys. One hasbro needs new molds the old ones they constantly reuse bucky cap., That Magento mold, hyperion, etc. Need to be replaced they are outdated. Hasbro has shown to use updated articulation that is vastly superior to these molds, like come on hasbro! Do better hasbro please.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, SUPREME007 said:

I am pretty sure we have discussed this in another thread before. But one more time for people in the back! Hasbro needs to sculpt boots and not cheap out and paint em. And give characters the appropriate bodys. One hasbro needs new molds the old ones they constantly reuse bucky cap., That Magento mold, hyperion, etc. Need to be replaced they are outdated. Hasbro has shown to use updated articulation that is vastly superior to these molds, like come on hasbro! Do better hasbro please.

Im generally happy with the current molds, but the slight tweaked that are on snake eyes make a real difference

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Hasbro needs to invest in at least 2 more different bucks for male characters, and at least one more for female characters, to give us proper variety. They would get tons of reuse. There needs to be an "athletic" but regular-height female buck for characters like Psylocke and Elektra, who are going to be lean and muscular, but not "buff" like She-Hulk, and not scrawny like the existing Hasbro Psylockes.


I HATE the most recent Legends Crossbones. That buck is terrible, and should be retired ASAP.  The torso is too short, and it has breasts. Not pecs, but breasts. Is that Robert Paulson from Fight Club under that mask...? A shame, because on a different buck, it had the makings of a great figure (Though I hate the "space pirate" guns they included with it).

RPaulson.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Mad Bubbler said:


I HATE the most recent Legends Crossbones. That buck is terrible, and should be retired ASAP.  The torso is too short, and it has breasts. Not pecs, but breasts. 

RPaulson.jpg

First that was funny. Secondly, the hyperion mold needs to be gone asap. Like doesnt make sense they have the nice ass Hercules torso and never used it again? I don't understand. And now they have a muscalr torso with better articulation with the Thor 80th. To me they need to retire like all of the outdated bucks with just the regualr.points of old hasbro articulation. I understand this sounds like an overhaul and it won't happen. But no reason why ML doesn't at least match articulation with hasbros other lines. Like come on they have made figures that do already with beast, retro spidey, and movie venom. Like continue that trend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, SUPREME007 said:

First that was funny. Secondly, the hyperion mold needs to be gone asap. Like doesnt make sense they have the nice ass Hercules torso and never used it again? I don't understand. And now they have a muscalr torso with better articulation with the Thor 80th. To me they need to retire like all of the outdated bucks with just the regualr.points of old hasbro articulation. I understand this sounds like an overhaul and it won't happen. But no reason why ML doesn't at least match articulation with hasbros other lines. Like come on they have made figures that do already with beast, retro spidey, and movie venom. Like continue that trend.

Don't forget about the Odinson/Unworthy Thor buck. It was basically the corrected version of everything that was wrong with the Hyperion buck. They used it on those two figures and pretty much abandoned it afterward. It would be perfect for a Classic Hercules.

Top 10 good characters done as bad action figures:

1. Pyro - this thing shoulda been on the Pizza Spidey buck without a doubt.

2. Silver Surfer - the Sunfire buck was far too small for the 6'4" Surfer.

3. Vision (MCU) - after years of waiting this figure was executed about 20% smaller than it should have been, and hasn't been corrected to this day.

4. Hercules - the upper torso is spot on but those twig legs killed the figure altogether.

5. Sasquatch - too short, too short, too damn short. No way in hell should that thing have come in shorter than the Toybiz figure.

6. Immortal Iron Fist - by far one of the best figures done on the old Bullseye buck it's time to redo this thing on the new Bullseye (Sunfire) buck.

7. Sandman/Absorbing Man - basically the same figure, both are way too big. I'm not exactly in agreement that the Hydro Man is the right one, but it's better than the current by a large measure.

8. Wrecking Crew - they all still look damn good, but are so outta scale it hurts to look at them. They all need redo on some version of the Odinson buck.

9. Warpath - another long awaited heavy hitter, he's not portrayed as all that large anymore, but the version of this character that the figure was styled after towered over both Cable and Omega Red. Good looking figure, but underside by a lot.

10. Extremis Iron Man - another victim of the "right before Hasbro got their isht together" syndrome, this thing was so thin and dainty they were actually able to repurpose the figure as the (female) Rescue armor for the Marvel Unlimited exclusive.

There are a ton of others like Caliban, Scourge and Cottonmouth, but those aren't what I would necessarily think of as "good" characters.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/20/2021 at 5:38 PM, monron999 said:

 

2. Silver Surfer - the Sunfire buck was far too small for the 6'4" Surfer.

3. Vision (MCU) - after years of waiting this figure was executed about 20% smaller than it should have been, and hasn't been corrected to this day.

4. Hercules - the upper torso is spot on but those twig legs killed the figure altogether.

5. Sasquatch - too short, too short, too damn short. No way in hell should that thing have come in shorter than the Toybiz figure.

6. Immortal Iron Fist - by far one of the best figures done on the old Bullseye buck it's time to redo this thing on the new Bullseye (Sunfire) buck.

7. Sandman/Absorbing Man - basically the same figure, both are way too big. I'm not exactly in agreement that the Hydro Man is the right one, but it's better than the current by a large measure.

8. Wrecking Crew - they all still look damn good, but are so outta scale it hurts to look at them. They all need redo on some version of the Odinson buck.

10. Extremis Iron Man - another victim of the "right before Hasbro got their isht together" syndrome, this thing was so thin and dainty they were actually able to repurpose the figure as the (female) Rescue armor for the Marvel Unlimited exclusive.

 

Ur right that Odinson torso was an improvement of the hyperion mold. And all of these inclusions are factual. Honestly the Sasquatch hurts me the most, they made him only a few years ago, but already needs to be redone. And I bought that entire wave and I never do that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...







Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!


Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE