My Thoughts On WandaVision Season 1 - Non-Spoiler And Spoiler Reviews

JayC

Your mutant theory could be possible... or maybe Inhumans. I figure that The X-Men will probably be an alternate universe thing, brought in in the multiverse storyline, but who knows.

I don't know why so many people seem to think the events of WandaVision make her villainous- it was all accidental. By that logic, Tony Stark and Bruce Banner are huge villains, because they created Ultron. Yes, she has some trauma to work through, and needs to learn how to control her powers, but I think she is a troubled hero, who will have some more trials and tribulations, and become a stronger, better person for it, versus being a villain.    

3 hours ago, The Mad Bubbler said:

I don't know why so many people seem to think the events of WandaVision make her villainous- it was all accidental. By that logic, Tony Stark and Bruce Banner are huge villains, because they created Ultron.

Wanda caused the anomaly by accident, yes. But she kept it going even after coming to the realization that its citizens were under her control. Using the Ultron comparison, Tony and Bruce didn't continue working with Ultron after creating him. (In addition to that, Tony was prompted to create Ultron by Wanda's manipulation, and she admits hexing Tony because she knew it would cause him to self-destruct, and on top of that, it's also established that the Mind Stone kick-started Ultron on its own and Tony and Bruce were nowhere near making Ultron functional at the time he went online)

2 hours ago, ADour said:

Wanda caused the anomaly by accident, yes. But she kept it going even after coming to the realization that its citizens were under her control. Using the Ultron comparison, Tony and Bruce didn't continue working with Ultron after creating him. (In addition to that, Tony was prompted to create Ultron by Wanda's manipulation, and she admits hexing Tony because she knew it would cause him to self-destruct, and on top of that, it's also established that the Mind Stone kick-started Ultron on its own and Tony and Bruce were nowhere near making Ultron functional at the time he went online)

Not arguing your analysis of Ultron, but in Wandavision--at absolute worst--Wanda had a vague understanding, for no more than a few days, that people were under her control. Again, she was recovering from a psychotic break. You don't go from full psychosis to full lucidity instantaneously. It was made very clear that she had no idea the extent to which she was affecting people until that final battle, and the entire time she was coming to terms with reality she was being bombarded with threats and distractions both from within and outside the hex. It would be comparable to Ultron if, during its creation, Tony and Bruce kept finding little flashes of insanity in its programming, but kept working on it for several days anyway, hoping to understand and/or repair the issues, but they also had Steve Rogers badgering them the whole time about how reckless they were being. Wanda knew something was up, but she didn't necessarily know what was up, how to fix it, or how it would affect her "family" if she did fix it, and was forced instead to deal with more immediate threats.

I don't think it's so much that her deeds were villainous, though I still think it will be portrayed that way.  I believe it is more of a tragic backstory setting her up to become a villain once again.  People forget she started in the MCU as a villain.  She has had some pretty bad luck follow her everywhere she has been.  Constant tragedy, some of which she was responsible for, accidentally or not.  She already got off easy for the Wakandans she accidentally murdered.  That is why there are charges like involuntary manslaughter.  She never did time for that crime, or the crimes committed while working for Hydra and then Ultron.  Eventually someone should notice that and decide it's time for her to pay.  She may decide she doesn't want to because 'tragedy', and then figures out she's stronger than any Avenger and will not come quietly.  Thus, making her the villain.

Don't know if this was touched on or not, but Agatha claimed that the Darkhold states the Scarlet Witch's powers exceeds the Sorcerer Supreme. Now we all know Dr. Strange is supposed to be the Sorcerer Supreme (in the comics), but is he at that point in the MCU. And is this going to be an issue in the upcoming Dr. Strange sequel?  Stay tuned!

If the WandaVision show taught us anything its that the writers enjoy bait-and-switch tactics, along with inept writing disguised as misdirection. We know theyre not  above bringing on subplots that they just drop later. So  Its possible that the Darkhold is referring to some one else as Supreme. Its also possible that Agatha is just wrong about Wanda being more powerful.  After all she did say the Scarlet Witch was going to destroy the world, and that's not gonna happen. Even if it did, remember, we've already endured Thanos and saw everything he did being undone, so a world destroyed by Wanda would just be restored at some point, which takes the drama out of everything. 

9 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Don't know if this was touched on or not, but Agatha claimed that the Darkhold states the Scarlet Witch's powers exceeds the Sorcerer Supreme. Now we all know Dr. Strange is supposed to be the Sorcerer Supreme (in the comics), but is he at that point in the MCU. And is this going to be an issue in the upcoming Dr. Strange sequel?  Stay tuned!

If the WandaVision show taught us anything its that the writers enjoy bait-and-switch tactics, along with inept writing disguised as misdirection. We know theyre not  above bringing on subplots that they just drop later. So  Its possible that the Darkhold is referring to some one else as Supreme. Its also possible that Agatha is just wrong about Wanda being more powerful.  After all she did say the Scarlet Witch was going to destroy the world, and that's not gonna happen. Even if it did, remember, we've already endured Thanos and saw everything he did being undone, so a world destroyed by Wanda would just be restored at some point, which takes the drama out of everything. 

Wanda could have more raw power that Steven but not as skilled. She did do better against Thanos than Stephen. Of course, that line of the Scarlet Witch prophecy could also just be Chthon boasting

I generally think that WandaVision was a novel,  though protracted, way of giving us an origin story of the Scarlet Witch. A slowburn on the start; with a lot of character anticipation due to second guessing who the antagonist is (Mephisto, anyone?). But, I just feel the 9 part series could've been condensed to a two to three hour movie and still arrive at the desired result. IMHO.

On 3/8/2021 at 7:00 PM, ADour said:

You're correct. I'm not sure why anyone who watched this is saying Wanda didn't really understand what she was doing because of this psychotic break. She continued to enslave these people, even after she realized what she had done. Even the writer herself says, "She (Wanda) did a terrible, terrible thing. You can argue in the beginning that she didn't know what she was doing, but once she truly knew what she was doing on a conscious level, she continued to perpetuate it for days. You can't entirely forgive her for that, but our goal with the show was to understand Wanda and Vision in a complete way. So I feel we have a complete picture of why she did what she did. That does not justify it; that does not make it okay. But we have empathy for her, and we were with her on the journey. So I don't think that she's off the hook, and it wasn't my intention to write it in a way that seemed like we could just forgive all of those sins."

The writer goes on to say she wanted Agatha to be the villain, not bring in Mephisto, but this is really why Mephisto would have been the better choice; if the Scarlet Witch had done all this under his manipulation/influence, we could still see her in a heroic light. Her violation of these people ranks right up there with the deeds of Purple Man.

I would like it much more if it didn't try to do so many misdirects in style of Mandarin from Iron man 3 all over again, this time with Pietro. Director confirmed that it intentional way of putting red herrings with so called Dottie being the key, weird over exposure on details and things that didn't even matter, be it mail man, insects, herb, commercial actors, Beekeeper, engineer, devil. This all  only fueled theories and disappointment for certain fans, while misdirects can be cool you should do them in order to make the better twist, not mystery that ends up being nothing important, which ultimately leads to most predictable final battle everyone could see coming from first episode. There's argument it was all about Wanda, which yes indeed is for the most part done in great way until the finale, where it feels rushed and unfinished, like some serious part of character development is missing, I personally think Vision had better character story arc overall than Wanda, maybe if they spent more time on Wandas further development instead of creating countless misdirect, they could nail it, but then again it's worth remembering that Marvel Studious wants for viewers to understand their movies without needing to watch supplemental material, so no serious changes rule could be mandated.