How do you feel about this 2 pack idea?

Dabboi

1 hour ago, tarot said:

He lost the name power man long before that #$## happened. In fact it was only a few years after he debut that the name went to Atlas.

Plus it's not like he uses the name, the current one is basically a legacy of Luke and Danny, who are cool with him having the name and have teamed up on numerous occasions with Victor Alvarez 

2 hours ago, tarot said:

He lost the name power man long before that #$## happened. In fact it was only a few years after he debut that the name went to Atlas.

He fought Erik Jolsten for the right to the "Powerman" name cuz both were sporting it & they had a fight were the loser would agree to give it up. Cage won the fight & the right to the name. Of course Jolsten went on to become the size changing Goliath & key member of the Zemo led Masters of evil III which is the best  incarnation of that team ever.

Interestingly, for the Ultimate Spider-Man animated series (which changes up a lot of things from the comics), teenage Luke Cage refers to himself as Power Man a lot. So, it's not like Marvel is against that name being used for the character, I think they just think it sounds less 'gritty' for a strong, smart, streetwise character to go around using it as his name. Back when he debuted years ago, though, when comics (particularly non-Marvel ones) tended to be whitewashed, and we weren't far removed from The Civil Rights movement, there was something, well... powerful... about calling an African-American character Power Man.

3 hours ago, mako said:

He was called Power Man for longer than that. They even used the name when he co-starred on Ultimate Spider-Man a couple years back.

A rose by any other name . . . is still a rose.

For the longest time I thought that power man in the ultimate spiderman was victor Alvarez, I just cant believe i have thought this for so long.

10 hours ago, SUPREME007 said:

For the longest time I thought that power man in the ultimate spiderman was victor Alvarez, I just cant believe i have thought this for so long.

I think it was really one of those cases where they pick and choose from a character's backstory. Sort of like how Bruce Timm combined elements of Barry Allen and Wally West to make the Justice League version of Flash.

In the case of Ultimate Spider-Man's Power Man they combine the look of Alvarez, the Luke Cage civilian name, and a sanitized origin swapping the prison background for SHIELD scientist parents.

• 2 months later...
On 3/7/2021 at 9:33 AM, tarot said:

Would make a great set for black history month next year. Luke cage was the first black person to headline his own comic so it would be great for this to come out for that.

Even aside from  black history month, it shocks me how Marvel basically just ignores the Falcon's importance to not only their comics, but comics overall. I keep hearing about Deadpool's 30th anniversary, Harley Quinn's 30th, etc but Falcon's been around for over 50 years, and he was the first American black superhero (Black Panther is from Wakanda).  Obviously he's clearly not as popular as those two but give the man his due. By the way I love the Legends figure we got of him. If I had any gripes, its that he could've used a better face and the figure should've been bigger; Falcon's supposed to be a big dude ( 6'2", 240lbs) but otherwise its a great figure. Cant wait for his classic 70s look.

Speaking of classic 70s and figures that need a do-over: Misty Knight. The goofed up eyeballs on the Rhino BAF wave almost ruined an otherwise good figure. My hope is that she is re-done, but this time full afro, no hairband; in a black ribbed short sleeve turtle neck (I know her top sleeves usually end at the forearm but I'd like to highlight her bionic arm) , jeans and knee-high black boots. I'd give her a set up like Moira has: removable black leather jacket, 2 arms for the jacket, one short sleeve normal arm and one short sleeve bionic arm (gold steel from bicep to fist instead of just the fist). Accessory of a removable brown leather shoulder holster with her trademark Colt Python. 

22 minutes ago, tarot said:

@Atlantis you really like bringing back old threads lol.

Atlantis is the king of the Necropost, he's like the great archive keeper, he always manages to find something to dig up, I love it, because it shows we don't need new threads half the time, someone probably already made a topic on it...

55 minutes ago, tarot said:

@Atlantis you really like bringing back old threads lol.

30 minutes ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

Atlantis is the king of the Necropost, he's like the great archive keeper, he always manages to find something to dig up, I love it, because it shows we don't need new threads half the time, someone probably already made a topic on it...

He's adhering to the spirit of Marvel Comics: no character stays dead, and no thread shall either. 

It's neither here nor there, but I want to mention that there were black superheroes in the 1940s that predate T'Challa, Luke Cage, and the Falcon by twenty-five years. These characters weren't published by the major outlets that eventually became Marvel and DC, but there were still many in the Golden Age. So when we describe someone as the first black superhero, or the first African American superhero, or the first black hero to star in his own book, we're talking about mainstream post-CCA comics.

3 hours ago, RyanDaly said:

It's neither here nor there, but I want to mention that there were black superheroes in the 1940s that predate T'Challa, Luke Cage, and the Falcon by twenty-five years. These characters weren't published by the major outlets that eventually became Marvel and DC, but there were still many in the Golden Age. So when we describe someone as the first black superhero, or the first African American superhero, or the first black hero to star in his own book, we're talking about mainstream post-CCA comics.

That's very interesting. I've heard of characters like Lobo, but he wasn't a superhero. I think there was a guy called Red Mask, but was he american?

I believe in the late 1940's there was an all black comic anthology book, written and drawn solely by african americans called ANC , had a character called Lion Man, and another named Ace Harlem who debuted in like 47, in the earlier 50s there was Waku put out by Atlas (now Marvel), who appeared in Jungle Tales.

6 hours ago, RyanDaly said:

He's adhering to the spirit of Marvel Comics: no character stays dead, and no thread shall either. 

You all dare to mock me, the One True Avenging Son?! You'll pay dearly for that! All of you shall tremble before my awesome power, you will grovel at my feet, I and I alone shall....

Hold on, I mustve been channeling classic Dr Doom there for a sec.

But ANYWAYS....what do you think of the idea for Misty? The separate set of arms and jacket? Sounds good yeah?

4 hours ago, Atlantis said:

ANYWAYS....what do you think of the idea for Misty? The separate set of arms and jacket? Sounds good yeah?

I'm in love with that idea and I would kill to get a Misty Knight as she appeared in Iron Fist and as one of the Daughters of the Dragon. Black turtleneck, shoulder holster. I love the idea of doing the Moira McTaggert thing of giving her alternating arms with jacket sleeves and a removable jacket. Perfecto! 

Hasbro might be able to reuse parts from Katy or Lady Deathstrike to make Colleen Wing too.

spacer.png

On 3/6/2021 at 8:01 PM, Dabboi said:

So, next year is the 50th anniversary of Luke Cage; he was the first Black comic book character to star in their own solo series, so he's pretty important.

To celebrate that; how would you feel about a Heroes for Hire 2-pack of 70s Luke Cage and 70s Iron Fist?

Luke cage 70's.png

Iron-Fist-Marvel-Comics-Daniel-Rand-Kai-d.jpg

Long Overdue! Make it a deluxe package with alternate heads & hands. And label it as "Powerman & Ironfist'!  Sculpt a shirt over the new 80s Herc buck, add the boots & done. Ironfist needs to utilize the Shang chi upper torso plus Sunfire lower body. 3 heads, Stoic, "screaming/yelling" head & unmasked Danny Rand head along with 6-8 pairs of MA hands. Powerman needs a mean closed mouth head sculpt & gritted teeth or yelling head sculpt, alternate grabbing hands & fist hands.