Jump to content

What Spider-Man Themed Marvel Legends Figures Might We See Later This Year?


JayC
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm not a huge Spider-Man fan but this wave looks pretty promising.  At the very least, I'll pick up JJJ and the Dr. Strange (who has been severely under-represented in ML for years).  

How good the wave sells will largely be dependent upon how good the movie is.  Far From Home was pretty awful and the only figure that sold well there was Mysterio.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm so down for a Morlun. Hopefully they do an Amazon set of the other Inheritors down the line too, or at least a deluxe Karn with his flying base thing. I heard somewhere that the final MCU figure in the wave is going to be Electro, which would be why they haven't shown him yet. Another previous movie figure would be interesting. Maybe Mysterio with better paint? I think it's likely we'll get that, just not in the wave, probably in a 2-pack with FFH Spidey or Night Monkey. Very curious what the BAF will be, they teased a Grizzly based on Ursa Major at some point, but I doubt they'd do that in the same year as UM. My guess is it's something MCU based, with Jonah in the wave and based on  rumors, we could even see a MCU Spider-Slayer BAF.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2021 at 10:40 AM, Virtualzach said:

I'm not a huge Spider-Man fan but this wave looks pretty promising.  At the very least, I'll pick up JJJ and the Dr. Strange (who has been severely under-represented in ML for years).  

How good the wave sells will largely be dependent upon how good the movie is.  Far From Home was pretty awful and the only figure that sold well there was Mysterio.  

Actually, it was only the BAF and comic figures that stuck around for a while. Spidey, Night Monkey and Mysterio all sold pretty well around my area at least, and from what I saw online.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm looking forward to this and I hope it's revealed soon. I'm not really sure though if every figure is gonna be a part of the wave, out of the ones that they showed..and I think I don't remember seeing JJJ in the leaked listings for the wave. Which for me is not a bad thing (well exclusives are not a good thing either for many of us, but they won't go away....) cause that way we could get someone else too and like they did with the vulture it could be from a past movie. Maybe a new updated Mysterio with a Gylenhaal head or even a Nick Fury and we need a good Nick Fury, but who knows we'll see

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2021 at 1:09 PM, Ironspider428 said:

Actually, it was only the BAF and comic figures that stuck around for a while. Spidey, Night Monkey and Mysterio all sold pretty well around my area at least, and from what I saw online.

Same. It was a popular film- I haven't heard many people complain about it. The Target-exclusive Spidey and MJ 2-pack seemed to sell pretty well, too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2021 at 10:07 AM, Ironspider428 said:

"...I'm so down for a Morlun. Hopefully they do an Amazon set of the other Inheritors down the line too, or at least a deluxe Karn with his flying base thing..."

I stopped reading Spider-Man years ago, so wasn't that familiar with Morlun; far as his story goes I'm kinda meh. But his look....they could use that as a base for classic Tomb of Dracula. They get to work on it now, they can have him ready (alongside Werewolf by Night, the Living Mummy, Frankenstein, Satana and maybe Lilith or the Simon Garth Zombie) for the Marvel Monsters Boxset for this Halloween. Only 3 months to go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2021 at 5:04 PM, Atlantis said:

they could use that as a base for classic Tomb of Dracula. They get to work on it now, they can have him ready (alongside Werewolf by Night, the Living Mummy, Frankenstein, Satana and maybe Lilith or the Simon Garth Zombie) for the Marvel Monsters Boxset for this Halloween. Only 3 months to go.

Next year is the 50th anniversary of the debuts of Tomb of Dracula, Werewolf by Night, and Ghost Rider (as well as Luke Cage and Adam Warlock).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2021 at 2:04 PM, Atlantis said:

I stopped reading Spider-Man years ago, so wasn't that familiar with Morlun; far as his story goes I'm kinda meh. But his look....they could use that as a base for classic Tomb of Dracula. They get to work on it now, they can have him ready (alongside Werewolf by Night, the Living Mummy, Frankenstein, Satana and maybe Lilith or the Simon Garth Zombie) for the Marvel Monsters Boxset for this Halloween. Only 3 months to go.

Is a Monsters Boxset rumored? I like the idea. A 6-pack with Dracula, WBN, Frankenstein, Mummy, Satana and Zombie would be nice. Most of those could probably work as repaints with new heads and overlay pieces, except maybe Mummy if they didn't go the lazy route with him. I do think we'll get another Dracula in the Blade movie line, but that would probably be either an MCU version or the modern armored look.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2021 at 4:04 PM, Atlantis said:

I stopped reading Spider-Man years ago, so wasn't that familiar with Morlun; far as his story goes I'm kinda meh. But his look....they could use that as a base for classic Tomb of Dracula. They get to work on it now, they can have him ready (alongside Werewolf by Night, the Living Mummy, Frankenstein, Satana and maybe Lilith or the Simon Garth Zombie) for the Marvel Monsters Boxset for this Halloween. Only 3 months to go.

I'm going to second this every time you say it.. make it so hasbro.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2021 at 1:30 PM, Ironspider428 said:

Is a Monsters Boxset rumored? I like the idea. A 6-pack with Dracula, WBN, Frankenstein, Mummy, Satana and Zombie would be nice. Most of those could probably work as repaints with new heads and overlay pieces, except maybe Mummy if they didn't go the lazy route with him. I do think we'll get another Dracula in the Blade movie line, but that would probably be either an MCU version or the modern armored look.

No, the monsters boxset is something I've been pushing for over a year now on this forum. Its not rumored or even thought about anywhere else.....I'd love to think though, that dropping hints like this will catch the ear of the Legends team. 

Most of these would require newish re-tooling, but I think most fans would agree, it'd be worth it. And yeah, making it a box set and something found on Pulse would allow them to go all out- a succubus's body, a Werewolf with a moveable jaw and lots of sharp white teeth, the hints of a rotted corpse behind filth ridden mummy wrappings, Dracula made as if Gene Colan willed him off the page....if they do it right, fans will be on this like flies on sh1t. I'm telling you right now, fans that never even heard of Marvel's monsters will want this. Hasbro Legends are sitting on facking gold here.  

And the topper.....don't even pre-announce it!. October rolls in and bam, its just there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2021 at 12:43 PM, watanabefan said:

The movie, while not my cup of tea (I hate all the Iron Man stuff they keep cramming into Peter's story), was well reviewed and grossed over a billion at the box office. So saying people hated it and the toys sold poorly as a result seems to be extremely anecdotal.

I don't recall anyone saying people "hated" the movie but it certainly wasn't as popular as the previous entries.  Heck, Spiderman 3 did well at the box office but is often panned and parodied.  The toys were (and some are still) easy to obtain at MSRP or below.  Trust me, I ordered the set from Pulse thinking I'd need to pre-order or be left in a lurch and then I see the things on Amazon six months later--all but Mysterio--at $15-18.  That's not selling well.  

Do you know what an anecdote is?  Ignoring the reality of a situation to try and sound "right" about something doesn't mean everything else is anecdotal.  It just means you don't want to be wrong, regardless of tangible facts.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2021 at 5:19 PM, Virtualzach said:

I don't recall anyone saying people "hated" the movie but it certainly wasn't as popular as the previous entries.  Heck, Spiderman 3 did well at the box office but is often panned and parodied.  The toys were (and some are still) easy to obtain at MSRP or below.  Trust me, I ordered the set from Pulse thinking I'd need to pre-order or be left in a lurch and then I see the things on Amazon six months later--all but Mysterio--at $15-18.  That's not selling well.  

Do you know what an anecdote is?  Ignoring the reality of a situation to try and sound "right" about something doesn't mean everything else is anecdotal.  It just means you don't want to be wrong, regardless of tangible facts.  

Me saying the movie grossed over a billion at the box office and received mostly positive reviews is also a "fact," so clearly the situation isn't as cut and dry as you're making it out to be.  Until someone has some solid data for me showing that the movie wasn't popular or that the toys didn't sell, I remain unconvinced on this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2021 at 3:32 PM, watanabefan said:

Me saying the movie grossed over a billion at the box office and received mostly positive reviews is also a "fact," so clearly the situation isn't as cut and dry as you're making it out to be. 

a) The movie wasn't as popular as most Spider-Man movies: fact

b) The toys didn't and continue to sell poorly compared to all other Spider-Man waves or single figures:  fact

In other words, you just cherry-picked one thing out of my post to focus on and cited box office performance in order to "prove" something.  What, I'm not sure.  But it didn't dispute either 'a' or 'b' above.  

You know what else grossed a lot?  Grown Ups, the Last Airbender, TMNT, The Smurfs, Transformers: AoE (made more than SM!), Jurassic World (also made more).  All of these movies sucked.  So, again, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make as it relates to my original post.  Except that maybe you just really liked the movie and can't believe that anyone didn't or that the corresponding toys didn't sell well (they didn't) so you're just grasping at straws.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A Monsters box set would likely need to be an Amazon exclusive or something. I remember the original Toy Biz one not selling well at all at retail. Our local Super Walmart had those on the shelves for what seemed like forever until they marked them down to 75% off - and it wasn't even that expensive to begin with, like $50 if I remember right for the 4-pack. The Young Avengers box set released around the same time was the same way though, so it might not have had anything to do with the actual "Monsters".  I think that the figures from both still hold up really well today and I still have all of them proudly displayed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2021 at 5:50 PM, Virtualzach said:

a) The movie wasn't as popular as most Spider-Man movies: fact

Until you have data to show me this, I'm gonna say citation needed again. Because the two actual quantifiable ways of gauging this, box office and reviews, do not paint this picture at all.

[QUOTE]b) The toys didn't and continue to sell poorly compared to all other Spider-Man waves or single figures:  fact[/QUOTE]

See above. If you've actually got data to back these up, I'm all ears. Otherwise I remain skeptical.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2021 at 3:56 PM, watanabefan said:

Until you have data to show me this, I'm gonna say citation needed again. Because the two actual quantifiable ways of gauging this, box office and reviews, do not paint this picture at all.

[QUOTE]b) The toys didn't and continue to sell poorly compared to all other Spider-Man waves or single figures:  fact[/QUOTE]

See above. If you've actually got data to back these up, I'm all ears. Otherwise I remain skeptical.

If you can't be bothered to use Google yourself or visit Metacritic, Rotten Tomatoes, etc. I'm certainly not going to do it for you.  Again, grasping at straws.  And now just plain lazy.  

As for the toys, half of the set can still be purchased in many places for below MSRP.  The others average around $30 in the secondary market, as opposed to 'Homecoming' set, all of which couldn't be found for less than $40 (except Vulture) two years after the movie and now all average around $60-70.  

For the record, I've already proven that box office numbers mean nothing (see above).  So the two quantifiable ways you mentioned are actually personal opinion and published reviews, depending on how much value you place on the latter.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2021 at 6:01 PM, Virtualzach said:

If you can't be bothered to use Google yourself or visit Metacritic, Rotten Tomatoes, etc. I'm certainly not going to do it for you.  

I did. Hence the topic.

[QUOTE]

As for the toys, half of the set can still be purchased in many places for below MSRP.  The others average around $30 in the secondary market, as opposed to 'Homecoming' set, all of which couldn't be found for less than $40 (except Vulture) two years after the movie and now all average around $60-70.  [/QUOTE]

That doesn't tell me they sold poorly, just that the Homecoming stuff is rarer, which makes sense given it's an older film. By contrast, a quick google search shows me that the toys that were ACTUALLY unpopular and sold poorly, like the Captain Marvel movie figures. orthe Gamerverse Avengers stuff, tends to come in significantly under the average retail price rather than at 25, 30 and 40 dollars.

[QUOTE]For the record, I've already proven that box office numbers mean nothing (see above). [/QUOTE]

Er, no, you didn't, actually. Something not being good and not being popular are two completely separate things. There are plenty of dumb things that are popular. The Bay Transformers movies were stupid as hell, but that does not mean they weren't popular in their heyday. 

So when Far From Home is successful at the box office and in reviews, I'm gonna repeat my previous point: citation needed on this. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2021 at 5:53 PM, Reno said:

A Monsters box set would likely need to be an Amazon exclusive or something. I remember the original Toy Biz one not selling well at all at retail. Our local Super Walmart had those on the shelves for what seemed like forever until they marked them down to 75% off - and it wasn't even that expensive to begin with, like $50 if I remember right for the 4-pack. The Young Avengers box set released around the same time was the same way though, so it might not have had anything to do with the actual "Monsters".  I think that the figures from both still hold up really well today and I still have all of them proudly displayed.

Yeah it's really unlikely they'd do such a thing at retail. However, with Blade getting a new movie in a few years, I could see them perhaps doing a wave for him where they slot in some of Marvel's other monster characters like Dracula or Frankenstein.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2021 at 2:53 PM, Reno said:

"...A Monsters box set would likely need to be an Amazon exclusive or something. I remember the original Toy Biz one not selling well at all at retail. Our local Super Walmart had those on the shelves for what seemed like forever until they marked them down to 75% off..."

I didn't say anything about retail, I said Pulse. Also you can't compare toybiz to what I'm envisioning Hasbro Legends capable of. Those figures had poor articulation, wonky joints, shoddy re-use of figures that were shoddy to begin with. A good effort, maybe they were ok for their time, but a Legends treatment today, with everyone working at their highest capacity, would just be no comparison.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...







Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!


Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE