Jump to content

What Spider-Man Themed Marvel Legends Figures Might We See Later This Year?


JayC
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 8/11/2021 at 4:10 PM, watanabefan said:

So then Far From Home is successful at the box office and in reviews, I'm gonna repeat my previous point: citation needed on this. 

No need to repeat yourself, we get it; you're still caught up in this tangent about the movie that now has nothing to do with the toys.  Because you can't possibly believe people didn't like the movie as much as you did.  Roger that.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2021 at 11:27 PM, Virtualzach said:

No need to repeat yourself, we get it; you're still caught up in this tangent about the movie that now has nothing to do with the toys.  Because you can't possibly believe people didn't like the movie as much as you did.  Roger that.  

Nah, I've said I don't care for the MCU's take on Spider-Man in general. I was just waiting for some data to back up the assertions made when all I can find in terms of solid numbers and data don't actually bear any of that out.  C'est la vie.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/12/2021 at 1:27 AM, Virtualzach said:

No need to repeat yourself, we get it; you're still caught up in this tangent about the movie that now has nothing to do with the toys.  Because you can't possibly believe people didn't like the movie as much as you did.  Roger that.  

I initially didn't want to chime in, but I'm genuinely both amused and confused here.

Is your argument that the movie wasn't well-received or that it wasn't popular? Because you start claiming that the movie wasn't as popular but then you "disprove" that box office earnings don't mean a movie is good, despite the fact that whether the movie is good or not doesn't really factor in disputing its popularity. A movie can still be popular even if it was bad, as you reflected with your examples. A film's box office earnings very much reflect their popularity. If a movie is popular, it gets watched. And Far From Home was the first Spider-Man movie to pass the 1 billion mark at the box office (x), and it was Sony's highest-grossing movie ever (x).

And moving into the film's critical and audience reception, Far From Home holds in Rotten Tomatoes 90% critic score and 95% audience score (x). In Metacritic it holds 69% critic score and 7.5/10 user score (x). In IMDb it holds 7.5/10. In CinemaScore, it has an A grade. In addition to that, it won or was nominated to several choice awards.

And somehow... thinking this movie did well is in the minority?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welp, all i can say is that i am still looking forward for that Doctor Strange figure and i do hope it is just a single retailed figure, since multi-packs have been so rough on me lately on pricing, deciding and finding, once the info is confirmed and once he is released of course

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Following our report yesterday about the next Marvel Legends Spider-Man themed wave, the folks at Fwoosh have seemingly dug up some new info on the wave.

We previously told you the wave would include No Way Home movie figures of Integrated Suit Spider-Man, J. Jonah Jameson, Doctor Strange as well as a Gamerverse Miles Morales figure from the new PS5 game and a comic book based Morlun.

The 7th regular release figure which we had no specific info on was originally listed to be a MCU based figure, but now according to Fwoosh will be a comic book based Shriek.

While we have nothing to confirm this, it makes sense that Hasbro might have switched things around changing the final figure in the wave from a MCU one to a comic book based one to avoid movie spoilers. It doesn't even appear the No Way Home movie will have any trailers released before premiering in theaters on December 17, 2021. With this wave being officially revealed by the end of this month, that final MCU figure originally planned for the wave was likely pushed to a future wave or some kind of single release in order to prevent SPOILERS.

We also still don't have any info on the Build-A-Figure for this wave, though I have seen some speculating it could be a new Man-Wolf comic based figure, something Hasbro has hinted to as possibly coming at some point. Again that is just speculation and we have no specific info for it at this time.

All should be fully revealed by the last week of August for this wave, so stay-tuned.

Shriek.jpg

Spider-Man-Wave-01.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2021 at 10:09 PM, ADour said:

I initially didn't want to chime in, but I'm genuinely both amused and confused here.

Is your argument that the movie wasn't well-received or that it wasn't popular? Because you start claiming that the movie wasn't as popular but then you "disprove" that box office earnings don't mean a movie is good, despite the fact that whether the movie is good or not doesn't really factor in disputing its popularity. A movie can still be popular even if it was bad, as you reflected with your examples. A film's box office earnings very much reflect their popularity. If a movie is popular, it gets watched. And Far From Home was the first Spider-Man movie to pass the 1 billion mark at the box office (x), and it was Sony's highest-grossing movie ever (x).

And moving into the film's critical and audience reception, Far From Home holds in Rotten Tomatoes 90% critic score and 95% audience score (x). In Metacritic it holds 69% critic score and 7.5/10 user score (x). In IMDb it holds 7.5/10. In CinemaScore, it has an A grade. In addition to that, it won or was nominated to several choice awards.

And somehow... thinking this movie did well is in the minority?

You're confused because we're talking about toy sales and watanabe has veered off on this tangent that exclusively about the quality of the movie.  I really couldn't care about the movie at this point--the toys didn't sell well.  When watanabe realized that they didn't, in fact, sell well, he continued to assert that the movie was great because...well, I have no idea?  Because he has nothing left to argue about?  This really all started when he chimed in claiming that people here said they "hated the movie" and asserted that the toys "did sell well".  Neither of which is true.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/12/2021 at 12:50 PM, JayC said:
Following our report yesterday about the next Marvel Legends Spider-Man themed wave, the folks at Fwoosh have seemingly dug up some new info on the wave.

We previously told you the wave would include No Way Home movie figures of Integrated Suit Spider-Man, J. Jonah Jameson, Doctor Strange as well as a Gamerverse Miles Morales figure from the new PS5 game and a comic book based Morlun.

The 7th regular release figure which we had no specific info on was originally listed to be a MCU based figure, but now according to Fwoosh will be a comic book based Shriek.

While we have nothing to confirm this, it makes sense that Hasbro might have switched things around changing the final figure in the wave from a MCU one to a comic book based one to avoid movie spoilers. It doesn't even appear the No Way Home movie will have any trailers released before premiering in theaters on December 17, 2021. With this wave being officially revealed by the end of this month, that final MCU figure originally planned for the wave was likely pushed to a future wave or some kind of single release in order to prevent SPOILERS.

We also still don't have any info on the Build-A-Figure for this wave, though I have seen some speculating it could be a new Man-Wolf comic based figure, something Hasbro has hinted to as possibly coming at some point. Again that is just speculation and we have no specific info for it at this time.

All should be fully revealed by the last week of August for this wave, so stay-tuned.

Shriek.jpg

Spider-Man-Wave-01.jpg

I definitely need both morlun and shreik. To me, both are essential new additions to the spiderman rogues gallery, morlun for his role in both the other and spiderverse/meggedon saga and shriek for the maximum carnage.

As for man wolf being the baf, while we do need an update to the toybiz version, I don't think he has to be a baf. Unless its one of the modern incarnations where is just a standard big werewolf, then the jackal mold would work for JJJ the third. (Jackal has only ever been used for himself which is weird.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/12/2021 at 8:01 AM, tarot said:

As for man wolf being the baf, while we do need an update to the toybiz version, I don't think he has to be a baf. Unless its one of the modern incarnations where is just a standard big werewolf, then the jackal mold would work for JJJ the third. (Jackal has only ever been used for himself which is weird.)

Yeah, I've long thought the Jackal's torso and arms could work for a classic '70s Werewolf by Night. Arms and legs could definitely work for a classic Man-Wolf, though I agree that's an odd choice for a BAF.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm completely down with a Shriek figure, and a Morlun figure, for that fact, but I have zero to no interest in any of those weird Spider-Man figures or other movie figures.

Firstly, from what the rumors are, the reason he ends up with a black suit (cuz the color gets sucked out of it, WTF?) is absolutely asinine, then he gets some sort of magic imbued suit from Strange. So he goes directly from his hoodie suit to an armor suit provided by Stark with webbing by Stark Tech and then in this movie he gets a suit fueled by magic provided by Strange. Whatever happened to Peter Parker, the inventor and boy genius, who built his own suit and web shooters and had to get by learning how to use his powers and his ingenuity? Hell, why does he even need powers at all? Why not just give him a damn Iron Man Armor and let him carry on his legacy that way? Why not just give everyone a frikkin suit? Oh yeah, they did that comics, but I'm getting off topic. The point is that the premise of how and why he got the suits is ridiculous on it's own, but the design of the figures are even worse. Stop trying to outdo the mediocrity of the last movie(s) and do stuff that works.

Second, even though I'm glad JJJ finally gets a movie figure it is unfortunate that they put him on the PeeWee Herman, 87 lbs soaking wet, MIA shoulders, bird arms and legs suit buck, cuz though I'm sure they'll tone it down for the movie, but anyone that's ever seen JK Simmons in other movies or in a T-Shirt knows that cat is absolutely jacked. Of course all that toxic masculinity will have to be eliminated so they'll probably just film him from the neck up or deep fake his face onto a 12 year old female's body.

Lastly, another Strange? Won't he get one in his own sequel movie? Oh yeah, I guess there will most likely be some major changes like the red on his cloak being crimson red in one movie to scarlet red in the other, or a 10 to 12 degree difference in placement of his sash between the two movies, so of course they need a figure for both movies. This Bullstuff is tiresome, hopefully they won't have a good BAF so I can bag on this wave too. My luck, it'll be something I actually want like Spider Slayer or Swarm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2021 at 1:40 PM, Virtualzach said:

 Far From Home was pretty awful

 

On 8/12/2021 at 7:51 AM, Virtualzach said:

 he chimed in claiming that people here said they "hated the movie" and asserted that the toys "did sell well".  Neither of which is true.  

hmmm.  seems like you're splitting hairs here. I guess technically saying a movie is pretty awful is not the same as saying people hated it.

on toys, the movie figures are all now well above msrp, some of the comic figures are below.  Although i will certainly grant that an underwhelming mcu BAF left mcu collectors little reason to buy the comic figs.

Probably safe to say this wave will be similar to most, with 1-2 that are hard to find and a couple that pile up after awhile. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/12/2021 at 6:51 AM, Virtualzach said:

You're confused because we're talking about toy sales and watanabe has veered off on this tangent that exclusively about the quality of the movie.  I really couldn't care about the movie at this point--the toys didn't sell well.  When watanabe realized that they didn't, in fact, sell well, he continued to assert that the movie was great because...well, I have no idea?  Because he has nothing left to argue about?   

Actually, I addressed the claim that toys didn’t sell well by pointing out on the aftermarket they either retained or are selling for more than their initial retail value, directly referencing toys that actually sold poorly like Captain Marvel or some of the box sets, which you can find for as little as half off the original price. You just directly ignored that response because it doesn’t fit your argument.

still waiting on the data showing the Far From Home toys actually sold poorly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/12/2021 at 8:13 AM, watanabefan said:

Actually, I addressed the claim that toys didn’t sell well by pointing out on the aftermarket they either retained or are selling for more than their initial retail value, directly referencing toys that actually sold poorly like Captain Marvel or some of the box sets, which you can find for as little as half off the original price. You just directly ignored that response because it doesn’t fit your argument.

still waiting on the data showing the Far From Home toys actually sold poorly.

Since you're so desperate for links that you're too lazy to look up yourself, here are a couple from the FFH set:

https://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-Marvel-Legends-Hydro-Man-Collectible/dp/B07Q4XCRMN/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=marvel+legends+far+from+home&qid=1628782380&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-Marvel-Legends-Spider-Woman-Collectible/dp/B07Q61WC1B/ref=pd_bxgy_img_1/139-0605727-1001029?pd_rd_w=wGiJg&pf_rd_p=c64372fa-c41c-422e-990d-9e034f73989b&pf_rd_r=11FARYR77MJV2DAPX2JX&pd_rd_r=4ff65a3d-5483-4b31-b9a2-e822732d19ea&pd_rd_wg=zGLGS&pd_rd_i=B07Q61WC1B&psc=1

This is just two from that wave at or below MSRP (and this is Amazon-lol).  You can also find them, as well as Scorpion and Doppleganger on sale or below MSRP at BBTS and/or Dorkside.  And forget about ebay...I can find all four there below MSRP accordingly.  So your claim is that "selling well" is two thirds of the wave selling at or below value two years after release of the movie.  With the others still available in the $30 range.  Compared to Homecoming which, as I pointed out earlier, are all now selling at 2-4x release price.  

You proceeded our discussion by telling others that the new wave are all going to sell like hotcakes "just because their Spiderman IPs".  And claimed the Shang-Chi line was discounted everywhere because the movie wasn't released yet.  So, now that I've done your busy work...do you still think this is "selling well" or are you going to go back to talking about the ticket sales?  According to your logic, these should all be $100+ in after-market by now, much less available at a discount.

 

EDIT:  Food for thought--Captain Marvel ($426+ million) received 'generally favorable' reviews as well but I can buy the whole wave new for $60.  Tell me more about how ticket sales correlate to toy sales.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@watanabefan and @Virtualzach This argument has gone on quite enough. I'm all for having heated discussions but not if it keeps going for days on end. 

Neither of you, or most fans for that matter, know the sales numbers for figures as they are never released to the public. Using store and online etailer as an example of pricing does not help either of your arguments as that is up to individual stores and companies as well as region to region, including from state to state or country to country. As such you really can't say if it sold well or not. So there really is no point in arguing over this because you are both right and wrongs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

But as I pointed out, its the comic figures that aren't selling well, not the movie figures which are all above msrp (even the double-packed spidey (OK, i'll grant that the molten man BAF probably sells at a lower price than most BAFs, although i'm not bothering to check). Presumably sales of comic hydro-man and spider-woman  aren't particularly influenced by the success of the movie, but sales of the movie figures could be, which is what you seem to be asserting when you wrote "Far From Home was pretty awful and the only figure that sold well there was Mysterio. "

If anything, the sales suggest that it would have been smarter for hasbro to make *more* figures in support of the movie, not less. particularly since they obviously spent some money on new parts such as hydro-man's arms & accessories, as well as scorpion's tail.

But as someone who collects both comic and mcu, i enjoy the mixed waves personally. For me personally, was happy to pick up Scorpion, Hydro-man, and mcu Mysterio.  I kept expecting Doppelganger to drop in price like 6-arm spidey but he never really did, alas.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/12/2021 at 10:41 AM, Virtualzach said:

This is just two from that wave at or below MSRP (and this is Amazon-lol). 

....You mean the comic figures that aren't from the movie? Because Amazon is where I got the data. FFH Spider-Man is at 54.99, Stealth Suit/Night Monkey Spider-Man is at 37.99 and Mysterio is at 35.99.  You deliberately left out the three figures that don't fit your point. Again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/12/2021 at 9:05 AM, watanabefan said:

....You mean the comic figures that aren't from the movie? Because Amazon is where I got the data. FFH Spider-Man is at 54.99, Stealth Suit/Night Monkey Spider-Man is at 37.99 and Mysterio is at 35.99.

But wait...if you look at Homecoming, Cosmic Spider and Moon Knight (both at $60) are selling for more than the suited Spidey figure ($38).  They were in the movie, right?  Oh wait...

Logic flawed.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/12/2021 at 11:15 AM, Virtualzach said:

But wait...if you look at Homecoming, Cosmic Spider and Moon Knight (both at $60) are selling for more than the suited Spidey figure ($38).  They were in the movie, right?  Oh wait...

Logic flawed.  

Er, no. The question was never are the Far From Home figures the most valuable figures in all of Legends. Bringing up that there are other, comic-based figures going for more is just you attempting to shift the goalpost. You keep screaming "facts!" well the fact here is that the Far From Home movie Legends are going for more than they were doing at retail, while figures that sold poorly wind up on discount and go for less. 

So no, none of that tells me the Far From Home figures sold poorly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/12/2021 at 9:23 AM, watanabefan said:

Er, no. The question was never are the Far From Home figures the most valuable figures in all of Legends. Bringing up that there are other, comic-based figures going for more is irrelevant to the topic at hand. You keep screaming "facts!" well the fact here is that the Far From Home movie Legends are going for more than they were doing at retail, while figures that sold poorly wind up on discount and go for less. 

So no, none of that tells me the Far From Home figures sold poorly. 

You need to make up your mind.  Either you're trying to point out that comic-based figures sell worse than movie figures or they don't.  Either ticket sales directly correlate to figure sales or they don't.  Either critic reviews dictate the success of figures or they don't.  You can't stick to one argument and pivot every time data is introduced that doesn't jibe with whatever 'point' you're trying to make.  

You're presented with multiple references and ignore 90% of them.  You just make random claims without providing evidence and then proclaim that the burden of proof (or disproof in this case) is on me.  This is standard Internet straw man BS that prevails most forums but I rarely see it here and call it out when I do.  At this point, it's entirely feasible (and likely) that you didn't buy the figures at release or recently or we wouldn't be having this conversation.  I did.  They were easy to pick up at $15 (all of them but Mysterio) six months after the movie.  And you can still buy the entire set for $155 at the BBTS mark-up.  

So, since the mod has warned us both now, I'll leave it at that.  But I would advise for future dialogue that you understand people are going to challenge you and, for the most part, just write you off when you fail to deliver on your claims.  That's what happened with multiple posters in this thread, not just me.  And learn to use the word "anecdotal" in the proper context.

Otherwise, have a good day.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/12/2021 at 11:29 AM, Virtualzach said:
On 8/12/2021 at 11:23 AM, watanabefan said:

 

You need to make up your mind.  Either you're trying to point out that comic-based figures sell worse than movie figures or they don't.  

I literally never said that all comic based figures inherently sell worse than movie figures. This is you attempting to move the goalpost again.

"Either ticket sales directly correlate to figure sales or they don't.  Either critic reviews dictate the success of figures or they don't.  You can't stick to one argument and pivot every time data is introduced that doesn't jib"

Er...when did I ever say any of those things didn't matter? YOU did that when I said that the movie had high box office and good reviews, which you claimed didn't matter because bad movies have good box office all the time (which, as other people have pointed out is two separate arguments; the claim was about the movie's popularity, not how good it was). 

I've cited the data several times now. As of right now, if we're talking "poularity" we have over a billion dollars at the box office plus the positive reviews that others have linked to. If we're talking the supposed failure of the toys, then I've pointed out that the aftermarket value of them has increased, not decreased, which is the case for Legends figures that don't sell well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...







Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!


Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE