What Could Have Been - X-Men And Teen Titans Action Figure Boxset

JayC

In a tale of what could have been, toy designer David Vonner who has previously worked at both Hasbro and Mattel recently revealed that years ago he purposed an idea of doing a Marvel, DC, Hasbro, Mattel SDCC collaboration where a action figure boxset would be created based on the classic 1982 Chris Claremont The Uncanny X-Men and The New Teen Titans comic book which was done as a cross-company publication between Marvel and DC Comics.

Dave didn't specify which company he was working for when he purposed the idea or for what scale, 6" or 4". He said the idea was to do the boxset as a San Diego Comic Con exclusive with all proceeds going to charity. He said the idea was shot down without blinking an eye, so its probably safe to say there was never much of a chance for this becoming a reality. Still I think most collectors of both DC and Marvel figures would have been pretty excited if such a thing every materialized. What do you think, is this something you would have bought?

X-Men-And-Teen-Titans.jpg

This is  a no-brainer. Of course this boxset would have been bought up, especially if they used the Hasbro Marvel Legends type of craftmanship (once the "charity" tag was dropped). They would have been able to command a high price and fans would have gladly paid it. That's at either 4" or 6" (but I wouldve preferred 6").

I remember this team up. It was at the height of both teams' popularity; the only drawback was the Walt Simonson art. I didn't care for it on this effort; would have much preferred to see Cockrum, Byrne, Perez or some combination thereof to handle it. Nonetheless its a good, fun, roll in the hay for comic nerd geekdom. 

11 minutes ago, Nosferatuman62172 said:

This would be a great set. Maybe someday Hasbro will get the DC liscence and it will be a reality. I know that's a big maybe.

There are tons of high demand characters in the Marvel lines that still dont have figures because Hasbro has to spread their workload on comics, mcu and gamerverse. I personally don't want them working on anything else that keeps them from finally getting around to those characters. 

28 minutes ago, sentinelofliberty41 said:

There are tons of high demand characters in the Marvel lines that still dont have figures because Hasbro has to spread their workload on comics, mcu and gamerverse. I personally don't want them working on anything else that keeps them from finally getting around to those characters. 

Hasbro getting the DC license wouldn't effect Marvel legends. They would have their own team, the same way The lightning collection, Transformers, Star Wars all have their own teams

This would have been an absolute dream.

This comic represents my first real exposure to the X-Men-- I had just started receiving a mail subscription (remember those?) for the New Teen Titans during those peak Wolfman/Perez years, and saw this sitting in the bookstore magazine rack and was drawn to it immediately. I remember being fascinated by the plot and all the characters, and even though I didn't really understand all the backstories involved or who Darkseid and Dark Phoenix were, it felt pretty self-contained and something that told a great story and wasn't just something I'd think of now as "fan service." I think I pretty much immediately signed up for a subscription to the Uncanny X-Men.

(And that X-Men subscription led to other Marvel comics, and within a couple of years I had dropped DC and I was reading as many Marvel titles as I could afford... so it all starts here!)

I've become a big Marvel Legends collector in the last few years, and the idea of having a set based off that comic is just incredibly appealing. I'm not surprised it's filed under "never going to happen", but still, just knowing that someone pitched the concept makes my inner child extremely happy.

That's pretty cool, I would have been interested, I would probably go nuts for this boxset if it was 6'', the only problem would be we'd have these stand alone DC figures in Marvel Legend style and probably never get any to go along side them, so there would be that oddity.

also if this boxset was to actually feature all of these characters it would cost a ton of dough, you have at least 2 BAF sized figures in Darkseid and Prof X and his Chair plus

Raven
Cyborg
Beast Boy
Kid Flash
Robin
Wonder Girl
Star Fire

Dark Phoenix
Cyclops
Nightcrawler
Storm
Colossus
Kitty
Wolverine

in US currency it would be about 340, and thats being kind a saying Darkseid and Prof are 30$, ooff!

Great crossover. I’ll throw AVENGERS/JUSTICE LEAGUE as a potential bomb shell box set. Granted, at least with the Teen Titans, there are a few more obscure characters that haven’t been done dozens of times already. 

The whole Teen Titans/ XMen team-up.. .. it never occurred to me that the XMen were supposed to be teens at the time of this crossover? For some reason, during my run of collecting comics from the mid 80s  to about 2015, I always perceived them as adults. Seems odd to team these two groups up.. 

10 hours ago, McHogan said:

Great crossover. I’ll throw AVENGERS/JUSTICE LEAGUE as a potential bomb shell box set. Granted, at least with the Teen Titans, there are a few more obscure characters that haven’t been done dozens of times already. 

The whole Teen Titans/ XMen team-up.. .. it never occurred to me that the XMen were supposed to be teens at the time of this crossover? For some reason, during my run of collecting comics from the mid 80s  to about 2015, I always perceived them as adults. Seems odd to team these two groups up.. 

The X-men were adults or in their late teens, while the Titans were largely older teens

I would definitely, definitely be in to this idea, especially if it was heavy on Legends-style Titans characters. Mattel and DC Direct have done some solid 6" figures, but most of them don't really mesh that well with Legends. I'm always up for well-done classic comic X-Men figures, but the huge draw would be Legends-style Titans. I think many people have a preference for Marvel or DC, but a lot of people (Like me), even with a preference, LIKE both, and would be up for Legends-style figures of at least the more iconic DC characters. 

6 hours ago, The Mad Bubbler said:

I would definitely, definitely be in to this idea, especially if it was heavy on Legends-style Titans characters. Mattel and DC Direct have done some solid 6" figures, but most of them don't really mesh that well with Legends. I'm always up for well-done classic comic X-Men figures, but the huge draw would be Legends-style Titans. I think many people have a preference for Marvel or DC, but a lot of people (Like me), even with a preference, LIKE both, and would be up for Legends-style figures of at least the more iconic DC characters. 

Yeah, I would love some DC Legends