Russell Dauterman Defines Mutant Fashion At The X-Men's Hellfire Gala

JayC

This June, the Hellfire Trading Company invites readers everywhere to the inaugural Hellfire Gala to announce the first team of Krakoan X-Men to the world and unveil the startling plans that mutantkind has in store for the Marvel Universe. The Hellfire Gala will unfold in issues of your favorite ongoing X-Men series as well as PLANET-SIZE X-MEN, a special double-sized one-shot. These twelve issues will all center around a single night that will go down in Marvel Comics history and while it’s too early to reveal the world-shattering steps mutantkind is about to take, one thing is for certain: the X-Men have never looked better. Some of Marvel’s best artists have delivered jaw-dropping high-fashion looks to make sure Marvel’s mutants are ready to show up and show out on their biggest night with designs that are about to become the envy of the fashion world.

Leading the initiative in creating these all new takes on “mutant fashion” is acclaimed artist Russell Dauterman. Revealed earlier today by Entertainment Weekly, the superstar artist has taken his already masterful depictions of the X-Men to the next level with twelve bold new designs for X-Men’s top A-listers including Storm, Cyclops, Jean Grey, and Emma Frost. These incredible pieces will grace the covers of all twelve Hellfire Gala tie-in issues as must-have variant covers throughout the month of June.

“X-Men costumes are one of my favorite things. As a teenager that’s what I would draw the most—doodles of an X-character in all their looks. So, I’m absolutely thrilled—designing costumes for the mutants is top-of-the-list, dream job stuff,” Dauterman told Entertainment Weekly. “The Hellfire Gala is unique and exciting for the X-Men, and this opportunity is really special for me—I tried to have that come across in the character designs. As Emma Frost said, ‘The whole world is watching us now. We must be nothing less than fabulous.’”

Incorporating real world high-fashion concepts with character history and even mutant abilities, Dauterman has turned out dramatic, unexpected looks that are unlike anything Marvel Comics has ever put to page. Here’s what the mastermind artist had to say about his inspirations behind these striking looks:

“My general thought was that the Gala aesthetic should be high-fashion X-Men costumes (mutant clothes), not high-fashion human clothes. So I looked at a lot of fashion reference, but tried to think, ‘What would the X-costume version of this be?’ The looks reference and take inspiration from couture by Alexander McQueen, Iris van Herpen, Balmain, Moschino, Givenchy, Versace, Gaultier, Gucci, and more. I also drew from the characters’ past costumes. When I started the project, I was on a Zoom call with the X-writers and editors—we talked about the general direction for the designs, and they sent me reference that they’d been collecting. That was a super helpful jumping off point that I built on with my own research.”

To hear more from Dauterman, including exciting insights into each individual piece, visit Marvel.com. Check out all twelve of his designs now and stay tuned tomorrow for more jaw-dropping Hellfire Gala cover reveals!

What do you think of the X-Men's new looks? Have a favorite Dauterman design? Let us know on Twitter with the hashtag #XMenHellfireGala!

On Sale 6/2
HELLIONS #12 ANGEL CHARACTER DESIGN VARIANT COVER by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN
MARAUDERS #21 EMMA FROST CHARACTER DESIGN VARIANT COVER by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN
X-FORCE #20 EMMA FROST CHARACTER DESIGN VARIANT COVER by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN

On Sale 6/9
EXCALIBUR #21 ROGUE CHARACTER DESIGN VARIANT COVER by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN
X-MEN #21 JEAN GREY CHARACTER DESIGN VARIANT COVER by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN

On Sale 6/16
NEW MUTANTS #19 RACHEL SUMMERS CHARACTER DESIGN VARIANT COVER by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN
PLANET-SIZE X-MEN #1 STORM CHARACTER DESIGN VARIANT COVER by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN
X-CORP #2 MONET CHARACTER DESIGN VARIANT COVER by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN

On Sale 6/23
S.W.O.R.D. #6 CAPTAIN BRITAIN CHARACTER DESIGN VARIANT COVER by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN
WAY OF X #3 EMMA FROST CHARACTER DESIGN VARIANT COVER by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN
WOLVERINE #13 KATE PRYDE CHARACTER DESIGN VARIANT COVER by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN

On Sale 6/30
X-FACTOR #10 CYCLOPS CHARACTER DESIGN VARIANT COVER by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN

EXCAL2019021_Dauterman_HellfireGalaDesign.jpg

HELLFIRE_GALA_Promo.jpg

HELLIONS2020012_Dauterman_HellfireGalaDesign.jpg

MARAUDERS2019021_Dauterman_HellfireGalaDesign.jpg

NEWMUT2019021_Dauterman_HellfireGalaDesign.jpg

PSXMEN2021001_Dauterman_HellfireGalaDesign.jpg

SWORD2020006_Dauterman_HellfireGalaDesign.jpg

WAYOFX2021003_Dauterman_HellfireGalaDesign.jpg

WOLV2020013_Dauterman_HellfireGalaDesign.jpg

XCORP2021002_Dauterman_HellfireGalaDesign.jpg

XFACT2020010_Dauterman_HellfireGalaDesign.jpg

XFORCE2019020_Dauterman_HellfireGalaDesign.jpg

XMEN2019021_Dauterman_HellfireGalaDesign.jpg

Of course Emma gets three.  Anyway, only Rachel's is horrific, not just from being an ugly design but also you would think she might want to shy away from her "Hound" look for a variety of reasons rather than glorify it.  That Warwolf pup is super cute though.

Storm looks excellent.  Jean also looks pretty good.  I think if you toned down Cyclops visor just a tad it would be perfect as a "formal" uniform.

Okay, I like a good costume redesign as much as the next guy, but you gotta be kidding me. I fully expect that this is just a one time style and fashion gimmick and these are not legit costume redesigns. Can you imagine them striking a pose on the battlefield. I don't know which would be creepier, them heading into battle with this gear or walking around Krakoa with it.

WOW!  I absolutely LOVE these!!!  It's awesome to see the characters will get dressed up for this one event.  I love every single look (though I'm not really digging Rachel's...except her boots are pretty cool).  And how fitting that Emma will apparently have costume changes throughout the gala.  All her looks are perfect for her.

“Humans of planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed.” The now iconic opening line from House of X #1, the start of writer Jonathan Hickman’s radical transformation of the X-Men franchise, foretold the incredible plans that mutantkind was about to unleash on the Marvel Universe. This June, the X-Men set out to change the world yet again at mutantkind’s inaugural HELLFIRE GALA.

Yesterday, the first of many exciting new character designs X-Men artists have contributed specifically for the HELLFIRE GALA were revealed by Entertainment Weekly, and the world saw the meaning of “Mutant Fashion” as envisioned by superstar artist Russell Dauterman. Today, readers can check out the covers of all 12 HELLFIRE GALA issues, getting their first glimpse at the secrets, the battles, and of course, the fashion that await at this unforgettable evening.

These highly-anticipated stories will be told across 12 issues, offering different perspectives and viewpoints of a single night that will go down in Marvel Comics history. Throughout the event, fans can expect critical moments to occur that will shape the X-Men’s future as we know it—including the unveiling of the first Krakoan X-Men team, the final member of which was decided by a mega-popular Marvel.com vote.

The HELLFIRE GALA is the result of an epic creative collaboration of all the current X-Men writers and artists. Here’s what Gerry Duggan, writer of Marauders and the upcoming seminal HELLFIRE GALA one-shot, Planet-Size X-Men, had to say about working on this one-of-a-kind event:

“As the builders of Krakoa began discussing the gala within the pages of Marauders and beyond, the writers and editors began noodling on what the evening could be. At our X-Retreat just over a year ago in Chicago we had some very large story ideas and production plans that were ratified to give our artists the time they needed to collaborate on the designs. Russell has been an important part of the Marauders team from the beginning, and it only made sense to ask that he lead the way. The writers jammed on very simple prompts for a few of the looks, but by and large each character was a blank slate for Russell and our other artists. Our regular series artists were also asked to contribute around a half dozen high fashions, so if you don't see your favorite character on a cover, you'll likely see them at the party.

“We haven't sent any of these books to press yet, but I know we've already left a giant mark on the line with this party. The White Queen and House Carnation set out to create a special evening like no other, and it's going to make any other galas you might hear about look like a county fair. Not that it's a contest, but...Krakoa wins. The whole world's watching us now, so we must be nothing less than fabulous.”

Check out the covers and solicit text for all 12 tie-ins now and stay tuned for even more exciting news about the HELLFIRE GALA, including additional designs, variants covers, and more!

On Sale 6/2
HELLIONS #12
Written by ZEB WELLS
Art and Cover by STEPHEN SEGOVIA
WHO INVITED THE HELLIONS TO THE HELLFIRE GALA?
Who thought it was a good idea to invite the antisocial HELLIONS to the fanciest bash of the year? Oh, no one? They weren’t invited but they showed up anyway? Yeah, that sounds about right.

MARAUDERS #21
Written by GERRY DUGGAN & CHRIS CLAREMONT
Art by MATTEO LOLLI & JOHN BOLTON
WELCOME TO THE HELLFIRE GALA!
The Hellfire Trading Company has put together the biggest event of the season – the very first HELLFIRE GALA! Everyone will be there – all your favorite mutants, their closest allies…even their worst enemies – for a night of dinner, drinks, diplomacy and deceit. Fireworks to follow. Plus: From the archives, a classic X-Men tale with our very first look at a Hellfire Gala by Chris Claremont and John Bolton!

X-FORCE #20
Written by BENJAMIN PERCY
Art and Cover by JOSHUA CASSARA
INVITE-ONLY TO THE HELLFIRE GALA!
It’s party time, but somebody’s got to work it. And when invited guests (and a few crashers) prove to be planted antagonistic agents, X-FORCE will need to get their hands dirty and keep this all under wraps…before anyone catches wind!

On Sale 6/9
EXCALIBUR #21
Written by TINI HOWARD
Art by MARCUS TO
Cover by MAHMUD ASRAR
RICTOR HATES PARTIES.
Even the nice ones. And with Captain Britain’s return to a changed world, this one is looking to be not so nice. Excalibur’s Earth-shattering HELLFIRE GALA issue will change Krakoan diplomacy forever.

X-MEN #21
Written by JONATHAN HICKMAN
Art by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN, NICK DRAGOTTA, SARA PICHELLI & LUCAS WERNECK
Cover by LEINIL FRANCIS YU
THE HEROES OF KRAKOA DEBUT!
It’s a changing if the guard as the first X-Men team of Krakoa debuts! One era ends as a new one begins, and the handoff happens here.

On Sale 6/16
NEW MUTANTS #19
Written by VITA AYALA
Art by ALEX LINS
Cover by MARTIN SIMMONDS
AND I’LL CRY IF I WANT TO…
The HELLFIRE GALA is here, and the NEW MUTANTS have the chance to take a break from training the youth of Krakoa – an opportunity to get dressed up and get down. But not everyone is on their best behavior…and someone has vanished without a trace.

PLANET-SIZE X-MEN #1
Written by GERRY DUGGAN
Art and Cover by PEPE LARRAZ
Variant Cover by PEPE LARRAZ
THEY CAME TO SLAY!
The HELLFIRE GALA rages on, but bigger things are afoot a world away. Make no mistake – this is an X-Men book drawn by superstar artist Pepe Larraz. It is absolutely the most important issue of the month.

X-CORP #2
Written by TINI HOWARD
Art by ALBERTO FOCHE
Cover by DAVID AJA
A SHARK IN THE WATER!
After X-CORP’s shocking debut, they’ve got fences to mend, hands to shake and most importantly – a board to staff. With Dr. Jamie Madrox’s top-class dupes staffing the HELLFIRE GALA, CXOs Monet and Angel must stalk the dance floor and hope they don’t get preyed on themselves.

On Sale 6/23
S.W.O.R.D. #6
Written by AL EWING
Art and Cover by VALERIO SCHITI
THIS IS WHAT COMES NEXT.
On Earth, the HELLFIRE GALA is in full swing. But on S.W.O.R.D. Station One, a very different guest list comes together…as Abigail Brand finally unveils her plans for Mysterium – and the future of human and mutantkind.

WAY OF X #3
Written by SI SPURRIER
Art by BOB QUINN
Cover by GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI
MAKE MORE MUTANTS.
It’s the Hellfire Gala hangover. Nightcrawler tries to root out the evil working to destroy Krakoa by investigating all its laws, starting with… **SEXY SAXOPHONE SOLO**

WOLVERINE #13
Written by BENJAMIN PERCY
Art by SCOT EATON
Cover by ADAM KUBERT
HELLFIRE COMPROMISED!
Can WOLVERINE and X-FORCE keep the peace or is the gala doomed?

On Sale 6/30
X-FACTOR #10
Written by LEAH WILLIAMS
Art by DAVID BALDEÓN
Cover by IVAN SHAVRIN
THE LAST DANCE!
At the Hellfire Gala, SECRETS WILL BE REVEALED! VENGEANCE WILL BE HAD. And someone’s number is up. You’ll never guess whose.

EXCAL2019021_cov.jpg

HELLIONS2020012.jpg

MARAUDERS2019021_cov.jpg

NEWMUT2019019_cov.jpg

PSXMEN2021001_Larraz_var.jpg

SWORD2020006_cov.jpg

WAYOFX2021003_Cov.jpg

WOLV2020013_cvr_col.jpg

XCORP2021002_cvr.jpg

XFACT2020010_Cov.jpg

XFORCE2019020_cov_COL.jpg

XMEN2019021_cov.jpg

8 hours ago, monron999 said:

Okay, I like a good costume redesign as much as the next guy, but you gotta be kidding me. I fully expect that this is just a one time style and fashion gimmick and these are not legit costume redesigns. Can you imagine them striking a pose on the battlefield. I don't know which would be creepier, them heading into battle with this gear or walking around Krakoa with it.

Even if you skim through the press release of these covers you should get the idea that these are just outfits for a fancy gala the X-Men are holding. They're not super hero costumes.

51 minutes ago, ADour said:

Even if you skim through the press release of these covers you should get the idea that these are just outfits for a fancy gala the X-Men are holding. They're not super hero costumes.

Ya, I got that. It's just there are actually a few of them that look like they might be halfway functional. Storm and Jean and Psylocke (very reminiscent of her original costume) look pretty passable.