Jump to content

Russell Dauterman Defines Mutant Fashion At The X-Men's Hellfire Gala


Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, JayC said:

PLANET-SIZE X-MEN #1
Art and Cover by PEPE LARRAZ
Make no mistake – this is an X-Men book drawn by superstar artist Pepe Larraz. It is absolutely the most important issue of the month.

PSXMEN2021001_Larraz_var.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

This cover I really like. Might pick this up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, a fashion gala is too goof-ball for the X-Men. Marvel should return to something more grounded, like that time they fought a BDSM club, or that one time Cyclops got on with a girl that looked ex

You really think 25+ years of declining comics sales is attributable to anything as small and specific as "they did some interesting High Fashion-y outfits for a gala plotline in the X-books"?

Eh. I still stand by my point. It's a dumb idea.

Posted Images

21 hours ago, Jeddostotle7 said:

You really think 25+ years of declining comics sales is attributable to anything as small and specific as "they did some interesting High Fashion-y outfits for a gala plotline in the X-books"?

No, I don't but things like this aren't helping matters.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sentinelofliberty41 said:

No, I don't but things like this aren't helping matters.

Yeah, man. I'm sure sales are gonna tank because Marvel decided to slap some Met Gala outfits on the X-Men There's something funny about you saying stuff like that when this era of the X-Men has been selling like crazy and brought the X-Men back to the spotlight. But let's ignore that when we can pretend some silly outfits will bring the end of comics as a medium.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Jeddostotle7 said:

You really think 25+ years of declining comics sales is attributable to anything as small and specific as "they did some interesting High Fashion-y outfits for a gala plotline in the X-books"?

Actually . . . yes. At least when goof-ball plots like that are the norm instead of the exception nowadays.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mako said:

Actually . . . yes. At least when goof-ball plots like that are the norm instead of the exception nowadays.

Yeah, a fashion gala is too goof-ball for the X-Men. Marvel should return to something more grounded, like that time they fought a BDSM club, or that one time Cyclops got on with a girl that looked exactly like his dead wife and turned out to be a clone. Maybe have Wolverine lose his nose again. Why not have Professor X's time-travelling son try to get on with his own mother? Why not explore a castle full of leprechauns? Maybe have Cyclops psychically cheat on Jean Grey with Emma Frost.

Pffft.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ADour said:

Yeah, man. I'm sure sales are gonna tank because Marvel decided to slap some Met Gala outfits on the X-Men There's something funny about you saying stuff like that when this era of the X-Men has been selling like crazy and brought the X-Men back to the spotlight. But let's ignore that when we can pretend some silly outfits will bring the end of comics as a medium.

 

7 hours ago, ADour said:

Yeah, a fashion gala is too goof-ball for the X-Men. Marvel should return to something more grounded, like that time they fought a BDSM club, or that one time Cyclops got on with a girl that looked exactly like his dead wife and turned out to be a clone. Maybe have Wolverine lose his nose again. Why not have Professor X's time-travelling son try to get on with his own mother? Why not explore a castle full of leprechauns? Maybe have Cyclops psychically cheat on Jean Grey with Emma Frost.

Pffft.

You're basically saying exactly what I am in your second comment. I don't disagree that X-Men is doing better than it has in years but it's crazy material like this and other Marvel books that has hurt sales for so many years. A fashion gala? Seriously? I don't know anyone who looks for that in their comics just as much as leprechauns or any of the other examples you mentioned. I stand by my statement that yes, things like this are why comics are at record lows.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, sentinelofliberty41 said:

 

You're basically saying exactly what I am in your second comment. I don't disagree that X-Men is doing better than it has in years but it's crazy material like this and other Marvel books that has hurt sales for so many years. A fashion gala? Seriously? I don't know anyone who looks for that in their comics just as much as leprechauns or any of the other examples you mentioned. I stand by my statement that yes, things like this are why comics are at record lows.

But, but, but, virtually all of his examples were plot-lines from the 70s and 80s! What era are we pining for if all those examples were legitimate arguments for the downfall of the comic art form? He was saying that comics, and especially X-Men comics, have always been full of goofy nonsense, even during the eras that everyone agrees were awesome. I don't see what makes this any worse, despite having no interest in fashion personally. Or are we all absolutely sure the X-babies were a better idea?

It all comes down to the writing, which has frankly been pretty consistently excellent for the last year or two, as well as at various other times in the last 20 odd years. What Marvel has legitimately been bad at is engaging younger readers, which is why their sales are suffering. They let their audience grow up and are now dealing with the consequences of trying to cater primarily to increasingly grouchy Gen-Xers. In other words, there's nowhere to go but down. The nostalgia market doesn't have a lot of growth potential, it turns out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, sentinelofliberty41 said:

You're basically saying exactly what I am in your second comment. I don't disagree that X-Men is doing better than it has in years but it's crazy material like this and other Marvel books that has hurt sales for so many years. A fashion gala? Seriously? I don't know anyone who looks for that in their comics just as much as leprechauns or any of the other examples you mentioned. I stand by my statement that yes, things like this are why comics are at record lows.

It's a fashion show for Christ's sake. It sounds so self-serious to act like this is some shark jumping stunt. And the storyline will obviously not be 20 pages of mutants walking down the runaway. Did you even read the solicits that clearly show the gala is a backdrop for the political and internal intrigue of the current X-books? You don't need to answer, it was a rhetorical question.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wanted to get this variants, asked my local comic book store and they said it is an incentive variant 1:50 (distribution number)....it will be expensive to complete all of those covers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ADour said:

It's a fashion show for Christ's sake. It sounds so self-serious to act like this is some shark jumping stunt. And the storyline will obviously not be 20 pages of mutants walking down the runaway. Did you even read the solicits that clearly show the gala is a backdrop for the political and internal intrigue of the current X-books? You don't need to answer, it was a rhetorical question.

Eh. I still stand by my point. It's a dumb idea.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2021 at 1:23 AM, Benn said:

But, but, but, virtually all of his examples were plot-lines from the 70s and 80s! What era are we pining for if all those examples were legitimate arguments for the downfall of the comic art form? He was saying that comics, and especially X-Men comics, have always been full of goofy nonsense, even during the eras that everyone agrees were awesome. I don't see what makes this any worse, despite having no interest in fashion personally. Or are we all absolutely sure the X-babies were a better idea?

It all comes down to the writing, which has frankly been pretty consistently excellent for the last year or two, as well as at various other times in the last 20 odd years. What Marvel has legitimately been bad at is engaging younger readers, which is why their sales are suffering. They let their audience grow up and are now dealing with the consequences of trying to cater primarily to increasingly grouchy Gen-Xers. In other words, there's nowhere to go but down. The nostalgia market doesn't have a lot of growth potential, it turns out.

Well, personally, nostalgia isn't really a factor for me; I just like good storytelling. My absolute favorite comics run of all time is Mark Gruenwald's Captain America and while it is magnificent, the dude made Cap a werewolf at one point for crying out loud. You're absolutely right, comics have always done goofy things and Cap-Wolf is just as cringe to me as a fashion show. And yes, I know it'll pass, it's just another hick-up in an otherwise good run but in the meantime, I'm going to think it's dumb and my original statement of stupid writing hurting sales is 100% valid in my eyes as it seems like this kind of weirdness keeps popping up in modern books.

Also, I do agree with you that aiming solely at adults has made a huge dent. Between shifting the books tonally towards adults only while also catering to film goers with some of the continuity changes, Marvel has done a lot of damage in the past few years. I've tried to get younger family members into the books and instead of having fun they just ask questions and become frustrated because the books were a bit too complex so they just gave up on them. That's extremely sad to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Best outfit in this bunch is colossus..understand x-force handles security however i wish they added more design to the black..it is like hasbro marvel legends plain black body professor x figure

Screenshot_20210501-060638_Instagram.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems magneto is the best dressed here..interesting that both he and professor x has somewhat matching white outfits...have yet to determine if Apocalypse is coming to the gala...seems busy to be back with his family?

Screenshot_20210501-060524_Instagram.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

This June, fans everywhere are invited to the Hellfire Gala, a first-of-its-kind crossover told across twelve issues, offering different perspectives and viewpoints of a single night that will go down in Marvel Comics history. Throughout the event, fans can expect critical moments to occur that will shape the X-Men’s future as we know it including the first Krakoan X-Men team’s debut, mutantkind’s planet-sized plans for the Marvel Universe, bold new directions for the most popular X-Men, surprise party crashers, and of course, high fashion looks crafted by some of the hottest artists in the industry.

Leading the initiative in creating these all new takes on “mutant fashion” is acclaimed artist Russell Dauterman. The superstar artist has taken his already masterful depictions of the X-Men to the next level with bold high fashion designs. These incredible looks will grace the covers of all twelve Hellfire Gala tie-in issues as must-have design variant covers as well as one gorgeous connecting piece that shows the X-Men’s top A-listers including Storm, Cyclops, Jean Grey, and Emma Frost walking down the green carpet, ready to show the world why mutantkind is the future.

“X-Men costumes are one of my favorite things. As a teenager that’s what I would draw the most—doodles of an X-character in all their looks. So, I’m absolutely thrilled—designing costumes for the mutants is top-of-the-list, dream job stuff,” Dauterman told Entertainment Weekly. “The Hellfire Gala is unique and exciting for the X-Men, and this opportunity is really special for me—I tried to have that come across in the character designs. As Emma Frost said, ‘The whole world is watching us now. We must be nothing less than fabulous.’”

Collect all twelve Dauterman Connecting Covers when the Hellfire Gala begins this June!

On Sale 6/2
MARAUDERS #21 (APR210749)
Written by GERRY DUGGAN & CHRIS CLAREMONT
Art by MATTEO LOLLI & JOHN BOLTON
Dauterman Connecting Variant Cover by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN (APR210754)

X-FORCE #20 (APR210756)
Written by BENJAMIN PERCY
Art and Cover by JOSHUA CASSARA
Dauterman Connecting Variant Cover by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN (APR210758)

HELLIONS #12 (APR210760)
Written by ZEB WELLS
Art and Cover by STEPHEN SEGOVIA
Dauterman Connecting Variant Cover by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN (APR210762)

On Sale 6/9
EXCALIBUR #21 (APR210764)
Written by TINI HOWARD
Art by MARCUS TO
Cover by MAHMUD ASRAR
Dauterman Connecting Variant Cover by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN (APR210766)

X-MEN #21 (APR210768)
Written by JONATHAN HICKMAN
Art by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN, NICK DRAGOTTA, SARA PICHELLI & LUCAS WERNECK
Cover by LEINIL FRANCIS YU
Dauterman Connecting Variant Cover by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN (APR210770)

On Sale 6/16
PLANET-SIZE X-MEN #1 (APR210742)
Written by GERRY DUGGAN
Art and Cover by PEPE LARRAZ
Dauterman Connecting Variant Cover by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN (APR210747)

NEW MUTANTS #19 (APR210779)
Written by VITA AYALA
Art by ALEX LINS
Cover by MARTIN SIMMONDS
Dauterman Connecting Variant Cover by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN (APR210781)

X-CORP #2 (APR210775)
Written by TINI HOWARD
Art by ALBERTO FOCHE
Cover by DAVID AJA
Dauterman Connecting Variant Cover by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN (APR210777)

On Sale 6/23
WOLVERINE #13 (APR210787)
Written by BENJAMIN PERCY
Art by SCOT EATON
Cover by ADAM KUBERT
Dauterman Connecting Variant Cover by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN (APR210791)

S.W.O.R.D. #6 (APR210783)
Written by AL EWING
Art and Cover by VALERIO SCHITI
Dauterman Connecting Variant Cover by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN (APR210785)

WAY OF X #3 (APR210794)
Written by SI SPURRIER
Art by BOB QUINN
Cover by GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI
Dauterman Connecting Variant Cover by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN (APR210796)

On Sale 6/30
X-FACTOR #10 (APR210798)
Written by LEAH WILLIAMS
Art by DAVID BALDEÓN
Cover by IVAN SHAVRIN
Dauterman Connecting Variant Cover by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN (APR210800)

Excalibur.jpg

HELLFIRE_GALA_connected_cover.jpg

Hellions.jpg

Marauders.jpg

NewMutants.jpg

PlanetSizeXMen.jpg

Sword.jpg

WayOfX.jpg

Wolverine.jpg

XCorp.jpg

XFactor.jpg

XForce.jpg

XMen.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2021 at 8:16 PM, Emnems80 said:

I wonder if the Legends team is chomping at the bit to make some of these designs.

I'm about 99% certain the whole reason for this is so they can make toys.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Hordak Rules said:

I'm about 99% certain the whole reason for this is so they can make toys.

I'm about 99% certain this crap-fest was conceived shortly after Marvel discontinued mandatory drug-testing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Hordak Rules said:

I'm about 99% certain the whole reason for this is so they can make toys.

Half of the designs are for characters that we still don't have in plastic form which would be a FU to us especially since some don't have a chance of getting made again: Synch, Sage, Kid Omega, Mercury, Loa, Pixie, Exodus, Monet, etc.. especially with the X-Men movies coming soon, and that will lower the amount of comic X characters we would get soon

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...







Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!


Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE