Black Widow Hitting Theaters and Disney+ Now On July 9

JayC

Update: The additional fee is expected to be $30 to watch the movie on Disney+. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings which was going to debut in July has now been pushed to September 3. At this time Shang-Chi is expected to have a normal theater release and not be released on Disney+ at the same time. Only time will tell if that changes or not.

1 minute ago, JayC said:

Update: The additional fee is expected to be $30 to watch the movie on Disney+. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings which was going to debut in July has now been pushed to September 3. At this time Shang-Chi is expected to have a normal theater release and not be released on Disney+ at the same time. Only time will tell if that changes or not.

I'd pay 20 no questions asked but 30 dollars is a bit steep.   Were all the premium movies 30?

Hm... as hopeful vaccination makes me feel it's also clear that europe and uk had enacted and/or prolonged their lockdowns,  so I will be cautiously optimistic about seeing this movie in cinema, locally my city cinemas are opening on April 1st, yet hopefully it won't be jinxed, it's been over a year since I've visited cinema. 

Oookay. ScarJo is just cute as a button, but 30 bucks to catch her on Disney+? Sure, I'd spend 30 bucks to see it in the theaters, but at least that includes popcorn, Raisenettes, and a coke big enough to sail home in.

Yeah, no. I'll probably wait and pick it up on Blu-Ray for $20, or more likely, wait a couple months and catch it on D+ for free.

16 minutes ago, Inspection12e said:

I'd pay 20 no questions asked but 30 dollars is a bit steep.   Were all the premium movies 30?

I think the assumption is that you're likely to have two or more people gathering in the living room to watch.  Yeah, that is definitely steep, but by the same token you can't take your family to the movies for $30.  Heck, you can't even do two for $30.  Plus no sticky floors, no screaming children, and I can pause while my wife inexplicably has to pee again even though she just went half an hour ago.

This is the future.  This is where and when the precedents are going to be set.

Okay, I'm gonna say it. Why on Earth can Warner Bros. release ALL of their films on HBO Max FOR NO EXTRA COST and Disney, who made nearly double what WB did last year during a worldwide pandemic, can't release even the majority of their movies on Disney+, for any price. Premier Access is horseshit. We already pay for Disney+. If WB can do it, why can't Disney?

Ohh another delay... makes it really weird to think this movie was supposed to be out there for nearly a year already. But it's a very rough period we find ourselves in, so hopefully this is the last delay and we'll be able to enjoy it in theaters. Btw the price on D+ is just ridiculus and it is in addition to the subscricption people are already paying for... anyway for me the theater ticket will cost less, so I'm counting on that😅

3 minutes ago, shazam71069 said:

Okay, I'm gonna say it. Why on Earth can Warner Bros. release ALL of their films on HBO Max FOR NO EXTRA COST and Disney, who made nearly double what WB did last year during a worldwide pandemic, can't release even the majority of their movies on Disney+, for any price. Premier Access is horseshit. We already pay for Disney+. If WB can do it, why can't Disney?

Marvel has a flawless record and I am sure they want to maintain that (that is a big deal for their marketing, and for enticing investors).  The amount they would lose putting it on streaming without a fee just makes no sense (you wouldn't do that either, no matter how much money you made the previous year). Justice League in theaters was a bust - fans and critics alike panned it, so adding footage back in and spending some money on it and releasing it as a way to breath life into a struggling cinematic universe was worth them doing it for no additional fee and I think it will pay off for them in the long run. Disney and WB are not the same thing - quality of content and degree of success are VERY different. I would love to see Black Widow as soon as possible on streaming at no cost too, but I absolutely understand their strategy and why they are not doing that. 

31 minutes ago, MonsterChris said:

I think the assumption is that you're likely to have two or more people gathering in the living room to watch.  Yeah, that is definitely steep, but by the same token you can't take your family to the movies for $30.  Heck, you can't even do two for $30.  Plus no sticky floors, no screaming children, and I can pause while my wife inexplicably has to pee again even though she just went half an hour ago.

It just hurts for people like me who are single.  I usually go to a matinee and it's 8 dollars or less.  

4 hours ago, JayC said:

Yeah they can miss me with that crap. I'm not paying extra on the extra for the exclusive.  I get that they want people to pay to see the Black Widow, but last I checked Disney+ ain't free, so they're already getting paid.

Because the fact is, the more people rationalize that this "really isnt so bad", the more added fees and price hikes become the standard.

You like the Star Wars? Great, well sign up to pay for Disney+!

But oh, you wanna see the Mandalorian? That's an extra tier for our "Premium" customers.

Hey, did you get the Falcon & the Winter Soldier on Disney+? Well if you thought episodes 1-3 hit it out of the park, just wait till you see the rest! Of course, we've upped that to our Exclusive Gold Diamond Platinum tier...but you know its worth it!!

There just has to be a point where we say "no".

Oh well at least the movie is finally coming out, I still think pushing it back was kind of silly, why not just do exactly this but on the planned date? I guess I mean theatres won't be open? or will they I don't live in the land of the U.S. of A, here in Canada theatres probably won't open until next year. so now what are we getting Eternels pushed back to 2022!, I mean Spider-Man 3 will for sure now be 22.

I just want to see these damn movies already, I'd pay 30 bucks to see them right NOW! , all these push backs just keep us from seeing the movies we really want, can't say Black Widow, Shang Chi and Eternels are the top of my want list..but everything after that yeah, but we keep getting those shoved down the line.

42 minutes ago, Inspection12e said:

It just hurts for people like me who are single.  I usually go to a matinee and it's 8 dollars or less.  

Yeah it does.  Hopefully the research will show them making less money at the $30 price point than if they had gone somewhere in the $10 to $20 range.  I'm remembering when e-books first started catching on and everybody was wondering what they should charge for them.  Studios and streaming services will move the line back and forth to see what gets them the best return.

I'm not going to pay it.  I'm with you and will sneak off to a weekday matinee for eight bucks.

well i will be vaccinated by then, so barring any unforeseen complications,  i will try and go see it in a theater. $30 seems a bit steep for one person, but i suppose for a household of 2 or more people its not too bad of a deal.

I think if all goes according to plan everyone in the U.S. who wants to should be able to be vaccinated by the July release date

On New Year's Eve, I attended a viewing party for Wonder Woman 1984. One person had a HBO Max account and we secured a big room with a large TV. Nine of us were able to sit there, socially distanced, and watch the movie. Nine adults. Only one of them had HBO Max. Depending on where you live in the United States, a single movie ticket could be in the $10-12 range (some places more, some less). That means, Warner Bros. should have gotten a percentage of $90-108 dollars based on whatever split they get from the theater chain. But they didn't make that much money; they made a tiny fraction of it from the cost of a single one-month subscription to HBO Max. Warner Bros. lost money from our party; hopefully, they made up for it in other ways.

The Walt Disney Company is a greedy, soulless, monstrous corporation--bless their hearts because I love so much of their product--but they're not about charity or losing money or even breaking even. They expect--demand that all Marvel movies make a billion dollars. They're going to charge as much as they think they can get. And they have to look at averages. Yes, if you're planning to watch the movie alone, $30 is a steep price (although honestly, if you live in Los Angeles or New York and you're also getting snacks, it's not that different). On the other hand, if you're a family of three or four or more, or you want to do a viewing party with friends (which will be much easier in July when most if not all COVID restrictions will be lifted) then $30 is a steal. Don't forget, you also have control of the viewing experience to pause, adjust the volume, temperature control, no assholes texting in the row next to you, no little kids screaming, no one dropping their Coke on the floor, no danger of getting a contact high from the dudes sitting next to you who smell like they grow marijuana in their actual clothes...

Anyway, all I'm trying to say is, while thirty dollars may seem like an egregious price for some of us, that price was carefully researched and analyzed and settled on by a greedy, soulless, monstrous corporation that believes enough people will be willing to pay it to offset their losses. 

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I want the movie to do well so we're more likely to get more like it in the future, and I doubt it will do as well with a dual release, but I also personally have no plans to return to a theater anytime soon. I cheered when the HBO Max stuff announced the dual releases, because I frankly couldn't care less about how they do financially -- whereas I feel like I'm more personally invested in the Marvel stuff and want to see it continue to do well so they keep pumping out content. Mixed feelings. On one side, I'll probably actually see the movie sooner, but I worry about it falling flat and impacting what we get in the future.

4 hours ago, MonsterChris said:

No, this is a long, but temporary, dry-spell that the studios are trying to survive by tapping the consumer a little heavier.

It's not the "New Normal," or the "Future." It's just the way things are right now.

2 hours ago, RyanDaly said:

The Walt Disney Company is a greedy, soulless, monstrous corporation--bless their hearts because I love so much of their product--but they're not about charity or losing money or even breaking even. They expect--demand that all Marvel movies make a billion dollars. They're going to charge as much as they think they can get. And they have to look at averages. Yes, if you're planning to watch the movie alone, $30 is a steep price (although honestly, if you live in Los Angeles or New York and you're also getting snacks, it's not that different). On the other hand, if you're a family of three or four or more, or you want to do a viewing party with friends (which will be much easier in July when most if not all COVID restrictions will be lifted) then $30 is a steal. 

Ah yes with my house hold having 6 people in it $30 is really a steal lol.

Pretty sure I'll be paying the extra $30 to watch. Wouldn't be many movies I'd do that for but I love me some MCU. I've said before too that if they did a major theatrical run when things are normal, I'd pay to see it in theaters as well. 

Considering that we had to pay $15 to rent JL in Mx and only 3 friends could fit socially distanced in the room... paying $30 to have premium unlimited access to the film so that my roomies, my family, my girlfriend's, and me can watch it over and over? No brainer I'm in. It's a way to keep supporting the film industry we love, keep supporting new projects, and keep snack money in my pocket while keeping people who don't know how to enjoy a movie in a theater at bay. I'll pay this for any film I'd go watch at a theater with friends.