John Romita Jr. Returns To Marvel

JayC

ohn Romita Jr. is making his return to the House of Ideas! Starting this July, Romita will enter the Marvel Universe once again to draw some of Marvel’s most iconic characters and titles.

After beginning his career at Marvel decades ago, Romita’s art style has continued to be one of the most recognizable and respected in the comics industry. During his time at Marvel, Romita helmed distinctive runs on titles including Amazing Spider-Man, Uncanny X-Men, Iron Man, Daredevil, and many more. Romita will now bring his indelible talent to some of Marvel’s most iconic series starting later this year.

“I have been very fortunate more than a few times in my life, and now I can add this latest event to that list. I have returned to Marvel, the company that I started my career in, and I couldn’t be more thrilled!” said Romita. “I am literally, at this very moment, working on my next big Marvel project, and it’s a blast!!! I am JUST as excited as I was when I first started, and I will do my best to let the work show that again. I hope fans will see that too!”

Stay tuned for more information on John Romita Jr.’s next Marvel work coming later this July!

JRJR_Marvel.png

I liked his earlier work for Marvel. At some point he started doing a kind of mashed in, mushed up sloppy/sketchy style that didnt appeal to me at all. When he was doing Superman, his work, to me, was almost unrecognizable.  In the picture, he's apparently borrowing some of that Liefeld can't-make-up-his-mind-what-Cap's-shield-size-is-supposed-to-be nonsense.

Sure do miss the stuff he did under his dad, Romita Sr., and Roger Stern. Loved that run. 

While not the most pleasing art style, it's the perfect mix of style, detail and efficiency. He'll probably be able to do multiple titles in the same amount of time it takes these new guys to do one. Good grab, and the reasoning behind it was more than just his value as an artist. He's a pioneer, a veteran and leader in the business with a strong work ethic that a lot of the newer so called "pro's" can learn a lot from.

Meh,.. never was a fan. His art looks.., I don’t know.. half done? Rushed? Can’t put my finger on it. His flying poses always have the characters disappear from the knees down and replaced with “speed lines” .. always seemed lazy to me.

6 hours ago, ADour said:

Can't say I had been missing him. JRjr peaked in the 80s, but the more he pushed into his unique style the uglier his artwork looked. The only time I've enjoyed his modern style was during JMS's Amazing Spider-Man run, but I figure much of it is owed to Scott Hana's inks and Dan Kemp's coloring.

Yeah he definitely benefits from having a good inker; some artists' work looks good no matter who's doing the inking, JR JR is not one of them.