G.I. Joe Shows How To Give The Ladies What They Want - Double-Jointed Elbows

JayC

For a long time now Marvel Legends collectors have been asking Hasbro to give their female Marvel Legends figures double-jointed elbows. Something for the most part Hasbro even today seems very reluctant to do.

Well it looks like the folks working over on Hasbro's 6" G.I. Joe Classified line have no such qualms about giving the female characters double-jointed elbows. Thanks to Douglas who has posted an in-hand image for the new Classified Lady Jaye figure, we can she that she very much has double-jointed elbows, and she doesn't even have sleeves to remotely cover them up.

GIJoe-Lady-Jaye-04__scaled_600.jpg

So what do you think after seeing this figure, should Hasbro give all their 6" Female figures double-jointed elbows including the ones in the Marvel Legends line?

The idea of giving all female Marvel Legends figures is insane! Just consider how flimsy many of the Female Legends legs are now. Why would you want to replicate that in the arms?

Before double jointed elbows are considered I would suggest a more important change would be increasing the overall sturdiness of the plastics used on the ML ladies. I mean half of them can barely even stand on there own...

Not to mention the fact that the single jointed elbows just look soooooo much better. Why ruin a good sculpt just to add a few extra millimeters of elbow range?

Off the top of my head I can think of 3 Marvel Legends female figures with bicep swivel and double jointed elbows- Proxima Midnight, Rescue, and Black Widow quantum armor suit. Clearly Hasbro can make it work, so why isn't it standard? Makes no sense. They can do that plus add extra heads/hands/effects so let's get on it.

Let's be real here--the reason they don't do this with most female ML figures is because they would be ridiculously tiny and prone to breaking.  Even the double-joints on some Spidey figures are incredibly delicate and I've managed to break one being extra careful.  I'm holding a Wasp figure right now and couldn't imagine dealing with a double joint if it was even slightly brittle out of the packaging.

So yeah...it's not a discriminatory thing, it's not something they just "don't want to do" or "forgot", it's a logistics thing; the more narrow the appendage, the less feasible it is to incorporate elbow joints.

You gotta pick a side here. Your either an advocate for double joints and are fine with the reported problems or you're okay wither the current standard an the limited articulation issues.

I know the ML team is prone to BS reasoning behind some of the weird choices they make, but I happen to agree with them on this. To me, double joints on female figs make the smaller arms even more flimsy and actually look more gangly and awkward. I like the aesthetics of the single joint and not too upset about the limitations.

In general, I find the double joints crowd is also the toe joint crowd, and that's cool, if that's your thing, but i think you're still in the distinct minority, regardless of how outspoken the ACBA community. I don't expect a change any time soon. At least for ML.

1 hour ago, monron999 said:

You gotta pick a side here. Your either an advocate for double joints and are fine with the reported problems or you're okay wither the current standard an the limited articulation issues.

I know the ML team is prone to BS reasoning behind some of the weird choices they make, but I happen to agree with them on this. To me, double joints on female figs make the smaller arms even more flimsy and actually look more gangly and awkward. I like the aesthetics of the single joint and not too upset about the limitations.

In general, I find the double joints crowd is also the toe joint crowd, and that's cool, if that's your thing, but i think you're still in the distinct minority, regardless of how outspoken the ACBA community. I don't expect a change any time soon. At least for ML.

Yeah, I just looked at my Toybiz Series 4 Elektra and personally I'm glad Hasbro cut back on the articulation...

I never understood why double-jointed elbows were considered a problem considering Toybiz did them. I'm sure there are some with loose joints, but I have multiple TB female figures that hold their poses just fine. Maybe I don't manipulate them enough. 

My floppiest figure is the first tiger stripe Wolverine Hasbro did for the Red Hulk wave. He collapses fairly regularly. The TB brown costume Wolverine is the same mold and stands much better. Maybe the real problem is in the plastics used. Quality and cost are always in competition.

I think double-jointed elbows are pretty much essential for posing psychics and weapon handlers. Jean Grey needs to touch her head and Psylocke needs to be able to wave her sword all over the place.

It is always nice to see the evidence that they can make double elbows on the ladies but keep the arm looking slim and doesn't distort them, I also am not one of those people who really care all that much about the whole double elbow thing, sure it would be cool, but currently they don't really do it on legends, so I'm fine with that, also I'm in the group who thinks it might make the figures too breakable, but hey, w/e

Remember everyone that ML runs a bit bigger than most other 6 inch lines, so the double-jointed elbows may not be as garish or sculpt-breaking on them.

That being said, I think that the ladies lacking double-jointed elbows (and boot articulation) is what really holds the line back

1 hour ago, Dabboi said:

Remember everyone that ML runs a bit bigger than most other 6 inch lines, so the double-jointed elbows may not be as garish or sculpt-breaking on them.

That being said, I think that the ladies lacking double-jointed elbows (and boot articulation) is what really holds the line back

I'd settle for single joints that are more like Black Series or Classifieds, especially if it can get their better hip, torso and butterfly joints. The state of the current Marvel Legends female bodies is sub-par however we look at it though, and it's easily my biggest bummer with the line. They deserve better.

• 2 weeks later...

As I said before, Hasbro already has shown they can do double jointed elbows on females.  So the argument that it can't be done, fails. If one has to go back to a defunct toy companies' efforts to try to prove a point, that too fails. Technology has improved greatly over the decades. The Hasbro team just stated they plan on increasing the use of double elbows; double-hinged elbows are going to be seen more and more for female figures.