Hasbro Fan Fest Marvel Legends Panel

JayC

1 minute ago, Fyrefly21 said:

Conversely, I'd be happy to keep getting a Haslab project every quarter. Biggest toyline or not, there's just no place at retail for a $300 big box figure anymore. I'd happily keep pitching in for characters like Galactus, Shuma Gorath, Devil Dinosaur, a Celestial, or for difficult to make vehicles like the Fantasticar, or even really elaborate dioramas like the front gate of the Xavier School or Avengers Mansion. I think its a great tool to make things we'd never be able to get otherwise.

I collect too many toy lines (especially Hasbro ones), so I wouldn't be up for a Haslab project every quarter, but maybe every 6 to 8 months (Figuring there will probably also be a Star Wars one that I'll want  with the same regularity), at least if they are all at the $300+ price- if there were some smaller, less-expensive ones mixed in (Like, say a $150.00 Devil Dinsaur...), I'd be open to more. I think that's the thing, we have to face reality- especially with Toys R Us out of business in most countries, there just isn't a place at brick and mortar retail for a $300.00+ action figure related project. Heck, I don't think the last few $150-ish Transformers have been sold at brick and mortar at all. Hasbro is a big company, but they exist to make a profit, and it's a huge, expensive risk to make a pricey item. My only gripe is that I wish Hasbro would give people more warning- they tend to announce them, and then immediately start the pre-order window. Giving people a month or two before then to save up would be great. Galactus would be cool, but I would love some kind of an environment/diorama after that.

5 minutes ago, Hogun said:

I am sick and tired of Hasbro giving Legends to characters even more obscure than me and my friends.

I understand the frustration. I have to believe that we'll get a Thor heavy wave (or two) in the next year or so for the movie. Warriors Three, the Executioner, classic Beta Ray Bill, bearded Thor (simple repaint of the 80th version with a new head). So, so much more. 

On 4/9/2021 at 7:23 PM, Fyrefly21 said:

Conversely, I'd be happy to keep getting a Haslab project every quarter. Biggest toyline or not, there's just no place at retail for a $300 big box figure anymore. I'd happily keep pitching in for characters like Galactus, Shuma Gorath, Devil Dinosaur, a Celestial, or for difficult to make vehicles like the Fantasticar, or even really elaborate dioramas like the front gate of the Xavier School or Avengers Mansion. I think its a great tool to make things we'd never be able to get otherwise.

My dream Haslab project would be a classic comic version of the Avengers Quinjet. I’d have no space for something that big but man that would be a dream come true. 

2 minutes ago, McHogan said:

My dream Haslab project would be a classic comic version of the Avengers Quinjet. I’d have no space for something that big but man that would be a dream come true. 

EB5FD6AE-F26F-44E2-858E-D1FE63F1FEBC.jpeg

This would be my Sail Barge for sure. Exciting, iconic, and far too large for me to ever put on display if they were ever mad enough to try it. I'd even settle for a scaled down one that can fit like 3 or 4 figures and still not find room for it lol

49 minutes ago, Ironspider428 said:

Nope, that body mold has an ab crunch, not a diaphragm joint, and the legs, arms and head are definitely new. 

I agree that it's kind of soon to start another Haslab project, especially for people who bought the Sentinel too. I look at it as Hasbro wanting to release huge figures they can't release otherwise. If the next one is Galactus, it'll scratch an itch that tons of collectors have had for a while and be the biggest Galactus figure ever released, and if Haslab is the way for them to get that out there, I'm all for it.

Huh. I stand corrected. 

35 minutes ago, Fyrefly21 said:

I'm glad you're into it but that's just not something I could do even if I wanted to. My big complaint is that because of the pricing and everything a lot of FF fans who may want a Galactus are left out because the only options are the ridiculously expensive baf or the even more ridiculously expensive haslab one. I get it but it sucks for budget collectors. 

35 minutes ago, RyanDaly said:

I understand the frustration. I have to believe that we'll get a Thor heavy wave (or two) in the next year or so for the movie. Warriors Three, the Executioner, classic Beta Ray Bill, bearded Thor (simple repaint of the 80th version with a new head). So, so much more. 

I bet you're right. I bet there is a very decent version of the Warrior's 3 for the next Thor movie. They are way over due which is often when Hasbro pops those kinds of characters out.

2 minutes ago, sentinelofliberty41 said:

I'm glad you're into it but that's just not something I could do even if I wanted to. My big complaint is that because of the pricing and everything a lot of FF fans who may want a Galactus are left out because the only options are the ridiculously expensive baf or the even more ridiculously expensive haslab one. I get it but it sucks for budget collectors. 

Yeah, I get that. I'm definitely not looking forward to the $400+ he's going to cost, but unfortunately you're not going to get a decently-scaled Galactus for a normal price. A BAF version would either be tiny or if they broke him up over a larger wave or several waves, it would end up around the same price as the Haslab. Even the old BAF was nowhere near the right size.

42 minutes ago, ransomz said:

That Ursa Major really looks great. All the figures look really excellent. Unfortunately I'm not an Iron Man collector. I was able to pre-order Ultron but I'd like to get Ursa, too. I guess it's a long shot they'll release him as a single. Hope springs eternal.

Might have to keep an eye out on Dorkside toys website since they sell completed BAFs. They might be $89 though Ugh.

Edit: Too late. $79. It's sold out LMAO

ursa2.jpeg

I guess I've decided to illustrate my thoughts on the Stealth Iron Man. Really wished Hasbro had gone the extra mile, especially with the precedent of the Silver Centurion. I'm pretty sure this figure would have sat better with the collectors that are thinking "wow, so this is just a straight-up repaint" if it had included some new tooling. I'm particularly bummed about the shoulderpads.

jz0335c2s8s61.png

26 minutes ago, Ironspider428 said:

Yeah, I get that. I'm definitely not looking forward to the $400+ he's going to cost, but unfortunately you're not going to get a decently-scaled Galactus for a normal price. A BAF version would either be tiny or if they broke him up over a larger wave or several waves, it would end up around the same price as the Haslab. Even the old BAF was nowhere near the right size.

I get that for scale but personally I'd be fine with the baf. Much like I just want a Giant-Man that's 9 inches for the 9 foot tall version height he maintained back in the day. Regardless. It is what it is and I'd say they have a lot planned.

2 minutes ago, ADour said:

I guess I've decided to illustrate my thoughts on the Stealth Iron Man. Really wished Hasbro had gone the extra mile, especially with the precedent of the Silver Centurion. I'm pretty sure this figure would have sat better with the collectors that are thinking "wow, so this is just a straight-up repaint" if it had included some new tooling. I'm particularly bummed about the shoulderpads.

jz0335c2s8s61.png

You would think they would have mixed parts from the 80th Stark and Silver Centurion and altered the paint. It practically made itself.

12 hours ago, ADour said:

"....As for the Iron Man wave, the first Iron Man wave since 2013, it's underwhelming. Darkstar and Ultron are not Iron Man-related..."

"....Stealth Iron Man doesn't come with the appropriate retooling. The Stealth Iron Man is supposed to have curved cuffs, shoulder pads, a backpack and a different helmet shape. It's not just the classic armor painted dark blue..."

"....The Modular Iron Man should have come with modular snap-on accessories that even ToyBiz managed to pull off when they did the figure..."

This wasn't the wave for you, I get that, and I see some of your points, but I don't see why any collector gets upset when waves don't "match up" as well as they should. If Hasbro did a Thor or even a Luke Cage/Powerman wave, with the Watcher as the BAF, bizarre as that sounds, I'd still be on it. And Darkstar and Ultron are absolutely Iron Man "related". After her debut in the failed Champions book, she did a number of Iron Man appearances. And yeah, I would've placed Ultron in an Avengers-centric wave myself, and surprised that they didn't, but I'm happy to get him regardless.

I agree that they could've shown more craftsmanship with Stealth armor Iron Man. Really wouldn't have taken that much to do, but at the same time this suit is exactly why I never bothered with the last most recent attempt at a stealth suit. But just like with Silver Centurion, they jacked up the distinguishing feature of the back pack. I'd really love to see how these decisions are made. 

Modular armor looks fantastic, I love it. Although I again agree with you about the "snap-on accessories" or something like it. Meaning, this would've been better as a Deluxe figure. 

4 hours ago, ADour said:

The Hologram Iron Man is 100% pulled out of Hasbro's butt. The most use I can see this figure getting is as a prop in a diorama of Tony Stark's laboratory. I do plan on making a display like that, but my goal is to make it comic-only and, unfortunately, the mold they're using for Hologram Iron Man corresponds to the MK 46 from the MCU.

That was the biggest point of confusion. Like, is this a comic thing or movie thing or what. The sculpt is clearly MCU but there was never anything in the movie, and if it was a comic thing what the hell is the point of an armor made from a hologram? A holo of Tony in a remote armor, yes, but a projection of an armor is basically useless. So basically just filler and a reason to get cash from an older mold.

57 minutes ago, ADour said:

jz0335c2s8s61.png

Hasbro is just keeping up tradition. Almost every version of the Stealth armor made into a figure has just been a repaint of a classic version. It's just something every company does. 

0dad00e4964b5589dd895261607342e1.jpgstealthironmancarter__86860.1519948952.jimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUqhxVsQl2sZ2-1542D0qSTL064725.jpg

Their IM wave just made me do something I've only done 2x in the past  2-3 yrs & that's to  pre-order the entire wave! Kingpin & Stiltman waves were the other 2 & mostly for  BAFs as I sold off every one in the KP wave & only kept Ninja & Frog man along with Stiltman. Being a huge IM fan, this wave contains 5 characters that I'll be keeping, Mod IM, his repulser  blast hands are articulated! Classic Perez Ultron has been in my holy grail list since 2002! Guardsmen have also been at the top of my list since "Armor wars" & Ursa Major has always been a very visually cool character & I'm a big fan of the Supreme Soviets, with both him & Darkstar made along with Red Guardian, we have 50% of the classic team in hand, just need Vanguard, Titanium man & Crimson Dynamo. Riri  & holo IM will be going up on eBay in a heartbeat! That Quasar is also on my list to fill out my classic Avengers team.

1 hour ago, ADour said:

jz0335c2s8s61.png

I can see the shoulder pads and helmet alteration adding a little variety to the figure, but it's hardly a deal-breaker for me. I actually prefer the mid night blue that Hasbro went with over black tones. Ultimately, I've never really cared much for the Stealth version of Iron Man, but this one impressed me enough that I preordered it.

But trust me, when a character is your favorite, I know how every slight inaccuracy or deviation can be super frustrating, especially when there doesn't appear to be any clear logic behind it. 

1 hour ago, enzosaurusrex said:

Might have to keep an eye out on Dorkside toys website since they sell completed BAFs. They might be $89 though Ugh.

Edit: Too late. $79. It's sold out LMAO

ursa2.jpeg

This could be a blessing in disguise; if enough people only want the BAF, that would leave more sets available on retail store shelves

12 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

This wasn't the wave for you, I get that, and I see some of your points, but I don't see why any collector gets upset when waves don't "match up" as well as they should. If Hasbro did a Thor or even a Luke Cage/Powerman wave, with the Watcher as the BAF, bizarre as that sounds, I'd still be on it. And Darkstar and Ultron are absolutely Iron Man "related". Yeah, I would've place Ultron in an Avengers-centric wave myself, and surprised that they didn't, but I'm happy to get him. 

I agree that they could've shown more craftsmanship with Stealth armor Iron Man. Really wouldn't have taken that much to do, but at the same time this suit is exactly why I never bothered with the last most recent attempt at a stealth suit. But just like with Silver Centurion, they jacked up the distinguishing feature of the back pack. I'd really love to see how these decisions are made. 

Modular armor looks fantastic, I love it. Although I again agree with you about the "snap-on accessories" or something like it. Meaning, this would've been better as a Deluxe figure. 

Reflecting something I mentioned in that gripes-with-Legends thread, I think collectors should get a well-rounded display out of a wave. A wave should form a cohesive unit. And that's my issue with Ultron, Darkstar and Ursa Major. Ultron is related to Iron Man by way of the Avengers, but he's not an Iron Man villain. If I'm feeling generous, I would consider him Iron Man tangential. But like I've mentioned before, I already have an Ultron in my Iron Man villains display and I don't feel he belongs there.

As for Darkstar, even if she's been involved in one or two Iron Man stories, and even if the Winter Guard formally debuted in an Iron Man issue, I don't think she qualifies for the label of "Iron Man character." I would say Hasbro feels the same since both she and Ultron have the generic Marvel logo in the front of the package.

I also have to clarify that there's a reason I'm being particularly finicky about the character selection in this wave. Which is the fact that this is the first Iron Man wave in eight years, and who knows when's the next one going to come out. I can live with Shang-Chi or Night Thrasher or Gwenpool being in a Spider-Man wave because Spider-Man has two guaranteed waves every year, not to mention he gets many special releases, with last year's special releases amounting to an entire wave.

Well, there's another reason I'm being finicky and that is that Iron Man is my favorite character. That adds fuel to my stuck-up-dork self. Gotta admit that.

4 minutes ago, ADour said:

As for Darkstar, even if she's been involved in one or two Iron Man stories, and even if the Winter Guard formally debuted in an Iron Man issue, I don't think she qualifies for the label of "Iron Man character." I would say Hasbro feels the same since both she and Ultron have the generic Marvel logo in the front of the package.

It just occurred to me that Hasbro should have swapped Spymaster and the Crimson Dynamo BAF from last year's Black Widow wave with Darkstar and BAF Ursa Major in this wave. Spymaster and Crimson Dynamo are Iron Man villains, and Darkstar and Ursa Major are Russian characters associate with the Winter Guard which fits in the realm of Black Widow and Red Guardian. 

15 minutes ago, tarot said:

Hasbro is just keeping up tradition. Almost every version of the Stealth armor made into a figure has just been a repaint of a classic version. It's just something every company does. 

0dad00e4964b5589dd895261607342e1.jpgstealthironmancarter__86860.1519948952.jimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUqhxVsQl2sZ2-1542D0qSTL064725.jpg

I'm fully aware since collecting Iron Man figures is my thing.

But I think it's worth pointing out that out of those four images, only one isn't a variant to a release of the Classic Armor. When I see variants like these, it's much more understandable that there's no retooling since they're variants. This new figure is its own standalone release. And you have to admit that if there was one opportunity to break this tradition and finally provide a comic-accurate Stealth Iron Man, this was it, especially after they gave the Silver Centurion new boots and gloves and even handplates and the layman wouldn't have noticed if they hadn't done that.

4 minutes ago, RyanDaly said:

It just occurred to me that Hasbro should have swapped Spymaster and the Crimson Dynamo BAF from last year's Black Widow wave with Darkstar and BAF Ursa Major in this wave. Spymaster and Crimson Dynamo are Iron Man villains, and Darkstar and Ursa Major are Russian characters associate with the Winter Guard which fits in the realm of Black Widow and Red Guardian. 

I think I expressed the same thought in my original comment, but that definitely would have been the better course of action.