Hasbro Fan Fest Marvel Legends Panel

JayC

3 hours ago, Fyrefly21 said:

I'd happily keep pitching in for characters like Galactus, Shuma Gorath, Devil Dinosaur, a Celestial, or for difficult to make vehicles like the Fantasticar, or even really elaborate dioramas like the front gate of the Xavier School or Avengers Mansion. I think its a great tool to make things we'd never be able to get otherwise.

But we CAN get a Galactus. Do it as a BAF. That way everybody can have one, not just those who are willing/able to drop 3-500 bucks on a single toy.

1 minute ago, mako said:

But we CAN get a Galactus. Do it as a BAF. That way everybody can have one, not just those who are willing/able to drop 3-500 bucks on a single toy.

No one makes BAFs of that size anymore for a reason, the market just isn't the same as it was in 2005. Galactus can not be both large enough to satisfy scale, especially next to the new Sentinels, and also be a BAF. 

4 minutes ago, mako said:

The scale would have to be laughably small, or the regular 6 inch figures would have to be in packages the size of shoe boxes, or the Galactus pieces would have to be split over twenty different figures. It's impractical or horribly cost-inefficient on Hasbro's part to do Galactus as a BAF unless the designers think the fans will be happy with one that maxes out at ten inches tall. 

6 minutes ago, RyanDaly said:

The scale would have to be laughably small, or the regular 6 inch figures would have to be in packages the size of shoe boxes, or the Galactus pieces would have to be split over twenty different figures. It's impractical or horribly cost-inefficient on Hasbro's part to do Galactus as a BAF unless the designers think the fans will be happy with one that maxes out at ten inches tall. 

A Galactus the size of the HasLab Sentinel, as a BAF, would have to be split up among 40-50 figures. It would be insane. The reality is that if we want figures that big, that is what they are going to cost, and they are going to be HasLab items. I'm fine with that, because the alternative is that we never get items of that magnitude. Personally, I'd be OK with them doing some huge figures that are less elaborate, less posable figures, like the 4-foot-tall Star Wars and Ninja Turtles figures Jakks made for about $100.00 each a handful of years back- a 4 foot tall Galactus with a nice sculpt, but made out of thinner plastic, with less articulation, would work fine for me at $150.00, but I don't think Hasbro would ever go that route.  

We got a Guardsman. He's got fists. I'm happy! A bit weird how they did the helm, given it's always classically been a smooth face-plate and not form-fitting. Ah well...we got a Guardsman, I'm happy! 

Darkstar and Ursa Major...awesome! I cannot adequately express my joy at all these classic B and C list characters we're getting man. Total dream come true for this ol' Super-Geek. Modular Iron Man is just damn sexy! Can't wait to get this wave! (And did Darkstar really sell out that fast on Amazon???)

As for the Haslab? I can see both sides on this, but I want Galactus, and I want him badly......with Nova, the Air-Walker, and of course the gloriously weird and badass Punisher alien Droid. 

43 minutes ago, ADour said:

Reflecting something I mentioned in that gripes-with-Legends thread, I think collectors should get a well-rounded display out of a wave. A wave should form a cohesive unit.

I disagree- I think it is too limiting, and there are far too many figures from far too many different source materials that need to be made. Some figures wouldn't necessarily work with any 5 or 6 other figures, too. It also makes it too easy for people to skip whole waves of the line, which is bad for sales. For example, the 2nd. Age of Apocalypse wave will be the third X-Men wave in a short amount of time to be based on alternate-universe storylines, which I find frustrating when there are so many X-Men characters from the main comics universe that need to be made. I'd rather see one or two AoA figures per X-Men wave, and a better mix of characters per wave.

19 minutes ago, tarot said:

I don't think any one has mentioned this but did anyone else laugh when they admitted their mistake at calling the house of x wave baf the wrong name?

It's happened a few time now with either newer or deep cut characters. Thunderstrike's bio used the wrong civilian name (his son's) and Poison Spider-Man's bio was taken from a completely different character.

31 minutes ago, The Mad Bubbler said:

I disagree- I think it is too limiting, and there are far too many figures from far too many different source materials that need to be made. Some figures wouldn't necessarily work with any 5 or 6 other figures, too. It also makes it too easy for people to skip whole waves of the line, which is bad for sales. For example, the 2nd. Age of Apocalypse wave will be the third X-Men wave in a short amount of time to be based on alternate-universe storylines, which I find frustrating when there are so many X-Men characters from the main comics universe that need to be made. I'd rather see one or two AoA figures per X-Men wave, and a better mix of characters per wave.

I don't think it would be limiting, since pretty much every character can be covered under an umbrella alongside others, it just depends on how wide or narrow it is, just as long as it's there. If there's a character who can totally and absolutely not be covered under an umbrella no matter the width, it's most likely not even going to receive a figure at all.

As a counterpoint to the sales argument, I think thematic cohesion helps sales, since it can incite people to buy all figures in a wave. I've seen collectors mention how they originally intended to buy one figure from the House of X wave, only to think, "You know? This Cyclops would look neat alongside this Wolverine... and what about the Magneto?" and so on. This benefit to thematic cohesion extends to the BaF. In my case, if the BaF for this Iron Man wave had been Iron Man-related, I would have ordered the Ultron. But now I won't even bother with the Hologram Iron Man.

Personally, I favor thematic cohesion because I like the harmony of it. It's kinda holistic.

That being said, just because I prefer waves with a thematic cohesion doesn't mean that I'm entirely opposted to anything else. I've already used this example, but I understand and I'm okay with figures like Gwenpool, Night Thrasher or Shang-Chi being in Spider-Man waves. But Spider-Man gets two waves every year as a baseline . My gripe with the lack of a thematic cohesion in this Iron Man wave comes in great part due to the fact that it's the first Iron Man wave since 2013, and who knows when is the next Iron Man wave going to be.

When the rumors for the Eye of Agamotto came up I told my girlfriend that I was getting it. She smiled and said "well, yeah. I mean, you already have 2 other stones, Thanos" referring to the Teseract from the SDCC Red Skull and the Orb from the Phase Two boxset. 

Should I marry her now or yesterday?

I’m pretty excited about adding to the Winter Guard ranks. Red Guardian, one of the two Crimson Dynamos, plus Dark Star and Ursa Major, will make a nice team.

Plus that Ursa Major is one new head away from getting us Spider-Man fans a Grizzly figure!

edit - Also meant to say that I’m excited they are making my second favorite Domino uniform (the first being from Ian Christiansen’s work on the Cable solo series)

Considering the FF Retro wave that's supposed to be coming, I'd be shocked if the Fantasticar would come with a retro FF- they'd be much more happy to sell us those separately. It would be well timed for a Fantasticar release though.

My bet is still Galactus, but that might just be my Marvel Cosmic love blinding me first and foremost. 

Yeah as soon as I could I pre-ordered this wave (minus Mod IM), when it hit a Canadian retailer, I'm happy with that decision, Ursa is a must have for me, Ultron, Darkstar, Vault Guard, RiRi as well, I always have been a big fan of the stealth look and on that new mold I couldn't say no, same with how cool that Hologram IM looks. First BAF of the year I had to have so far.

happy we got this wave revealed today.

2 hours ago, The Mad Bubbler said:

Yea I don't get what Hasbro is doing with the X-men waves, tbh.  It's not like they're doing a whole wave of just Into the Spider-Verse characters, or ALL Spider-man 2099 figures. 

Of course, I've gotten all the AOA and HOX figures so far but I'd rather they go with your suggestion of sprinkling in AOA figures in an X-men wave and slowly build it out that way.

Iron Man gets his first wave since Iron man 3 and I'm disappointed, a lame hologram armour, Ruri isn't in her own armour and two Winter Guard members, instead of adding in some actual Iron Man villains, like Titanium man and Crimson Dynamo.

Disappointed there was no Retro stuff either, but at least this panel was better than the Power Rangers one.

4 hours ago, RyanDaly said:

Not if they make some of the pieces inflatable, like a tube man you see at the auto dealerships. 

For me, this is just two figures short of being an absolutely perfect wave.

Really surprised, and delighted, that they went with Ursa Major as the BAF. Never imagined they'd do this guy, so the wave was an immediate pre-order 10 seconds after I saw this.

The volume (and choice) of Iron Man figures, though? Too much. And that seems to be the consensus from everyone else's posts. Stealth & Hologram aren't bad, but they are 100% NOT needed (better as store exclusives IMHO, especially as another regular Iron Man with hologram head is also imminent-ish).

With those gone Titanium Man, Vanguard, comic Whiplash, classic Crimson Dynamo could have been included, and I can't help thinking these would have made a truly beautiful and flawless wave.

Also, really happy with how the figures turned out, the wealth of swap heads and the lack of repaints: Ironheart (no interest in her as a character, but that figure looks great); Darkstar is not necessarily how I'd have done her, but I still love the fact that this figure is happening. And the Modular Armour Iron Man & Vault Guardsman are both superb. That's a cracking wave, and makes up for the horrific Shang Chi & Eternals waves and a so-so Villains/Xenmu wave.

4 hours ago, enzosaurusrex said:

Yea I don't get what Hasbro is doing with the X-men waves, tbh.  It's not like they're doing a whole wave of just Into the Spider-Verse characters, or ALL Spider-man 2099 figures. 

Of course, I've gotten all the AOA and HOX figures so far but I'd rather they go with your suggestion of sprinkling in AOA figures in an X-men wave and slowly build it out that way.

Thirded! I'm going to buy ALL comic figures anyway, but I do think the bespoke waves are limiting, and more likely to put collectors off. For me, 10 dedicated AOA waves would be fine, but not everyone likes that arc, and I think ALL waves should try and appeal to the broadest cross-section of fans. 

I don't want to think how long it's taken, or how much money I've spent to get the full 1992 X-Men #1 line-up, but it's been worth it. I still don't have a 100% complete AOA team; or an All-New X-Men team (Banshee needed), a 1985/Mutant Massacre era team (Rachel and Kitty needed) or an early years New Mutants team, but the thought that I'm close is a hell of an incentive to buy more!

personally not a big fan of having a 2nd AoA wave, but given the impending price increase i was planning to cut back on the number of figures i buy anyhow.  Also with the 1st wave the lure was the Sugarman BAF which i found pretty amazing, plus at the time there was kind of a "there might not be a tomorrow" feeling due to the pandemic that led me to buy figures with more abandon (and even at that, still ended up getting half the wave on clearance).   I'm not sure they'll be able to come up with a BAF for the 2nd wave that is as compelling, at least for me personally.

feels like we've debated the pros and cons of thematic waves many times before, so i won't rehash it except to say it can be great from a consumer standpoint but i feel that mixed waves are better from a business point of view. But hasbro seems to be playing around with more unified waves lately (be they x-related or mcu) and i assume they know better than i would what is best for sales, short- and long-term

I can see hasbro making another sought after BAF for the second AOA wave. There is no way they would make Sabretooth, who was a major part of the story, the BAF. It be like making Spider-man the BAF of his own wave (though they still need to make a Man-Spider and Spider-Hulk). A redone Nemesis/Holocaust would be great but for my money it needs to be someone new, like Abyss or Wolverine (no not that one the AOA version). 

Then again Hasbro does try and work in characters that have never been done in Marvel Legends like Morph, Wild Child and Nate Gray that can be used in other displays so I'm hoping they do that for this wave as well. Maybe Mikhail?